Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Ettin posted:

The great thing about this is that it's so easy. Even just writing up a load of sample aspects and stunts can work if they're really engaging and not just "You get +2 to this thing!". But nope, that's too hard.

If I didn't have things to do this morning I could cry a whole river of tears about shovelware in the Fate thread.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not because it legitimately is pretty dam hard to come up with engaging stunts.

Davin Valkri posted:

Possibly because it makes me feel that my ideas are doomed to failure :(
I am absolutely certain that your that your ideas aren't any more absurd than mine and its not stopping me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Flavivirus posted:

There's New Fire, which is set in the myths and legends of precolumbian mesoamerica. It had a kickstarter, but I'm not sure if it's been released to the public.

It's up for sale on DriveThru.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does anyone have a kind word to say either for Cubicle 7's Rocket Age or whether the Doctor Who Vortex system would work for that kind of a pulpy retrofuture game? I'm contemplating grabbing it but don't want to jump in blind.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Doctor Who should probably work fine for pulp, as it's pretty simple. My first though is that the initiative system might need some changes, but then I realized it's pretty much perfect. Talker, movers, doers, fighters, is perfect for pulp. The Big bad can always get away if needed at the start of a round, and he gets to spout his evil monologue before people can blast him. Clever plans get a chance to work out too before the guns start going off.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 9, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Discussion of truenamers should begin and end with dong

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Swags posted:

Okay, so I started a new group here in Seattle since I moved. Seem like a cool group of dudes. We're going to play Shadowrun one week, and the next is a mish-mash of 3.5/Pathfinder, where the DM is basically allowing everything. Apparently they're accustomed to power gaming, but I told them I have no intents to do such and that my girlfriend doesn't really know how to make a dude so I'll be making it for her. So they've held off on power, but are still allowing everything. I'm liking this.

I'm liking this, specifically, because it means I get to play a Binder. Binders were, by far, my absolute favorite part of 3.5. I'll play one every chance I get, because you basically get the ability to be a new character every single day. It's glorious. More than efficiency in my characters, I love versatility, so I'm loving this.

So I decide to look it up and see if anyone has updated the binder to Pathfinder from 3.5. Turns out some guy named Dario Nardi has released not one, but FOUR books on the subject (Secrets of Pact Magic, Villains of Pact Magic, Pact Magic Unbound Vol.1 and Pact Magic Unbound Vol.2). Something like 600 pages of stuff. And it's really, really good, guys. Like, I'm genuinely impressed with the thought he's put into designing new vestiges and new classes and feats, etc. It's honestly, genuinely good and it's about my favorite class. Honestly, pretty much the only Pathfinder/3.5 class I can really stomach. I am so gleefully excited to play this weekend that I can't wait.

Oh, and for Shadowrun I made a crazy old Chinese alchemist so that I could screw around playing the old guy from Big Trouble in Little China while my girlfriend's troll adept goes around going "CAN I AXE YOU A QUESTION HAR HAR SERIOUSLY THOUGH THIS IS AN AXE." This group should be fun.

*Binder Fistbump*

I played Red Hand of Doom with a changeling binder. We refluffed it so instead of the vestige thing he was basically the phylactery of a dead pantheon.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Judgement posted:

I have been invited to take part in a campaign set in "Zakhara", part of the Forgotten Realms that is apparently "Arabian" themed. So. On a scale of one to the republican party, exactly how racist should I expect this game to be?
It's not that bad as a product. How racist are your friends? Especially given 9/11 is around the corner?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Saguaro PI posted:

*Binder Fistbump*

I played Red Hand of Doom with a changeling binder. We refluffed it so instead of the vestige thing he was basically the phylactery of a dead pantheon.

That sounds like an incredible way to refluff binding.

I think my backstory for my new one is going to be as follows: The DM said the world was wrecked by magic once. A while back something bad happened and it made it so that if too much high level magic existed in one place, the world would start spitting out all these crazy Wild Magic-ish type effects. So the nations of the world came together and decided to basically have a universal moratorium on high level magic. Well, something recently has happened and this city at the middle of where all the countries meet has somehow shattered the anti-magic barrier, so now magical people are beginning to flock there. We're supposed to be playing emissaries from each of the separate countries out to get what we can for our homeland.

I actually wanted to be the descendant of the guy that caused the initial conflagration. I think I'm going to say it was Karsus, the vestige, and bind him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Swags posted:

That sounds like an incredible way to refluff binding.

I think my backstory for my new one is going to be as follows: The DM said the world was wrecked by magic once. A while back something bad happened and it made it so that if too much high level magic existed in one place, the world would start spitting out all these crazy Wild Magic-ish type effects. So the nations of the world came together and decided to basically have a universal moratorium on high level magic. Well, something recently has happened and this city at the middle of where all the countries meet has somehow shattered the anti-magic barrier, so now magical people are beginning to flock there. We're supposed to be playing emissaries from each of the separate countries out to get what we can for our homeland.

I actually wanted to be the descendant of the guy that caused the initial conflagration. I think I'm going to say it was Karsus, the vestige, and bind him.

Considering that is the actual plot of Karsus, that works quite well.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ascendance posted:

It's not that bad as a product. How racist are your friends? Especially given 9/11 is around the corner?

It helps that Zakhara doesn't try to fantasy up Islam, and instead includes an invented religion that combines some aspects of Islam with some aspects of spirit worship within a standard fantasy polytheistic pantheon frame. Also, all races are considered "civilized" in Zakhara, so you have orc viziers commanding dwarf mamalukes and the like.

It's probably the best handled real-world analog.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Arivia posted:

Considering that is the actual plot of Karsus, that works quite well.

Yeah, I vaguely remember reading about the actual Karsus from the whole Forgotten Realms thing. Vaguely. I just think it sounds really fun to want to bring the entire world under my iron fist in a global, magical empire.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

So, it pleases me to announce that we have a winner in August's TGD Contest: Antivehicular with Managing Armageddon! In addition, I'm awaiting the replies of the finalists about donating one printing of each of their final entries into the library of my college's Gamer's Club, so they can be enjoyed by future generations of gamers to pass through the school.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I still have no idea how you'd actually run the drat thing, but it sure is interesting.

Primitive hunter-gatherers trying to survive is my guess. I'm not sure how much fun that would be though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
This may work better in a radio announcer voice.

So, it's about time I mentioned Rogue Republic MUCK. It's a online Mutants & Masterminds 3e game founded largely by goons, and we've been running since July 2nd. Where most Mutants & Masterminds MU* (MUSH, MUX, MUCK) games to this point have been superhero games, we've opted more for a supervillain theme around the island of Isla Calavera, a small republic founded by the dastardly and destructive!

Founded by the megalomanical genius of Tyrant and his Dire Cohorts, Isla Calavera was a haven for the sinister and villainous, building a first-world economy with superhuman gifts, darkest science, grim sorcery, and mad genius. Tyrant unified the island under a singular purpose - his purpose - until his sudden and unexplained death in 2009.

Now, things have become complicated.

Members of the newly-formed Dark Senate vie for power as outside forces like the superhero team RESCUE or the American government seek to undermine the island's sovereignty. Meanwhile, everything from incoming meteors and genocidal apes threaten the island, even as struggles between the Dark Senate and local, home-grown superheroes and rebels threaten to tear it apart. And meanwhile, weirdness fills all the cracks, from deadly game shows to kaiju monster attacks!

Rogue Republic MUCK is an supervillain and superhero game with a mix of four-color traditions and modern comic sensibilities, where villains are the authority and strangeness is the status quo. We're easygoing about concepts and tighter on rules, with a casual environment that lets you play at your own pace. Our extensive house rules and character review process are aimed towards reducing the impact of optimization and speeding online play. We have a wiki that has our character creation guidelines, house rules, setting details, character list, rp logs, and more! To play, all you need is a telnet MUSH or MUCK application like MUSHClient, BeipMU, or Potato MU* Client.

We can be found at http://rogue.doesntexist.org/!

We're open for RP, so come on down, meet everyone, and work on a character! Feel free to chat and introduce yourself to people. Once you have a character bit and you're sure you enjoy the atmosphere, follow the rest of the chargen rules and so you'll be well on your way to action and misadventure!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

There is actually a MU* thread in this forum. You might wanna toss that there and I'll add it to the OP later.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Reene posted:

There is actually a MU* thread in this forum. You might wanna toss that there and I'll add it to the OP later.

I'd forgotten, probably because it solely seemed to mention MUDs in the OP. But it's tossed on over, thanks!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Everybody, quick! Ettin is playing Dangan Ronpa until the weekend! Let's have a party! He'll never know!

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
I will now explain in great detail why the following users are idiot babies who s

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Everybody out of the closet! :toot::hf::gay:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The closet or the clown car?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Really when you think about it a clown car is just a closet for clowns. The question is, why would you store clowns?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

mr.capps posted:

Really when you think about it a clown car is just a closet for clowns. The question is, why would you store clowns?

Wellllllll you can't just leave them out.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Ettin's away, that means it's time to Brony things up!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I have a confession to make:

I'm RPGPUNDIT irl, and I've been running a deep infiltration on you swine bastards for a long time.

I win. :smaug:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mr.capps posted:

My God, it's a prison! You fools!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Error 404 posted:

I'm RPGPUNDIT irl, and I've been running a deep infiltration on you swine bastards for a long time.

If you can call that "winning."

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

My God, it's a prison! You fools!

It's a clowncentration camp

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Libertad! posted:

Ettin's away, that means it's time to Brony things up!

Wow okay I'm back now.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Libertad! posted:

If you can call that "winning."

:troll:

Edit:vvv I am. :troll::troll:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Error 404 posted:

dang, thought you were red mage

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Error 404 posted:

:troll:

Edit:vvv I am. :troll::troll:

That 0:37 mark has never been more appropriate.

Ettin posted:

Wow okay I'm back now.

On a serious note, after I complete my F&F of Spears of the Dawn (whenever that is), I have some other planned books to review. I was thinking of doing Ponyfinder Campaign Setting, Midgard Campaign Setting, Tome of Battle/Path of War, or Scarlet Heroes as my next thing. Although given my Ptolus thing being in hiatus, I'd probably do better sticking to a reasonably-sized books first.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 11, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Tollymain posted:

dang, thought you were red mage

Red Mage is dead.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Gau posted:

Red Mage is dead.

Wow, Ettin really cleaned house. Plutonis next?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Gau posted:

Red Mage is dead.

Wait, do you mean literally dead?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Gau posted:

Red Mage is dead.

And they said you don't finish what you start.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Sagan posted:

And they said you don't finish what you start.

:vince:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Libertad! posted:

That 0:37 mark has never been more appropriate.

On a serious note, after I complete my F&F of Spears of the Dawn (whenever that is), I have some other planned books to review. I was thinking of doing Ponyfinder Campaign Setting, Midgard Campaign Setting, Tome of Battle/Path of War, or Scarlet Heroes as my next thing. Although given my Ptolus thing being in hiatus, I'd probably do better sticking to a reasonably-sized books first.

Scarlet Heroes is good, do Scarlet Heroes!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah I'll second that, Scarlet Heroes is a retrogame with some pretty cool ideas and it explicitly sets itself up as a game for solo play between a GM and one player which is something a lot of RPGs gloss right over or try to steer you away from. It's definitely one of the more interesting D&D-alikes I've come across.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Error 404 posted:

But what kind of tobacco are you currently smoking? This is important, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

DocBubonic posted:

Primitive hunter-gatherers trying to survive is my guess. I'm not sure how much fun that would be though.

I played a session once that was set in pre-Honour system L5R, where we were tribe members going through a coming of age ceremony (killing a boar) and then rescuing the village chief's daughter who'd been kidnapped by a neighbouring tribe. Seemed to work decently.

• Locked thread