Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Commander of the army of the Potomac was probably the shittiest command job in the war. The abundance of rivers and confederate controlled rail lines ensured that absent a gigantic confederate blunder, Richmond would be one of the last cities captured.

'Confederate rail line' is an oxymoronic phrase. Rivers were still the most rapid means of transportation in America until the standardization of national rail gauge completed and reconstruction thusly ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Something about this cube makes me feel it's incomplete without a bunch of labeled arrows pointing out of it or a stress tensor next to it

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Plus I was talking about Grant's presidency (not the Civil War which Grant won) so yes let us hear all the ways Grant was a failure in war, the war won

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

Plus I was talking about Grant's presidency (not the Civil War which Grant won) so yes let us hear all the ways Grant was a failure in war, the war won

He had horrid camp discipline and cleanliness standards, the two factors which resulted in two thirds of all civil war casualties.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

My Imaginary GF posted:

'Confederate rail line' is an oxymoronic phrase. Rivers were still the most rapid means of transportation in America until the standardization of national rail gauge completed and reconstruction thusly ended.

Err... Not sure why you think the Confederate rail lines were a non-factor considering it was the Union cavalry action at Appomattox Station and the loss of the ability to rearm/transport his troops that ended Lee's hopes of slipping away from Grant. Hell, it was Grant's seizure of Sutherland Station that forced Lee's withdrawal from Richmond in the first place. Strategically the Confederates were of course completely outmatched by the Union when it came to rail lines, but that doesn't mean that it never played into the situation. I'm willing to take it to a military history or American history thread somewhere if you want to hash it out.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

He had horrid camp discipline and cleanliness standards, the two factors which resulted in two thirds of all civil war casualties.

We're supposed to believe the absence of germ theory was unique to Grant's campaign in that point in history and that most casualties in wars throughout wars in history weren't from this factor?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Err... Not sure why you think the Confederate rail lines were a non-factor considering it was the Union cavalry action at Appomattox Station and the loss of the ability to rearm/transport his troops that ended Lee's hopes of slipping away from Grant. Hell, it was Grant's seizure of Sutherland Station that forced Lee's withdrawal from Richmond in the first place. Strategically the Confederates were of course completely outmatched by the Union when it came to rail lines, but that doesn't mean that it never played into the situation. I'm willing to take it to a military history or American history thread somewhere if you want to hash it out.

We can ask there. My understanding is that confederate rail lines were pretty much completely separate gauges with no standard truckage production, in addition to the absolute lack of supplementary canal systems throughout the south due to their anti-sabbatarian stances.

I'm saying the south's limited logistical infrastructure development was in such a state that it had little bearing on the conduct of the war, while having the utmost bearing on the outcome of the war and the reconstruction which followed.

E:

Berke Negri posted:

We're supposed to believe the absence of germ theory was unique to Grant's campaign in that point in history and that most casualties in wars throughout wars in history weren't from this factor?

McClellan established best camp practices for the Army of the Potomac. Grant didn't follow them. And it wasn't absense of knowledge of best practices, it was disregard for managing them.

Simply, don't poo poo within four feet of where you plan to have men walk barefoot in the south. Dig some loving outhouses for your camp.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 11, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

Captain Ramius, is that you?!:ussr:

No but Sean Connery was right, Halsey was a fool and acted stupidly. Guadalcanal was 100% dumb luck and Samar ranks as one of the most impressive victories of a vastly inferior force in history due to the balls of the captains involved when by all accounts they should have been crushed because of Halsey's idiocy. Typhoon Cobra was where his luck finally went to poo poo and it did so in spectacular fashion.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

And McClellan didn't give a poo poo for crushing the slave power, but Grant did, and did. I thought you were a pragmatic soul?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

And McClellan didn't give a poo poo for crushing the slave power, but Grant did, and did. I thought you were a pragmatic soul?

Grant evolved on the issue with Lincoln. McClellan gave a poo poo about early war aims, when decisive victory was perceived as the quick end to the war with a political settlement on slavery then possible.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
americans love talking about the civil war because it's the only war they've ever won

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Exclamation Marx posted:

americans love talking about the civil war because it's the only war they've ever won

The War of (Southern/Northern) (Treason/Aggression).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Exclamation Marx posted:

What about Ronald Reagan's brave stand against runway pavement contractors? :911:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Exclamation Marx posted:

Please don't disrespect the veterans of Grenada.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Exclamation Marx posted:

Pretty sure we kicked the poo poo out of Mexico that one time.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
happy 9/11 day everyone. never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NecoBo0BhEk

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

I've been wondering this for a while but am I the only American who finds the actual combat actions and strategies and commanders and stuff and not the political or social part of the Civil war kind of uninteresting?

If I read this correctly then no I'm the same way, the military stuff is only interesting to me inasmuch as it's an easy starting point for 'what-if's. Same with the world wars.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I feel like we should come up with some cheery 9/11 day traditions.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

paragon1 posted:

I feel like we should come up with some cheery 9/11 day traditions.

Get bombed and eat NY-style pizza?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Feasting should definitely be a part of it. I agree with Joementum that Americans don't have enough feast holidays.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was Obama's imperial message inspiring? I somehow forgot to watch it. Are the troops readied? Is our vigilance constant?

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014

euphronius posted:

Was Obama's imperial message inspiring? I somehow forgot to watch it. Are the troops readied? Is our vigilance constant?

Maybe, but we've certainly had some private sector job growth.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

paragon1 posted:

Feasting should definitely be a part of it. I agree with Joementum that Americans don't have enough feast holidays.
Americans of the Jewish faith (or cultural tradition) seem to have a lot.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Randler posted:

It's kind of impressive how during the 20th century America moved from a traditionally isolationist position more towards the big meddler, because once you pop you can't stop.

I wish, though I know it is impossible, the USA would go back to being isolationist.. think how great it would be, locked down, internal development, maybe pumping money into our cool and good schools and making them sick and modern, learning science and stuff, people taking pride in their community ftw.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It's been a year since VileRat died. Has anyone heard from his family recently? Are his kids okay?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

We're gonna have more jobs than General Giap had sharpened bamboo sticks, because we're strong

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ssbbud posted:

Maybe, but we've certainly had some private sector job growth.

Guns AND butter? the miracle of capitalism.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

Sarah Palin was bitching about him doing it half assed. I thought her incoherent word vomit was hilarious at least.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

euphronius posted:

Gulf War 3: Third time is the charm.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well the Caliphate is going to get the war they wanted I guess.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
We're gonna degrade and ultimately1 destroy ISIS *pivots incomprehensibly to stump speech, as though a stroke suddenly cut off blood flow to the area of the brain governing tact and propriety*

1code for "in decades, after they've evolved into Steel ISIS 7 and killed one billion Arabs"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

ReindeerF posted:

Americans of the Jewish faith (or cultural tradition) seem to have a lot.

Yeah but we also have that one day where you can't eat so that balances out.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

I just ignore Yom Kippur. Only 'eat more' traditions please.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Back in the day, young go-getter leaders-to-be would organize their own militias to go fight Imperial Threat of the Day. Now they complain on their weblogs about how much their flavored coffee costs.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Wouldn't an actual American intervention basically be what the Iraq war was supposed to? As in, the US is actually welcome by the population and seen as a liberator.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zakharov posted:

Deeply religious orthodox Jews technically have four more fasts. There's also the week where you can't eat anything that might accidentally become unleavened-bread-like.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
WHENEVER those states which have been acquired as stated have been accustomed to live under their own laws and in freedom, there are three courses for those who wish to hold them: the first is to ruin them, the next is to reside there in person, the third is to permit them to live under their own laws, drawing a tribute, and establishing within it an oligarchy which will keep it friendly to you. Because such a government, being created by the prince, knows that it cannot stand without his friendship and interest, and does its utmost to support him; and therefore he who would keep a city accustomed to freedom will hold it more easily by the means of its own citizens than in any other way.

We already tried the third option and I doubt Obama's going to move to Baghdad for the second one, so Ruin it is!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His peace prize should be held in blind escrow like Cheney's Halliburton shares.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah so someone at the DC Public School system is in a bit of hot water...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they are both male quadrupeds who spoke indo-european languages. Come on.

• Locked thread