Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm serious. I know a lot of huge bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
But how did Kanye cope with not being the centre of attention during this incident?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
This is low effort trolling, even for you Mills.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Jumpingmanjim posted:

But how did Kanye cope with not being the centre of attention during this incident?

Mate read my story, this was before Kanye even got onstage!!!

If it makes it better though, it means those dickheads paid for their tickets and got kicked out before they even saw yeezy :)

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Do you really need me to message one of them and ask if they consider the tag 'huge bitch' socially acceptable?

I'll do it. For AusPol. Just say the word.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

I love Ellinghausen.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Mills are you still upset about getting kicked out?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Of where?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The concert, we went over this!

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Haha they're idiots for doubling down.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Mills posted:

Haha they're idiots for doubling down.

Yeah the proper response when you're being called on your bullshit is :shrug: and walk away. Everyone knows that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kommando posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-10/community-television-kicked-off-air-by-federal-government/5733690

Community TV? Channel 31? Thats gotta go.

Minister for Communications wants to kill public access TV. Cant say im surprised any more.

That pisses me off. Community TV has been a great place for new talent to come through, and shows whose interests/topics only suit a small audience can thrive.

On the good news side, Victoria Labor is going to rip up the contracts for the East West tunnel if they win government in November

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

:shrug:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The door to this clown car is OPEN FOR BUSINESS!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-10/share-market-falls-as-consumer-confidence-drops/5734994

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-10/consumer-confidence-slides-back-towards-post-budget-lows/5733264

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mills has literally resorted to "lol u r fat"? Wow. Mills, as a child did you ever gargle bleach or draino on a dare? It'd explain a lot.

EDIT: Also unironically thinks women like being called bitches. Wow, Mills, just wow.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 11, 2014

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

What sort of experience do you have, and what would you be looking for next? What part of Australia are you in?

One thing you could look into is try volunteering somewhere. Yes, it's shithouse that you'll be working for free, but if you're at the rock bottom point anyway, it can be a good way to keep yourself active, pad up your resume, and get some good references if you don't have many.

Ideally try and find somewhere you can bum some fringe benefits off them without looking like a total mooch and getting on their bad side. I really lucked out with my volunteering by going to some nice community gardens. I got a fair bit of free food from either the gardens or their morning teas.

Well I've got waiting experience, but my boss isn't going to give me a reference now so haha. I'm in Canberra, just trying to apply for places but I don't have a car and public transport is shithouse here. So I'm limited to the southern area of Canberra realistically, honestly I'm just having a lot of trouble finding places that don't require qualifications I don't have in Canberra.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

What? Where did I say that? Are you an idiot?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Ammonsa posted:

Well I've got waiting experience, but my boss isn't going to give me a reference now so haha. I'm in Canberra, just trying to apply for places but I don't have a car and public transport is shithouse here. So I'm limited to the southern area of Canberra realistically, honestly I'm just having a lot of trouble finding places that don't require qualifications I don't have in Canberra.
This thread has ideas for online work, might be worth a look.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Ammonsa posted:

Is there a supermarket/s near you? I got hired at one with 0 experience the year I dropped out of school, in Canberra and everything.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ammonsa posted:

Canberra, huh? I don't know much about the city, but if you're greenie-inclined enough to follow Auspol and are looking for a place to network, I'd recommend checking out the monthly Green Drinks group. The guy running it used to run the group here in Brisbane before he moved, and is pretty drat cool.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
Some spectacular FYGM from Coca Cola's warehouse staff. They do realise the company will invent ways to boot them to replace them with cheaper employees?

http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/cocacola-amatil-slashes-wages-with-new-employees-to-work-for-less-20140910-10exj8.html

quote:

Hundreds of workers at Coca-Cola Amatil's warehouses around the country will cop a pay freeze and new hires will receive pay of 38 per cent less to do the same job under new pay deals that provide a stark warning of the pressure on wages across the economy.

A spokesman for the United Voice union, which represented some of the 90-odd workers at Coke's Victorian warehouses, said it had no idea why workers would accept such an agreement.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Thanks for some of the suggestions, guys. There's no local supermarkets near me, just the big ones, Woolworths, Coles. I don't understand how but I've never managed to even get an interview for them, even though I apply and send in expressions of interest (because they never have the actual vacant openings at the stores I can get to).

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

Some spectacular FYGM from Coca Cola's warehouse staff. They do realise the company will invent ways to boot them to replace them with cheaper employees?

http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/cocacola-amatil-slashes-wages-with-new-employees-to-work-for-less-20140910-10exj8.html

Well they're effectively reducing their wage each year.

Also guy next to you earning over a third more is going to be great for morale.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Ammonsa posted:

Thanks for some of the suggestions, guys. There's no local supermarkets near me, just the big ones, Woolworths, Coles. I don't understand how but I've never managed to even get an interview for them, even though I apply and send in expressions of interest (because they never have the actual vacant openings at the stores I can get to).
I got a job at one of these a few years back. There is an online portal you're meant to apply through that I didn't know about. I went down in person and asked, and they told me to come back the next day to start training. Nobody looked at my resume, and it wasn't until halfway through filling out paperwork that they told us what jobs we'd actually been hired for*. I managed to get a friend hired a few months later because they needed more people and I suggested him. If you have any friends who work in these places, see if they can put in a good word.
Also: around Christmas the supermarkets (and many other places that get busy, like JB Hifi and Myer) hire extra staff. If you can wait three months that might provide (temporary) relief.
Try fast food as well. Selling burgers was the worst job I ever had, but it paid.

*There were pretty serious issues with how the store was run at the time. I don't want to imagine what their HR processes looked like where this was the best way to hire people.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

I doubt they thought they could actually get a better deal tbh. They'd have known it was a lovely one. Lots of people think things are pretty dire right now and are prepared to do whatever just to keep their jobs :/

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

fuckin

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

The Democratic Labour Party (DLP) says it is prepared to take High Court action to reclaim the senate seat held by John Madigan.

Senator Madigan dramatically walked away from the party last week, saying he would serve out his term as an independent.

Federal president of the DLP, Paul Funnell, said he has written to the Victorian Governor seeking to have Mr Madigan removed from the Upper House.

"We have written to the Governor [Alex] Chernov to advise the Federal Senate that we actually will be nominating a senate delegate to fill the vacant position," Mr Funnell told ABC Statewide Drive Victoria.

"It's our contention that the sixth Victorian senate seat, that was won in 2010, is vacant because of the resignation."

He said if the move failed, the party would take its case to the High Court.

:munch:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
The WA EPA has advised that drum lines not be used to kill sharks in WA this summer. Barnett has indicated that the government will follow this advices and drum line program will not proceed this summer.

The drum lines did not catch a single white pointer, the species they were intened to cull.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Has this ever happened before?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Haters Objector posted:

Has this ever happened before?

Pretty sure yes. He keeps his seat until he steps down.

Senators have even changed parties, totally fine. But when they step down the original party gets to nominate the replacent

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

norp posted:

Pretty sure yes. He keeps his seat until he steps down.

Senators have even changed parties, totally fine. But when they step down the original party gets to nominate the replacent

Should have been clearer, what I meant was has a party ever managed to get a member replaced after he resigned from them during a term? I would have thought not.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Ammonsa posted:

Fyshwick?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Haters Objector posted:

Should have been clearer, what I meant was has a party ever managed to get a member replaced after he resigned from them during a term? I would have thought not.

Seats in the Australian Parliament are explicitly held by candidates, not by parties.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Yeah, he resigned the party, not the seat. They're trying to argue the party holds the seat. I think the response from the Governor will probably have them shelve their High Court plans.

Nibbles! fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 11, 2014

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

T-1000 posted:

I got a job at one of these a few years back. There is an online portal you're meant to apply through that I didn't know about. I went down in person and asked, and they told me to come back the next day to start training. Nobody looked at my resume, and it wasn't until halfway through filling out paperwork that they told us what jobs we'd actually been hired for*. I managed to get a friend hired a few months later because they needed more people and I suggested him. If you have any friends who work in these places, see if they can put in a good word.
Also: around Christmas the supermarkets (and many other places that get busy, like JB Hifi and Myer) hire extra staff. If you can wait three months that might provide (temporary) relief.
Try fast food as well. Selling burgers was the worst job I ever had, but it paid.

*There were pretty serious issues with how the store was run at the time. I don't want to imagine what their HR processes looked like where this was the best way to hire people.

Yeah I do know about the online portal, I tried to hand in resume in person but they just refused to accept it and said to apply online. But the online portal didn't have any openings in the stores I can get to.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
The High Court has declared indefinite detention to be unconstitutional.

quote:

High court verdict spells the end for Australian immigration detention as we know it

Today’s landmark hearing clearly set out the constitutional limits on detaining non-citizens. The federal government will now have to release or process thousands of asylum seekers

Today’s high court verdict, which dealt another blow to the federal government’s plans to give asylum seekers temporary protection visas, set significant new limits on Australia’s policy of mandatory detention. It will throw into doubt the legality of detention of thousands of people in Australia, potentially spelling the end for Australia’s mandatory detention regime as we know it.

In the unanimous decision handed down today, the court threw out the federal government’s strategy of granting temporary visas to asylum seekers through a legal loophole. Unable to get temporary protection visas through parliament, the federal government had been granting other temporary visas which blocked asylum seekers from applying for permanent visas, but today’s case ruled against that practice.

More importantly, and for the first time, the court clearly set out the constitutional limits on immigration detention. It was previously unclear for what purposes the government could detain non-citizens. The court has now clearly stated that the government can only lawfully detain someone in three circumstances: to consider whether or not to let someone apply for a visa; to consider an application for a visa; or to remove someone.

Detention is only lawful if these purposes are being “pursued and carried into effect as soon as reasonably practicable”, the court held. The length of detention must be assessed by what is “necessary and incidental” to execute and fulfil those purposes. These limits on detention are constitutional. In other words, Parliament cannot override them by introducing new legislation.

Today’s decision has profound implications for asylum seekers and refugees in Australia. The detention of thousands of people who arrived irregularly before July 2013 is now potentially unlawful and the government will now have to either release these people or at least resume processing. Prolonged cases of detention can be challenged before the courts. The policy of locking people up indefinitely, without carefully considering whether it is justified in the individual case, is unlawful under Australian law.

The court’s decision finally provides clarity about the limits of mandatory detention. Since 1992, the court has heard a series of cases dealing with aspects of the issue. That year, in the case of Chu Kheng Lim, the court held there were two limits on detention. First, it had to be for a “legitimate purpose” – to enable a visa application to be considered, or to remove a person from Australia. Second, detention had to be “reasonably capable of being seen as necessary” for that purpose.

In other words, if it were not possible to remove someone, then the detention could no longer be justified. The court said that detention that did not meet these conditions would be unconstitutional, because it would infringe on the exclusive power of judges to detain people.

Since then, however, the high court has tended to question or overlook these limits. Most famously in 2004, in the much criticised case of Al-Kateb v Godwin, the court effectively authorised mandatory and indefinite immigration detention in Australia. The majority in that case held that the Migration Act required a person to be detained even if there was no reasonable prospect of removal. The court held that this was constitutional.

Since Al-Kateb, lawyers have challenged Australia’s detention laws in a variety of ways – generally without success. However, in recent years the high court has become increasingly receptive to such challenges. In part, this is probably because in practice detention has become longer, more routine and more extensive.

Since September 2013, the average time spent in detention facilities in Australia has risen from 100 to 350 days, and there are currently nearly 4,000 asylum seekers in detention facilities. These numbers don’t include asylum seekers living in detention in the community.

Today’s case sets clear limits to the government’s power to detain asylum seekers indefinitely, without review or consideration of individual cases. In doing so, the high court has reaffirmed the role of judges in reinforcing the rule of law in Australia.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Good news for once.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So how are they going to try and ignore and circumvent the High Court this time? Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

But.... How can Tony stop the boats now????

• Locked thread