Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Bloodnose posted:

Well quit bogarting it and give me a link.

HDT Equipment on the :nexus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Are there any good mods that change the way arrows fly, specifically distance and curve? Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade comes with a plugin called 'faster arrows' but it seem to have the unfortunate problem of making all my arrows leave the bow 6 inches too high.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Magmarashi posted:

Are there any good mods that change the way arrows fly, specifically distance and curve? Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade comes with a plugin called 'faster arrows' but it seem to have the unfortunate problem of making all my arrows leave the bow 6 inches too high.

You can modify how arrows fly via ini tweaks. Details here: http://zemalf.blogspot.com/2011/11/skyrim-archery-tweak.html

polka
May 10, 2007

Going up!

My Q-Face posted:

I originally got Skyrim on PC but moved soon after and so got it for the PS3 instead. I played the hell out of it on the console but eventually got bored and played something else. I decided to go back and play it again this week and got bored quick. Then I remembered that I had it on PC and since it's almost three years old, there would have to be hundreds or thousands of mods to make it interesting again. Holy Crap! Graphics mods, weather mods, Climates, crafting mods, Physics Mods(!), FROSTFALL(!!)

This might actually be fun, but do I have to buy all the DLC again?

And holy crap, I was joking about including floppy boobs when physics were announced for Oblivion, but somebody finally did it! :ughh:

Agents are GO! posted:

For the best mods: generally. Just wait for a sale.

Good timing. It's on sale right now!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Dootman posted:

You can modify how arrows fly via ini tweaks. Details here: http://zemalf.blogspot.com/2011/11/skyrim-archery-tweak.html

Is there a way to adjust the rate the AI can dodge arrows? Because loving hell that's irritating when they just skate to the side :argh:

My arrows just want to be inside of you, helping you feel warm and cozy :(

Gotta keep out those bitter cold winds, don't wanna come down with the sniffles!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a way to adjust the rate the AI can dodge arrows? Because loving hell that's irritating when they just skate to the side :argh:

SkyTweak has a setting for that:

quote:

AI Dodge Chance: You know that sidestep dodge AI performs in reaction to projectiles regardless of whether or not they see it coming? This is it. Set it to 0 to deactivate, or anything in between.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

polka posted:

Good timing. It's on sale right now!

Did it like JUST start, because when I checked about 8-10 hours ago it was still 19.99 for DB and DG

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Everything Burrito posted:

SkyTweak has a setting for that:

Oh cool, I've been using that the whole time. Must've missed it :downs:

Edit:

Is there a mod that allows one handed swords to go on the back, but keep all other one handed weapons on your hips? Seems I'm only seeing mods that are all or nothing. I'm using that HDT Equipment mod, for what it's worth.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 11, 2014

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I don't know if I'm a retard or what but it seems like nothing I do in the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files change anything at all.
I know I have the right files, they're in C:\Users\Greg\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

Also, the changes that I try to make to the same files with the Mod Organizer don't appear to do anything either.

I'm trying to do the changes listed on http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:Guide like mouse acceleration or even changing the FOV and nothing works.
Changing my FOV via the console works however.

Annoying as gently caress, it also really feels like a lot of the mods I get aren't changing anything either.
Here's what my SMO looks like.

And here's what a segment of my ini files look like

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
MO uses its own .ini files. They're under \ModOrganizer\profiles\<profile name>.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
More specifically, if you click the puzzle pieces at the top of MO you'll get a dropdown that will let you pick INI Editor.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Just picked up the legendary edition on sale, but am currently in the middle of a pretty heavily modded vanilla game. I should probably just wait til I'm bored of this current game and start again with a fresh install for all of the DLC right?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

FadedReality posted:

More specifically, if you click the puzzle pieces at the top of MO you'll get a dropdown that will let you pick INI Editor.

Raygereio posted:

MO uses its own .ini files. They're under \ModOrganizer\profiles\<profile name>.

Oh yeah, I know that too.
I even copied those ini files over to the Documents Skyrim folder and it still didn't do a thing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Is there a mod that restores the change that dawnguard made so that people are hostile to 4th-stage Vampires? I always kinda felt that was a copout that they removed that.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I'm curious, how difficult is it to create a voice type?

While being aided by a Spriggan Patriarch (basically a reskinned giant) against a dragon, I had the worst thought ever: "If only Vin Diesel were here." So, uh, I'm currently re-downloading the Riddick games to poke around and see if I can rip the dialog somehow. Barring that, maybe one of his insane Facebook fans has some ringtones or something.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I'm curious, how difficult is it to create a voice type?

While being aided by a Spriggan Patriarch (basically a reskinned giant) against a dragon, I had the worst thought ever: "If only Vin Diesel were here." So, uh, I'm currently re-downloading the Riddick games to poke around and see if I can rip the dialog somehow. Barring that, maybe one of his insane Facebook fans has some ringtones or something.

If you're just that desperate for raw data you could run audacity in record mode and play some Vin Diesel clips over youtube or something. No idea how well that would work since there's bound to be some background noise, but it's an idea.

polka
May 10, 2007

Going up!

Deakul posted:

Annoying as gently caress, it also really feels like a lot of the mods I get aren't changing anything either.
Here's what my SMO looks like.

Your left panel should look more or less the same as your right pane. The expansions and unofficial patches should be on the top (low priority), not at the bottom. Also, where are your check boxes on the left pane?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Is there a mod that restores the change that dawnguard made so that people are hostile to 4th-stage Vampires? I always kinda felt that was a copout that they removed that.

Better Vampires will do this, along with a lot of other things. It's very modular though.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a mod that allows one handed swords to go on the back, but keep all other one handed weapons on your hips? Seems I'm only seeing mods that are all or nothing. I'm using that HDT Equipment mod, for what it's worth.

The installer for the XPMS Extended skeleton provides some options for the placement of certain weapons, including 1h swords on your back. If you happen to use the belt mounted quiver, grab the animation-only version of this mod.

By the way, what's that face paint you're using?

polka posted:

Also, where are your check boxes on the left pane?

His mods are all installed manually, MO doesn't provide check boxes for manually installed mods. That's what I think is happening at any rate.

Troglyfe fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 12, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Troglyfe posted:

The installer for the XPMS Extended skeleton provides some options for the placement of certain weapons, including 1h swords on your back. If you happen to use the belt mounted quiver, grab the animation-only version of this mod.

By the way, what's that face paint you're using?

His mods are all installed manually, MO doesn't provide check boxes for manually installed mods. That's what I think is happening at any rate.

Cool, thanks :) Also, facepaint is from XCE - Morrowind Warpaint

Edit:

Haha this is perfect, now I've got a snake and a bird telling me how best to murder people

Tunnel snakes ruleHail Sithis! *screee*

And heck yes small of the back shank storage spot

Beeb fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 12, 2014

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
It's been a couple months since I last played Skyrim properly, so today I fired it up to try that Dwemer space travel mod. Unfortunately, since I last played, some kind of bug has sprung up that affects the constant-cast Destruction spells (Sparks and Frostbite, possibly Flames too, but I haven't been hit by that one yet). When I get hit by them, the sounds they normally have are replaced by the loud crashing sound an Ice Spike/Ice Spear spell makes when it hits you, looped several times a second. More critically, when they hit me, I get staggered, as if they're being affected by the Impact perk. Since they're constant-effect spells, the stagger effect triggers several times a second and basically stunlocks me until they stop casting. One mage managed to slowly push me backwards down a hallway using their Sparks spell. The effect occurs even when God Mode is activated.

At first I thought it was a side effect of the Apprentice stone, but after I changed birthsigns, it kept happening. So I figured a mod had glitched the Impact perk, but the stagger effect was triggered by both single-cast and dual-cast spells. I tried to test it by consoling myself the Impact perk and casting Sparks on bandits, but the spells worked normally (i.e., no staggering). It seems like this only affects me as the player character. I checked my active effects menu but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I do have Rockjoint, but can't recall it ever doing this before :shrug:

I've tried to pin it down to one mod:
- The mods I installed since the last time I played were aMidianBorn Dwarven Armor, Medium and Light Dwarven Armor, The Shadow of Meresis, Agent of Righteous Might, and Skyrim Coin Replacer Redux. Obviously this had no apparent effect on the bug.
- I moved on to every mod I could find that affected Destruction magic or animations. Deactivating Apocalypse Spells and Deadly Spell Impacts made the game crash at the menu, but I doubt either of them would have been the root cause anyway.
- Deactivating Balanced Magic, Burn Freeze Shock Effects, ASIS, Midas Magic, Forgotten Mastery, Realistic Ragdolls, Empowered Destruction Magic, XP32 Skeleton, and "spellsgalore.esp" and "morespells.esp", whatever they were from (orphaned from a previous uninstallation of NMM) had no obvious effect.

Has anyone else had this happen to their character before? It must be from a mod, but I'll be damned if I can find out which one. This is my current load order. Maybe my installation just finally collapsed under the weight of all the mods I've thrown onto it.

Notably, I didn't change cells each time I deactivated a mod--just kept testing it on the same two mages in Ansilvind--so if the root cause of the problem is some inappropriately-applied perk that's determined at character generation, it might have persisted even after the mod was deactivated. I tried to double-check by spawning new mages with the console, but their spells had the same bugged effect.

Cygna fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 12, 2014

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Gyshall posted:

HDT Equipment on the :nexus:

Man I tried to install this and it was a huge pain in the rear end, each mod seemed to be dependant on another which was dependant on another, did I miss the simple version somewhere?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Deakul posted:

Also, the changes that I try to make to the same files with the Mod Organizer don't appear to do anything either.

Deakul posted:

Oh yeah, I know that too.
I even copied those ini files over to the Documents Skyrim folder and it still didn't do a thing.
How do you start the game? When using MO, you need to launch everything (both the game itself and tools like TES5Edit) through MO.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 12, 2014

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Davoren posted:

Man I tried to install this and it was a huge pain in the rear end, each mod seemed to be dependant on another which was dependant on another, did I miss the simple version somewhere?

It requires the actual HDT physics engine and SKSE? How can it get any simpler?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I guess maybe because I went for dual sheath redux too, that wanted another skeleton and something wanted new idle animations.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 12, 2014

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Raygereio posted:

How do you start the game? When using MO, you need to launch everything (both the game itself and tools like TES5Edit) through MO.

Oh... well... poo poo.
I am a retard. :negative:

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Deakul posted:

Oh... well... poo poo.

The upside is that it doesn't fill your Skyrim data directory with junk.
The down side is now you're attached to it forever. Keep backups.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Griffon posted:

The upside is that it doesn't fill your Skyrim data directory with junk.
The down side is now you're attached to it forever. Keep backups.

If it works.

With my latest PC, MO has stopped working for me completely with Skyrim alone, even a completely vanilla install crashes before the title screen on a new game and gets stuck in forever loading loops on anything past that point. Going to miss it, at least it still works for NV.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Magmarashi posted:

If it works.

With my latest PC, MO has stopped working for me completely with Skyrim alone, even a completely vanilla install crashes before the title screen on a new game and gets stuck in forever loading loops on anything past that point. Going to miss it, at least it still works for NV.

Sweet anecdotal story, sounds like a problem with your PC, not MO

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Has anyone pre-compiled STEM yet so that you don't have to spend two days loving around, only to find out the game crashes after five minutes due to missing a step somewhere among thousands, or is the game still an irredeemable pile o' poo poo?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Sweet anecdotal story, sounds like a problem with your PC, not MO

Yeah, an anecdote is exactly what it was. No need to get all fought up over video games , bruh.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah, an anecdote is exactly what it was. No need to get all fought up over video games , bruh.

Running it as admin? I seem to recall issues with it puking on me until I elevated it.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Davoren posted:

I guess maybe because I went for dual sheath redux too, that wanted another skeleton and something wanted new idle animations.
You don't need FNIS (thank god), there's just a box to check when installing XPMS if you don't. Just make sure you let XPMS overwrite the outdated/broken skeleton in Realistic Ragdolls or else DSR won't work right; basically, modders make things worse when they try to make things easy.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Running it as admin? I seem to recall issues with it puking on me until I elevated it.

Tried that. I spent three days trying to get it to play nice and once I gave up on it I couldn't stand to play for a week because I was just sick of messing with Skyrim. Thankfully it runs just fine without using MO, I just have to keep very careful track of what I install and I wish more people packaged things in .BSA formats than just tossing loose files in a zip.

Again, only with Skyrim

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 12, 2014

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I figured it out! My very first save in the game, before I did Tolfdir's stupid ward demonstration, doesn't have the staggering problem. The game thinks I have a ward up constantly that's being broken every time I'm hit with a spell, and you stagger when your ward breaks. gently caress you old man, you broke my character :argh: Is there any sort of global variable or script I can easily fix to remove this, or should I just play the last four hours over again?

e: Casting another ward spell and then dropping it before it broke fixed it, thankfully.

Cygna fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 12, 2014

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I'm curious if anyone else has had issues with ENB and indoor lighting. Every time I've tried it, the outdoors look just fine, but indoors (caves, houses, etc.), the walls/ceiling/floor disappear depending on where I stand in the room. I use all Skyrim DLC, Skyrim HD LITE texture packs, SMIM, and the Unofficial patches, but nothing else I have installed would directly affect the look and feel of interiors. I tried ELFX, as well, which didn't have the same issues, but it seemed to slow me down FPS-wise. In the end, I'm just happy all the other stuff I added doesn't significantly affect performance.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

broken pixel posted:

I'm curious if anyone else has had issues with ENB and indoor lighting. Every time I've tried it, the outdoors look just fine, but indoors (caves, houses, etc.), the walls/ceiling/floor disappear depending on where I stand in the room. I use all Skyrim DLC, Skyrim HD LITE texture packs, SMIM, and the Unofficial patches, but nothing else I have installed would directly affect the look and feel of interiors. I tried ELFX, as well, which didn't have the same issues, but it seemed to slow me down FPS-wise. In the end, I'm just happy all the other stuff I added doesn't significantly affect performance.

I don't think that's the cause for it but you did set bFloatPointRenderTarget in your Skyrimprefs.ini to 1, right?

Also, turn off Skyrims anti aliasing in the launcher, that's known to cause texture issues indoors.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Sensenmann posted:

I don't think that's the cause for it but you did set bFloatPointRenderTarget in your Skyrimprefs.ini to 1, right?

Also, turn off Skyrims anti aliasing in the launcher, that's known to cause texture issues indoors.

Oh damnit, as soon as I read that, I remembered that I had recently switched profiles on MO, which references a different INI than it used to. :doh: I can't believe I didn't catch that. Initial testing makes it look like it's fixed. I feel dumb for posting about it, but if I hadn't, who knows how long I would have ignored that? Meanwhile, I've also disabled HD textures and SMIM to see how things go. So far, nice lighting effects trump highly detailed straw textures.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm using Climates of Tamriel with the hazardous dungeon lighting and when I use a weapon with a drain effect (in this case the Nightingale blade) the darkness effect on hit nearly blacks my screen out. Is there some setting somewhere that I can use to make this stop happening? I found this mod when looking for solutions but wasn't sure if that was the best way to fix it, I mean other than either not using that lighting setting or not using drain effect weapons.

Just to clarify I don't have an ENB or anything else, just COT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm using Climates of Tamriel with the hazardous dungeon lighting and when I use a weapon with a drain effect (in this case the Nightingale blade) the darkness effect on hit nearly blacks my screen out. Is there some setting somewhere that I can use to make this stop happening? I found this mod when looking for solutions but wasn't sure if that was the best way to fix it, I mean other than either not using that lighting setting or not using drain effect weapons.

Just to clarify I don't have an ENB or anything else, just COT.

I've gotten that issue in a few places too, but not in recent playthroughs. Alas, I've changed so much between playthroughs that I'm not totally certain how or if I fixed it. :(

• Locked thread