Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dark Greatsword, the hex version of Soul Greatsword, is back there as well.

Huh. I managed to jump to that somehow. Is the flower skirt around the same area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think you can get to it like that.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Cowcaster posted:

Huh. I managed to jump to that somehow. Is the flower skirt around the same area?

No, Dark Greatsword is accessible from the elevator that links the Co-op area to the main DLC map. The flower skirt is definitely behind the optional boss. I think you can see the sparkle from the other side, but unless you levitate hack it's too big of a gap to cross without fighting the boss.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

SunAndSpring posted:

Bunch of souls and the Lightning Clutch ring.

lightning clutch ring has a chance to drop from any of the spitting statue lizards incl the poison ones so i mean gently caress that whole area basically (even if it isn't actually bad, or lame)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Cowcaster posted:

gently caress

It looks great with the butterfly wings, 2X scorpion pincers, and minotaur head so I don't know wtf he's talking about.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

You can swap them. The game doesn't actually have specific left/right hand attack animations, they all work fine in either hand.

The only thing you're not allowed to do easily is use powerstance attacks without being powerstanced, because they rely on having two activated damage hitboxes to work properly.

Cool! I look forward to playing around with it, if I can ever get the drat thing to work.

Gologle posted:

I personally think the Majestic Greatsword is a great weapon, but I will never use it because it looks ugly as hell. The constant pull of inexorable ages has not done Artorias' blade any favors. Fashion Souls or Die.

Try this.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Anyone got a good bow build for Sinh? He obnoxiously spends 80% of the time in the air, what an awful fight and spells do little. I'm on NG++

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Punch him in the face or the spear. The former doesn't do toxic damage to your weapons and the latter hurts him more than usual.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is there some sort of SM guide for areas or something? I want to be able to co-op throughout the game and it seems to dry up for me after Earthen Peak.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Is there some sort of SM guide for areas or something? I want to be able to co-op throughout the game and it seems to dry up for me after Earthen Peak.

It varies a ton in 2 compared to 1 where most people hit places at the same range. Peak through IK can be anywhere from 200K to 700K, maybe even a bit higher. There's no real good guide (that I'm aware of), except that all the pre soul collection branch ends are good around 500K-800K.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I just got softbanned. Spent hours trying to invade with blue and red eye orbs, without a single hit. Just endless "COULD NOT FIND WORLD TO INVADE". I could see the normal number of messages, and ghosts, but just a couple of red summon signs in as many hours. Even in Iron Keep. This is after I spent most of yesterday PVPing on the same characters, getting hit after hit. I've never used a save editor or anything (Xbox360).

Goddammit From.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Firstborn posted:

YMMV but these days when I play I tend to be too low SM to coop rather than too high, so you really don't have to worry about getting too much experience. But how much do you have and where are you in the game now?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
For those who are :sperg: about the lore like me, a guy on Reddit went over the Japanese script and noted some differences with the English one. Apparently some details that are present in the Japanese that either help elucidate some things or simply add more information (the Mad Knight of Alken apparently was named Adgars) are absent in the English script, and on top of that the English script also makes some changes and additions of its own.

I can't read Japanese so I can't vouch for the post accuracy, and it's worth noting that the original Dark Souls' English script was a result of a close collaboration between Miyazaki and the localization team at Frognation, so I can imagine at least some of the changes were actually approved by From Software (the English script is, after all, the basis for the voice acting in the Japanese version too), but it's still an interesting read.

P.S. : Genocyber thinks Borderlands 2 is well-written? Oh god.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Finally beat the ancient dragon. I did it with a summon, but considering I was getting invaded constantly by the same guy I figured I'd just play dark souls the dark souls way. I'm here to beat the boss not honor duel some invader; getting past those drakekeepers is hard enough.

God everyone in iron keep has these really optimal PVP builds now. I've been trying dual-wielding with a claymore and chariot lance, mostly I think it just throws some players off. The claymore has an awesome 1-handed moveset and the chariot lance lunges have no wind-down when you 1-hand like a proper lancer.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Does the lance claymore infinite stunlock still work or did they patch those out?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
IIRC after the patch you can only get two hits before the enemy can roll away again. No more infinite stunlocks, I'm afraid.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
And here I thought my build was unique and special. :(

What's the best min-max avelyn-status super-optimal trying-too-hard dagger for backstabbing? It's really annoying that havels can estus back more health than my backstab takes away. I got 46 STR / 40 DEX if that matters.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

For those who are :sperg: about the lore like me, a guy on Reddit went over the Japanese script and noted some differences with the English one. Apparently some details that are present in the Japanese that either help elucidate some things or simply add more information (the Mad Knight of Alken apparently was named Adgars) are absent in the English script, and on top of that the English script also makes some changes and additions of its own.

I can't read Japanese so I can't vouch for the post accuracy, and it's worth noting that the original Dark Souls' English script was a result of a close collaboration between Miyazaki and the localization team at Frognation, so I can imagine at least some of the changes were actually approved by From Software (the English script is, after all, the basis for the voice acting in the Japanese version too), but it's still an interesting read.

This is an interesting read but I think it's wholly academical, since with a game like Dark Souls where English is the default version there's just no way the translation team made some stuff on the spot and winged it, all the differences were probably sanctioned by the developers and some of the nitpicks are standard fare translator's pet peeves.

Katakana names are another thing that's pointless to argue about, I feel. As he said, you can transcribe シン (shin, although the Japanese pronunciation is more like sheen when pronounced shortly) as Sin/Sinh/Shin/Shinh (and probably a bunch of other stylized appellations) and they will all have the same katakana because it's limited like that. I'm sure the names that actually appear in the game are the official ones even if there's a whole syllable missing (Dunashandra - Nashandra), it just sounds better in English :shrug:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

IIRC after the patch you can only get two hits before the enemy can roll away again. No more infinite stunlocks, I'm afraid.

I'm really not sure how this works now and it may be tied to poise, but I can still occasionally stunlock people with longsword R1s and the Stone Ring. There are a lot of weapons I've tried where this is definitely not the case anymore but smaller, faster weapons seem to still be able to do it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Genocyber posted:

People have done testing which suggests that it may exist, such as people who have been soft-banned being able to connect with each other but not someone who hasn't been. I think I may have been hit with it since on all my characters, I can only connect with a small handful of people, even in hotspots like the bridge.

The easiest test - create the family sharing account, copy over your save file. You'll immediately be playing with other people. Switch back to other steam account, no signs.

I've been using the same save file since launch, and am now on my fourth family member. This one is a long lost uncle who developed a taste for dark souls PVP. After returning from Alaska last month where he worked the oil rigs for over 20 years, he spends a lot of time co-oping and practicing parrying. LORE.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006
heads up people, the softbanning is real on PC.

Apparently wednesdays and saturdays are the worst days.

I did testing yesterday, gave me a couple of items in majula with CE, a 20 minute affair, and got one of my family member accounts totally softbanned.

It's super obvious on the bridge, always invaded/being invaded by the same 2 people, whom I backstab with the Smelter Hammer for... 740 damage! (it does around 1.6k-2.4k to anyone not level 800)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Is it just me or did Prowling Magus and Congregation feel like a throwaway encounter?

Other than that I am impressed how each level presents you with different tactical challenges. Fire Longsword and shield was getting me killed against the dual sickle wielding undead until I switched to a halberd. I had to switch to heavy armor and really learn positioning to get passed the Torturers. Then man-lions were slicing me apart until I changed to the Demons Greathammer. Had to use a greatsword's swing against the Skeleton Lords. Now the casters in Brightstone are loving with me.

I still can't get over how pretty it is. The Tower of Flame is just a gorgeous area. What a sunset. Those fantastic blue shingles :allears:

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is it just me or did Prowling Magus and Congregation feel like a throwaway encounter?

Other than that I am impressed how each level presents you with different tactical challenges. Fire Longsword and shield was getting me killed against the dual sickle wielding undead until I switched to a halberd. I had to switch to heavy armor and really learn positioning to get passed the Torturers. Then man-lions were slicing me apart until I changed to the Demons Greathammer. Had to use a greatsword's swing against the Skeleton Lords. Now the casters in Brightstone are loving with me.

I still can't get over how pretty it is. The Tower of Flame is just a gorgeous area. What a sunset. Those fantastic blue shingles :allears:

All those challenges can be overcome with the correct use of press circle

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm really not sure how this works now and it may be tied to poise, but I can still occasionally stunlock people with longsword R1s and the Stone Ring.

Oh yeah, the Stone Ring buff with the latest patch might have altered things somewhat. It's a pretty hefty boost.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

Nah, everyone agrees that it's arguably the easiest boss in the game. Though that can lead to you letting your guard down in subsequent playthroughs. I dunno what's more embarrassing, the time I waltzed up the Prowling Magus all cocksure only to get stunlocked to death by two Lightning Spears followed by Wrath of God, or the time I failed to make Dragonrider kill himself only to have the boss launch me off the platform to my death instead.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Another thing I'd like to lament is that the monastery scimitar re-nerf has hit my guy hard as well too, since now I can't just lazily parry everything to death in the DLC since they all have loving magic resistance through the roof. I understand that it's unbalanced in PvP and whatever, I just liked having a parry that worked like the parry in Dark Souls 1, which I don't remember anyone complaining about at the time.

Which makes them also loving with the dagger's riposte damage adding insult to injury when I pull it off.

The mon scim parry is not like the Dark Souls parry, it is significantly better. All parry items in Dks has startup frames, monscim had none. It's still really good since it's a curved sword parry tho.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

P.S. : Genocyber thinks Borderlands 2 is well-written? Oh god.

It is.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How long have the two DLCs been so far? If I wait for the third, will it feel like a proper expansion pack?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
genocyber is anthony "cucklord" burch

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

How long have the two DLCs been so far? If I wait for the third, will it feel like a proper expansion pack?

They're about the size of a full great soul DS2 multi-area.

For instance, going from Skeleton Lords to the lava boss.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

I think I just got softbanned. Spent hours trying to invade with blue and red eye orbs, without a single hit. Just endless "COULD NOT FIND WORLD TO INVADE". I could see the normal number of messages, and ghosts, but just a couple of red summon signs in as many hours. Even in Iron Keep. This is after I spent most of yesterday PVPing on the same characters, getting hit after hit. I've never used a save editor or anything (Xbox360).

Goddammit From.

I've been softbanned for 2 weeks now. I have never once cheated. The Iron Keep Bridge is a deadzone, and if I bellbro I fight the same 5-10 people over and over and over assuming I get a hit. I had tons of bellbro hits on Sunday morning (again, all the same people) but last night it was dry as a bone. I almost never get summoned as a sunbro and maybe have one sunbro I can summon per boss, half the time or less.

Edit- Also, I haven't been invaded in at least two weeks.

Scags fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 11, 2014

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Did you restore a backed up save? because that counts as "cheating" apparently

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

No I have never restored, or even backed up a save. The only thing I can think of is maybe I picked up an item that a cheating invader dropped for me. I do not remember ever picking up an item like that but its certainly possible.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's really weird because I "cheated" plenty (fashionsouls reasons, backing up a safe to revert going from NG+2 to NG+3) and I have no issues.
I did do most of it in offline mode though.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Zedd posted:

It's really weird because I "cheated" plenty (fashionsouls reasons, backing up a safe to revert going from NG+2 to NG+3) and I have no issues.
I did do most of it in offline mode though.

Who knows? There is obviously no rhyme or reason to it or else I wouldn't be banned.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Oh jeez, so you can risk getting softbanned by doing the back-up trick to farm one-time spawning enemies for drops? Now I'm paranoid. :smith:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is there any warning for the fireballs during the Giant Lord boss fight? I can handle the boss just fine, but the other poo poo gets me really bad.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is there any warning for the fireballs during the Giant Lord boss fight? I can handle the boss just fine, but the other poo poo gets me really bad.

No. You're not supposed to be fighting him out where the fireballs are. Just charge him and circle-strafe, you should never get close to the fireball zone.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

I doubt that since saves are local. How would From even detect if you restored a backup save?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cathair posted:

No. You're not supposed to be fighting him out where the fireballs are. Just charge him and circle-strafe, you should never get close to the fireball zone.

I have never figured out where you can't be hit by those things in there. I just tank them and shove as much estus into my face as physically possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Raygereio posted:

I doubt that since saves are local. How would From even detect if you restored a backup save?

Apparently the thing they monitor seems to be just SM, which would be "lowered" if you loaded a backup save.