Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Why is the two-column layout so popular? It loving blows, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Upmarket Mango posted:

Why is the two-column layout so popular? It loving blows, imo.

I am 100% sure the answer to this is "because D&D did it" and everyone copies D&D. I find it really hard to read the continuous 2-column books, it's just a huge block that all blends together in my eyes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Generally studies show that 45~65 characters is ideal for reading comprehension, so that's why you see that. Reading longer lines is faster but results in reduced comprehension. Also, in the broader world of marketing studies, peoples' preferences lead towards the two-column format. Of course, there are different ways to handle that - I think the GURPS line uses an alternate two-column format that more of the industry could stand to look at. Then again, Steve Jackson was an editor before he was a game designer.

So, is it just because of of D&D? I don't think so, but there are probably too many people that ape the format without thinking about the implications. A lot of style guides will point you to it as the ideal. It sure is butt when trying to read books in PDF, though. Ultimately there needs to be a different format for ebooks for better reading comprehension on electronic devices, but most game publishers aren't willing to put in the effort in that regard.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 11, 2014

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Most textbooks use the two-column format, I believe.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Which are some cool non collectible (or living) Card games I can get?

Finally convinced a group of friends to pool our gaming moeny so we can buy new games every month. We're starting with Munchkin (because we should have it), but we have enough for one or two more.

Reason we're sticking with cards is that we want Munchkin and we can gather around 40€s each month. Yeah we're cheap.

I was considering Gloom, Chez Geek (I played it once and had a lot of fun), Bang or Aye Dark Overlord!.

edit: and next month I'm going to blackmail them all into buying the Battlestar Galactica board game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I picked up Sentinels of the Multiverse a few weeks ago and have been really enjoying it. Everyone plays a superhero (each with his or her own specific deck) fighting against a supervillian whose deck actually runs itself, so you don't need a GM-type player. Plus it plays well solo.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Finally convinced a group of friends to pool our gaming moeny so we can buy new games every month. We're starting with Munchkin (because we should have it), but we have enough for one or two more.

Reason we're sticking with cards is that we want Munchkin and we can gather around 40€s each month. Yeah we're cheap.

I was considering Gloom, Chez Geek (I played it once and had a lot of fun), Bang or Aye Dark Overlord!.

edit: and next month I'm going to blackmail them all into buying the Battlestar Galactica board game.

I personally found Bang! to be rather fiddly and liked The Resistance much more for an adversarial sort of card-game. Quick to set up and easier to play.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

A lot of people are going to recommend you Dominion and for a good reason. There are a lot of expansions out there to change the way the game plays immensely and there are a lot of different strategies that players can use.

Also, that amount per month will enable you to buy an expansion every month to keep the game fresh.

Finally as a word to the wise, do not post in the Board Games thread and try to sell them on Munchkin. It will not work.

Ninja Edit: Get Love Letter. It's cheap and good.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
What's wrong with Munchkin?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Generic Octopus posted:

It's terrible.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Generic Octopus posted:

It has the Steve Jackson problem of being a game that plays itself to the point where it's less a game and more of A Thing You And Your Friends Do For Two Hours.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

LuiCypher posted:

A lot of people are going to recommend you Dominion and for a good reason. There are a lot of expansions out there to change the way the game plays immensely and there are a lot of different strategies that players can use.

Finally as a word to the wise, do not post in the Board Games thread and try to sell them on Munchkin. It will not work.

Yeah Dominion is cool, but it's a tad more expensive than a simple card game. That said it's definetly on the list.
I don't see anything wrong with Munchkin :v: I always have fun with it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I picked up Sentinels of the Multiverse a few weeks ago and have been really enjoying it. Everyone plays a superhero (each with his or her own specific deck) fighting against a supervillian whose deck actually runs itself, so you don't need a GM-type player. Plus it plays well solo.

Oh, right, forgot about this game! A recomendation from you certainly goes a long way, I think I'm going to go with this one if everyone else is up to it.

Thanks goons!

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I don't see anything wrong with Munchkin :v: I always have fun with it.

Yeah, you should probably stay away from the board game thread.

Edit: Living card game recommendation, Android: Netrunner. Just not the board game Android.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 11, 2014

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Generic Octopus posted:

I always compare Munchkin to another game I like to play. It's called Drink the Beer. The rules are simple: you drink the beer. If you finish the beer, you win.

This game isn't perfect, but it's really fun to play with my friends. There are lots of jokes involved and we almost always have a good time. Even the people who don't win seem to enjoy playing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Oh, right, forgot about this game! A recomendation from you certainly goes a long way, I think I'm going to go with this one if everyone else is up to it.
Aww, you're gonna make me blush. :shobon:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Baron Snow posted:

Edit: Living card game recommendation, Android: Netrunner. Just not the board game Android.

I'd personally love to play Netrunner, but since there are a bunch of us, it's not really ideal.

Zurui posted:

I always compare Munchkin to another game I like to play. It's called Drink the Beer. The rules are simple: you drink the beer. If you finish the beer, you win.

This game isn't perfect, but it's really fun to play with my friends. There are lots of jokes involved and we almost always have a good time. Even the people who don't win seem to enjoy playing.

What does this mean? So... Munchkin is bad because you can have fun doing something else? I guess every game is bad because I could be drinking/camping/throwing feces at each other for fun instead!

I'm not saying it's a great game, but it's cheap and super easy to just shuffle the deck and have fun with it.

Bah why am I surprised with this kind of reaction when speaking about board games/rpgs, not like I'm new to the hobby.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I have actually never had fun with Munchkin.

But this is making me nostalgic for HeroScape, since I played them on the same table with the same friends.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Generic Octopus posted:

:ssh:

It's an almost entirely random game with relatively little in the way of tactics or options. Your opening spread is random. So are the monsters. And the treasure. The possibility of getting a bad draw or a screw card is high, and so the possibility of getting knocked out of the running early is pretty high. The main "gameplay" is really just the metagame - can you convince people to help you and not screw you? Essentially most decisions you make boil down to that. Is a monster worth fighting > do you need help > if so can you get people to help you > otherwise, are you going to be screwed by somebody? The randomness of the game means things boil down to finding ways to convince people you're not going to win, and hopefully get enough steam going that eventually they can't stop you. Which is essentially just a metagame issue.

The main problem is the whole game boils down to a crabs-in-a-bucket dilemma. In theory, Munchkin should go on for 30-60 minutes. In reality, it can drag on for hours, as players on the verge of victory are dragged down by all the other players again and again and again... and that drag? That's the worst part of the game, and the one that often goes on the longest. The fun part of the Munchkin is the part where you have some good stuff under your belt and can wheel and deal with other players to get what you want. Once you get close to victory, being able to cooperate with other players shuts down and it's just you against the rest of the table, and things get boring. Granted, it's easily possible to get a fast win in Munchkin - but only really through luck and maybe some clever bluffing.

If it could fix the endgame dilemma, it'd be a fine "beer 'n pretzels" sort of game. The puns are cute and the simplistic gameplay could work if it had a solution for that. As it is, that ending crawl just kills the game for me as anything I want to pick up and play again.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'd personally love to play Netrunner, but since there are a bunch of us, it's not really ideal.

That just means you can have your own meta! There are variations for 2v2 play, and even a draft format was introduced!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Baron Snow posted:

But Android is a lot of fun and tells some neat stories. You just need to set aside an afternoon to play it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Munchkin is bad because it is completely luck-based, with zero luck-mitigating factors. Once a player starts winning, their winning snowballs because more winning = more power, more power = better chance you can kill stuff, more kill stuff = more power, repeated ad infinity. On top of that, not only is it entirely luck-based who wins, but the actual cards you can play to affect the game make things harder for people! They're all about screwing over other players, taking their victories away from them at the last moment.

The end result is that the only way to play Munchkin is to blindly flip cards until someone is about to win, then play cards to make them not win until everyone is out of cards when someone is about to win. It's a war of attrition with no ability to actually, legitimately affect the outcome of said war of attrition, except by extending it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Really, all there is to Munchkin is drawing cards, being mildly entertained by the name of the card and its art, then waiting until you can draw a card again. There's a metagame, but mainly it's asking other players to add their numbers to your numbers so that you can draw a card next turn. Or, someone else can add numbers to the number you need to beat. It's War with mediocre jokes and a slight bluffing mechanic. I've played Munchkin more times than I can count, but I have never played a game of Munchkin to completion, even among people who were really into it. The group invariably gets bored and goes onto a game of Drinking the Beer.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

But Android is a lot of fun and tells some neat stories. You just need to set aside an afternoon to play it.

I did love some of the ideas (like the flowing stories from the character you played as), but my problem with Android was that I felt less like a detective solving a crime, and more like a crooked cop pinning a crime on someone I had beef with.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

I have Android:Netrunner, but I haven't played it yet (like most of the games I own).

I'm actually kind of grateful that 13th Age Organized Play has been delayed, because it's given me a chance to finally play some of the board games I own but never touched (like Descent or the new WizWar).

Still, I'd like the new adventure. :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Android has the unfortunate distinction of being the game that got me out of 'american style' games. I love Blade Runner, I would like to love Android, I bought Android and was super excited about but all the mechanisms within it feel forced and don't mesh well together, along with the actions just being a laborious 'fetch the next clue', over and over again. It has a good theme and some fun ideas (calipers for movements are genius), but the whole package is delivered in a really haphazard way.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm not saying it's a great game, but it's cheap and super easy to just shuffle the deck and have fun with it.

Bah why am I surprised with this kind of reaction when speaking about board games/rpgs, not like I'm new to the hobby.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

You know, of all the adjectives one could use to describe Munchkin, I'm not sure "cheap" is one of them.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Eh, it's like 20-30 bucks for the one box. Compare to like, 80 for things like Ticket to Ride or a bunch of other stuff that's 40-60. It has a ton more poo poo you can buy, yeah, but if you're just playing with the one set it's relatively inexpensive.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Generic Octopus posted:

Eh, it's like 20-30 bucks for the one box. Compare to like, 80 for things like Ticket to Ride

I... what? Ticket to Ride is like, $50 max.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Asymmetrikon posted:

I... what? Ticket to Ride is like, $50 max.

Everywhere I've seen it has had it at 70 minimum, one store had it at 85.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have Android:Netrunner, but I haven't played it yet (like most of the games I own).

Android and Android: Netrunner are not the same thing. Netrunner is an LCG based on the old WotC Cyberpunk 2020 TCG. Android is a game of investigating a murder in NEW ANGELES except the mechanics are horrible and overcomplicated and don't communicate the theme at all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Android and Android: Netrunner are not the same thing. Netrunner is an LCG based on the old WotC Cyberpunk 2020 TCG. Android is a game of investigating a murder in NEW ANGELES except the mechanics are horrible and overcomplicated and don't communicate the theme at all.

Yeah, the one I have is Netrunner. Mainly because I actually used to play the original CCG.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Generic Octopus posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Days-of-Wonder-DOW-7201/dp/0975277324/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Generic Octopus posted:

What country do you live in? Every TTR core set is 50 dollars American at MSRP.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

S.J. posted:

What country do you live in? Every TTR core set is 50 dollars American at MSRP.

Canada (Newfoundland) now, but the couple FLGSs my friend and I went to when we were in Fairfax a year ago had it on for $69.95.

Idk, wasn't trying to poo poo on TTR or anything, apparently it's cheaper on amazon/online/more sane stores.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Generic Octopus posted:

Canada (Newfoundland) now, but the couple FLGSs my friend and I went to when we were in Fairfax a year ago had it on for $69.95.

Idk, wasn't trying to poo poo on TTR or anything, apparently it's cheaper on amazon/online/more sane stores.

Here is is on Amazon.ca for $48.50, with Prime shipping (half an hour later in Newfoundland)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Card games? If at all possible, I recommend you pick yourself up some Pixel Tactics. It's a 2-player game but it has alternate modes for 4-player play and you can buy the original set and/or the two expandalones and it works regardless of which you actually decide to get.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Generic Octopus posted:

Eh, poo poo on it all you want, I honestly don't think it's all that great although it serves as a good intro game for people new to the hobby.

But for the price range a person would pay for munchkin there are much more well made games out there available to you.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had a lot of fun playing Munchkin and we even finished multiple games. But then, this was with a group who had like 12 editions and you rolled a D12 to determine which deck to draw from every round, and the juxtaposition of rules combined with the good-humored nature of the group probably made it a lot more fun than it should have been.

Plus how many Axe Cop games are there ever going to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

S.J. posted:

But for the price range a person would pay for munchkin there are much more well made games out there available to you.

I'm gonna use this opportunity to plug Cory Jones & Rob Heinsoo's Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre, it's $30 and amazing. Easy to learn, quick to play, people love it.

• Locked thread