Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

So the first time I played EQ I main'd a Pally, are they still poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rymos
Jan 31, 2014
They got a LOT better after roughly PoP. So if you wanted to play a pally on this server--I wouldn't.

They got help, but it wasn't until PoP that they became pretty good. They're playable, but there are better classes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Paladins make amazing exp group tanks. Great aggro generation, quite durable, can root for CC , can stun casters, and LoH will save lives regularly. I generally prefer them over SKs, who are the only other class who comes close to how good they are at that role. Not real great for anything else though, and they don't get as many convenient skills as SKs do such as invis and feign death.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 11, 2014

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009
I recall Paladins being pretty good in Velious as well with good Tov loot. So don't roll one unless you are someones alt or have tons of cash for drops.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Best thing to do (assuming you're playing on Red with us) is play a class you want to play. Don't worry about how strong it is. You'll have more fun if you're playing a class you like. You can find groups as any class on this server because the xp bonus for grouping is high. It's not like blue where people shun XP penalty classes.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Thinking of running a bard on Red. They any fun in PVP? Do train mechanics work like 1999?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Kortel posted:

Thinking of running a bard on Red. They any fun in PVP? Do train mechanics work like 1999?

Bards are basically the very best class in PvP

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Guy's they're onto us.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Best thing to do (assuming you're playing on Red with us) is play a class you want to play. Don't worry about how strong it is. You'll have more fun if you're playing a class you like. You can find groups as any class on this server because the xp bonus for grouping is high. It's not like blue where people shun XP penalty classes.

I just never played anything past 40 other than a Paladin. Leveling one character for raiding was hard enough, gently caress that noise.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
You should toss that dude at least a share of the plat. He's p upset just sayin

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Pillow Armadillo posted:

There is no plat. Just 2 lovely weapons I'm giving to newbies. He won one of the 3 gems that dropped.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Okay, in on red as Tanlarie, now to find my way out Neriak.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Pillow Armadillo posted:

He was trying to get us to roll on vendor trash that nobody needed and spent half the party afk. You should have seen how much the 500k epic rogue twink whined too.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Had some solid groups tonight, but the highlight was in Highkeep. After 2 hours or so of great XP in a full group, the wizard in group randomly started nuking me on a big pull and then chased me out of the zone trying to finish me off while claiming it was some random other person in zone doing it, not him. I lost him in HPH pretty easily and then he claimed he had to AFK, gated away from group and logged. So, I guess if you are planning to log the thing to do is pick the lowest level person in PVP range in your group and try to kill them before leaving. Glad I know now!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So how does this game interact with regards to AoE spells in parties? If I'm a bard and I cast an AoE slow, is that going to tag all of my party too?

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

So how does this game interact with regards to AoE spells in parties? If I'm a bard and I cast an AoE slow, is that going to tag all of my party too?

All of the current detrimental bard aoe on P99 will not land on party members on blue. I cannot speak for red.

ptothebtothek
Nov 6, 2009

T-Bone posted:

We ended up heading over to the Karanas and doing Hounds. Was thinking maybe of a nostalgia trip to Runnyeye tonight with our low 20s group? I know Forrest and Mistey said they would be around. Could also attempt Guk or even do Aviaks or Craig Spiders.

(Rozanne)

I did not have a chance to log on last night but will be there tonight. Still parked at Unrest but down for whatever is good. Does anyone do Cazic Thule? Might be an ok place to escape the PKers for a while I was thinking as well.

Gristling

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

I did Najena from 20-30 as the ZEM is really awesome and hardly anyone goes to that zone. You guys might want to look into it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sagnid posted:

All of the current detrimental bard aoe on P99 will not land on party members on blue. I cannot speak for red.

Of course the AoEs don't hit party members on blue, no player casted detrimental AoEs hit other players in blue (Exception being rain spells are able to hit the original caster). I was referring to the PvP server where there are often incidental AoE spells being fired off in groups.

Oh, that reminds me, what's the status of AoE groups in P1999 on red? I remember way back in OG Velious era EQ getting into groups in Chardok with my wizard wherein we grab 8-10 mobs, use a enchanter/cleric/bard to chain AoE stun/mez the lot while a few Wizards and Mages blasted everything down. Do people still attempt that on red or is it too risky with the PVP threat?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 11, 2014

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

DeathSandwich posted:

Of course the AoEs don't hit party members on blue, no player casted detrimental AoEs hit other players in blue (Exception being rain spells are able to hit the original caster). I was referring to the PvP server where there are often incidental AoE spells being fired off in groups.

Oh, that reminds me, what's the status of AoE groups in P1999 on red? I remember way back in OG Velious era EQ getting into groups in Chardok with my wizard wherein we grab 8-10 mobs, use a enchanter/cleric/bard to chain AoE stun/mez the lot while a few Wizards and Mages blasted everything down. Do people still attempt that on red or is it too risky with the PVP threat?

can't speak for Red, but on Blue this is common except it's the entire zone pulled.

Bard AoE on Red hits friendlies. As does mezz :v:

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

The Rage posted:

So the first time I played EQ I main'd a Pally, are they still poo poo?

Paladins are awesome. I may be saying that as one of a handful of level 60 pally's on blue.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ptothebtothek posted:

I did not have a chance to log on last night but will be there tonight. Still parked at Unrest but down for whatever is good. Does anyone do Cazic Thule? Might be an ok place to escape the PKers for a while I was thinking as well.

Gristling

I'm down for Cazic (a lot of my Darkforge stuff comes from there actually), Guk, Najena, Runnyeye - anything really. Would prefer to stay on Antonica for a little while so I can train but all of those zones would be a lot of fun. Najena/Cazic/Runnyeye might be our best bets right now PK wise. Ginette and I didn't play much last night either, both about halfway to 22 atm.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

Oh, that reminds me, what's the status of AoE groups in P1999 on red? I remember way back in OG Velious era EQ getting into groups in Chardok with my wizard wherein we grab 8-10 mobs, use a enchanter/cleric/bard to chain AoE stun/mez the lot while a few Wizards and Mages blasted everything down.

ptothebtothek
Nov 6, 2009

T-Bone posted:

I'm down for Cazic (a lot of my Darkforge stuff comes from there actually), Guk, Najena, Runnyeye - anything really. Would prefer to stay on Antonica for a little while so I can train but all of those zones would be a lot of fun. Najena/Cazic/Runnyeye might be our best bets right now PK wise. Ginette and I didn't play much last night either, both about halfway to 22 atm.

Unfortunately I think the Darkforge stuff drops off lvl 35ish mobs so might be better to stick to other dungeons till then. I will see who is around when I get on tonight and head for the boat if need be. I am about half way to 22 as well I think.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ok, I probably won't be on till late.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I haven't played EverQuest since I was a wee lad and I'm wanting to relive those days while waiting for the new WoW expansion. I've got only three questions at the moment:

1) Should I play on Red? It seems like the game population is already quite low, and I'm not really into PvP in MMOs at all (I am a huge carebear). But if all the hip cool goons are playing Red I guess I'd rather be there.

2) What class should I play? I know this is a tough question to answer, so let me try and help. I main a Mistweaver Monk in WoW at the moment (going to switch to Brewmaster in WoD), and I typically prefer to play in-your-face sort of classes. I was thinking either Warrior, Paladin, or Shadowknight, or possibly Magician since I seem to remember playing and enjoying one.

3) How important is soloing in Project 1999? Sort of related to the previous question, I suppose.

Looking forward to questing forever.

EDIT: sow plz

Poultron fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 11, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Poultron posted:

I haven't played EverQuest since I was a wee lad and I'm wanting to relive those days while waiting for the new WoW expansion. I've got only three questions at the moment:

1) Should I play on Red? It seems like the game population is already quite low, and I'm not really into PvP in MMOs at all (I am a huge carebear). But if all the hip cool goons are playing Red I guess I'd rather be there.

2) What class should I play? I know this is a tough question to answer, so let me try and help. I main a Mistweaver Monk in WoW at the moment (going to switch to Brewmaster in WoD), and I typically prefer to play in-your-face sort of classes. I was thinking either Warrior, Paladin, or Shadowknight, or possibly Magician since I seem to remember playing and enjoying one.

3) How important is soloing in Project 1999? Sort of related to the previous question, I suppose.

1.) If you like playing with people, then Red is actually the place to play. I'm dead serious. You'll see why when I get to point 3.

2.) How gear dependent do you want to be? How much do you care about ability to get out of a bind? How much do you care about utility?

3.) Soloing is totally unimportant if you play on Red. Serverwide /ooc + a super fun and good group bonus + protection from PKs = everyone wants to group, all the time. Yes, you'll mostly be focused in a few popular dungeons most of the time, but that is cool because you're getting insane xp and people are super helpful in the meantime.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Poultron posted:

1) A lot of goons seem to be enjoying it. I'm not so sure it's for me though. It really does have an incredibly low population. You aren't going to find groups anywhere other than the one designated dungeon for each level range, and even then I sometimes zone into Unrest or whatever only to find that I'm the only person there, or the two dudes there aren't in my level range. While there are some decent people around, the global /ooc community is unbelievably awful, and so far pvp entirely seems to be twinks annihilating those who don't stand any realistic chance of fighting back. It's pretty nice if you want to play a traditionally shunned class like Wizard or Ranger though, since people will still group with you on red no problem. You also level much more quickly there, especially if you find groups. And goons are cool, although personally I'm worried about getting into a situation where I invest a ton of time into hitting 60 on red only to find that sometime down the road, goon interest wanes and I'm stuck on a server I hate with people I hate, with an overall population that's probably just going to get even lower over the years.

2) Best answer I can give you is to check out Loraen's Class Selection Guide. Some good info there. The Newbie Guide has some similar stuff too. For pvp, this post is useful.

3) Blue perspective: Soloing can be pretty convenient if you just don't have the uninterrupted time to dedicate to a group. Sometimes I'll be doing other things while logged into EQ, come back to it when my mana bar is full, nuke the poo poo out of two mobs, then go back to being afk. Soloing is also significantly more prevalent on P1999 than it was on classic live. Some classes like wizard and necro are going to be soloing a lot because they aren't particularly wanted for groups. I wouldn't say that playing a solo capable class is necessary though, especially if you choose something that's in-demand like cleric, rogue, or a tank. Duoing is also pretty fantastic and it's something I've been doing a lot of lately as a shaman. You've just gotta take the initiative and ask people. I find that duoing is typically significantly more efficient than either soloing or running full groups, as long as you have two classes that complement each other well.

As for red, you get a massive exp bonus for grouping so you want to have as many people in your party as you can at all times, no matter what class they are. Soloing on red feels like a frustrating waste of effort because of how much more exp you'll get in groups. Often it can be tough to find people to join up with though, and you straight up will not find anyone outside of a handful of areas (that also tend to be infested with twinked PKs). Group composition is usually a bit of a mess with a lot of improvisation. Maybe you won't have a tank, maybe you won't have a healer, maybe you won't have any classes that do meaningful dps. Maybe any combination of those. That can make things a little more interesting, however.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 12, 2014

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
We've got a kurns group going- anybody wanting to come level with us or powerlevel us is welcome.

Xantares
Jul 25, 2006
I just don't know
Great Kurn's group tonight. Went from 14 to 17 in a couple of hours with just shadow knights and monks. Everyone else ended at levels 19 and 20, so groups will probably be hard to come by unless there's another influx of alts.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

DeathSandwich posted:

They can't exist on red because you'd just nuke the poo poo out of your group mates. Also you're doing AOE wrong if you're only pulling 8 mobs. On blue server you pull 100+, as close to the entire zone as possible. Gets up to around 140 a pull I think. About an orange per pull at level 56.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Someone in guild tonight was talking about leveling in the newbie area in EC at level 7, you'll find people starting out to play with (don't solo on red if you can help it, the bonus really is that crazy and you'll be missing out big time).

For me, red is great because I level at a decent enough clip that I constantly get new skills/spells and overall get to the meat of the game and my class faster.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Rolled an Ench on blue as well, Vanillafudge

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I forget who but somebody wanted a crude stein. I still have that one you wanted. My char name is Forrest. Hit me up in game if you want it, I'll just hold onto it for you.

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

The Rage posted:

Rolled an Ench on blue as well, Vanillafudge

Look me up tonight on Blue if you're on. I'll either be on as Ornate or Hecata. Will throw some PP your way to get you started. Might also have some caster gear you can have too.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Day 2 of the Sarnak Slaughter begins tonight.

Who will win, the Sarnaks or my motivation? Sanity has already been lost.

I'm 8 hours into the camp, some several hundred dead sarnaks. I'm parsing logs when I finally get a drop for an exact number, but I know it is already terrifying.

Also i'm going to do Kurns PL groups this weekend probably sometime. We'll see. I need lots of bonechips. I've decided to do Iksar faction since i'm already dubious to the Warrior guild thanks to Sarnaks :smithicide:

scubadub
May 29, 2007
Been puttering around on red last couple weeks.

Bingles 17 shaman
Dananar 11 rogue

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

Day 2 of the Sarnak Slaughter begins tonight.

Who will win, the Sarnaks or my motivation? Sanity has already been lost.

I'm 8 hours into the camp, some several hundred dead sarnaks. I'm parsing logs when I finally get a drop for an exact number, but I know it is already terrifying.

Also i'm going to do Kurns PL groups this weekend probably sometime. We'll see. I need lots of bonechips. I've decided to do Iksar faction since i'm already dubious to the Warrior guild thanks to Sarnaks :smithicide:

I hate camping anything that requires the death of Sarnaks. With Velious on its way the faction will be so good.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Sagnid posted:

I hate camping anything that requires the death of Sarnaks. With Velious on its way the faction will be so good.

On blue it took my monk 20 hours before crescent pants dropped. I murdered the entire third floor nonstop over a week of playing.

I just had my fourth sarnak tabard drop (second rotted, i've run out of holding alts), second ceremonial dagger, second Earring of Station, but no bracer yet. I've never seen an earring of station before and now I have two.

e: holyfuck it dropped!

1085 Sarnaks total
320 Sarnak Legionnaires
29.5% chance of Legionnaire spawn
0.31% droprate
83.5 Sarnaks killed per hour (~13 hours)

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Just started playing this and I quite like it because I'm a masochist. Character is Nithyan the enchanter.

A question:

How do you tell if you need to train a skill with GM points before it starts going up? Apparently some skills need it but I don't see anywhere that says what they are.

• Locked thread