Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
My favorite part of the "Hey guys we totally have a plan for CW" thread was Russ and Paul disagreeing on if Clans can fight Clans, and IS can fight IS. Two years in, totally have been planning CW from the beginning, and one of the most basic questions asked got opposing answers. :pgi:

Edit:

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

AP posted:

It would be interesting if someone at PGI decided that the only way to spin all this into a positive would be to come across as being victimised. Then use the publicity that generates to try and get that terrible new space game funded.

I think PGI is a lovely company that at some point decided to scam people with promises about features they either didn't intend or didn't have the talent to implement. But at the end of the day it's a game, it's not worth getting upset over, the last 48 hours have been wonderfully entertaining and that's good enough without some idiot starting to take this too seriously.

Nah, I wouldn't put it past some of the shitlords in that /r/ReachAroundHPV sub.

During the /r/mwo lollercaust, they were bitching that goons ruined things for them with shitposts (:shrug:), "misuse" of downvoting (:laffo:), and personal attacks (valid questions of sanity). Then they got so heated that their typing was foaming at the vowels as they went on a shitposting frenzy where they unironically broke every rule they held so dear and showed everyone why /r/mwo needed to be rescued from them.

They still don't see what they did as everything they claim to hate people doing. You could take one of their posts, scrub usernames off the post, and swap any mention of "goon" with "white knight", and they'd cry for that user to be banned.

loving reddit. :pedo:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

OB_Juan posted:

Apparently, they plan to nerf the Clan 'mechs a bit, and buff the IS 'mechs a bit.

Where's this from? During the Russcast just like three days ago, he said he was taking over from Paul, and wanted to leave clan weapon balance "where it is" with "no nerfs."

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Why is it so hard for PGI to figure out that the only way the dreaded goons can hurt them is to talk bad about them? We can't take money out of their pocket. We can't really make other people stop having fun playing the game. We can't force people to not back their IPs or buy gold mechs. Hell, I don't think any moderators play MWO, so we couldn't even get them banned from sa.com even if we wanted to (Please come here and post PGI, it will be hilarious).

Don't bother asking the question. I already know the answer is hubris.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Chronojam posted:

Where's this from? During the Russcast just like three days ago, he said he was taking over from Paul, and wanted to leave clan weapon balance "where it is" with "no nerfs."

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/169895-clan-balance-update/

It looks like they like where the weapons are, and are looking into changing the chassis themselves.

The "destroyed side torso = extra heat" thing actually seems good, so I'm sure they will decide against it.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 11, 2014

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Goons are indeed the cause of all strife and they are riling up the rest of the Internet against them

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

OB_Juan posted:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/169895-clan-balance-update/

It looks like they like where the weapons are, and are looking into changing the chassis themselves.

The "destroyed side torso = extra heat" thing actually seems good, so I'm sure they will decide against it. :pgi:

I'm okay with destroyed torso w/clan XL engines = more heat, but they really should include a return of engine critical hits if they do that. Also, any increase of mech HP is a direct nerf to clan laser weapons (massive extra heat for less dps than IS weapons) and all ammunition consuming weapons. These aren't terrible ideas, but they really need to be careful with them and let us playtest the poo poo out of it and be open to constructive feedback.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

A.o.D. posted:

I'm okay with destroyed torso w/clan XL engines = more heat, but they really should include a return of engine critical hits if they do that. Also, any increase of mech HP is a direct nerf to clan laser weapons (massive extra heat for less dps than IS weapons) and all ammunition consuming weapons. These aren't terrible ideas, but they really need to be careful with them and let us playtest the poo poo out of it and be open to constructive feedback.

Honestly half the problems with MWO stem from the weird design decision that all the numbers (armor, internals, weapon damage, etc) have to be the same as in the tabletop (the other half is just :pgi:).

They should have come up with their own weapon damage to armor values to begin with.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Honestly half the problems with MWO stem from the weird design decision that all the numbers (armor, internals, weapon damage, etc) have to be the same as in the tabletop (the other half is just :pgi:).

They should have come up with their own weapon damage to armor values to begin with.

Really, they're trying to manipulate too many variables at once. If they tried balancing the game by focusing on just one or two weapon statistics like weapon damage and firing rates, while leaving everything else 'canon' you could probably get very close to ideal balance just like that. By tweaking five or six things at once, it's way too easy to overshoot your mark and end up with a brand new dynamic that sucks.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

OB_Juan posted:

My favorite part of the "Hey guys we totally have a plan for CW" thread was Russ and Paul disagreeing on if Clans can fight Clans, and IS can fight IS. Two years in, totally have been planning CW from the beginning, and one of the most basic questions asked got opposing answers. :pgi:

Edit:

Oh wow! PGI can now afford a 2001 Chrysler 300M with under 140,000 miles on it!

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1066135?ad_cid=5

I say they go for it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Oh wow! PGI can now afford a 2001 Chrysler 300M with under 140,000 miles on it!

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1066135?ad_cid=5

I say they go for it.

Right now the combined cost of the Transverse website, the marketing trailer, and the PC Gamer bribes probably exceeds the amount they've raised. Better hold off on that car a little longer!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

WarLocke posted:

Eh, even if they were going to immediately change them, having the initial build use the Battletech values wasn't a bad idea. But they should have changed them considerably during open beta. That way they could tell the grogs "Welp, we tried the cannon values, but they just don't work in a vidya game", and also have reasonable damage values.

Realistically medium lasers and Clan LRMs have been out of balance since 1984 and 1990.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Changes like "Losing a side torso isn't an immediate death" and other changes to increase time-to-kill against mechs would have been awesome to experiment with years ago, making it likely that through critical hits, you'd actually be missing a lot of capability before finally succumbing to enemy fire. It would've even helped with sniper-v-brawler balance, ensuring that snipers couldn't take off far too high a fraction of your total health before brawlers close the distance (pretending for a moment that the DPS and ease of use is adjusted in favor of brawling weapons, SRMs aren't left to rot, etc.)

Wales Grey posted:

Seriously, why not have one unified PGI forum and do cross promotions?

Good news: PGI is open the idea of cross-game currency. (seriousposting)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

OB_Juan posted:

Eh, even if they were going to immediately change them, having the initial build use the Battletech values wasn't a bad idea. But they should have changed them considerably during open beta. That way they could tell the grogs "Welp, we tried the cannon values, but they just don't work in a vidya game", and also have reasonable damage values.

Realistically medium lasers and Clan LRMs have been out of balance since 1984 and 1990.

Yes! Sort of. I feel that the IS medium laser is the weapon all other weapons should be balanced around. That way there's a calibration point for every other weapon in the game. It's effective, but not devastating, and isn't the best weapon for any circumstance, but is a good all around close range weapon.

I'd love to give :pgi: feedback to their balancing ideas, but I don't really think that they'd listen to anyone with a sa.com posting history.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

A.o.D. posted:

I'd love to give :pgi: feedback to their balancing ideas, but I don't really think that they'd listen to anyone ever.

ftfy

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

BigPaddy posted:

Goons are indeed the cause of all strife and they are riling up the rest of the Internet against them

The irony of this being Overlord artwork isn't lost on me.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Less than two backers per hour.

This has truly been a gift from the gods to the schadenfreude fetishists. I can only hope there will be more, and that it will be worse.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I'm most looking forward to the disclosure by ex-employees years from now that tells us exactly why PGI spent 2+ years spewing lies about what they were working on. I really want to know who came to that decision and thought it was a good idea. I also want to know what their reaction was when the players rightfully realized that the fabled UI 2.0 was something they slapped together in under a month after claiming to have been working on it for a year.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Neo Helbeast posted:

The irony of this being Overlord artwork isn't lost on me.

It is on me. Is this a pubbiemon reference? :confused:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mindblast posted:

It is on me. Is this a pubbiemon reference? :confused:

Overlord's minion critters are colour coded. The most common ones, with no special abilities?

Brown.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

OB_Juan posted:

Well it's mostly that armor values in the 20-30s and weapons doing 5 baseline (med laser) works in tabletop because of randomized hit locations and one shot per turn per weapon. When you take a turn-based game and make it real-time with (mostly) pin-point aiming and let weapons fire way more often then just copying those numbers over is going to lead to a trainwreck.

MWO weapons fire faster and more accurately than in table-top, so armor values need to be increased to reflect that (as well as heat sink values, ammo per ton, and all the rest).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

poo poo goes a lot faster when you control the aim and aren't taking ten minutes rolling dice per shot.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Bieeardo posted:

Overlord's minion critters are colour coded. The most common ones, with no special abilities?

Brown.

:colbert: browns are best at melee and taking a beating.

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp
So can we like reboot #saveMWO? I don't think that good will towards goons has ever been higher and this time we might actually be able to affect some change in this clusterfuck of a game, instead of being blown off by an autist of a lead developer and the brown sea of shitbag white knights.

I know it's lame as gently caress to still be hanging onto this shitpile, but I loving love Mechwarrior and really want this game to turn into not a steaming pile of dogshit.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Selim Sivad posted:

So can we like reboot #saveMWO? I don't think that good will towards goons has ever been higher and this time we might actually be able to affect some change in this clusterfuck of a game, instead of being blown off by an autist of a lead developer and the brown sea of shitbag white knights.

I know it's lame as gently caress to still be hanging onto this shitpile, but I loving love Mechwarrior and really want this game to turn into not a steaming pile of dogshit.

gently caress em

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

Selim Sivad posted:

Sure, get it going.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

pixelbaron posted:

gently caress em

I've dumped far more money than I'm willing to admit into this under the stupid optimism they might make a fully released game at some point, and would sell my first born for a proper MechWarrior.

But after all this, gently caress 'em.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Selim Sivad posted:

Yeah, far too late for that. They always double-down in the face of disagreement. They'll hire Niko's brother or something if you try that now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Selim Sivad posted:

Honestly if you love Mechwarrior your honest to goodness best bet is to hope PGI dies completely and someone else takes up the torch. I don't think there is any path that involves PGI making a good Mechwarrior game.

I mean you're welcome to try but I wouldn't hold my breath.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Selim Sivad posted:

So can we like reboot #saveMWO?

It's far too late. PGI don't care about mwo anymore so good luck getting anyone else to care. If they had just been really lazy or unskilled that would be bad enough to overcome but it's pretty obvious they were working* on another game for almost the whole of 2013.

*very poorly

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I was gonna point out that a really rudimentary trailer like that probably didn't represent that much of an investment but since we're talking about PGI it probably did take them a full year to produce just that.

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp

Hybridfusion posted:

Sure, get it going.

there are people far better suited than I to lead the charge, like Chronojam, Fil5000, Tankboy, and Poptarts. Although, if they are on board yet not willing to lay the ground work (again) I would try my best to get something together.

But be forwarned I am retarded and lazy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Some joker made a thread "The REAL problem with PGI" over at both MWO and Transverse. His answer is that it is the community at fault for PGI's spotty history and failure to deliver on promises, and that it's unfair for us to ask PGI to have any amount of follow-through.

Russ Bullock rolled in to give his opinion on the piece:

original

Why can't we just look past the prior 1-2 years of PGI failing to lives up to what they try to sell us on? :( Good thing they're starting fresh by yet again casting aside any concerns the backers had and leaving a trail of bans in the wake.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

So did Niko get fired or what. Maybe I dreamed it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Selim Sivad posted:

this time we might actually be able to affect some change in this clusterfuck of a game, instead of being blown off by an autist of a lead developer and the brown sea of shitbag white knights.
Hate to break it to you but them launching a lovely and poorly thought out new game crowdfunder with a laughable trailer and typo-filled website implies bad things about how much money they have left.

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp

Chronojam posted:

Yeah, far too late for that. They always double-down in the face of disagreement. They'll hire Niko's brother or something if you try that now.

Well, let's say that in the coming days they display some sort of willingness to try to appease the community and right some wrongs. Would you be down for another campaign to try and right this ship and get this game back on track?

I mean for the love of god, just changing a few numbers on a spreadsheet and dropping ghost heat on the test server would be a MASSIVE step forward and a good sign that that they are willing to quit being stubborn shitdicks in order to get some money flowing back into their awful company.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
wow http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/170725-regarding-reddit/page__view__findpost__p__3712334
Emphasis mine

quote:

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback, comments, and concerns.
When I set up the r/Transverse Sub-Reddit, my intent was to have a spot where players could go and find any official information regarding the game on Reddit. We often note that some players cannot visit our forums or sites at all hours due to work or school network policies, which is why we had hoped to create a place on Reddit not unlike the Dev Corner.

Based on the reddiquette guidelines it seems possible we over moderated. With this in mind we are going to focus back intently on our own forums for each product, I look forward to interacting with you there.

I apologize personally and sincerely from the bottom of my heart for anyone who has taken this matter as a personal offence, and hope we can move forward together as a community as we introduce bigger and better announcements more directly related to our games.

Thanks for your time.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

A.o.D. posted:

Why is it so hard for PGI to figure out that the only way the dreaded goons can hurt them is to talk bad about them? We can't take money out of their pocket. We can't really make other people stop having fun playing the game. We can't force people to not back their IPs or buy gold mechs. Hell, I don't think any moderators play MWO, so we couldn't even get them banned from sa.com even if we wanted to (Please come here and post PGI, it will be hilarious).

Don't bother asking the question. I already know the answer is hubris.

Hi.

I'm the only PGI employee that posts on SA to my knowledge. The only way I'd ask for anyone to get banned here would be for personal threats that I believed were legit, doxxing, stuff that will get you banned from SA regardless of the context. I'd report the post in any other thread that I saw it in so it's not exactly something that's unique to this thread though.

I'm not here in any sort of official capacity so I just read the thread, chat with people who want to chat, and offer answers whenever I can (which isn't often).

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

And what, exactly, are we to judge PGI on if not their past performance?

gently caress you in your condescending rear end, Russ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wouldn't even care if they just kept trying and failing. What gets to me is stuff like being lied to about things like CW being in development for years, ignoring feature progress for cash grab items, dropping a pillar of the game's design to "ECM and BAP exist," and the usual treating their customers and playerbase like poo poo.

Wanna focus on the good? The art and sound teams are phenomenal. Mike from K-Town was a cool guy. The core gameplay (excluding balance, game modes, metagame, et. al) worked out to be pretty drat fun.

• Locked thread