Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ernie Muppari posted:

wow trannies are really powerful

I was more thinking "what the gently caress does that have to do with coal cars?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SedanChair posted:

whyleftismfailed.png

Also I'm totally related to the guy who used to do that billboard, hopefully he's dead now.

Did he do the painting? #autisticartists

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The painting used to be way better, I think his son must have "fixed" it or something.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

So who else has seen this weirdness? I know they have a billboard on Burnside too. Probably other places. Not sure who they're trying to reach with these though. Anyone who can make sense out of this billboard already knows who they're voting for anyway.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I imagine it's just this guy, but plus someone who owned MS-Paint:

Just saying words of events that happened, and assuming the reader fills in the blanks with scary stuff.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

xrunner posted:

So who else has seen this weirdness? I know they have a billboard on Burnside too. Probably other places. Not sure who they're trying to reach with these though. Anyone who can make sense out of this billboard already knows who they're voting for anyway.

I don't know if this is referring to local or national politics? The Bridge and the Website could mean the CRC and the ACA website in Oregon, or Christie's GWB problems and the national ACA websites...

Rudy Crew is...Rudolf Guliani? And Eliot is Eliot Spitzer?

And then Bhutan? I can't think of Bhutan being an issue in either Oregon or National politics.

Maybe this is just high level trolling?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Rudy Crew was superintendent of Tacoma Schools years ago, he was supposed to be mr. hot poo poo. He came to my class. Then he hosed off to New York halfway through his reforms, the end

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

I don't know if this is referring to local or national politics? The Bridge and the Website could mean the CRC and the ACA website in Oregon, or Christie's GWB problems and the national ACA websites...

Rudy Crew is...Rudolf Guliani? And Eliot is Eliot Spitzer?

And then Bhutan? I can't think of Bhutan being an issue in either Oregon or National politics.

Maybe this is just high level trolling?

It's definitely meant to be local. The bridge is the CRC. The site coveroregon. Rudy crew was our departed overpaid education czar. And Bhutan is a nontarversy where kitzhaber and his wife visited Asia.

Edit: but it's pretty much nonsensical unless you follow local politics. Which was why I shared it in the first place

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 11, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
And The Elliott is selling the Elliott State Forest to timber companies.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Reason posted:

Most of us are probably familiar with that billboard south of Centralia.

Can someone provide a little backstory to this?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

seiferguy posted:

For a couple of decades, there's been a big billboard on some private land next to I-5. The billboard has a big, poorly-drawn Uncle Sam and Limbaugh-esque talking points that get changed out every so often. It's actually two billboards back to back, so drivers in both directions can get some straight talk.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

seiferguy posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Sam_billboard

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I saw the Burnside Anti-Kitzhaber sign a couple of weeks ago & had the same reaction. Except I didn't get the Bhutan reference, so I looked it up. I was appalled that our governor is interested in Bhutan's Gross National Happiness metric.

Money > Happiness, get it together Kitzhabailures.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bob Socko posted:

For a couple of decades, there's been a big billboard on some private land next to I-5. The billboard has a big, poorly-drawn Uncle Sam and Limbaugh-esque talking points that get changed out every so often. It's actually two billboards back to back, so drivers in both directions can get some straight talk.

I want to say I saw a similar billboard when I was driving back to Portland from Corvallis.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

computer parts posted:

I want to say I saw a similar billboard when I was driving back to Portland from Corvallis.

I make that drive all the time. The closest billboard Centralia's is North of Albany right after the Millersburg exit. It usually says something like JESUS DIED FOR YOU or IF YOU DIED TONIGHT DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU'D END UP?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Bob Socko posted:

Is that the one that said something like "This is a law and order county"?

That thing made me feel like I was driving through some Kill All Citizens police zone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Schwack posted:

I make that drive all the time. The closest billboard Centralia's is North of Albany right after the Millersburg exit. It usually says something like JESUS DIED FOR YOU or IF YOU DIED TONIGHT DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU'D END UP?

That was probably it. There's also a sign on the way back from Newport that's just "Just Choose Life!" with a picture of a baby on it.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Washington also has that ever-changing Bible verse billboard right off I-5. Washingtonians really love putting their weird poo poo next to the the highway.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Schwack posted:

I laugh at that one relatively often, although I don't end up having to travel from Eugene to Salem as often as I used to. I want to say it was bookended with beer billboards last time I saw it, but don't recall exactly.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Schwack posted:

Washington also has that ever-changing Bible verse billboard right off I-5. Washingtonians really love putting their weird poo poo next to the the highway.

That giant metal jesus pillar somewhere I think its also south of centralia is also weird. There's also an eagle and some other poo poo there. There are some cool things though, like the metal bulls off of 101 near Olympia.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
The WA state supreme court just found the state legislature in contempt of court. No specific penalties given, and nothing until after the 2015 session.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/239448673/Court-order-on-McCleay-9-11-14

Should we bet on which social services will get slashed next year?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
I remember back in 2002? I drove from Seattle to San Jose and back with a friend, and on our return trip somewhere in Oregon (I vaguely remember Salem-ish area) we came across a billboard that loudly proclaimed THE POPE IS THE ANTICHRIST. Anybody else remember that one?

Also, booooo at all the Scientology poo poo all over Trimet.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I don't like the new Powell's entrance.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Me neither, it's ugly. :(

Also, I just realized that as of this month, I've lived in Corvallis for 10 years. Jesus.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Fats posted:

Also, I just realized that as of this month, I've lived in Corvallis for 10 years. Jesus.

What's not to like about living in Corvallis? I'm coming up on my 12th year after moving for college and probably won't be leaving the area any time soon.

And yeah, that religious billboard is right next to a Beaver Country beer billboard. Marketers know how Albany rolls.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Fats posted:

There is a lot worse places to live for ten years than Corvallis, I would think.

Other than it being small, it seems like a pretty ideal place to live.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Nothing wrong with it, I guess it's just more of a "holy poo poo I graduated high school ten years ago". Corvallis is great. Though work has taken me to Albany lately, which... isn't.

That said, I've lived in Oregon my entire life, so I figure I should leave at some point.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fats posted:

Nothing wrong with it, I guess it's just more of a "holy poo poo I graduated high school ten years ago". Corvallis is great. Though work has taken me to Albany lately, which... isn't.

That said, I've lived in Oregon my entire life, so I figure I should leave at some point.

I'm a native Oregonian, and left the state to live elsewhere for several years. I was glad to come back.

I'm from Eugene, but lived in Salem for a few years and spent time in Albany and Corvallis. Say what you will about Albany, but I think I prefer it to Salem. Just as I was glad to come back to Oregon, I was also glad to come back to Eugene.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hedera Helix posted:

I don't like the new Powell's entrance.

It does seem a lot bigger/empty that it was previously, also lacking in any character, sort of a microcosm of the way central Portland is going.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Fats posted:

You really should. It helps make you realize how amazing Oregon is to live in.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

El Jebus posted:

You really should. It helps make you realize how amazing Oregon is to live in.

Also some of its real limitations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bob Socko posted:

I'm familiar with the billboard and have driven by it many times before (usually Benghazi talking points lately), I should have specified that I was curious about that specific protest and what triggered it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ardennes posted:

Also some of its real limitations.

Absolutely. It isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

oxbrain posted:

The WA state supreme court just found the state legislature in contempt of court. No specific penalties given, and nothing until after the 2015 session.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/239448673/Court-order-on-McCleay-9-11-14

Should we bet on which social services will get slashed next year?

Based on the way funding has been robbed from local Washington governments lately you wont see social programs cut specifically but the system wide subtle pruning of all infrastructure and community outreach grants. Even though the economy and tax revenues are getting better, the quiet war "fiscal conservatives" are waging where its too complicated for the public to understand at a glance means that state governments are actively setting up small town America to fail just so they can be smug and say "See, ALL government is inept and wasteful :smug:"

Some examples in Washington:
All liquor tax revenues which used to have a portion go to municipalities now goes exclusively into state coffers because they privatization law gave them opportunity to do it. In my city this alone was 300k less income a year.

The pot laws have created an unfunded mandate for police departments at both a county and city level for enforcement because all the revenue expected goes exclusively to the state.

Grants for all local community centers have disappeared, times are tough they're told, which means as of Sept this year our community center has had to have an 80% reduction in services in 2014 because theyre just plain out of reserve money after being told that it wasnt going to be the norm for the entire recession.

The state doesn't find it important enough to pass a transportation bill so local governments can't design or send out for bid any general road maintenance or improvement to speak of because the funding for those things are always a mix of local state and federal funds, so a third of the money missing just isnt there. Considering their behavior otherwise don't bet on getting any sidewalks to remove pedestrians from traffic if they do manage to pass something.

I really don't think people realize just how badly the Republican controlled legislature has caused system wide destruction, but it's all long term effects so it just gets reported as Very Serious People having ideological disputes over Very Serious Things.

Not like we need roads or schools.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The best thing about Albany is that it's the same distance from a lot of nice things. Drive for about an hour and you can get to the coast, the mountains, Portland, or Eugene.

Ping's is awesome, too.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
"Equidistant from several places actually worth going to" is pretty consistent with my experience with Albany.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Javid posted:

"Equidistant from several places actually worth going to" is pretty consistent with my experience with Albany.

The great thing about this is that it's equally true for Kansas.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Was down in Portland for the weekend, and late at night I saw a traffic light go from solid red to blinking red and then completely off. WTF, is that normal?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mod sassinator posted:

Was down in Portland for the weekend, and late at night I saw a traffic light go from solid red to blinking red and then completely off. WTF, is that normal?
What part of Portland? Guessing Beaverton/Hillsboro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Nope it was on Burnside, driving into the city.

• Locked thread