Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I've gotten by for like 3 years without a ticket came in worthy post.

But lately things have been heating up. Users complaining about features that they think are bugs because they are bad at computers, asking really basic questions, blah blah.

The recent one is that a user entered text and saved it, and is now complaining that the text is too long and wants us to limit it on input. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

jaegerx posted:

Explain to your boss that this is an extremely quick way to get your credit processing account pulled and never given back.

My aunt was taking credit cards over email at her business. Once I found that I put a stop to that poo poo right away by explaining how know credit card company would ever let her take credit again.

Try running a business without a merchant account.

A car store I worked for did something akin to this. Only it was a credit application with 5 years of residential history, work history, references and social security number / DOB... in plain text format... over HTTP...

:suicide:

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Got a ticket in today where a lady couldn't get to Google.com. The problem she was having is that instead of Google opening up she was getting a picture of an old man with a beard that was asking her to install Google Chrome! I remoted in showed her it was a Google Doodle for Leo Tolstoy's birthday and then explained what Google Chrome was.

Ticket closed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cactus Jack posted:

Got a ticket in today where a lady couldn't get to Google.com. The problem she was having is that instead of Google opening up she was getting a picture of an old man with a beard that was asking her to install Google Chrome! I remoted in showed her it was a Google Doodle for Leo Tolstoy's birthday and then explained what Google Chrome was.

Ticket closed.

Just imagine the chaos that occurred when the first-ever playable Google doodle was launched. If you left your browser open to Google for 30 seconds it would start playing on it's own, complete with music. I had people calling in all day complaining/freaking out about it.

I don't think I was particularly productive that day either though.

http://macek.github.io/google_pacman/

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It has the winky face, so I'd do it. Just because it would be fun to replace someone's lovely machine with a shittier one.

Was I the only one who assumed it was a joke?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

This is for you guys

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

President Ark posted:

Resolved: Took some white-out, painted letters back onto keys.

Seriously though, my keyboard at home would probably give this guy an aneurysm - pretty much every key is worn off completely.

Having a Das Keyboard would be a pretty good security measure in a school.

In union talk, I'm a school computer janitor, and I'm in our classified (non-teaching) union. Which is pretty cool since the union just got me a $2/hour raise this year. Which puts me only a bit beneath neighboring districts. Compared to private sector, though...ugh. But, a lot of stability, good benefits, 181 work days a year, and teachers calling you a guru or computer genius to their class of awed 2nd graders when you push Input on the projector to get it to display the laptop screen.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pyroclastic posted:

Having a Das Keyboard would be a pretty good security measure in a school.

Counterpoint: "Is this where all that MOTHERFUCKING CLICKING IS COMING FROM?????" *STOMP*

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
An exec came in...

...to our office wiggling her hands as she usually does and proclaimed: HELP, a piece of cheese has appeared on my screen. YES A PIECE OF CHEESE I DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO EXPLAIN COME RIGHT AWAY!

It wasn't a piece of cheese, the mouse pointer turned into a cassette, which she interpreted as a piece of cheese, because she started making a macro in Word. She doesn't know what a macro is, she just clicked furiously and randomly and it happend.

I have tonnes of these...

Zhiwau fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 10, 2014

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

Counterpoint: "Is this where all that MOTHERFUCKING CLICKING IS COMING FROM?????" *STOMP*

"Ow my foot..."

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

President Ark posted:

Resolved: Took some white-out, painted letters back onto keys.

Seriously though, my keyboard at home would probably give this guy an aneurysm - pretty much every key is worn off completely.
Won't the white out wipe off on your fingers? It's cheap paint. Better put scotch tape over it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

Won't the white out wipe off on your fingers? It's cheap paint. Better put scotch tape over it.

Or some nail polish sealant.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So a frantic couple of tickets came in. Apparently GoDaddy added our email to a spam blacklist and we're getting tons of bouncebacks from smtp.secureserver.net. Fun.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A major cutover from our file server and Xendesk environment at our colo to the new file server and Xendesk environment in our Peak cloud came in...

A 19 hour workday yesterday (in at 8:30 AM, out at 2:30 AM - my boss was in until 4:30 wrangling the Citrix engineers) and so much asplosions come in.

-Vice Versa missed a bunch of files to copy from network shares and home drives (that's on me - lesson learned, just next time exclude the redirected Chrome appdata folders or target only the actual shares and home drives)
-MS Access (I know, I know) prompts to activate
-Horrible, horrible slowness to the new desk environment
-MRUs missing from Excel and other Office apps
-Missing passwords in some third-party apps, because end users cannot remember their bad PWs

Mostly unforeseen stuff but not fun on four hours' sleep.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Zhiwau posted:

An exec came in...

...to our office wiggling her hands as she usually does and proclaimed: HELP, a piece of cheese has appeared on my screen. YES A PIECE OF CHEESE I DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO EXPLAIN COME RIGHT AWAY!

It wasn't a piece of cheese, the mouse pointer turned into a cassette, which she interpreted as a piece of cheese, because she started making a macro in Word. She doesn't know what a macro is, she just clicked furiously and randomly and it happend.

I have tonnes of these...

The cheese touch!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm in the process of splitting some domains from one godaddy account into another. The last IT guy in his infinite wisdom put 2 businesses onto the same Godaddy account. I'm attempting to take control of the domains to phase him out entirely of the picture (2 years later).

The problem I have is he's added privacy to one of the sites using Domains by Proxy. He swears he never did this and blames it on the guy prior to him. I call the other guy and he puts the blame back onto the first who still claims he had nothing to do with it.

I call into Godaddy and confirm that his personal email account was the one registered when he set it up. His response when I message him again

"Oh, I'll look at it later. I guess it was me."

God damnit, why would you set up a corporate domain account with your personal loving Gmail account.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

m.hache posted:

God damnit, why would you set up a corporate domain account with your personal loving Gmail account.

People do this poo poo all the time.

I have a guy today who bought his company's backups under his personal gmail account and tied it to his personal Amazon storage.

Now he wonders why he's getting all the bills.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

People do this poo poo all the time.

I have a guy today who bought his company's backups under his personal gmail account and tied it to his personal Amazon storage.

Now he wonders why he's getting all the bills.

To complicate things more there are two buildings.

Building A has 2 business in it

Building B has 1 (The primary where I work).

1 Godaddy account has 1 business from Business A and the SSL Certs for Business B. Then there is an EZhosting account for the second business in building A, and a Network Solutions account for the domain for the business in Building B.

I had to re-read that 3 times to make sure I got it right.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

m.hache posted:

Oh i've got those situations peppered around that I know of, but haven't tackled. I'm hopefully be gone before they're triggered.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zhiwau posted:

An exec came in...

I was really hoping some disgruntled employee had slapped a piece of cheese on her monitor. If she ever pisses IT off now you know what to do.

Today the old version of Java we use got added to Microsoft's list of unsecure plugins to block from running. The solution to this will be to whitelist the sites that need Java, or possibly just disable the check altogether, because god forbid our Java devs keep their apps current.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:phoneb: Hey sirotan, is cow-orker there?
:phone: He's stepped away from his desk right now, what can I do for you?
:phoneb: Oh we have a leak in the ceiling. I already called the maintenance people about it but I know that cow-worker sometimes fixes these things for us... Could you tell him about it when he gets back?

lol yeah sure

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MJP posted:

Mostly unforeseen stuff but not fun on four hours' sleep.

Took a job once where I inherited an Access DB that printed count tickets and spit out counts for periodic physical inventories. First time around, I flew to the warehouse Thursday for Friday counts, found out late Thursday that they wanted print ticket formats changed, and I stayed onsite until 4am making the changes (I wasn't good at it then so there was a lot of Googling and smoke breaks). Passed out in my hotel room at 4:30am and was awoken by numerous calls at 7:30am demanding I come back onsite and change the format back.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Knormal posted:

I was really hoping some disgruntled employee had slapped a piece of cheese on her monitor. If she ever pisses IT off now you know what to do.

Today the old version of Java we use got added to Microsoft's list of unsecure plugins to block from running. The solution to this will be to whitelist the sites that need Java, or possibly just disable the check altogether, because god forbid our Java devs keep their apps current.

Hey I got that too today! Thanks, ADP!

Adding the site as a trusted site stops it from happening, there's also a GPO that will stop it from happening entirely.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

hihifellow posted:

Hey I got that too today! Thanks, ADP!

Adding the site as a trusted site stops it from happening, there's also a GPO that will stop it from happening entirely.
I saw that when I was Googling for fixes, but I'd rather let it keep doing its job and blocking Java for sites we don't know about. If it becomes a big enough deal maybe we can use it as leverage to get our apps updated.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Sirotan posted:

:phoneb: Hey sirotan, is cow-orker there?
:phone: He's stepped away from his desk right now, what can I do for you?
:phoneb: Oh we have a leak in the ceiling. I already called the maintenance people about it but I know that cow-worker sometimes fixes these things for us... Could you tell him about it when he gets back?

I wish I had a cow-worker :3:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
What???

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

I laughed.

Im in the middle of making people who got my name from another group of people go through the correct channel to request help. (Im not even part of the tech support in this group anymore). I hate when people do this, its been 2 years, we have phone support that answers fairly quickly, 2 different email addresses, AND you are in a different part of the state. Goddamn.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Outlook 2013 crashes when user sends email. This is both on his desktop and laptop.

This has turned into my personal case from hell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Billy the Mountain posted:

Outlook 2013 crashes when user sends email. This is both on his desktop and laptop.

When office starts doing things that can't be fixed by a repair, reinstall, or an ost deletion, save yourself the time and agony and reimage if the issue is big enough. The amount of time you are going to waste fixing it like you would any other issue is soon going to be longer than reimage.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

On the plus side: if they can't use Outlook, they can't use to send business-critical emails that you guys would only end up deleting from the archive anyway.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Sickening posted:

When office starts doing things that can't be fixed by a repair, reinstall, or an ost deletion, save yourself the time and agony and reimage if the issue is big enough. The amount of time you are going to waste fixing it like you would any other issue is soon going to be longer than reimage.

Small business client, imaging is not an option. Manual wipe and reinstall: billable time at 125/hour. Will piss client off so higher ups here don't want to do that. Rock, hard place.

spog posted:

On the plus side: if they can't use Outlook, they can't use to send business-critical emails that you guys would only end up deleting from the archive anyway.

:smith:
It wasn't us..it was Zenith...

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 11, 2014

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A bunch of calls came in. Some users can't print and are prompted to update their print drivers, which of course fails.

I checked the print server and EVERY 32bit driver has vanished. Called the server room and they ran a script to see which drivers were being used, but it was overzealous and removed all of the 32bit drivers. Thusly, nobody who is still clunking around on 32bit windows can print through the server. Now we get to put in more tickets to reinstall specific drivers as calls come in for specific printers.

Their reasoning for doing it? The driver folder was over 2GB and that stalled backups for whatever reason. Thanks for not at least warning the helpdesk.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

It wasn't us..it was Zenith...

So why haven't you told them yet? You ducked out of the thread after you last posted.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Boogalo posted:

A bunch of calls came in. Some users can't print and are prompted to update their print drivers, which of course fails.

I checked the print server and EVERY 32bit driver has vanished. Called the server room and they ran a script to see which drivers were being used, but it was overzealous and removed all of the 32bit drivers. Thusly, nobody who is still clunking around on 32bit windows can print through the server. Now we get to put in more tickets to reinstall specific drivers as calls come in for specific printers.

Their reasoning for doing it? The driver folder was over 2GB and that stalled backups for whatever reason. Thanks for not at least warning the helpdesk.

This, This is what itil change boards were designed for.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

So why haven't you told them yet? You ducked out of the thread after you last posted.

I thought Billy didn't really have a choice? He was just the patsy getting pulled along for the ride. He'd better be working on getting out of that job but it's not really on him if his managers decided lying is the best solution.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Billy, as much as I'd like to hear about this trainwreck as it unfolds, it's probably best not to post about it on the internet. :)

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
An email came in from a cool user so I'll forgive her.
"I know you are not involved in this anymore but I am bothering you anyway."

Turns out it was an Outlook calendar issue which I was never involved in.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can I just say gently caress Microsoft for not allowing me to uninstall OneNote when you use their god drat click-to-run service.

Also, gently caress them for causing sendtoonenote print driver from eating all of the presidents printouts. I know they have their hands in so many different aspects of computers but Jesus why force One Note onto people.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Today I got to spend 10 minutes on the phone wondering why this user couldn't follow simple instructions and find any of the menus or anything I was trying to direct him to in Internet Explorer before I realized he was on Windows 8 and was in the wrong Internet Explorer. Thanks Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Knormal posted:

Today I got to spend 10 minutes on the phone wondering why this user couldn't follow simple instructions and find any of the menus or anything I was trying to direct him to in Internet Explorer before I realized he was on Windows 8 and was in the wrong Internet Explorer. Thanks Microsoft.
You also can't run Metro IE with the Administrator account. Normal IE works fine!

• Locked thread