Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

my dad posted:

Well, considering Durkula's grin and Roy's utter lack of subtlety, I'm going with this, too.

I read that expression as sincere (read: oblivious) rejoicing, not evil grin. That's what it has stood for throughout the comic as far as I'm aware. Elan pulls the same exact face in this old strip when talking of his beloved twin brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Eifert Posting posted:

Excuse me I now we are all tense but I can not brook you insinuating an OOTS member would pass their listen check. I hope that, in time, you'll realize what an idiot you've been.

Durkon's trapped, anguished soul probably heard nothing at all, if that makes you feel better. ...does thinking about Durkon's trapped, anguished soul make you feel better? Does it make you all warm and fuzzy inside? I bet it does, you loving monster. :mad:

Seriously though, unless Burlew has some twist planned and is just playing around with our expectations in the meantime (which he may well be), it seems likely that no one in the party is going to figure out that Durkula's a threat at all until he does something drastic like murdering Belkar and destroying the dwarven homeland or whatever. Which means that until we get to that we're in for a bunch of strips about everyone missing clues and drawing wrong conclusions to the point that we're just sitting here after every update cringing about what idiots they all suddenly are. I pretty much have never seen an OOTS strip I didn't like but I have to say I'm not really looking forward to this.

Even though I get that the audience knows way more than the characters in this case so maybe it's not fair to want to slap them all so hard, it's still going to be annoying to sit around for the next however many months waiting for them to finally start figuring things out. 'Wacky misunderstandings' driving a plot is not something I'm really a fan of in any medium, and especially in this case where the whole thing with Durkon's soul is kind of too horrible for me to ever really find jokes about the abomination puppeteering his body around all that funny.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

This. The terrible joke was a vehicle for the character chat.

Yes, a vehicle for terrible character chat. I'll never get tired of strong female characters talking about how strong and female they are and I'm probably not alone. I think when all is said and done the strip's audience will hate all these Mechane characters as opposed to people like, for example, Lien who just go out and do stuff without having to talk about how hard or important it is.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 1, 2014

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
What the gently caress are you talking about?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The last two updates and how awful they were!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Cliff Racer posted:

Yes, a vehicle for terrible character chat. I'll never get tired of strong female characters talking about how strong and feeble they are and I'm probably not alone.

So we have one lesbian who's got no problem suddenly being ship captain because hell yeah, and one engineer who gets the creeps from having a vampire on board, and this is sufficient fodder for complaining about strong female characters talking instead of beating someone up?

I'm totally behind "these strips are boring and hamhanded character development right now" but I don't see why some of the characters being female suddenly makes it somehow worse than it would be otherwise.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'm totally behind "these strips are boring and hamhanded character development right now" but I don't see why some of the characters being female suddenly makes it somehow worse than it would be otherwise.
The secret is that Cliff Racer is a troll. :ssh:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zoe posted:

Durkon's trapped, anguished soul probably heard nothing at all, if that makes you feel better. ...does thinking about Durkon's trapped, anguished soul make you feel better? Does it make you all warm and fuzzy inside? I bet it does, you loving monster. :mad:

Seriously though, unless Burlew has some twist planned and is just playing around with our expectations in the meantime (which he may well be), it seems likely that no one in the party is going to figure out that Durkula's a threat at all until he does something drastic like murdering Belkar and destroying the dwarven homeland or whatever. Which means that until we get to that we're in for a bunch of strips about everyone missing clues and drawing wrong conclusions to the point that we're just sitting here after every update cringing about what idiots they all suddenly are. I pretty much have never seen an OOTS strip I didn't like but I have to say I'm not really looking forward to this.

Even though I get that the audience knows way more than the characters in this case so maybe it's not fair to want to slap them all so hard, it's still going to be annoying to sit around for the next however many months waiting for them to finally start figuring things out. 'Wacky misunderstandings' driving a plot is not something I'm really a fan of in any medium, and especially in this case where the whole thing with Durkon's soul is kind of too horrible for me to ever really find jokes about the abomination puppeteering his body around all that funny.

Given all of this, I can't help but wonder: What if Rich had omitted that last strip from the previous book (and obviously changed the strips that rely on us knowing that he's not the real Durkon)? In other words, let the audience try puzzling it out for themselves along with the characters, maybe show Durkula do something to give a false sense of security that he's the real deal, then turn on the Stick when his goal is in reach, with a denouement strip that goes through all of the subtle clues you might've picked up on up to that point.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
I think this strip has more to do with Rich having the spergiest audience ever, and if he doesn't start showing how the Order is doing the right investigations but coming up with the wrong answers, his forums will go even more to poo poo with whining about how unrealistic the situation is.

Not that that excuses such a lame strip.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Ursine Asylum posted:

So we have one lesbian who's got no problem suddenly being ship captain because hell yeah, and one engineer who gets the creeps from having a vampire on board, and this is sufficient fodder for complaining about strong female characters talking instead of beating someone up?

The issue isn't the characters themselves. It's that the dialog has been very poor (stilted, over-explaining) recently. It could be that Rich is just off his game, but another possible explanation is that he's dumped in some new female characters and is finding it hard to write interesting women when they don't just yell "BITCH!" all the time. (As lampshaded in #959.)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Eschers Basement posted:

I think this strip has more to do with Rich having the spergiest audience ever, and if he doesn't start showing how the Order is doing the right investigations but coming up with the wrong answers, his forums will go even more to poo poo with whining about how unrealistic the situation is.

Not that that excuses such a lame strip.

It's a shame he can't just add DM notes on the forums to say "Offscreen, Roy was concerned enough to listen to Durkon praying for spells, but unknowingly failed his listen roll and misheard "Hel Knows Thor Will Go" as "Hell No Thor Won't Go". Durkon intentionally chose this oddly-worded prayer so that he could pray in a valid manner to his diety and just say "oh you misunderstood me" if anyone heard him."

Oh well.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ursine Asylum posted:

It's a shame he can't just add DM notes on the forums to say "Offscreen, Roy was concerned enough to listen to Durkon praying for spells, but unknowingly failed his listen roll and misheard "Hel Knows Thor Will Go" as "Hell No Thor Won't Go". Durkon intentionally chose this oddly-worded prayer so that he could pray in a valid manner to his diety and just say "oh you misunderstood me" if anyone heard him."

Oh well.

The less Rich does to cater to pedantic assholes the better.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

The less Rich does to cater to pedantic assholes the better.

Well, point being he could do that instead of blowing his once-a-month comic schedule on "explaining poo poo to pedantic assholes". I'd rather have spergin' :words: than spergin' comics.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ursine Asylum posted:

Oh well.

Comics are a visual medium, you do this and you end up like that Erfworld guy who literally gave up doing the comic portion or something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

YouTuber posted:

Comics are a visual medium, you do this and you end up like that Erfworld guy who literally gave up doing the comic portion or something.

mcbain.gif

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

YouTuber posted:

This is all poo poo that doesn't have to actually be explained at all. So instead of wasting time drawing comics explaining non-existant plotholes he could just explain them to the only audience that cares while actually covering ground in his comics.

He spends way too much loving time worrying about idiots on his forums.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

YouTuber posted:

If it lets you skip 10 comics worth of bullshit to appease the people saying "Well if I was the party leader, I wouldn't just take it at face value, I'd listen in to his prayer sessions and catch him praying to Hel, this entire arc is based on a flawed premise :smugbert:" then I'm all for it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Usually, though, Rich picks "decent writing" over "appease a moron."

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Well, in any case, I hope he's ok.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

YouTuber posted:

Didn't that happen because the artist had a family tragedy or something and took a hiatus? I can't blame him for keeping the comic going as best he could under the circumstances.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ArchRanger posted:

Didn't that happen because the artist had a family tragedy or something and took a hiatus? I can't blame him for keeping the comic going as best he could under the circumstances.
That's the point where you look for other, temporary or replacement artists. And it's long since gone past the point of "just making due", since many of the actual important (and stupid) plot twists were hidden in those "optional" text updates. Like, for example, that Charlie is literally the Wizard of Oz.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Poison Mushroom posted:

That's the point where you look for other, temporary or replacement artists. And it's long since gone past the point of "just making due", since many of the actual important (and stupid) plot twists were hidden in those "optional" text updates. Like, for example, that Charlie is literally the Wizard of Oz.

While there have been important plot points in the text updates I really doubt that's one of them, I think that's the author trying (and failing) to be clever, or the running theme in a lot of webcomics of cramming in as many references as possible. I disagree on temporary artists being better however. If the author has someone in particular he feels comfortable working with I don't really see a problem with them updating their story in a different format temporarily rather than taking a complete hiatus.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

Poison Mushroom posted:

Any idea which text update this is in? I'd like to read that but I hate slogging through all of them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeroc2 posted:

Any idea which text update this is in? I'd like to read that but I hate slogging through all of them.
Somewhere in Book 0. I'm not spending the :effort: to figure out exactly where, though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Yeroc2 posted:

It was in this one.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
That was in the main comic too, eventually, in the epilogue for Book 2.

not
Oct 13, 2006
:s:
:siren: New comic, #962.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am not quite sure I can get used to Durkon having character development.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
The spirit's message about his mission in the second to last panel definitely foreshadows Hel's role in the plot, but what's she aiming for? Continue existence so she can keep harvesting souls? Hasten the Snarl's release so she can collect a lump sum of souls? Take the Snarl for herself by slaying Redcloak and giving Durkula the divine half of the ritual? (Unlikely against a living cleric who's an expert at manipulating sentient undead.) The spirit implies that Durkon will understand why he was used, even if it is "too late," so maybe the mission isn't justified only from an evil standpoint?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, at least in mythology, Hel's not really evil, just (rather justifiably) not particularly happy with the gods. Or in general. She actually tends to be pretty fair and reasonable, people just don't like her because she's ugly and rules over the realm of those who died of sickness and old age. Also her father's kind of a dick.

Assuming there's a similar thing going on here and the dwarf perspective of Hel is biased (which is a fair assumption, they're not exactly reasonable about other things, and Thor's an rear end in a top hat), she could have an agenda beyond "be evil and do bad things".

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ugh, the way hands look now just does not look good. The new art style might be less stick figurey but that doesn't make it better.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Was that a celebrity photo leak reference at the end there?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Celebrity photo leak reference at the end there. I'm sure that will stay relevant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kajeesus posted:

Celebrity photo leak reference at the end there. I'm sure that will stay relevant.

To be fair they joke would make sense at any point in the last several decades, it's just slightly more relevant right now because of the news.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kajeesus posted:

Don't worry, it will.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
So I guess this means Durkon's mum was a gamer?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Pretty sure the flashback to Durkon's childhood is a joke about this strip. Smite the tree with a thunderclap. Durkon learned not to be a stickler for the rules.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Pretty sure the flashback to Durkon's childhood is a joke about this strip. Smite the tree with a thunderclap. Durkon learned not to be a stickler for the rules.

Even if it's not, I like the dots you draw.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:siren:New Comic:siren:

Pretty sad strip overall, really.

It's time for the sound of goblins to be heard again!

e X fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

e X posted:

:siren:New Comic:siren:

Pretty sad strip overall, really.

It's time for the sound of goblins to be heard again!

You're a monster, you know that? Though that is pretty drat sad news for lovers of quality webcomics.