Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

B-Mac posted:

Speaking of Shadowrun Returns. Is Dragonfall any better than Dead Man's Switch? DMS was pretty decent and was thinking about Dragonfall when it goes on sale.

Yes, absolutely. DMS was pretty terrible, Dragonfall is really good and probably what the game should have shipped with.

There's a standalone version of Dragonfall due out pretty soon which you get for free if you own the Dragonfall DLC right now, but I don't know how that's going to work once the standalone is out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

B-Mac posted:

Speaking of Shadowrun Returns. Is Dragonfall any better than Dead Man's Switch? DMS was pretty decent and was thinking about Dragonfall when it goes on sale.

Dragonfall is fantastic and far better than DMS. It's getting a directors cut edition in a week.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

B-Mac posted:

Dragonfall is much much better, both in engine tweaks and in plot/writing. IMO it's hard to go back to DMS after playing Dragonfall.

Really looking forward to the Director's Cut. Glory's new mission in particular, if it is what I think it is. :unsmigghh:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Magic Underwear posted:

Is this a multiplayer-only indie game? If so I would mention it since games like that have a history of quickly dying out due to lack of players, no matter how good the game itself is.

Yeah. Sadly. I think I remember seeing some stats that there were 400 players on last night? Which is enough for now and probably more for peak hours, but yeah it'll start to decline into obscurity. If you're interested though, it should be fun and active for the next month so hop on it. It's too bad that there's so many things still unfinished.

They have a Pay for Skin tab ($1.99) model already in-game and such that it could easily be converted to a Free 2 Play game with some more Pay for Schematics and things like that as well. In fact I would bet money on that it does eventually go F2P which may hopefully keep it more active.

Another thought that came to mind when I played it--it's sort of like Brink if Brink was more abstract, didn't take itself so seriously, actually fun to play, and was done almost right

Ragequit posted:

Are you playing with a controller or mouse? I feel like I'd have to use a mouse to aim well for a fast paced shooter like that, but I still don't have a desk.

It does have a Aim Assist (I'm not sure if it works or what) and controller options. It's not a twitch headshot FPS and I dont think there is locational damage (at least not that I noticed)--so it's more constant tracking+shooting; so I think a Controller would probably do okay as long as you can do 180 degree turns fairly quick and can track well enough. A lot of it has to do with running and jumping around as well which a Controller can do just fine. Plus you can also play as a Katana-wielding warrior which seem to be quite good if you can get close.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 11, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Steam Weekend Deals gives you the choice of either the mediocrity of Skyrim or the mediocrity of Kingdoms of Amalur, $4.99 each

And there's a Capcom sale this weekend as well:

Capcom Action Pack ($17.99)
Bionic Commando Re-Armed
Remember Me
DmC

Capcom Zombie Pack ($29.99)
Dead Rising 2
RE: Revelations
RE 5

Capcom All-Star Pack ($24.99)
Dead Rising 2
DMC4
RE6

RE4 HD: $9.99
RE6: $9.99
Remember Me: $5.99 (lowest price ever?)
Lost Planet: $2.99
Bionic Commando+Bionic Commando Rearmed: $3.99
Ducktales Remastered: $7.49
D&D Chronicles of Mystara: $7.49
DMC3+DMC4 Bundle: $7.49
Onimusha 3(this is on Steam?): $4.99

Humble Store Deals:

Dead Island Riptide - $4.99
Dustforce - $1.99
Gods Will Be Watching - $7.49
Just Cause 2 - $2.99
Pulstar - $3.49
Retro City Rampage - $1.99
Rocksmith 2014 - $14.99
Spacebase DF9 - $12.49
The Cave - $3.99

Yesterday's deals (Shadow Warrior for $8, FTL $3, etc) are still active, there's a banner to click on that says "deals you may have missed" that'll take you there.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 11, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How the PC port of Resident Evil 4 now? I heard it was very iffy at launch, also does it have any mods like that OTHER PC Port of RE4?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
How is Rearmed? It's not that weird one where the guy's wife is his arm, is it?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Elminage Gothic is available for preorder now. Releases the 18th, 20% off ($7.99)

It's a japanese-developed, very heavily Wizardry-inspired dungeon crawler series that's been going for a while now. Another entry in the series (Original) released on PSP in the US a while back but this is the first one for PC in English.

Justin_Brett posted:

That's the one simply called Bionic Commando.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rirse posted:

How the PC port of Resident Evil 4 now? I heard it was very iffy at launch, also does it have any mods like that OTHER PC Port of RE4?

The only iffy part of RE4's PC re-release was mouse control. There was a really weird deadzone which meant you had to move the mouse really far to get a relatively small amount of movement. They patched in 1:1 movement about a month after release as a control option which has the only downside of making the shooting really easy to do.

Don't know what mods there could be.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Justin_Brett posted:

No, Rearmed is a remake of the original and fantastic.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kibayasu posted:

The only iffy part of RE4's PC re-release was mouse control. There was a really weird deadzone which meant you had to move the mouse really far to get a relatively small amount of movement. They patched in 1:1 movement about a month as a control option after release which has the only downside of making the shooting really easy to do.

Cool. Going to grab it then once I get rid of some cards.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Cool, I'll check it out.

And that RPG is giving off EO vibes, and that's never a bad thing.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

LastCaress posted:

Shouldn't Tower Defense games be on sale today?

Natural Selection 2 is.

Really unsure if intentional or what the message is.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

http://nothing.edwardbowden.co.uk/freecopy/

Free game or just nothing, I don't even know.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mega Comrade posted:

No, Rearmed is a remake of the original and fantastic.

It's one of the best platformers ever made and more than worth 2 bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daDiZrmZb-c

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Steam Weekend Deals ... Kingdoms of Amalur $4.99

Is this good? I always liked the aesthetics and the whole 'single-player MMO' bit is strangely appealing (I guess I'm broken that way) but it almost never goes on sale...

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

WarLocke posted:

Is this good? I always liked the aesthetics and the whole 'single-player MMO' bit is strangely appealing (I guess I'm broken that way) but it almost never goes on sale...

I found it mediocre to mediocre awful. A lot of MMO type fetch quests without the multiplayer portion.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Surprisingly, Strider is not a part of the Capcom sale, which is a shame, since it's my Game of the Year for 2014 so far.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
You can get FFXI with every expansion and addon for 9.99 euros over at the Square Enix store.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

You can get FFXI with every expansion and addon for 9.99 euros over at the Square Enix store.

but please don't

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Don't play FFXI. It's really bad.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How does DMC compare to something like Revengeance?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

WarLocke posted:

It's playable and enjoyable enough, and it gets a few points for going with a Celtic style instead of painfully rehashed Tolkien poo poo. Goons will flood in before too long to claim that it's entirely composed of "fetch me 10 bear asses" quests, which isn't actually true.

It has the same problem that any open world fantasy RPG has which is that there's just a ton of poo poo to slog through unless you stick to major quests and the combat never really substantially evolves past a certain point.

I only made it to one of the story DLCs (Naros), but it was interesting, and I recall hearing good things about the other one too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Unbearable posted:

http://nothing.edwardbowden.co.uk/freecopy/

Free game or just nothing, I don't even know.

I laughed. One I stopped laughing, I wasn't sure how to feel.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Malek posted:

I found it mediocre to mediocre awful. A lot of MMO type fetch quests without the multiplayer portion.

Yeah that's how I felt about Amalur too but I do know a few people who have sperged out with 100 hours into it. The combat system is ok but you very quickly figure out how to game it then nothing presents a challenge again. The quest quality was generic MMO bullshit and I could not remember a single aspect of the story if you held a gun to my head.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

WarLocke posted:

When Origin was offering free time I ended up uninstalling it before my time was up. The quests and story were aggressively mediocre, the combat was unresponsive, and character skills were uninspired and underwhelming. There was just nothing to look forward to.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Amalur's charming and has some neat ideas but is way, way, way too bloated and up its own arse. Game needed a lot more focus.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

poptart_fairy posted:

Terrible, play DMC4 if you want another PC spectacle fighter.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
ReArmed is the best non-jumping game you can get. It does try to segue into BC, but don't listen to it.

poptart_fairy posted:

Terribly. Don't get it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Terrible, play DMC4 if you want another PC spectacle fighter.

This. Devil May Cry 4 is quite good (and a good port, unlike 3) but the reboot waa quite terrible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, 4 it is then. I'm usually in it for punching skyscrapers than tactical, nuanced combat so :v:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I laughed. One I stopped laughing, I wasn't sure how to feel.

This wasn't funny or worth the 30 seconds it took to get it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

The only really bad part about DMC4 is that you have to play as a kid named Nero before you can get to Dante, and once you unlock Dante you have to play all of Nero's levels as him. It's a shame, because Dante is great in DMC4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfdzyIrd89U

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

The only really bad part about DMC4 is that you have to play as a kid named Nero before you can get to Dante, and once you unlock Dante you have to play all of Nero's levels as him. It's a shame, because Dante is great in DMC4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfdzyIrd89U

It's not like Nero's not fun, but being able to switch between styles as Dante makes it really hard to go back to DMC3.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Mr E posted:

It's not like Nero's not fun, but being able to switch between styles as Dante makes it really hard to go back to DMC3.

Oh, Nero's plenty of fun to play as. But he doesn't quite have the charm that Dante has, which is quite apparent when the two of them are in the same scene together.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

DmC is not as good as Revengeance but its still pretty fun. The problem is that the game is more in the vein of games like God of War than previous games in the series.
As a casual fan of the style, I liked it a lot better than LoS and GoW, but if you want something more like DMC3 or the Platinum games you will be dissapointed.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

As a counter point, I very much enjoyed DMC, and I haven't heard any compelling reasons that it was a bad game except for "It's not like previous DMC games".

Though if someone wants to explain to me what makes the gameplay so bad, I'm all ears.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Is Remember Me worth dropping six bucks on?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Drunk Tomato posted:

This wasn't funny or worth the 30 seconds it took to get it.

That's even funnier.

What did you think it would be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Centipeed posted:

As a counter point, I very much enjoyed DMC, and I haven't heard any compelling reasons that it was a bad game except for "It's not like previous DMC games".

Though if someone wants to explain to me what makes the gameplay so bad, I'm all ears.

The gameplay, by itself, isn't godawful, though there are better games out there. However, the scoring system is really bad. If I can use the same attack, or two attacks over and over and get a good score, the game doesn't have compelling gameplay for an action game. At the price it's at it's not a bad choice to pick up, I just think that people should also pick up DMC4 if they want engaging gameplay throughout.

• Locked thread