Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I have never figured out where you can't be hit by those things in there. I just tank them and shove as much estus into my face as physically possible.

What? The last set of fireballs lands by the one item hidden in a corner, a ways before the giant lord. If you just fight him where he's standing you'll never get hit by them. I mean, maybe if you're staying way back and refuse to just stand on the platform where the fire seed is, but that's silly. Proper way to fight any giant thing in this game is to shove your face into its ankles and/or butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nah, everyone agrees that it's arguably the easiest boss in the game. Though that can lead to you letting your guard down in subsequent playthroughs. I dunno what's more embarrassing, the time I waltzed up the Prowling Magus all cocksure only to get stunlocked to death by two Lightning Spears followed by Wrath of God, or the time I failed to make Dragonrider kill himself only to have the boss launch me off the platform to my death instead.

For me it is definitely the time Covetous Demon rolled me into a corner I couldn't get out of and then rolled again, killing me. So embarrassing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

RBA Starblade posted:

I have never figured out where you can't be hit by those things in there. I just tank them and shove as much estus into my face as physically possible.

The area ends somewhere by the stairs, don't go that far and you won't get hit. If you enter the memory and start running and stop only when the head rolls by, you won't get hit on your way there, either. Why yes, I did kill him about 50 times, he's my soul pinata :3: I got the fight down to precise science, but it's tough especially at the start when he'll easily one shot you if you don't know the tells.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

So I alt-f4'd out of a couple invasions because the invaders were literally invincible and I was unaware they penalized you for that. Now I can't co-op with my friend. Supposedly the bone of order is supposed to let you reconnect to co-op, but it says "Cannot use at this time" every time I try to use it. Any ideas?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Are your Soul Memories relatively near each other?

If so, and you still can't connect (try wearing the Name Engraved Ring using same god), congratulations one of you has possibly been softbanned.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Yeah our soul memories are within a couple thousand of each other and we already tried the ring thing. If I'm softbanned, that applies to all my characters I'm guessing? That seems pretty lovely for just disconnecting from fights.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Scags posted:

I've been softbanned for 2 weeks now. I have never once cheated. The Iron Keep Bridge is a deadzone, and if I bellbro I fight the same 5-10 people over and over and over assuming I get a hit. I had tons of bellbro hits on Sunday morning (again, all the same people) but last night it was dry as a bone. I almost never get summoned as a sunbro and maybe have one sunbro I can summon per boss, half the time or less.

Uh-oh, this is what has been happening to me. I thought it odd that there were no signs on the iron keep bridge but just put it down to one of those days. Then I put on the bellbro ring and fought the same guy 3 times in a row.

I did build a new computer and pull my saves over, but there was no overlap between the two so if they're just checking soul memory it shouldn't have been a problem. Going to get on tonight and hope it was just a bad steam evening and I'm being paranoid.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

YO TALLGEESE.

Is it possible to use cheat engines to revert your death count to 0? I really, really want that ring. I mean I could probably cheatieface it in but gently caress that, that would make sense.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Apparently the thing they monitor seems to be just SM, which would be "lowered" if you loaded a backup save.

This is what people in reddit like to claim. Because there's that one big post talking about softban SM tests.

But I managed to recreate a softban yesterday by just memory editing myself items in Majula. So until Namdai says anything it's best to just play the game normally.

And yeah, bans are bound to your steam account. You can still use the family sharing to play unbanned on a different account though.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I wish I didn't love this game, because I'm pretty furious over being softbanned for nothing. How incompetent can FROM be?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Count Bleck posted:

YO TALLGEESE.

Is it possible to use cheat engines to revert your death count to 0? I really, really want that ring. I mean I could probably cheatieface it in but gently caress that, that would make sense.

Yeah, you can edit the death count. Better to just drop yourself the ring though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I assume Namco Community Manager J. Kartje is talking about soft bans with this tweet:

quote:

Yes, Dark Souls II players are actively being banned by the server team for hacked items, saves, etc.

So, uh, at least as far as Namco's concerned, softbans/bans in general are real.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I assume Namco Community Manager J. Kartje is talking about soft bans with this tweet:

So, uh, at least as far as Namco's concerned, softbans/bans in general are real.

This makes me wonder what they can and can't detect - like, if I drop myself a monastery scimitar without farming for it, can they tell? Can they tell if I drop myself 99 titanite chunks? Tallgeese, do you know?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Never in the history of anything related to video games have community managers actually been in the loop, so that you know.

As Genocyber likes to remind us, Namco Bandai had no idea how Soul Memory worked when asked, instead choosing to give completely wrong information.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Never in the history of anything related to video games have community managers actually been in the loop, so that you know.

As Genocyber likes to remind us, Namco Bandai had no idea how Soul Memory worked when asked, instead choosing to give completely wrong information.

So... at best, that Bamco community manager quote is misleading? It seems like the softbanning is real, but I'd be interested to know what specifically they do and don't softban for (kinda looks like the answer is "any or no reason at all").

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

That's all true, but on the other hand, I still knowing Namco's stance on this is worth it, even if turns out they're clueless.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Of course, I'm just saying that at best they are being given secondhand information.

Remember that this is the same fellow who wrote the words "VAC will be temporarily disabled", emphasis on temporarily, 4 months ago. Never mind that the reality is VAC didn't ban anyone for cheating, and was really never actually on.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pretty sure they hit the same spots every time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I usually dash up to him them stand at his weapon's length from me or closer and roll left and right. I don't know I just seem to always get set on fire no matter where I am.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

For those who are :sperg: about the lore like me, a guy on Reddit went over the Japanese script and noted some differences with the English one. Apparently some details that are present in the Japanese that either help elucidate some things or simply add more information (the Mad Knight of Alken apparently was named Adgars) are absent in the English script, and on top of that the English script also makes some changes and additions of its own.

I can't read Japanese so I can't vouch for the post accuracy, and it's worth noting that the original Dark Souls' English script was a result of a close collaboration between Miyazaki and the localization team at Frognation, so I can imagine at least some of the changes were actually approved by From Software (the English script is, after all, the basis for the voice acting in the Japanese version too), but it's still an interesting read.

P.S. : Genocyber thinks Borderlands 2 is well-written? Oh god.

Interesting stuff, particularly the detail about Alonne's Sword.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Interesting stuff, particularly the detail about Alonne's Sword.

Another is in the descriptions for the lord souls and crown of the old iron king. In the Japanese they refer to the soul and the thing the king meant as :the forbidden" while the English text says "ineffable" for the former and "nameless" for the latter, which suggests they're referring to different things. So the thing the king meant was just the soul of gwyn.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ineffable means the same thing as "not to be named".

Like, "the ineffable name of God". It's not supposed to be said.

There's no difference. It's quibbling over the use of a synonym.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao "People are being actively banned" I spent hours yesterday invading in low-level areas with hacked soul memory chucking infinite corrosive urns at people and running away from them in box/jar form. What a loving joke.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

lmao "People are being actively banned" I spent hours yesterday invading in low-level areas with hacked soul memory chucking infinite corrosive urns at people and running away from them in box/jar form. What a loving joke.

He said people are being banned. Not that they're banning the right people. :rimshot:

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Bobnumerotres posted:

This is definitely the worst way to do it. Random enforcement for seemingly minor infractions while the most active "cheaters" get off scot-free.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Schwack posted:

This is definitely the worst way to do it. Random enforcement for seemingly minor infractions while the most active "cheaters" get off scot-free.

There's also the fact that you can easily get around it just by using steam family share.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Genocyber posted:

There's also the fact that you can easily get around it just by using steam family share.

I forget, is it possible for the developer to ban specific Steam keys without the use of real VAC? Somehow I doubt it.

If that's the case, they are screwed.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 11, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is everyone here genuinely expecting that they'd just say "Nope, we don't ban anyone anywhere for cheating, go bananas"?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Actually, if I recall one of the Japanese developers said basically that before the release, commenting that they were hoping people would just not do it.

So... they may as well have!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So I just got the game and I see that I can't bind any of my extra mousebuttons. What mods do I have to download this time?

I couldnt see any info about that in the op

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Is everyone here genuinely expecting that they'd just say "Nope, we don't ban anyone anywhere for cheating, go bananas"?

Since that's what they did for Dark Souls, yes. That would also be better than how they're currently doing things.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Zzulu posted:

So I just got the game and I see that I can't bind any of my extra mousebuttons. What mods do I have to download this time?

You can use an AutoHotKey script. The one in the link is already set up to only run in DS2's window etc, you can reconfigure it to whatever specific binds you want.

Probably best to do this anyway if you're going to use a mouse, since the ingame option to turn off the mouse input delay that was implemented to support double-clicking seems to be broken. An AHK script that binds your mouse buttons to keyboard keys has no such issues.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Alright, thanks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

This doesn't answer your question, but it's an important issue to be aware of: if you're using KB+M then be sure not to bind anything timing-sensitive to the mouse buttons, like say attacking (which is the default binding). Mouse button input has significant lag because you can bind actions to double-clicks, and the game has no way to know whether you clicked once because you want to do the single-click action or you're about to click a second time to trigger the double-click action.

You can turn off double click detection in the game options, but the option is bugged so you have to switch it off every time you start the game. Better to just rebind all four of the attack actions to keyboard buttons.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I've got a crazy mouse that does button profiles for active games, so I have attacks bound to keyboard buttons bound to my mouse buttons when Dark Souls 2 pops up. KB+M supremacy.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

El Golden Goose posted:

This makes me wonder what they can and can't detect - like, if I drop myself a monastery scimitar without farming for it, can they tell? Can they tell if I drop myself 99 titanite chunks? Tallgeese, do you know?

I did unintentional testing on this yesterday.

I dropped myself about 6 different wereables and weapons. Then changed my life gems quantity to 99, dropped 99 to get 99 effigies. Did the same to give myself 99 red orbs.

Went to Heide, couldn't get an invasion at all (SL100). Played the game until the bridge, only 1 dragon sign there and I kept invading the same two people. One was level +800 because my Smelter Hammer backstab was doing 700 damage.

It was pretty inmediate and there was no SM altering since I leveled up by dropping Old King Souls.

This was the first time since release I use CE. Never used metacap or did any sort of save file backup, editing or anything.

Logic tells me they see your inventory data, and can somehow check if the item was legit. But then again, they might just have certain pointers, like bonfires visited and items only obtainable once you've gone through some parts of the game. I wouldn't pretend to know. So there might be ways around it, however, I wouldn't toy with anything as it stands, unless you guys have family sharing and are comfortable with that.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elgIAJBw_qU

I know the editing here isn't the most amazing but being a huge P4 fan I have to enjoy this and the parries are pretty drat :allears:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I find it a bit unfair that they lumped me in with all the hackers. I pretty much alt-f4'd anytime I ran into a hacker much like Dark Souls 1. It'd been nice to know beforehand that I'd be penalized so harshly for it.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Dog posted:

Did you restore a backed up save? because that counts as "cheating" apparently

Yup. My xbox lost all my save data due to a power outage, luckily I had a backup from a couple weeks previous. So now I'm banned and can basically never play online again. Based on the DS2 subreddit, it looks like a huge wave of soft bans rolled out yesterday, many of them false positives.

e: or it could be because I invaded a few people tuesday, and got a few hate messages of "loving hacker!!!11".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
A phantom once dropped me a +10 poison moon butterfly shield. Is this a legit item or am i gonna get hit with the ban hammer?