Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Mike Mearls, 22nd July posted:

As our dauntless graphic designers and our fearless editorial team continue to polish the book, we've run into a very serious issue. Like I expect many players do, we all imagine the Monster Manual as a crate full of angry, nasty creatures. That crate is already very large and very full. A mind flayer's tentacles are bulging out along the seams, and everything inside is demanding that the troglodyte be forced to wear cologne.

Unfortunately, there are still monsters we need to squeeze into that crate. But no matter how much we jump on top of it, creatures just keep spilling out.

We've talked at length about what to do. Could we cut down on the story material for each creature? That would be a mistake, especially since feedback has made it clear that people want a book that's fun to read. Do we cull some stat blocks? We're not crazy about cutting back on the options available for creatures like orcs and dragons. Maybe we could cut a few entries? But reducing the variety of creatures seems like a bad idea.

So in looking at our options, we decided the only sensible response to too many monsters is to get a bigger crate. The Monster Manual is now 32 pages longer than it was originally, to accommodate all the awesome creatures we want to fit into it. As a consequence of that increase in page count, the price of the book will be increased . . . by nothing. It's staying put. That's 10 percent more content for a 0 percent premium.

:frogsiren: Anyway, I'm thinking of running a roll20/mumble 5e game - either Hoard of the Dragon Queen or my own thing depending on when I can get a Monster Manual. Would any of you be interested in playing? :frogsiren:

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Why is the commoner +2 to hit? If the lovely commoner is +2 to hit, what does that make the level 1 fighter? He's even shittier with the same stats? I don't even know.
I picked up on that the first time I created characters in the playtest and found that Tom Shitfarmer, Level 0 Commoner, had a better chance of hitting an enemy than most of the party. Don't remember that being part of the precious tummyfeels of previous editions.

I also remember in that packet that kobolds had +4 to hit despite their crap stats, with absolutely no explanation why. That resulted in a TPK in the very first area of the Caves of Chaos (and I wasn't even using the Pack Tactics bonuses). I guess the math team hadn't fired up their mangle wringer at that point.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jack the Lad posted:

:frogsiren: Anyway, I'm thinking of running a roll20/mumble 5e game - either Hoard of the Dragon Queen or my own thing depending on when I can get a Monster Manual. Would any of you be interested in playing? :frogsiren:

I will take the ring to mumble.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Add a sanity/perils of the warp mechanic for casters, which introduces random apeshit splatterdeath charts, which improve any game ever.

I was thinking about a 'The Gods are dead' setting that did exactly that. Without the Gods, the Prime Material plane is falling apart and magic just hastens the decay.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jack the Lad posted:

Depending on time and day I'd be interested - I am based in the UK though.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Funny enough, carrying around a bunch of different weapons also had a purpose in BECMI, where some weapons had alternate bonuses that weren't immediately cancelled out (like bola entangling or slowing dudes) and fighters had enough "weapon specialization" points to go down more then one weapon, so you could upgrade your bolas to strangle dudes while still choppin' dudes up with your awesome axe skills.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Jack the Lad posted:

gently caress hoard of the dragon queen.

gently caress kobolds.

A meatgrinder for level one characters is all that first chapter is.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Angrymog posted:

Depending on time and day I'd be interested - I am based in the UK though.

I too am UK.

Cassa posted:

gently caress hoard of the dragon queen.

gently caress kobolds.

A meatgrinder for level one characters is all that first chapter is.

If I do HotDQ I won't run it straight outta the book.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 11, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kai Tave posted:

Even in 4E though the big list of weapons was mostly wasted space. Show of hands, who ever used a katar? Or a broadsword? Some weapons you could get some utility out of if you went with a weird edge case build...like combining the Avenger feat that turned any weapon damage die result that came up a 1 or a 2 into a 3 with the 2d4 damage falchion, even though you'd almost always want something like an executioner axe or a fullblade anyway...but for the most part it would have been a lot more useful and space-efficient to simply cut the weapon list down to the weapon everybody actually picked and used and chuck the rest.
I gave all of my warlords the khopesh, fantastic weapon

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Jackard posted:

I gave all of my warlords the khopesh, fantastic weapon

Greatspears 4ever.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
So did anyone get their Faction kit this week? I forgot which group was which and I went with Order of the Gauntlet. Perhaps not the most thematic choice for a half-orc fighter, but I'm sure I can figure out an in-character justification for it.

The special certificate I got let me cast Bless for free, once. What did you all get?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

Newfie here, would be down if the day/time lined up right.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NachtSieger posted:

Greatspears 4ever.
Greatspears are the top warlord weapon, period. And I love that spears had a point.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Greatspears are the top warlord weapon, period. And I love that spears had a point.

That's how they're used to kill people, though. (:haw:)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Grimpond posted:

the bones are willing but the flesh is weak

http://www.dorkly.com/post/67280/video-games-from-the-skeletons-point-of-view

We're all just skeletons waiting to happen.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Jack the Lad posted:

that sounds like a lot of fun, I'd be willing to join. US based here.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

NachtSieger posted:

Greatspears 4ever.
Was that option available from the start? I don't remember it at all.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Jackard posted:

Was that option available from the start? I don't remember it at all.

They were a superior weapon, so they took a feat but they were pretty worth it for support characters or anyone who fancied polearm momentum shenanigans. From the first AV if I remember right.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Kai Tave posted:

There were even some 4E Fighter powers explicitly set up to let you do things like sheathe and draw a new weapon after attacking, with various riders depending on the sort of weapon you used to attack with.

Even in 4E though the big list of weapons was mostly wasted space. Show of hands, who ever used a katar? Or a broadsword? Some weapons you could get some utility out of if you went with a weird edge case build...like combining the Avenger feat that turned any weapon damage die result that came up a 1 or a 2 into a 3 with the 2d4 damage falchion, even though you'd almost always want something like an executioner axe or a fullblade anyway...but for the most part it would have been a lot more useful and space-efficient to simply cut the weapon list down to the weapon everybody actually picked and used and chuck the rest.

Also no matter how many times people try to draw an equivalency between "proficient in ALL WEAPONS AND ARMOR WOW" and "casts spells" it will never, ever become true and this should be plainly obvious with about three seconds of thought.

Mordenkrad and Craghammer FOR LIFE

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I used the khopesh on my warforged pre-nerf Battlerager fighter so I could have an axe but also use Heavy Blade Opportunity.

He used that item that granteed more temp hp whenever you gave it to a living construct. Was basically indestructible. Good times.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Esser-Z posted:

I used the khopesh on my warforged pre-nerf Battlerager fighter so I could have an axe but also use Heavy Blade Opportunity.

He used that item that granteed more temp hp whenever you gave it to a living construct. Was basically indestructible. Good times.

God, pre-errata Battlerager was glorious. My DM HATED the combo of me + the surprisingly sticky melee cleric; in one round the DM did a hundred damage to me as some sort of passive-aggressive revenge, and the cleric healed it all back just to spite him.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

A Vicious Executioner's Axe was my favorite thing from 4e.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
You know how we're always saying D&D causes brain damage?

Meet the Intellect Devourer!

http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/MM_IntellectDevourer.pdf

It has 21 HP and... well.

"Devour Intellect. The intellect devourer targets one creature
it can see within 10 feet of it that has a brain. The target must
succeed on a DC 12 Intelligence saving throw against this
magic or take 11 (2d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure,
roll 3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target’s Intelligence
score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it
regains at least one point of Intelligence."

"Body Thief. The intellect devourer initiates an Intelligence
contest with an incapacitated humanoid within 5 feet of it. If
it wins the contest, the intellect devourer magically consumes
the target’s brain, teleports into the target’s skull, and takes
control of the target’s body. While inside a creature, the
intellect devourer has total cover against attacks and other
effects originating outside its host. The intellect devourer
retains its Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, as
well as its understanding of Deep Speech, its telepathy, and
its traits. It otherwise adopts the target’s statistics. It knows
everything the creature knew, including spells and languages.
If the host body drops to 0 hit points, the intellect devourer
must leave it. A protection from evil and good spell cast on the
body drives the intellect devourer out. The intellect devourer
is also forced out if the target regains its devoured brain by
means of a wish. By spending 5 feet of its movement, the
intellect devourer can voluntarily leave the body, teleporting to
the nearest unoccupied space within 5 feet of it. The body then
dies, unless its brain is restored within 1 round."

loving CR2, but the spells that fix its bullshit anti-INT-dumped fighter powers are 7th and 9th level. Better hope they don't catch you sleeping!

gently caress you devs. gently caress you sideways with a glaive-glaive-guisarme-glaive.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gently caress Melee, the monster.

So how much hate is there for the new Save system? Because boy is it terrible.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know that the obvious answer is "because 4e", but did WotC give a specific reason for going with six saves instead of a sane, unified attack resolution mechanic?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rigged Death Trap posted:

gently caress Melee, the monster.

So how much hate is there for the new Save system? Because boy is it terrible.

Actually it's gently caress anything with really low Int the Monster.

What is your problem with the new save system.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Crotch posted:

I know that the obvious answer is "because 4e", but did WotC give a specific reason for going with six saves instead of a sane, unified attack resolution mechanic?

Because it felt good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's way too spread out and makes no sense and everyone is going to die horribly to at least one part of it.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

MonsterEnvy posted:

How did you type those two things together and not understand the answer to your own question?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually, it's gently caress anything with really low Int that is also within 10ft of it, the Monster. I don't think anyone here needs to extrapolate for you why things that need to get within 10ft of it to kill it also probably have low Int.

As for the save system, probably because it teeters the line of being exactly acceptable and a 6-way convoluted game of 'counter the statistic.' I don't have the opinion that it is terrible, but it sure could be better with minimal effort.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

What ways do the PCs have to regain points in stats, especially while stunned?

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

ahahaha the Intellect Devourer also has resistance to physical damage. What garbage.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cbirdsong posted:

What ways do the PCs have to regain points in stats, especially while stunned?

Going by the grog-right tummyfeels D&D consistency option, the cleric deigning to cast restoration on them.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

I can't wait to go through the Monster Manual and see how many enemies actually have physical damage vulnerabilities.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

thespaceinvader posted:

loving CR2, but the spells that fix its bullshit anti-INT-dumped fighter powers are 7th and 9th level. Better hope they don't catch you sleeping!

gently caress you devs. gently caress you sideways with a glaive-glaive-guisarme-glaive.

I now need a creature that is perfectly magic resistant, which turns anyone outside of a 15' radius to stone, unless they make a DC 12 Strength check to break free from the layering stone coating. Doesn't happen within the 15' area immediately around the creature. A DC 30 Strength Check will free a stone-clad character, if performed within one round. The stone is anti-magic, and cannot be resolved with Wish, or with Restoration.

C'mon. Three Pillars, here.

(gently caress Caster Supremacy, gently caress ability score saves, gently caress alignment. No Gods, No Masters. Play OctaNe.)

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
What exactly is an Intelligence Contest?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Super Waffle posted:

...So many one-liners that I'm not using right now.

branar
Jun 28, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Between this and the monsters in Hoard of the Dragon Queen, I've basically just come to grips with the fact that if I want to run 5E, and I want combat to be fun for the PCs, I'll have to build most monsters from scratch.

From what I can tell there are 3 types of monsters:

1) Monsters with mechanics like this one that are simply unfun. (E.g. it's not clear to me what the hell the 3d6 roll is all about. For starters, it massively penalizes a low int character - on average, 10 int fighters mostly get their brains sucked out, while 20int wizards are literally immune. Secondly, wtf, we get an entirely new mechanic - roll 3d6 and compare to a stat - in a game that references nearly everything else based on the PHB spell list? Like if I told my players about that without showing them the rules, they'd think I was making rules up on the fly.) Stone Golem is another good example of a monster in this category.

2) Monsters that are simply mechanically un-interesting. This includes both a surprising number of monsters that actually don't really have any special features at all, or have features that just don't make a difference to the way your players will actually engage the monsters in question. (For example, orcs have "aggressive", which lets them take a bonus action to move towards a PC. Ignoring the fact that this mechanic is most effectively used to allow you to disengage from an opponent and run away, the exact opposite of the trait it's intended to evoke, it basically changes how quickly they close with you at the start of combat, and that's it.)

3) Monsters that are well thought out, with powers that encourage a dynamic, shifting battlefield and interesting tactical pla-ahahahaha just kidding 5E doesn't contain any of these.

Okay, that's an exaggeration, there are a few good monsters designs. Lair Actions and Legendary Actions especially are a good way of incorporating some of the good 4E monster innovations into 5E's rather constrained action economy. But they're absolutely the exceptions and not the rule, and not every encounter is fighting a dragon in its lair.

I get that 5E's ruleset writ large isn't for everyone. But seriously, who is the audience for these monsters? Most of the monsters you fight are nearly indistinguishable sacks of HP + damage expression. The rest have bullshit mechanics that pretty much guarantees an un-fun encounter for somebody involved. Are there really people out there who look at the monsters they've been releasing and think that this represents a step forward in monster design?

branar fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 11, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Opposed intelligence rolls.

On one hand that's terrible on the other hand. I wanna play one real bad.

Edit: I didn't refresh
Second part is in reference to Int devourer

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Super Waffle posted:

It's the natural language for "did you roll a wizard?"