Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chris Remo posted:

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, but just in case it isn't:
I'm sorry, it was a joke! I didn't mean for you to have to type all that Mr. Remo, it was sarcastic because some dumb people might actually believe something like that :(

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jippa posted:

IT are excellent at keeping the ads professional but not annoying. Like has been mentioned we all listen to loads of the same podcasts which have a limited set of companies behind them so we get over exposed. Even so I'd say all the podcasts keep it fresh and actually put some effort in so they aren't repetitive.

I actually prefer ads to be straight copy, preferably with a music bed so that I know hey they're selling a product to me right now. I've found in podcasts that sometimes when they get new conversational about it the ads can become interminable and I'm just skipping forward just so I can get back to non commerce related conversations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Al! posted:

I actually prefer ads to be straight copy, preferably with a music bed so that I know hey they're selling a product to me right now. I've found in podcasts that sometimes when they get new conversational about it the ads can become interminable and I'm just skipping forward just so I can get back to non commerce related conversations.

I have no real knowledge of advertising but I'm guessing they sussed this out pretty quickly. I'm sure back in the day ads were just an mp3 at the start that every one skipped. You can't really blame the ad people for trying too make it so some people heard it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm sorry, it was a joke! I didn't mean for you to have to type all that Mr. Remo, it was sarcastic because some dumb people might actually believe something like that :(

I think podcast advertising should be a fun activity for all. Good bye. :)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Al! posted:

I think it can either be this, or both conversational, and also clearly marked. I hate listening to ads, but not all ad integration is equal. This thread is very pro Idle Thumbs, and honestly, they're just good at doing ads that don't sound all that shilly, and it's generally pretty easy for my brain to tell when an ad is happening, but no so much that I reach for that 15 second skip button. So there does have to be some finesse in there, a speed bump instead of a wall.

There's always going to be pressure from companies or affiliates to make ads sound more "native," and make them blend in, make it appear as much as possible that the product is willingly supported by the content producer. There's always going to be a certain amount of tension between the listener, the podcaster, and the sponsor, with the podcaster in the middle. Everyone has to put up with not getting 100% of their way, and that's probably how sponsorship has always worked.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not a fan of ads for obvious reasons but when they need to be there I prefer they be droning and sad like Gary reading Audible copy. I feel a sort of idiot kinship with him for sounding as miserable reading an ad as I am hearing it.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I am pretty good at turning off my brain when listening to ad copy and don't have the spare cash to pay for podcasts so the way things are perfectly suits me. I am the leechous scum

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

I have no real knowledge of advertising but I'm guessing they sussed this out pretty quickly. I'm sure back in the day ads were just an mp3 at the start that every one skipped. You can't really blame the ad people for trying too make it so some people heard it.

Oh I'm not mad at the admen or the podcaster trying to make money off of me, I just wish it was I guess more awful and shilly?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So I just started listening to the latest Idle Thumbs, and goddamn if it doesn't bum me out hearing Danielle just casually go all "oh yeah it was a nice vacation other than that twitter harassment I got and reddit trying to open my bank account." It's like the dumb GamerGate poo poo is explicitly targeting the nicest, coolest people on the internet (and Phil Fish).

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

doctorfrog posted:

Then you have the Ice-T podcast, where he straight up just reads a script, which takes forever. (If I were fifteen years younger, I'd probably love Loot Crate.) Yet, I don't mind that much, because I don't expect as much from his podcast. His caché as Ice-T packs enough novelty to overcome the objection.

On a related note I just listened to the free Ice-T narrated Drizzt Do'Urden book on Audible.com and it is a magical experience. Dude pronounces the W in Swords and you better believe every other sentence has a sword mentioned. Get it the next time you're supporting your favorite 'casts affiliate program (I've discovered recently if you take a break between them, you can keep getting free trials of Audible. I think I'm up to like 4 full-size audiobooks on my audible account for free)

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The most recent episode of Isometric has a very pointed conversation about Gamergate from the perspective of women in the industry. I recommend it.

http://5by5.tv/isometric/18

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Best ads on a podcast are read by Scott Aukerman on Comedy Bang Bang.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
skip cameron aka the choctaw aka hot saucerman

p okay at ads

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

augustus gluten posted:

This is 100% true. The only way to make ads acceptable.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

skip cameron aka the choctaw aka hot saucerman

p okay at ads

I love the Brat Sausageman approach to ad copy.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

augustus gluten posted:

I guess this is more of what I mean, his ad reads are great, for ad reads.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

ImPureAwesome posted:

I am pretty good at turning off my brain when listening to ad copy

Literally everyone believes this about themselves and has since mass-marketing became a thing.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

moller posted:

Literally everyone believes this about themselves and has since mass-marketing became a thing.

I dunno I've heard the same ad copies so much it's just white noise at this point and I'm no closer to buying anything. I'm sure there is data supporting you though

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I didn't really pay attention to the Thumbs ads, but I wanted a dumb domain a couple of weeks ago and thought of the Hover company they were pitching and went with that. It was zero fuss and it worked, so thanks Thumbs! I had to go back and listen to the backlog to find an episode where they sponsored so I could get the code though, I couldn't find it posted it anywhere.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Scorchy posted:

I didn't really pay attention to the Thumbs ads, but I wanted a dumb domain a couple of weeks ago and thought of the Hover company they were pitching and went with that. It was zero fuss and it worked, so thanks Thumbs! I had to go back and listen to the backlog to find an episode where they sponsored so I could get the code though, I couldn't find it posted it anywhere.

WRONG. you should have registered it with Squarespace.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

I've only got up to him recording and saving his own sleep farts but yeah, it's more Dan-is-a-nightmare-cast this week.

I was fist pumping in the car whenever Dan said poo poo this ep. Pure gold.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
So the GamerGaters launched their ~real game journalism~ site, goodgamers.us and true to form their first review is internet furry rape simulator Corruption of Champions.

This is basically the best possible outcome. http://www.donotlink.com/blji

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lizzyinthesky posted:

So the GamerGaters launched their ~real game journalism~ site, goodgamers.us and true to form their first review is internet furry rape simulator Corruption of Champions.

I'm guessing their second review will be Rapelay.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

lizzyinthesky posted:

Well they're off to a great start with a review that throws the word rape around like it's just some boring old gameplay mechanic. Finally a site for ~real gamers~. Is there a betting pool yet for how long it'll take these guys to get tired of running a site and pretending to be journalists?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

augustus gluten posted:

If you're talking about reading any ad, sure, but nothing can stand up to the MBMBAM Extreme Restraints ads.

Those were amazing.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Scorchy posted:

You could have just started typing in random Thumbs words ("BABOO" "LORD" "BRECKON" "PUFFIN") until something worked. I don't think you'd have to guess too many times to find something.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

VDay posted:

Well they're off to a great start with a review that throws the word rape around like it's just some boring old gameplay mechanic. Finally a site for ~real gamers~. Is there a betting pool yet for how long it'll take these guys to get tired of running a site and pretending to be journalists?

I'm kind of looking forward to then listing every person they've ever met and what activities they've done with them and how many times as a disclaimer before every "review", since that seems to be their idea of proper "journalistic integrity" and disclosure.

I wonder how many of the gamergaters have read a single word about actual journalistic ethics, cause pretty much everything I've seen seems to be "this is how I think poo poo should be based on my complete inexperience and lack of knowledge on the topic of journalism. Allow me to demonstrate that with more pointless words:"

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

VDay posted:

To be fair after playing like 10 minutes of CoC, you will learn that rape is in fact a boring old gameplay mechanic.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

lizzyinthesky posted:

That is a loving terrible review. Not just in that it doesn't review the game so much as list stuff that is in it, it's also just written really badly, like all that poo poo that Danielle was saying they're explicitly barred from doing writing for Polygon.

e: Not technically a gaming podcast, but I do still like The Comedy Button's Tweaked Audio ad with Altano being Doctor Dre (not that one) and then having a massive heavy burtation at the end of it.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 12, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

GoodGamers posted:

2. This site will be (mostly) free of political ideologies
While we do have a section where our writers submit editorials, they will never be featured on the main page, and they will always be reviewed by at least four peer editors.

This is ludicrous. The whole site, that review... I couldn't make this poo poo up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
LOL the Watch_dogs review on that site is hardly a prime example of "objective" game reviews, if that was what they were going for.

Alternatively, their news section is so dry and is 95% made up of lists of facts, I guess. I haven't read kotaku and friends in a long time so who knows if that's what people are or aren't doing these days.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

A classic lesson in paragraph placement:

quote:

Small warning, if you’re getting mugged in real life, pulling down your pants and helicoptering your dick at your assailant is not a good idea. The combat is fairly decent but don’t expect Final Fantasy.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

After reading some of their poo poo, I'm wondering if it's written by some people who are fine with the current state of video game journalism and are just trying to make the hysterical whiners look worse than they already do.

Then again, I've been on the Internet for long enough to know that it is entirely possible for people to lack the self awareness the creators of that site obviously do. A classic Poe dilemma.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

After reading some of their poo poo, I'm wondering if it's written by some people who are fine with the current state of video game journalism and are just trying to make the hysterical whiners look worse than they already do.
Nope, they're the dudes that think video game reviewers literally spend all day playing video games and that reviews are invalid if you didn't get all 1000 cheevos.

e:

quote:

If you get easily offended by various fetishes, like sex with very questionable and probably non-existent consent, then going any further is a bad idea.
Rape: A fetish, like feet or BDSM, that's all.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 12, 2014

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
gamersgaterbio.jpeg

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

augustus gluten posted:

To be honest at this point its either got to be him or Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

To be honest at this point its either got to be him or Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I subscribed to Dollar Shave Club because of Stone Cold's show, and it's a legitimately awesome service, so one point for Steve.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Samopsa posted:

gamersgaterbio.jpeg

"I consume media at a voracious rate" = virgin alert

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I like how that short lists of words immediately conveys the 'manchild with access to lethal military hardware' descriptor for that person. How can someone who works for the world's largest military force define himself by his following of a children's cartoon about magical ponies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
And the winner of the "I don't realize that I'm going to need to get an actual job in like 2 years because Google AdSense isn't going to support this entire staff" award goes to:

quote:

Rob L Newnham
Senior Editor at GoodGamers

Consummate PC-Masterrace (with the occasional Nintendo deviance) who spends most of his days sitting in front of a computer, either writing or gaming. Or both at once.

Is there a bigger giveaway that you don't understand how the real world works than unironically having 'PC-masterrace' in your official description? Have fun explaining to the person conducting your job interview that it's just a dumb phrase that means you like PC games and has no connection to that whole silly Nazi thing about committing genocide against entire groups of people. It's just a funny joke, get it? Yeah, that's not going to be an awkward conversation at all.

• Locked thread