Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

DrDork posted:

Monoprice is great for cheap poo poo that is hard to gently caress up--like cables (mostly, anyhow), and various other odds and ends. Not sure what prompted them to think that monitors were a good match for them, though, nor why anyone would buy one from them expecting it to match up to, well, any real name brand whatsoever. Hell, most days their monitors aren't even all that much cheaper than the much nicer ones you can get from ASUS and other companies.

I have a special relationship with monoprice, but its work related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Has 144Hz mostly replaced 120Hz monitors? I haven't looked at monitors in ages, but mine is getting old and I need an upgrade. Probably 24-26", likely 144Hz? What're some good options that aren't extortionately expensive?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Started up my computer this morning and my monitor fried, tried to get it back working but it looks like it's dead. It was an old Dell from 2006 so I guess I got some pretty solid life out of it.

I'm looking for a new Monitor, something that will last me a while in the 100-150 range, I looked at the OP but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while. Can anyone suggest a monitor for around this price that would be good for simple gaming and work?

It would also be helpful if it was something I could pick up from Staples or somewhere similar, since I'd like to replace it today. I know I could save more on NewEgg but I'd rather pay a premium so I can be on my computer again tonight.

Thanks for the help, if there is a better place for this question please let me know!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Has 144Hz mostly replaced 120Hz monitors? I haven't looked at monitors in ages, but mine is getting old and I need an upgrade. Probably 24-26", likely 144Hz? What're some good options that aren't extortionately expensive?

You should figure out if G-Sync is important to you, that's what affects prices the most.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

repiv posted:

You should figure out if G-Sync is important to you, that's what affects prices the most.
I'd never heard of G-Sync, but it certainly looks interesting. Is it worth it? Not having dropped/stale frames would be a pretty cool feature.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Elysiume posted:

I'd never heard of G-Sync, but it certainly looks interesting. Is it worth it? Not having dropped/stale frames would be a pretty cool feature.

Its too new, there is only one real option and its $800 I believe. However that is a 27" 1440p

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

1gnoirents posted:

Its too new, there is only one real option and its $800 I believe. However that is a 27" 1440p
Then...it doesn't really affect prices if there's only one option with it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

You're right, not sure where I got the idea that G-Sync monitors were widely available now.

Acer and AOC have a handful of 1080p ones available for a ~£50 premium over vanilla 144hz, but nothing from the premium brands yet :shrug:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

^ Didn't even realize there were 1080p options at all, that's cool though.

Elysiume posted:

Then...it doesn't really affect prices if there's only one option with it.

Probably meant that it will be a huge factor in price, very soon anyways. As far as its coolness it appears to be the bees knees, however then you start getting into the g sync / freesync drama.

Anyways I'm assuming you meant 1080p originally, in which case I believe BenQ are the current favorites for 144 hz in 1080p

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So I have no idea what to get as I'm paralyzed by all these options so I was hoping to get some recommendations based on my wants.

27in (1440p)
Good viewing angles
Suitable for twitch FPS gaming
Fully adjustable stand
Under $450
Led?

120hz would be really cool but TN panels just look like a step in the wrong direct technology wise to support.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Qnix with an HP stand. They can get to 120, more likely 96hz, IPS, input lag low. Downsides: possible light bleed, crappy factory stand and casing.

Its that or monoprice. Thats probably all your options strictly sticking to that budget and getting most of your wants

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
Thread-tangential, but hopefully OK question:

I'm looking for recommendations on a VESA monitor stand. I recently got a LG 34UM95 and ordered a kinda cheapass VESA mount off amazon. The mount didn't hold up at all. It's clamp was too narrow, so it was denting the soft desk material, and it was bending under the (8lbs under what it was supposed to be rated for) weight of the monitor.

I'm looking for something with a wide base w/ multiple clamps and that will easily support the ~15lb monitor. Amazon reviews about what monitors people use with VESA stands and how they perform are insanely all over the place, so hopefully rational recommendations can be had here.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

Qnix with an HP stand. They can get to 120, more likely 96hz, IPS, input lag low. Downsides: possible light bleed, crappy factory stand and casing.

Its that or monoprice. Thats probably all your options strictly sticking to that budget and getting most of your wants

What about the Asus PB278Q? It's on sale for 469 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009C3M7H0?pc_redir=1410292927&robot_redir=1

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 10, 2014

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
The PB278Q does not have the low input lag as the QNIX (or other single-input Korean imports); it's input lag is around ~16ms/~1 frame which may or may not be noticeable for twitch shooters. It also uses some fairly low frequency PWM which can be harmful to people susceptible to that kind of thing. A couple of reviews here: AnandTech, Prad.de English, TFTCentral, and we Crave Games/NCX.

Just some things to consider.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

GrizzlyCow posted:

While true, it's also generally the cheapest way to get a quality 1440p 27" IPS with a warranty that actually means something.

1gnoirents posted:

If you debezel it to fix the stand issue (which you really should) you will also generally fix any backlight bleeding, leaving only the possibility of noticeable bad pixels as a real concern.

Honestly, considering how many people want to buy these things, I'm kinda surprised no enterprising goon has taken to SAMart offering to buy, debezel, paint, and resell these things, packaged with one of those $20 HP stands. I think people would jump at one.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Where is the best place to buy one of the $20 HP stands (the 22" inch extended ones)? I can't really find them anywhere

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

GrizzlyCow posted:

The PB278Q does not have the low input lag as the QNIX (or other single-input Korean imports); it's input lag is around ~16ms/~1 frame which may or may not be noticeable for twitch shooters. It also uses some fairly low frequency PWM which can be harmful to people susceptible to that kind of thing. A couple of reviews here: AnandTech, Prad.de English, TFTCentral, and we Crave Games/NCX.

Thanks for the info, I currently am using a Samsung 2333SW, and since I'm learning none of the numbers on the box are real, how would it compare to that in terms of lag?

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 11, 2014

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

Where is the best place to buy one of the $20 HP stands (the 22" inch extended ones)? I can't really find them anywhere

Yea I was curious and looking the other day, and couldn't find any either.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DrDork posted:

While true, it's also generally the cheapest way to get a quality 1440p 27" IPS with a warranty that actually means something.

If you debezel it to fix the stand issue (which you really should) you will also generally fix any backlight bleeding, leaving only the possibility of noticeable bad pixels as a real concern.

Honestly, considering how many people want to buy these things, I'm kinda surprised no enterprising goon has taken to SAMart offering to buy, debezel, paint, and resell these things, packaged with one of those $20 HP stands. I think people would jump at one.

Capital is what's stopping me to be honest.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

It's not a bad idea. But it would be pinching pennies to make it worthwhile, that would be more or less a kindness of the heart activity with some beer money. Which is fine lol.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
So you know how Intel said "We wanna make $400 4K monitors"?

They're 24" 60 Hz IPS panels. :circlefap:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

So you know how Intel said "We wanna make $400 4K monitors"?

They're 24" 60 Hz IPS panels. :circlefap:
27" or die. :colbert:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Anybody hear anything terrible about the AOC i2757fh? Is 1080 at 27in terrible?

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 11, 2014

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

ColHannibal posted:

Anybody hear anything terrible about the AOC i2757fh? Is 1080 at 27in terrible?

1080 at 27" on my Asus VG278H isn't so bad. It even has pretty sweet color reproduction for a gaming monitor. No idea on the one you want.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why would you want such a high DPI on a such a small monitor?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I don't prefer 24's anymore but it will probably look nuts. It's like a 1440p phone, you can keep getting closer and closer and its still just whooaaa

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I have been using a 4k AOC TN monitor for about 3 weeks now and it is a lot better than I expected it to be.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Tab8715 posted:

Why would you want such a high DPI on a such a small monitor?

I don't get it either for Windows machines. 24"? Give me 42" instead.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

fookolt posted:

I don't get it either for Windows machines. 24"? Give me 42" instead.

Yeah, I'm firmly of the camp that I don't care about increased DPI at a desktop viewing distance, I'd rather use those pixels to give me physical size as well as logical. 100-108 DPI is about bang on.

Give me 3840×2400 42".

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

HalloKitty posted:

Give me 3840×2400 42".
Has there been anything out with this resolution? I think 16:10 died this generation.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Josh Lyman posted:

Still physically smaller than my 30'' :frogout:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

butt dickus posted:

Has there been anything out with this resolution? I think 16:10 died this generation.

Only the ancient IBM T221, and yeah, only 16:9 or wider is what's out now. Just coming up with a fantasy monitor more than anything.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

ColHannibal posted:

Thanks for the info, I currently am using a Samsung 2333SW, and since I'm learning none of the numbers on the box are real, how would it compare to that in terms of lag?

I don't think that particular monitor has any major reviews, so I wouldn't know. Sorry that I can't be of much help beyond that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

butt dickus posted:

16:10 never forget :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

You want 5K at that size :colbert:

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

If I were to hook up a PS4 to a 2560x1440 display, is it going to look lovely because it won't be displaying at the screen's native resolution?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

If I were to hook up a PS4 to a 2560x1440 display, is it going to look lovely because it won't be displaying at the screen's native resolution?

It would look slightly blurred, but perfectly usable. If you tell the PS4 to run at 720p it'd actually look sharp and you'd get higher framerates.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

It would look slightly blurred, but perfectly usable. If you tell the PS4 to run at 720p it'd actually look sharp and you'd get higher framerates.

Sure, you'd be getting an exact number of pixels per pixel, but are you honestly saying that if you have a 2560×1440 monitor, you'd rather watch a 1280×720 video rip instead of a 1920×1080 video rip? We don't live in a world that only has nearest neighbour resizing.

I'd be surprised if it increased the framerate, I'd imagine the games are designed to run at a specific resolution, then a scaler handles the rest after the rendering is done, but I could be wrong, and I'd like to know a bit more on that point, really.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 13, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For someone like me that's cheap and wants more space than his old 1920x1200 display, are 2560x1080 screens the best deal as far as pixels for the price? (Other than 1440p eBay brands that is). Costco has the 25" LG for $250, particularly tempting if/when they discount it further like they've done in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

HalloKitty posted:

Sure, you'd be getting an exact number of pixels per pixel, but are you honestly saying that if you have a 2560×1440 monitor, you'd rather watch a 1280×720 video rip instead of a 1920×1080 video rip? We don't live in a world that only has nearest neighbour resizing.

I'd be surprised if it increased the framerate, I'd imagine the games are designed to run at a specific resolution, then a scaler handles the rest after the rendering is done, but I could be wrong, and I'd like to know a bit more on that point, really.

Gran Turismo 6 had less stuttering issues and better framerate at 720p compared to 1080, if I remember correctly.