Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I also think murder of innocents and beginning unjustified wars is hilarious.

somethingawful.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

archaeo posted:

No, but I am pretty convinced that you are one of the most hilarious posters in a hilarious thread!

Game recognize game.

If Poroshenko's calling for a defensive line to contain the separatists within the Donetsk/Luhansk region, is that it for major offensives at the moment? It's basically conceding defeat in those areas but so long as Russia's willing to roll in whenever Ukrainian forces get too close to the border they're not really winnable anyway. I guess the greater concern is keeping the "rebellion" from spreading to places like Kharkiv and the rest of the coast.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I think the defensive line was for the entire border with Russia. I imagine it's also going to take longer than just a few months to build, so probably won't much with the separatists.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pimpmust posted:

How possible would it be for Ukraine to "tap" into the existing pipeline to Poland? I mean, what's stopping them? Can't remember if there's a seperate pipeline to Poland that avoids Ukraine entirely, but from the sound of some articles that doesn't seem to be the case, or...?

I'm pretty sure that would be akin to raiding international shipping, except without the ships and the shooting and the screaming. OK, might be a bad analogy, but you get the point. It wouldn't just anger Russia, it would harm any future deals Ukraine might make with other countries. And anyway, it wouldn't be Russian gas they'd be taking. If it's passing through the pipeline, someone bought it. Whose gas would they take? German?

e: There's a pipeline going through Poland.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, also notice on what part of Ukraine that a portion of Blue Stream/South Stream goes through.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
"Brotherhood" sure seems like an appropriate name for a Russian gas pipeline through Ukraine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The Polish minister of economy claims Gazprom has assured them that tomorrow the supply of gas will be flowing in the ordered amount.

Gazprom has admitted to the reduced flow (after being silent for the duration of cuts), but says this was only in relation to recent bigger orders (which Poland did make). And also denied this had any connection to Poland sharing gas with Ukraine.

http://www.polskieradio.pl/42/3167/Artykul/1229403,PGNiG-Rosja-zmniejszyla-dostawy-gazu-o-45-proc-

Look at the pipeline directly connecting Russia to Germany via the Baltic, bypassing a bunch of EU members in the process. Now that's camaraderie, Germany!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rinkles posted:

Look at the pipeline directly connecting Russia to Germany via the Baltic, bypassing a bunch of EU members in the process. Now that's camaraderie, Germany!

Gee, what a pretty pipeline you have there. It'd be a shame if anything happened to it. I'm not saying anything will, only that it'd be a shame if you attack the joint training operations we're holding with the Ukranian navy in the black sea.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Rinkles posted:

The Polish minister of economy claims Gazprom has assured them that tomorrow the supply of gas will be flowing in the ordered amount.

Gazprom has admitted to the reduced flow (after being silent for the duration of cuts), but says this was only in relation to recent bigger orders (which Poland did make). And also denied this had any connection to Poland sharing gas with Ukraine.

http://www.polskieradio.pl/42/3167/Artykul/1229403,PGNiG-Rosja-zmniejszyla-dostawy-gazu-o-45-proc-

That new pipeline has been a big deal in Sweden, what with running so close to Gotland.

As for tapping the line I didn't think it was all that realistic but angering the EU might not have been such a big deal, if they were sending gas Ukraines way anyways. And this way they'd get to troll Russia some too. What's the worst that could happen, Russia invades Ukraine? :v:

(They totally would :ssh:)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Hambilderberglar posted:

http://antikor.com.ua/articles/13410-igorj_girkin_strelkov_najden_mertvym_v_rossii
According to these guys Igor Strelkov has been found dead in Russia. I can't find anything anywhere else confirming this and I have no idea how reliable these guys are.
If it ends up being true I can't help but wonder if the Kremlin is now cleaning up the biggest loudmouths and anyone who might bring the fight home to Russia or be in a position to tell tales.

Remember how Ukrainians in August claimed he was critically wounded in a clash in Donetsk,and then the Russians denied it, saying he had been relieved and given a desk job in the DPR. You haven't heard a word about him since then, and I've wondered if he didn't die of his injuries and they're just now saying something.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Remember how Ukrainians in August claimed he was critically wounded in a clash in Donetsk,and then the Russians denied saying he had been relieved and given a desk job in the DPR. You haven't heard a word about him since then, and I've wondered if he didn't die of his injuries and they're just now saying something.

He was given a desk job at the Official Embassy of DPR in Jewish Autonomous Oblast.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bit of a weird demotion for such a prominent figure.

If Russia shuts off the gas to Ukraine this winter, I have to wonder if they might not throttle the gas to the rest of Europe anyway and claim Ukraine's siphoning it even if they aren't. It seems like an easy way to get the rest of Europe mad at Ukraine and it's obviously pretty hard to verify - at this point gas seems to be all the EU cares about, moreso than hundreds of citizens getting shot out of the sky.

Honestly, with the dominant role gas has played in this crisis I think we all owe the United States an apology for claiming they're oil-hungry money-grubbing imperialists, as though that were somehow not the norm.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Dolash posted:

If Russia shuts off the gas to Ukraine this winter, I have to wonder if they might not throttle the gas to the rest of Europe anyway and claim Ukraine's siphoning it even if they aren't. It seems like an easy way to get the rest of Europe mad at Ukraine and it's obviously pretty hard to verify - at this point gas seems to be all the EU cares about, moreso than hundreds of citizens getting shot out of the sky.

Honestly, with the dominant role gas has played in this crisis I think we all owe the United States an apology for claiming they're oil-hungry money-grubbing imperialists, as though that were somehow not the norm.

I was about to knee-jerk reaction and say that sounds too much like a bad super villain plot then actual foreign policy, but then I remembered everything that's happened in the last year, so who knows?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I was about to knee-jerk reaction and say that sounds too much like a bad super villain plot then actual foreign policy, but then I remembered everything that's happened in the last year, so who knows?

Why do you think EU members are begging American legislators to repeal our ban on oil exports?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dolash posted:

Has Russia resumed gas supplies to Ukraine? They cut it off in June.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Russian gas power sounds like a good reason to invest in domestic nuclear energy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

He was given a desk job at the Official Embassy of DPR in Jewish Autonomous Oblast.

Uuuugh...if anybody needs proof that Stalin was a raging anti-Semite, you need only see pictures of that place. It's amazing to me that anybody still lives there.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Russian gas power sounds like a good reason to invest in domestic nuclear energy.

Too bad Germany and others flipped out because of Fukishima and started scrapping all their nuclear energy plans.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Too bad Germany and others flipped out because of Fukishima and started scrapping all their nuclear energy plans.

Nah Germany had that whole idiot movement going on for a much longer time.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah Germany had that whole idiot movement going on for a much longer time.

It went back and forth a bit, but Fukushima finally convinced Merkel to shut everything down after all.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

El Scotch posted:

Your preaching to the choir here friend. :v:
If there is one thing D&D can mostly agree too its that nuclear power is pretty good if done well.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It went back and forth a bit, but Fukushima finally convinced Merkel to shut everything down after all.

This'll bite them in the rear end in twenty years when they want to go back and realize it's not as easy as just refuelling the reactors.

Meanwhile I wonder what Russia's gameplan is for loving with European gas supplies this 'early' in the crisis. That's been their major leverage against Europe and if they start goofing around with it now, doesn't it just risk Europe reciprocating more severely, rather than backing down?

One thing I wonder: I know that the major credit companies(Visa, etc) have some presence in Russia - and that they've already been used to leverage some banks. How bad does it get for the average Russian if those american/international companies just shut down processing completely in Russia? Is it like in America, where literally anybody with a bank account has a card for these services, or in Russia is it a minority/elite thing?

Cuntpunch fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 11, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cuntpunch posted:

This'll bite them in the rear end in twenty years when they want to go back and realize it's not as easy as just refuelling the reactors.

Meanwhile I wonder what Russia's gameplan is for loving with European gas supplies this 'early' in the crisis. That's been their major leverage against Europe and if they start goofing around with it now, doesn't it just risk Europe reciprocating more severely, rather than backing down?

One thing I wonder: I know that the major credit companies(Visa, etc) have some presence in Russia - and that they've already been used to leverage some banks. How bad does it get for the average Russian if those american/international companies just shut down processing completely in Russia?

Russia is well-known as an international funding source of anti-fracking campaigns and fracking environmental research. They aren't opposed to fracking or nuclear power generation; Russia is opposed to energy independence from Russian sources.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

Your preaching to the choir here friend. :v:
If there is one thing D&D can mostly agree too its that nuclear power is pretty good if done well.

Yeah, and even when NOT done well, it's at least containable if you have a drat shell around it. But everyone thinks every nuclear reactor is built like Chernobyl.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This needs to be brought up, because essentially this Estonian police officer is going to prison for a long time.

http://news.yahoo.com/russia-charges-estonian-policeman-espionage-134210621.html

quote:

Moscow (AFP) - An Estonian policeman detained by Russian security services has been charged with espionage in a case that has sent tensions soaring between Moscow and its small NATO-member neighbour.

Tallinn has accused Moscow of abducting Eston Kohver at gunpoint from Estonian territory. He now faces up to two decades in jail.

The arrest of the Estonian national came just days after US President Barack Obama visited the former Soviet state last week to calm the nerves of Washington's Baltic allies over the Ukraine crisis.

"Eston Kohver was charged on September 8 with espionage," his lawyer Nikolai Polozov told AFP on Thursday. "He faces up to 20 years in prison."

The controversial detention has alarmed people in the tiny country of Estonia, which was occupied by the Soviet Union for half a century before it broke free from the crumbling USSR in 1991.

Along with fellow Baltic states the nation of 1.3 million joined the EU and NATO in 2004 as a bulwark against Russian influence.

The European Union on Thursday called for "an immediate release of Mr Kohver and his safe return to Estonia," a spokesperson for the bloc's diplomatic service said in a statement.

The statement added that the EU delegation in Moscow was in contact with the Russian authorities to seek a quick solution to the "abduction" of Kohver.

Lawyer Polozov said that he had not yet been able to visit Kohver, who is being held in Moscow's Lefortovo prison, used to jail those being investigated by the FSB security services.

"I can't yet give his version of events since my colleague and I only took on the case yesterday and so far have not managed to see our client," Polozov said."He is being held in Lefortovo pre-trial detention centre. That's the FSB jail. In order to get inside, you have to get a special permit."

The FSB, the successor agency to the Soviet-era KGB, declined immediate comment on Thursday.

In a rare public statement, the FSB announced last week it had detained Kohver as he attempted to carry out intelligence gathering in northwestern Russia close to the Estonian border.

Tallinn's President Toomas Hendrik Ilves gave a different account, accusing Moscow of kidnapping its national on Estonian soil as he was investigating cross-border crime.

Estonian prosecutors said Kohver was taken at gunpoint in action-film style, veiled by a smoke grenade after the Russians jammed his communications.

Polozov told AFP that the defence team would be arguing that the charges against Kohver were unlawful because he was abducted.

"The charges of espionage are groundless and illegal since if a person is abducted, everything that is done to him afterwards is illegal," the lawyer said.

He also wrote on Twitter that his team had filed a complaint over Kohver's detention.

"I saw Kohver's case. There's a heap of 'secret' classifications so I had to sign off on state secrets," he tweeted. "Don't even ask me to tell you."

Polozov is a high-profile rights lawyer who was part of the defence team for the Pussy Riot punk band members.

- 'Unprecedented in post-Cold War era' -

The FSB has claimed that Kohver works for Estonia's security police, which oversees internal security and intelligence gathering.

The agency also said he was carrying covert recording equipment, a pistol and what appeared to be assignments for an intelligence mission, as well as 5,000 euros ($6,500).

Russian television aired FSB footage of the evidence and showed a grim-faced Kohver being led into a Moscow court by security operatives wearing black masks.

Estonian Foreign Minister Urmas Paet has complained that Moscow has failed to update Estonian authorities on the incident and diplomats have been unable to see Kohver.

Eerik-Niiles Kross, a former Estonian intelligence chief and diplomat, told AFP Kohver's arrest was unprecedented "during the entire post-Cold War era".

"In my opinion, it is not only an extraordinary event in Estonia but also much wider in the relationship between Russia and NATO."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wonder what the response would be if Estonia kidnapped a Russian border agent and claimed he was a spy too, then offered a prisoner exchange?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cuntpunch posted:

In twenty years we have all the geothermal powerplants we'll ever need. Also we can then use them to handily solve all of our problems with Russia, too: We just have to make sure all our accidentally produced earthquakes are hitting Russia instead of us. (Yes, some types of geothermal powerplants can provoke earthquakes. Still less problematic than a nuclear GAU, of course. :v:)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dolash posted:

I wonder what the response would be if Estonia kidnapped a Russian border agent and claimed he was a spy too, then offered a prisoner exchange?
"One simple trick every stable country hates."

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
To be fair Finlander does turn Putin criticism into a truly bad pantomime

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

He's needed there in case they need an insurgency/counterinsurgency expert to handle Siberian separatists.

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

:lol:

You know what, I'm ready to believe that Russian Fiscal Maths do really make it so that 13% is bigger than 15%.

You can lol if you want but 13% taxes in rubles is really more expensive than 15% in hrivna. And this only one factor that makes Makarevich rear end burning like a blast furnace. The second factor is... who do you think gave Makarevich all his business and all real estates in Crimea? $)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Young Freud posted:

He's needed there in case they need an insurgency/counterinsurgency expert to handle Siberian separatists.

Hm, those Siberian nationalists were sent to the Official Embassy of PDRU located in Kiev. Due to transit difficulties, they have been provided a ride in secure vehicles that will ensure their security from any attempted homosexual nazis attack during transit.

This current MLRS exchange? Its all a mix-up in Russian transit timetables. Apologies will be given at a service held in the seat of the Orthodox Patriarch of Greater Moscow District. Anyone wishing to receive apology and full compensation must present themselves to Patriarchy in person.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 12, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TeodorMorozov posted:

You can lol if you want but 13% taxes in rubles is really more expensive than 15% in hrivna. And this only one factor that makes Makarevich rear end burning like a blast furnace. The second factor is... who do you think gave Makarevich all his business and all real estates in Crimea? $)

Can you try writing something coherent here, ivan?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TeodorMorozov posted:

You can lol if you want but 13% taxes in rubles is really more expensive than 15% in hrivna.

How does that work? Are they using two different exchange rates between rubles and hryvnia?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This needs to be brought up, because essentially this Estonian police officer is going to prison for a long time.

Given how Savchenko "trial" has been going, there is little reason to expect justice (at best, a just outcome in
service of political expediency).

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

How does that work? Are they using two different exchange rates between rubles and hryvnia?

Either the tax value of the property has been suddenly inflated or there is some kind of highly skewed official conversion rate that overvalues the ruble relative to the hryvnia.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kopijeger posted:

Either the tax value of the property has been suddenly inflated or there is some kind of highly skewed official conversion rate that overvalues the ruble relative to the hryvnia.

A little of both, maybe? Perhaps merely accurate levying of tax on the property whereas it was mostly exempt before?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Maybe he's assuming that the bank that holds the funds he pays his taxes out of holds his currency in hryvnia and every time he pays his taxes, the bank takes a 2%+ currency conversion fee out of the transaction? But that only makes sense if he does the stupidest thing possible and never exchanges a single hryvnia into rubles until he needs it, and then just converts the exact sum he needs for that transaction.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
seems someone caught a lucky break

via https://twitter.com/ISNJH/status/510228320227975168

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Yikes. Wonder what the dud rate on those are.

Any Eastern Europeans kind enough to translate this report?
http://ria.ru/society/20140910/1023528929.html

• Locked thread