Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Drunk in Space posted:

Is there a cap on the percentage of soldier POPs you can have? I tried using my NF on a region for about a year but it wouldn't go higher than 3.5 percent. My military spending was maxed as well.

This is with POD 3.06, if it matters.

I think the cap for soldier POPs is 5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
There's no real cap on any pop as far as I'm aware, but as the % population gets higher other pops start getting less likely to switch to them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are soft caps for the effectiveness of some pops, like any clergy past X% in a state will not contribute towards education, and so on. But there are no hard caps on actual size. Also, I don't think soldiers have any of those soft caps, the more soldiers you have the more manpower you have up until your whole nation is in your army.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I've gone above 10% in vanilla but I couldn't tell you how. It was during my turn-India-German game so it probably had something to do with the fact that Europe was a great war hellscape and the army paid well.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are soft caps for the effectiveness of some pops, like any clergy past X% in a state will not contribute towards education, and so on. But there are no hard caps on actual size. Also, I don't think soldiers have any of those soft caps, the more soldiers you have the more manpower you have up until your whole nation is in your army.

Yeah, I was playing Bavaria and wanting to build up my manpower in the 1860s for the inevitable Prussia/North German Federation curbstomp I knew was coming, but I just could not seem to raise it higher than 3.5 percent, and was thus stuck with about 20 brigades. Maybe because all my lower strata were too well off in their normal jobs? I was making money hand over fist. (Seriously, POD is so much better for smoothing out the economy and letting me actually play the game instead of always going bankrupt and getting eaten by successive hordes of Jacobins sometime in the 1840s).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The part of the game where I am considering breaking an alliance with France because they are not that useful to me anymore; all so I can back stab them and go to war with them for Madagascar which is the worlds richest source of tropical wood which my luxury furniture industry is consuming mass amounts of. My factories currently require about half the world's supply.

Vicky 2 is the best game.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

cheesetriangles posted:

Italy what are you doing. :psyduck:

The war was decided when 16 of my battelships (I combined 2 of my 4 fleets after this fight) blew up the entire British Navy who was using commerce raiders at the time. I was getting ready to blockade the home islands when they surrendered.

I don't think I ever remember the AI NOT using early game ships well into the late game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just hard my first World War. My allies were Germany and Austria-Hungary both of who were completely useless. In the end I got all I really cared about which was the 2nd richest industrial province in the UK, Northwest England. I had to fight the entire war pretty much by myself.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drunk in Space posted:

Is there a cap on the percentage of soldier POPs you can have? I tried using my NF on a region for about a year but it wouldn't go higher than 3.5 percent. My military spending was maxed as well.

This is with POD 3.06, if it matters.

Go to the POP screen and click the little icon for a POP (the little man that represents their type). That opens the detailed POP view and there you can hover over conversion chances to find out what influences them.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is it normal to have my total pop increasing by 100k a month? I figured the World War which mostly took place in Europe might have driven some people to the welcoming arms of the US.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

cheesetriangles posted:

Is it normal to have my total pop increasing by 100k a month? I figured the World War which mostly took place in Europe might have driven some people to the welcoming arms of the US.

Yeah, that's normal. Depending on how screwed up large European countries like Germany are you could even get them in a state of constant revolutions/counter-revolutions and keep getting all those immigrants for decades.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well when the war ended everyone was covered in rebels. I said gently caress that noise and went home already planning my next conquest.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

cheesetriangles posted:

When you see your immigration spike as a New World nation, check to see if China has westernized. Chances are they have, and they are spewing forth immigrants.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drone posted:

When you see your immigration spike as a New World nation, check to see if China has westernized. Chances are they have, and they are spewing forth immigrants.

Easier still, just check if the migration mapmode suddenly shows 70k Chinese immigrants a month.

cheesetriangles posted:

Don't forget to check your most populous state(probably New York)'s POP composition and :eyepop: at the speed of assimilation.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Wisdom of falcon etc.

Actually becoming a Great Power might have been a bad idea because now I can't use Flashpoints agains the Ottomans anymore.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Gimmick Account posted:

I'm probably the only one here who has this opinion, but I LOVED Arsenal of Democracy and could never truly get into Darkest Hour after that.

One of Arsenal of Democracy's 'things' is that it changes the combat balance in such a way that small, expensive, elite units become very viable for breakthroughs, instead of Darkest Hour's system, where endless infantry spam seems to be ideal for almost every situation. So you get to play around with attachments a lot! And for those among us who hated the new 'finite' manpower system in Darkest Hour, Arsenal of Democracy uses a slightly modified form of the old, 'regenerating' one. There are also some possibilities for late-game investment in infrastructure, such as nuclear power plants that generate small amounts of the 'energy' resource, or increasing the actual infrastructure of a province beyond 100. It's all quite nice.

One very unfortunate aspect of the game is, though, that is never really got a working new map, so you'll be stuck with the old Hearts of Iron 2 one. A project to convert it to the Darkest Hour one was started, but it seems to have petered out a long time ago.

This is a page late but this is me as well. If it weren't for Kaiserreich (which makes DH worth it on its own) I wouldn't bother with any of the HoI games but AoD.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

When trying to industrialize should I manually encourage craftsmen pops after I finish getting 2% clergy?.Or should I just let it happen naturally?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Morholt posted:

Wisdom of falcon etc.

Actually becoming a Great Power might have been a bad idea because now I can't use Flashpoints agains the Ottomans anymore.

How exactly did you do that? I need it ... for a friend

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I justified a Conquest vs Montenegro on day 1, not sure if it was worth it in the end. I got Southern Serbia by using the Flashpoint focus and being lucky. NGF and Russia ended up beating up the Ottomans for me.

I got to great power status by spamming cultural techs for the +prestige inventions, this works for basically all civilized countries.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Morholt posted:

I justified a Conquest vs Montenegro on day 1, not sure if it was worth it in the end.

Serbia never wrong :tito:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

March of the Eagles is currently incredibly fuckin cheap for the next 12 hours on the Humble Store's flash sale. It's worth a few pennies if for nothing else to be frustrated by how close it comes to being a good game (and for some good multiplayer, I hear).

I think Wiz made some tweaks to the AI for his Azeri mod, but I don't think he ever linked said fixes anywhere like he did with Rome. Hint hint.

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 11, 2014

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Gorelab posted:

When trying to industrialize should I manually encourage craftsmen pops after I finish getting 2% clergy?.Or should I just let it happen naturally?

Keep increasing your clergy to 4%, which is the cap for literacy increase. Literacy is the main limiter of craftsmen/clerk promotion, if you aren't at the right literacy then the focus is useless and if your literacy is above that you should be getting craftsmen just fine. After you're done on clergy/bureaucrats or whatever you're probably better off encouraging soldiers or something.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

March of the Eagles is currently incredibly fuckin cheap for the next 12 hours on the Humble Store's flash sale. It's worth a few pennies if for nothing else to be frustrated by how close it comes to being a good game (and for some good multiplayer, I hear).

I think Wiz made some tweaks to the AI for his Azeri mod, but I don't think he ever linked said fixes anywhere like he did with Rome. Hint hint.

I didn't really do much with the AI in MotE, mostly just cleaned up the insane variety of units and such. I actually don't know if I have a copy of MotA laying around anymore.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drone posted:

Yoink! Thank ya.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

HOI3 + all 19 DLC for $5: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/hearts-of-iron-iii-complete-bundle/

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've got all the major expansions except Their Finest Hour.. does that one make it worth it, or should I not even bother until HoI4 comes out?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Drone posted:

I've got all the major expansions except Their Finest Hour.. does that one make it worth it, or should I not even bother until HoI4 comes out?

I grabbed it because the price of all the DLC I don't own comes to around 30bux.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

TFH changes combined arms for the better, espionage is improved, and there are extra units that aren't in the base game, plus the insanity of Custom Game Mode. If you're not already a fan of HoI3 I'd recommend against it, because it doesn't really change a large amount compared to FTM or SF.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I've run in to an... interesting bug during my current V2 run. There's a crisis stuck at max temperature with one side having no backers, and my war justifications are also frozen. I have no clue what's going on or how to fix it, and my last save was a while back. Any ideas?

This is with the New Nations Mod, by the way.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a YouTube guy like Arumba but for HoI3? Would love an in depth lp/tutorial

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a YouTube guy like Arumba but for HoI3? Would love an in depth lp/tutorial

Most lps of HOI 3 are featuring a mod called black ice that just turns the sperg up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ3D7qq61iw&list=PL177CF59636F80BD7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d95CHl9WQaA&list=PLDB5F13C0A67A5F91

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

In HoI3 I hear BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM every hour from my convoys being destroyed. Is this entirely from physical raiders like enemy subs, destroyers, and aircraft, or is there some arbitrary factor to it too like supply throughput on the land?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Elendil004 posted:

follow this meticulous, helpful guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LamgAfVj980&bpctr=1410475872

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Decrepus posted:

In HoI3 I hear BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM every hour from my convoys being destroyed. Is this entirely from physical raiders like enemy subs, destroyers, and aircraft, or is there some arbitrary factor to it too like supply throughput on the land?

Entirely physical stuff. I'm guessing you're the UK if you're hearing it nonstop.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Guess who got promoted to EU4 project lead? :toot:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...=1#post18031347

Of course the real news here is that Johan is no doubt off to head up Rome 2 and Victoria 3 simultaneously.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
New naval ai Wiz?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, Wiz sure rose in status awfully fast. Congrats!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Have you not seen the office multiplayer reports posted on the paradox forums? I'm not sure if he has a higher diplo or intrigue score.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Too fast. Who has he assassinated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ofaloaf posted:

Have you not seen the office multiplayer reports posted on the paradox forums? I'm not sure if he has a higher diplo or intrigue score.

Where are those, out of curiosity?

• Locked thread