Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

What podcast?

The Smoking Tire. I looked quickly but couldn't pinpoint exactly which one, it would have been a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

awesome-express posted:

I kinda want a nice car, but I live in a city with great public transportation links... Is my money better off being used to buy property? Hookers? Stocks? idk

Oh boy are you in the wrong subforum.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I've come into a bit of money and I'm looking at a 1982 Mercedes 300TD automatic. It has 190k, and the owner has had it for 17 years. I'm going to look later this week. Are there any problem areas I should be aware of?

EDIT: I'd like to use it as my daily driver. Is this realistic?

From 1980 on the W123 got better rust protection, though personally I still wouldn't drive it on salty roads. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a DD.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Does MB sell a Lightning Cable for plugging into the media interface on a 2011 C300? I recently purchased a CPO 2011 C300 and I love everything about the car with the exception of this stupid plug. I've been using the 30 pin to Lightning adapter piece, but it's been unreliable to say the least.

I frequently get errors where the Media Interface is "unavailable" or the device is not recognized at all (although my iPhone 5S is clearly receiving a charge). I can't help but feel this is because I'm using the adapter and a male Lightning plug would solve this.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
There's a lightning media cable,it's about 100$. Why Mercedes couldn't just make it all work with a normal USB port is beyond me.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

Does MB sell a Lightning Cable for plugging into the media interface on a 2011 C300? I recently purchased a CPO 2011 C300 and I love everything about the car with the exception of this stupid plug. I've been using the 30 pin to Lightning adapter piece, but it's been unreliable to say the least.

I frequently get errors where the Media Interface is "unavailable" or the device is not recognized at all (although my iPhone 5S is clearly receiving a charge). I can't help but feel this is because I'm using the adapter and a male Lightning plug would solve this.

For what it's worth, I have an 09 c300 and bought the apple lightning adapter and haven't had any issues.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Frank Dillinger posted:

There's a lightning media cable,it's about 100$. Why Mercedes couldn't just make it all work with a normal USB port is beyond me.

Burden posted:

For what it's worth, I have an 09 c300 and bought the apple lightning adapter and haven't had any issues.

Asked and answered.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.
About to pick up an 04 CL500. Any advice about the car in general? Buying it third-hand from someone who's been meticulous with maintenance. ABC recently repaired by MB so fewer worries there.

I'm having a hard time finding an aftermarket headunit though. I'd like something with bluetooth and GPS (built in GPS works fine but hasn't been updated since 06).

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

soj89 posted:

About to pick up an 04 CL500. Any advice about the car in general? Buying it third-hand from someone who's been meticulous with maintenance. ABC recently repaired by MB so fewer worries there.

I'm having a hard time finding an aftermarket headunit though. I'd like something with bluetooth and GPS (built in GPS works fine but hasn't been updated since 06).

This is the best troll. I LOL'd.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

This is the best troll. I LOL'd.

Kinda cute, though.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I've come into a bit of money and I'm looking at a 1982 Mercedes 300TD automatic. It has 190k, and the owner has had it for 17 years. I'm going to look later this week. Are there any problem areas I should be aware of?

EDIT: I'd like to use it as my daily driver. Is this realistic?
I had an 83TD turbo auto about 10 years ago. I don't know if mine was typical or not but it was in the shop 3 or 4 times a year. They're cool but the technology is ancient, parts are expensive and even if you have regular maintenance done (example: I think the valves call for adjustment every 5K miles), poo poo will still go wrong. For me it was "How many more parts can I replace on this car and still have issues?". Bottom line is you can DD them but expect to be out of a working car somewhat regularly.

E: If you can live with that the problems I'd expect are vacuum pump and vacuum lines, transmission woes which may be vacuum-related, rust around the rear window, cooling system woes = fan clutch, radiator, water pump, basically everything and then potentially a ton of maintenance items like glow plugs, fuel injectors suspension components etc... If the car is one that was owned by a maintenance-obsessed person that would be the #1 reason to buy it.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 10, 2014

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

meatpimp posted:

Kinda cute, though.

Think I missed the joke.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

soj89 posted:

Think I missed the joke.

You are considering the purchase of a well documented money pit. Any feedback you get here is going to upset you.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
If only it were a CL600 instead, then it would be perfect.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

You are considering the purchase of a well documented money pit. Any feedback you get here is going to upset you.

Going in with eyes open. Seems to me the biggest issue is the active body control and its costly repairs.

$11,300k CAD 137k KM

I think I'm good with it as long as it lasts for another 3 or 4 years.

Now upset me. Do it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its not going to last 3 or 4 years with out sinking some money.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
May I re-direct you to the BMW thread?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

soj89 posted:

Going in with eyes open. Seems to me the biggest issue is the active body control and its costly repairs.

$11,300k CAD 137k KM

I think I'm good with it as long as it lasts for another 3 or 4 years.

Now upset me. Do it.

There's a guy on one of the MB forums that has averaged $12,000 per year in maintenance costs alone for basically the same car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrChips posted:

There's a guy on one of the MB forums that has averaged $12,000 per year in maintenance costs alone for basically the same car.

The old Ferrari adage of "If you can afford to buy two, you can afford to own one" is modified for 10 year old high-end Mercedes cars to "If you can afford to buy four, you can afford to own one." Either that, or view it as disposable and drive it until you have a multi-thousand dollar electronic repair, then junk it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Either that, or view it as disposable and drive it until you have a multi-thousand dollar electronic repair, then junk it.

This over and over and over again.

This is why I keep kicking around the idea of buying that V12 S class, drive the poo poo out of it, then when it dies, jerk the motor and send the rest to the heap. I have been looking at megasquirting the V12. What I would use a random V12 for I have no idea. But it would be cool.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What I would use a random V12 for I have no idea. But it would be cool.

Coffee table

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

soj89 posted:

Now upset me. Do it.

Ok - here's the real deal: can you afford a new CL500? Thats $116,000 new. No? What about any new Mercedes - even the new $29,000 CLA250? The general rule with complex german machines is if you can't afford a new one, you sure as poo poo can't afford a used one. If you can't afford the cheapest model they make, then a used CL will bankrupt you, since the cost of ownership is still that of a $100k+ car, and then some.

I had a great idea when I was 19 to buy a $14,000 2001 BMW 330Ci - what a great deal I thought! A previously $46-50k car for less than a new corolla! Well it turns out that over the 4 years or so I owned it, I could have easily financed a brand spankin' new 328i coupe for LESS than I pumped in that drat thing for repairs and whatnot. There is a very, very good reason used german luxury cars depreciate quicker than just about anything else.

But this is AI after all, so buy that thing, straight pipe it and do a manual conversion and rallycross it!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

They are aluminum blocked right? It would make some bitchin' garage furniture - I am about to get married, I can only push the limit so far. Shes fine with random cars, oil spills, etc, but she draws the line at car parts in the living room.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Voltage posted:

Ok - here's the real deal: can you afford a new CL500? Thats $116,000 new. No? What about any new Mercedes - even the new $29,000 CLA250? The general rule with complex german machines is if you can't afford a new one, you sure as poo poo can't afford a used one. If you can't afford the cheapest model they make, then a used CL will bankrupt you, since the cost of ownership is still that of a $100k+ car, and then some.

I had a great idea when I was 19 to buy a $14,000 2001 BMW 330Ci - what a great deal I thought! A previously $46-50k car for less than a new corolla! Well it turns out that over the 4 years or so I owned it, I could have easily financed a brand spankin' new 328i coupe for LESS than I pumped in that drat thing for repairs and whatnot. There is a very, very good reason used german luxury cars depreciate quicker than just about anything else.

But this is AI after all, so buy that thing, straight pipe it and do a manual conversion and rallycross it!

Can't put a price tag on sweet complex german ride and comfort though, right? Right?

Seriously though, thanks for the reality check. Fact is I do just fine. I just don't want to take a huge hit on depreciation by buying new. My boss is swapping for a CL63 and the opportunity just came up.

Getting back to the second part of my original question, is it possible to swap the HU out with an aftermarket one without chopping up the centre console?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What I would use a random V12 for I have no idea. But it would be cool.
TopGear made a blender, even made its speed controlled by the acellerator pedal. I can't remember which exact engine they used. One from a Viper maybe?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

TopGear made a blender, even made its speed controlled by the acellerator pedal. I can't remember which exact engine they used. One from a Viper maybe?

It was an LSx motor of some flavor actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDlMLqdvHzI

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

soj89 posted:

Getting back to the second part of my original question, is it possible to swap the HU out with an aftermarket one without chopping up the centre console?

Again, if that is truly a question that is vexing you, you have no business buying a 10 year old high-end Mercedes, because the answer to that is FAR easier to find and finance than "why are all the lights lit up on the dash all of a sudden?"

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

soj89 posted:

DO you really want to touch already finicky electronics with an aftermarket head unit?

Please again, you need another reality check. These cars are extremely integrated. I know BMW's iDrive is linked in with the ECU, and about 6 modules related to the car.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Voltage posted:

I would typically agree with this advice but I have been driving a $4,000 2002 BMW 745i for the last 14,000 miles and haven't had any problems.

Buy it. Don't put yourself into huge debt over it, but buy it anyway! That e46 that he's talking about is a simple car to fix and work on yourself.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Nait Sirhc posted:

I would typically agree with this advice but I have been driving a $4,000 2002 BMW 745i for the last 14,000 miles and haven't had any problems.

Buy it. Don't put yourself into huge debt over it, but buy it anyway! That e46 that he's talking about is a simple car to fix and work on yourself.

Bullshit it's an easy/simple car to fix- I did do most of the work myself but it was annoying as poo poo to work on. It also had a host of electrical gremlins once I started to dip over 100k miles. So many strange problems and poo poo that broke that would never even exist on a "normal" car.

I could write a book on the poo poo that failed on that car. Engine/driveline is rock solid, but the little things just killed me - lock tumbler breaking, electronic hvac going haywire, reprogramming the keys alone after having to literally cut them open to replace the soldered on batteries, insane issues with all of the lights, hilariously,
incomprehensible high levels of oil burning, $900 imported lock tumbler, control arm fuckery, power steering explosion, needlessly complex drive belt/tensioner system, alternator cooling ducts, superior german adhesives, and don't even get my started on how many times I had to replace multiple, brittle plastic parts of the goddamn cooling system.

Don't get me wrong I loving miss that car, it was cool as poo poo but goddamn what a nightmare.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nait Sirhc posted:

I'd be much more comfortable in a beater 7 than a beater high-end Benz. Too many stories of wonky computer systems that control major necessary components, not just A/C seats.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
BMW has slightly better electrics than Mercedes. Not by a large margin, but I too hear more horror stories of funky electronics in Mercedes than BMW.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

Sten Freak posted:

I had an 83TD turbo auto about 10 years ago. I don't know if mine was typical or not but it was in the shop 3 or 4 times a year. They're cool but the technology is ancient, parts are expensive and even if you have regular maintenance done (example: I think the valves call for adjustment every 5K miles), poo poo will still go wrong. For me it was "How many more parts can I replace on this car and still have issues?". Bottom line is you can DD them but expect to be out of a working car somewhat regularly.

E: If you can live with that the problems I'd expect are vacuum pump and vacuum lines, transmission woes which may be vacuum-related, rust around the rear window, cooling system woes = fan clutch, radiator, water pump, basically everything and then potentially a ton of maintenance items like glow plugs, fuel injectors suspension components etc... If the car is one that was owned by a maintenance-obsessed person that would be the #1 reason to buy it.

I picked it up tonight.

I don't mind doing the maintenance stuff, and I also don't mind living with minor stuff not working. My current DD is a beater 1995 BMW 530i, so I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. The owner seemed like a pretty meticulous guy.

Asshole Bicycle fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 12, 2014

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
drat dude, that is beautiful! Is it... a manual?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Voltage posted:

Bullshit it's an easy/simple car to fix- I did do most of the work myself but it was annoying as poo poo to work on. It also had a host of electrical gremlins once I started to dip over 100k miles. So many strange problems and poo poo that broke that would never even exist on a "normal" car.

I could write a book on the poo poo that failed on that car. Engine/driveline is rock solid, but the little things just killed me - lock tumbler breaking, electronic hvac going haywire, reprogramming the keys alone after having to literally cut them open to replace the soldered on batteries, insane issues with all of the lights, hilariously,
incomprehensible high levels of oil burning, $900 imported lock tumbler, control arm fuckery, power steering explosion, needlessly complex drive belt/tensioner system, alternator cooling ducts, superior german adhesives, and don't even get my started on how many times I had to replace multiple, brittle plastic parts of the goddamn cooling system.

Don't get me wrong I loving miss that car, it was cool as poo poo but goddamn what a nightmare.

This forum as a whole is generally terrified of any Mercedes made after like 1991 and would rather collectively jerk off over BMWs with disposable cooling systems and engines that make oil mysteriously disappear and blown headgaskets than ever dare spend money maintaining a Benz.

meatpimp posted:

Again, if that is truly a question that is vexing you, you have no business buying a 10 year old high-end Mercedes, because the answer to that is FAR easier to find and finance than "why are all the lights lit up on the dash all of a sudden?"

Come on man it's not like he came on here talking about his co-signer.

soj89 posted:

Can't put a price tag on sweet complex german ride and comfort though, right? Right?

Seriously though, thanks for the reality check. Fact is I do just fine. I just don't want to take a huge hit on depreciation by buying new. My boss is swapping for a CL63 and the opportunity just came up.

It's actually not an easy question to answer since MB used some fiber-optic cables in cars of that generation. I'd say look at the MB World forums as some head units might not work depending on whether the car comes with the optional stereo. I know this is the case in my E55.

You should go for it especially if the car has been maintained and you can afford a few $$ here and there in maintenance. The ABC unit is what I'd be afraid of on those vehicles. Do you know what work was recently done to it?

Also fun fact one of the service writers at the MB dealer near me said the hinges on the doors cost about $1900 each to replace when they start to sag!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cyrezar posted:

...MB used some fiber-optic cables in cars of that generation

...and you can afford a few $$ here and there in maintenance. The ABC unit is what I'd be afraid of on those vehicles. Do you know what work was recently done to it?

...the hinges on the doors cost about $1900 each to replace when they start to sag!
Yeah no affordability issues here. And we talk a lot of poo poo about BMW's and tell a lot of people who post in that thread not to buy certain ones, especially heavily depreciated "bargain" 7-series.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Yeah no affordability issues here. And we talk a lot of poo poo about BMW's and tell a lot of people who post in that thread not to buy certain ones, especially heavily depreciated "bargain" 7-series.

He already said he can afford it so I'm not sure what the issue is. There are horror stories with any make and model of car like that guy with the $150,000 MSRP V12 lemon who spent thousands per year in average maintenance. It's real easy to spend huge amounts of money if you take the car to a dealership where hourly rates start at $130 and parts are marked up an ungodly amount. My parents have a Ford truck with less than 50,000 miles that's already had 3 power steering pumps go out, the radiator replaced and constant transmission issues (all out of warranty of course). That doesn't mean you should never buy one but just be aware that some cars are lemons and the ceiling on costs is obviously way higher with this car. If it's not a lemon and has been maintained it probably won't be an issue.

If you want a big 2 door RWD Grand Tourer your options are pretty limited at this point anyway.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Voltage posted:

So what you're saying is, it's a good thing I didn't buy your car :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cyrezar posted:

This forum as a whole is generally terrified of any Mercedes made after like 1991 and would rather collectively jerk off over BMWs with disposable cooling systems and engines that make oil mysteriously disappear and blown headgaskets than ever dare spend money maintaining a Benz.

Between the above quote and

Cyrezar posted:

You think he bought a car for brand wanking and so he should have bought a Lexus instead? What brands of 500 horsepower sedan are acceptable in your eyes, need to make sure I don't embarrass myself here in Automotive Insanity.

from your post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=434786301#post434786301

I think you're getting a little too emotionally invested in someone else buying and old car that was expensive when new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

Between the above quote and

from your post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=434786301#post434786301

I think you're getting a little too emotionally invested in someone else buying and old car that was expensive when new.

Sorry, I will refrain from discussing Mercedes in the Mercedes thread. OP, buy a used Miata, WRX, or E36 BMW.