Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splode posted:

I guess considering the big stone walls, it sort of makes sense the only thing they can hear is someone literally hammering away on the opposite side of the wall. Doesn't explain trees falling but I guess dwarves hate natural noises so it disturbs them.

When a dwarf fells a tree properly, the screams can be heard throughout the embark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:black101:

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Way to go, Beatrix Kiddo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I love doing something incredibly metal and then getting one shot by an elf with a whip the next day. :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Met posted:

I love doing something incredibly metal and then getting one shot by an elf with a whip the next day. :(

In fairness an elf whipping your skull into a pulp with one shot is also fairly metal.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
:siren: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.12 Released :siren:

quote:

This release has some more bug fixes in it, mostly related to healthcare, prisoners and morale.

Major bug fixes
(*) Made dwarves that fall unconscious while going to rest or sleep location not get stuck on the spot
(*) Fixed symptoms of wrestling error that could cause dwarves to freeze in place forever
(*) Stopped civs from sending a squad when they failed to find thieves/snatchers to send (led to small sieges in the first year)
(*) Allowed recover wounded jobs to bring dwarves to hospital floor if no beds are available
(*) Stopped recover wounded jobs from bringing dwarves to non-hospital beds
(*) Made caged/chained people request water/food with proper frequency

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(*) Made doctors remove dwarves from traction properly (checks weekly)
(*) Made dwarves move/get moved to new hospital more quickly if old hospital is removed
(*) Roots function as ramp walls properly now
(*) Can cross ramps covered by bridges in adventure mode
(*) Made critters that join up with your adventurer stop traveling if they were on a journey
(*) Made critters with entity-based army duties unwilling to join adventurers
(*) Stopped critters joined with you from considering moving, joining armies and other issues
(*) Added ability to repeat, suspend and cancel jobs from unit/job lists
(*) Made civ-level nobles attached to locations (e.g. barons) include their site in their name when possible
(*) Made dwarves that have been grabbed for chaining/etc. cancel their jobs properly
(*) Stopped certain events (like giving birth, resting or getting an artifact mood) from causing a working dwarf to suspend jobs for the whole fort
(*) Stopped chained mothers from seeking wandering infants
(*) Changed name of chaining/other jobs to include target instead of saying "animal" for everybody
(*) Made certain creatures like minotaurs act less civilized (requires LARGE_PREDATOR in raws)
(*) Stopped alarm moods from persisting long beyond event itself
(*) Made non-soldier adventure companions not default to flight (this could include giant demons, etc.)
(*) Stopped companions with stranger-kill ethics from starting no-quarter fights with strangers the party meets
(*) Made stranger-kill creatures respect their own prisoners/etc.
(*) Stopped adventure mode critters from persisting on outmoded paths when destination has changed
(*) Made sure dipscripts were loaded in the same order on different platforms (Quietust)
(*) Trading a worthless item for a non-worthless item no longer results in you initiating a robbery
(*) Wooden chests brought by elven traders are grown now
(*) Seeds that should be edible raw in adv mode are now edible

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dang, and DFHack updated only yesterday. AH WELL

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

poo poo, toady, fix the forum server. I want to steal some interesting worldgens.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm trying to pierce an aquifer for the first time, using the double-slit method, and I'm not seeing a layer drain into the layer below it.

The topmost layer that I drained worked fine -- I pumped out the slits, dug the stairs below the now-dry lower slit, and then the top layer drained and I was able to wall it in. Repeating the procedure for the next layer, though, I'm not seeing the now-uppermost layer drain.

I have a two Z-levels of up/down stairs atop each other, and both are staying at 7/7. I can pump out the top one again, but I don't think that'll be enough to let me wall it out, and I didn't have to do that for the previous layer. My understanding is that if I have 2 stories of stairs atop each other (both in aquifer layers), the upper one should drain out into the lower one leaving me a workable 1/7 or so on the upper area. Is that not the case?

I'm running 40.11, FWIW.

Edit: I'm now seeing the same thing on another embark in the same world, except now even the top level isn't draining into the second. Have I maybe hit a bug? I've never done anything with aquifers before...

I also hit a bug where I had a repeating job on a carpenter workshop, marked it for deconstruction, stopped the removal, and then the workshop got stuck in a state where it was waiting for a carpenter to construct, but the carpenter was still cranking out the blocks from the repeating job. It continues to be the case after saving and reloading, so I'll probably file that tomorrow.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 11, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I'm having some trouble with the military. I ordered my dwarves to kill a goblin during a siege. After they killed it, they are all just standing around its corpse doing nothing. Orders to move the squad, send them to kill other goblins a bit away, or even to make them inactive result in them doing nothing but standing around. How do I get them to move again?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Glory of Arioch posted:

I'm having some trouble with the military. I ordered my dwarves to kill a goblin during a siege. After they killed it, they are all just standing around its corpse doing nothing. Orders to move the squad, send them to kill other goblins a bit away, or even to make them inactive result in them doing nothing but standing around. How do I get them to move again?

I had that happen a while back and I ended up disbanding the squad and reforming it. :shrug:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Here is a trick that probably most of you don't know:

As soon as you embarked, assign a manager. As long as the fortress has less than 20 dwarves - iirc - the manager will not interrupt it's job and doesn't need a study to work. And using the manager is just so much better.

The quickest way to access the manager is U-M-Q. At that point you can start typing the item you want to build, and after enter you can input the amount you want built. The manager will automatically assign it to the appropiate workshop and life is so much easier.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the manager still gets upset if he doesn't have an office, even with only 7 dwarves. I'm surprised he'll still process jobs without one, that's good to know!

Another nice thing about the manager is that you can profile your workshops. This lets me set the workshops to only be usable by dwarves with some skill, and then I can leave masonry/carpentry/mechanics enabled on all my dwarves, so they all chip in with building constructions and loading traps.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I think the manager still gets upset if he doesn't have an office, even with only 7 dwarves. I'm surprised he'll still process jobs without one, that's good to know!

Another nice thing about the manager is that you can profile your workshops. This lets me set the workshops to only be usable by dwarves with some skill, and then I can leave masonry/carpentry/mechanics enabled on all my dwarves, so they all chip in with building constructions and loading traps.

He gets a bit upset, but not enough to cause any problem by the point you hit the 20 dwarf mark. Which should be the second wave.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I think you're all forgetting that all your manager needs is an assigned chair stuck somewhere indoors. That's it. That's all the "office" he needs.

The office room can literally be 1x1.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Excelzior posted:

I think you're all forgetting that all your manager needs is an assigned chair stuck somewhere indoors. That's it. That's all the "office" he needs.

Yes but here is the thing. After 20 he interrupts his job and goes to the chair and completes the manager order before going back.
Before 20 he doesn't do that, he will do his manager work while doing something else, thus there is no need for a room.

e: Also streamlining man. That's a chair and a table that would be much better used for a dining hall.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

Yes but here is the thing. After 20 he interrupts his job and goes to the chair and completes the manager order before going back.
Before 20 he doesn't do that, he will do his manager work while doing something else, thus there is no need for a room.

e: Also streamlining man. That's a chair and a table that would be much better used for a dining hall.

What table? Why would you need a table to do office work?

Also you can probably have the office chair share space with the dining hall if you want to.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ambaire posted:

Is there such a thing as a graphical tileset for the old 2d dwarf fortress version 23_130_23a? My google-fu is failing me today. I've been re-reading boatmurdered and I have this strange urge to try playing that version but the ascii is impenetrable.

Yup, check it.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1572

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

nielsm posted:

What table? Why would you need a table to do office work?

Also you can probably have the office chair share space with the dining hall if you want to.

Oh yeah, you are right. Welp. I still enjoy not worrying about that for the first year.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand, I read the wiki and I still don't get it what do Managers do?

In other news, I had 150 dwarf fort just die to a magma leak. :suicide:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I don't understand, I read the wiki and I still don't get it what do Managers do?

In other news, I had 150 dwarf fort just die to a magma leak. :suicide:

Manager do this:
If you have one assigned, you can create a new order with U-M-Q
You can type in what you want. Let's say you want 30 doors. You type in rock doors, input 30 and the manager will automatically create those jobs at all available workshops,

Basically you don't have to Q over a workshop and task every item indiviudally.

e: How can you run 150 dwarf fortress and not go crazy without a manager :psyduck:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Michaellaneous posted:

e: How can you run 150 dwarf fortress and not go crazy without a manager :psyduck:
I've played since 23.x or so, and only in DF2014 did I figure out the Manager position. I now rely on it so heavily that I'd rather input all my jobs that way, even if it takes the dwarves longer to finish poo poo. The only jobs that I don't are to cook meals and cut gems, since putting a single job on repeat will neatly cancel itself once all the materials are gone.

Making the 700 menacing spikes I wanted for my last fort would have been a far bigger pain in the rear end without that little bugger and his chair.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Isn't it J M Q?

I might be misremembering, I just sort of mash buttons instinctively when I play DF these days and don't actually know what I'm doing most of the time. Things just work.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Isn't it J M Q?

I might be misremembering, I just sort of mash buttons instinctively when I play DF these days and don't actually know what I'm doing most of the time. Things just work.

Nah it's units, manager, queue.

e: To cut gems all the time use workflow. Create a job that cuts all gems if the stockpile is lower than a thousand or something. Does not work with putting cut stuff onto stuff tho, sadly.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 12, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

Nah it's units, manager, queue.

e: To cut gems all the time use workflow. Create a job that cuts all gems if the stockpile is lower than a thousand or something. Does not work with putting cut stuff onto stuff tho, sadly.

both key paths work, actually. You can *also* access the manager from the jobs screen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Michaellaneous posted:

Don't you need standing jobs for each gem type, though? That gets unwieldy.

It seems like stockflow should be able to do this, but no. Maybe I need to learn more dfhack.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Don't you need standing jobs for each gem type, though? That gets unwieldy.

It seems like stockflow should be able to do this, but no. Maybe I need to learn more dfhack.

No, you can tell workflow to cut gems of any kind.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Excelzior posted:

A dwarf is dumb and will prefer to eat at an office chair he owns than the common dining room. If his office doesn't have a table he'll get a bad thought about the lack of tables. Any dwarf that has an office but not a private dining room should get a table in his office.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
J-M-Q is the path I use too. Didn't know you could get there from Unit screen.

Have no experience using dfhack for workflow or some of the other fixes like siege weapons, will give it a go though now that it's finally out for Linux. Especially if it has a 'cut all gems' function because that's the least intuitive thing I have right now that I'm constantly in need of.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dashticle posted:

J-M-Q is the path I use too. Didn't know you could get there from Unit screen.

Have no experience using dfhack for workflow or some of the other fixes like siege weapons, will give it a go though now that it's finally out for Linux. Especially if it has a 'cut all gems' function because that's the least intuitive thing I have right now that I'm constantly in need of.

Basically all you have to do is q over a workshop, dfhack "gui/workflow", and then you have everything you need presented to you. Trying around a bit and you figured it out.

You should also bind gui/workflow to a key if you are going to use it more often. Which you should because workflow is literally the best thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Michaellaneous posted:

No, you can tell workflow to cut gems of any kind.

What job does it unpause, though? AIUI you have to have a job for it to manage, and I don't know start a job that isn't gem-specific.

Fake edit: oh, are you changing the job material with dfhack to make it generic over gems?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

What job does it unpause, though? AIUI you have to have a job for it to manage, and I don't know start a job that isn't gem-specific.

Fake edit: oh, are you changing the job material with dfhack to make it generic over gems?

No, I am not ding that. You just use workflow on any cut gem job, and that can be turned into "Cut any available" gem, or something, iirc. Let me try it out quickly.

e: Okay, here it how it works in detail.

1. Go to any Jewler Workshop and create a Cut Gem job for any gem. You don't even need one. Just don't unpause the game.
2. Set the job to repeat.
3. Select the job and dfhack "gui/workflow", without the ""
4. Type A and select Cut gem of any material
5. Set your limits however you want. Set them high if you just want all of your gems cut.

Done, this workshop will now cut any uncut gem that is available to you.

This is by the way the single most usefull thing after managers. Stuff like making charcoal and smelting iron is so much easier, and the entire micromanagement is removed. Same goes for beds and barreles, etc. Try to get used to it, and it will make you happy. While you work in the GUI you can press S to bring up a quick overview over all your workflow jobs with graphs and all.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 12, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh cool. Yeah, I love workflow a lot.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
Has the initial goblin rush been buffed recently? I haven't played in a couple of years but goblins are running in and buttfucking my dwarfs in about a year or less every time. In the last game I played they showed up in 6 months, ran through about 24 stonefall traps and killed my 7 dwarfs. It goes without saying none of my settlers can fight for poo poo. Is it just bad luck or has this changed big time?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

trashcangammy posted:

Has the initial goblin rush been buffed recently? I haven't played in a couple of years but goblins are running in and buttfucking my dwarfs in about a year or less every time. In the last game I played they showed up in 6 months, ran through about 24 stonefall traps and killed my 7 dwarfs. It goes without saying none of my settlers can fight for poo poo. Is it just bad luck or has this changed big time?

Are you using a version older than 0.40.12?

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
No I downloaded it just yesterday. I'm gonna start a new world and try again from scratch. This time I'll go all out to make sure I survive. It's just weird, in the versions a couple of years ago it was almost impossible for goblins to kill more than a couple of people.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Don't make stonefall traps? Or if you do find some way to control the kind of stone they get loaded with. Otherwise you just showered those goblins with pumice and exfoliated the poo poo out of them on their merry murdering way.

Cage traps are preferable because then you get free military training later.

The most efficient trap is the 1-tile wide entranceway with pits on either side and x10 wooden training spears weapon trap.

code:
. = 5+ z-level pit
|^| = walkway with weapon trap

....|^|....
....|^|....
....|^|....
....|^|....
....|^|....
....|^|....
....|^|....
Guess what happens when one of those goblins tries to dodge out of the way of 10 harmless wooden spear attacks.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

Don't make stonefall traps?

Yeah I'm gonna set up 30 or so cage traps they have to run through. Once I'm more established I'll probably use more sophisticated setups but these guys show up before I have a decent squad together. If these cage traps don't work I'll go apeshit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

trashcangammy posted:

Yeah I'm gonna set up 30 or so cage traps they have to run through. Once I'm more established I'll probably use more sophisticated setups but these guys show up before I have a decent squad together. If these cage traps don't work I'll go apeshit.
Don't forget to put some weapon traps behind them if they fill up all the cages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Is it possible to dam rivers in current version? I tried it with a bunch of pumps in like .32, the game kept crashing before my dwarves managed to put a single block of dam wall.