Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

oh jay posted:

Yeah, Amon had a lot of crazy ideas about Air.
Balance means
    a. taking out benders
    b. uhh, spirits or something
    c. taking out leaders
    d. ??

alternative list
    a. killing the avatar
    b. killing the avatar
    c. killing the avatar
    d. killing the avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
I just binge watched season 3 today. IMO the best season of all 3 so far. I don't understand people aren't watching this and nick took it off the air? Also i really liked the "bad guys" this season. I was kinda rooting for them a little bit :)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So what made Nick bail and lose all faith in this show? Lack of ratings? Not the right demo?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Harlock posted:

So what made Nick bail and lose all faith in this show? Lack of ratings? Not the right demo?

it is hard to keep a show on your merch-driven kids' network if it neither attracts a young, merch-buying audience nor produces much licensed merch to sell them.

I don't think these are the show's fault, but that is probably what a nick executive would tell you if you lassoed one.

Anyway, we knew this was the last season anyway, so it's not like this is an "Oh no, they're rushing the show and that means they will probably cancel it!" situation, though it probably doesn't bode well for any future series in the franchise.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Also, I think the leaks did impact things... they had been considering moving Korra to online-only before season 3 had a release date... but then the leaks happened, and it seems like they panicked and made their sudden tv-only, 2 episodes a week decision.... then halfway through they changed their minds and went back to their online only plan.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Christ, they're really just trying to get it out the door aren't they? How long of a production time did it have? They must have made it almost concurrently with the third season, right? I don't remember ever seeing such a quick turn-around for an animated show, especially one with this level of animation.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I'm really looking forward to reading Mike and Bryan's tell-all book about this whole fiasco.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Bet they signed an NDA as part of their contracts.. So you'll never get the story

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

Christ, they're really just trying to get it out the door aren't they? How long of a production time did it have? They must have made it almost concurrently with the third season, right? I don't remember ever seeing such a quick turn-around for an animated show, especially one with this level of animation.
They did. Books 3 and 4 were ordered at the same time.

Babygravy posted:

Bet they signed an NDA as part of their contracts.. So you'll never get the story
Bryan's been surprisingly candid about his feelings on the subject, without quite crossing the line into "biting the hand that feeds you."
The two also recently had a podcast appearance where they finally talked about The Movie after three years of silence, so I think it's less a matter of contracts and more "they know there's certain things they can't say without loving over the rest of their careers because that's how the business works."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What'd they say about the movie, out of curiosity?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I have such mixed feelings about this announcement. Obviously, it's awesome that we're getting season 4 so soon, but yeah Nick just doesn't give a poo poo about the show. I think it's pretty disappointing because it's an amazing show that's been hamstringed by incompetent or even arguably ill-intentioned decisions outside of the show's control. I've read a lot of speculation based on poor merchandise opportunities or being outside the target market, but I'm still just not sure we have the full story of exactly what the hell is going on at Nick.

Maybe a Nick employee will leak some company gossip on what's going on. That'd be interesting to hear.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Was this brought up here?

http://avatarthelegendofkorraonline.com/mike-bryan-interview-the-last-airbender-movie-digital-korra-nickelodeon-marketing/6591/

quote:

Bryan refers to The Last Airbender movie as ‘The Catastrophe’ while Mike calls it ‘The Movie that Shall not be Named’.
Mike DiMartino: “We had nothing do with it [The Last Airbender movie].” Bryan Konietzko: “I mean, we were dragged through it… it’s a long story.” Bryan doesn’t like talking about the movie for a lot of reasons.
Bryan talks about how it was tough to be excited for The Last Airbender while it was in production. Fans were excited for it, but the co-creators knew the movie wasn’t going well throughout production. Still, they held onto a sliver of hope that it would end up being half-way descent. It wasn’t.
The co-creators didn’t want The Last Airbender movie done in the first place. If the movie had to be done, they said they wanted to do it, but they were not allowed. Once M. Night Shyamalan was brought along to do the film, the co-creators decided to offer advice when needed and simply hoped for the best.
In the beginning, things were going positively and the co-creators were offering advice, but then there was a big ‘falling out’ – suggesting the co-creators are no longer on good terms with Shyamalan. Bryan reiterates that it’s a long story that would need a span of 2 weeks to be told.
Bryan calls The Last Airbender movie nothing but a ‘wasted opportunity’ – time, money, everything wasted. Still, the co-creators met a lot of great people through the experience. They met a lot of great producers, talented people and their agent. There were some great things that came from the movie, but the movie itself was not one of them.
Bryan explains how disheartening it was to see their characters “dragged through the mud.” The racial side of the film was equally disheartening.
Bryans talks about how he and Mike didn’t even have to do or say anything, because they “gathered an army” of fans (us!) who “screaming at this guy [Shyamalan].” All the co-creators had to do was sit back and let the fandom handle the unfortunate situation.
Bryan: This isn’t the first time a project has been horribly adapted by Hollywood, and it’s not the last time. It might even happen to us again – which refers to the possibility of a Korra movie. Bryan promises that he and Mike will approach the situation differently if another Avatar-based movie is made.
Bryan: “We gave, like, input that went no where. Our involvement [in the movie] had no effect.” Basically, Shyamalan ignored all of Mike and Bryan’s input and ensured The Last Airbender had his stamp on it.
The co-creators’ lawyers fought to have Mike and Bryan’s name on the movie. Bryan: “In hindsight, I didn’t even want that!” The co-creators wanted people to know that the movie depicted their world, because Shyamalan put his name on the movie as if it was his creation. Bryan: “But at the end of the day, we said wait, why didn’t we just let him do that [have his name solely on the movie]? I don’t want to be associated with that!” Mike: “That’s his [Shyamalan’s]. That’s all his.”
Mike explains that The Last Airbender movie gave them motivation to initially write Korra themselves. They wanted to make sure it was done right.

Co-Creators on Digital Korra, Book 3 Leaks and Nickelodeon:

Host: Can we talk about Korra switching to a digital format? Bryan jokingly: “Look, if we talked about the movie, we can talk about anything! I’ll show you my birth mark at the end of this!”
Mike: We found out about Korra going digital because there was this leak. It was just before Comic-Con. “Like the movie, it’s a long story.” Book 3 got off to a very rough start because they premiered it with a week’s notice, with no promotion.
Mike: “There was no correlation between the leaked episodes and them putting it on air when they did.” Bryan confirms that there’s another factor that led to this, but they can’t talk about. It’s something network-related beyond their expertise.
Mike explains that there was a window of opportunity programming-wise that forced them to premiere Book 3 when they did (without much notice) or they’d have to wait until next year to premiere Book 3.
Bryan explains that the initial Book 3 leak was not why the network threw Book 3 on air so quickly. Even though there are executives like Mike and Bryan who care for the show and were angered by the leaks, Nickelodeon as a network doesn’t care about leaks; it doesn’t dictate their programming. Nickelodeon looked into the leaks and learned that the episodes were stolen off the server. The affiliate in Mexico didn’t accidentally upload it to their server. Nothing was ever uploaded.
Bryan: “There’s a different reason that the show was being held up. Because we were done with Book 3, it was just waiting. And when that didn’t work and they were like, ‘Let’s put it on now’ – and it was hastily done.”
Mike questioned how they were going to get the word out about the show, and he quickly learned that the network wasn’t going to do much.
The co-creators disliked the idea of holding Book 3 from going online. Nickelodeon told them that their audience is primarily online, but they didn’t want to put the show online because they wanted to use the show to drive viewers to their network.
Bryan talks about how the TV landscape was different when Avatar: The Last Airbender aired on the network. It was a prime-time, Friday-night show and it did very well. The co-creators butt heads with Nickelodeon because the network told them Avatar: The Last Airbender re-runs were doing poorly, citing that the show wasn’t a comedy. For years, Mike and Bryan tried to explain to Nickelodeon that the show’s re-runs weren’t doing well ratings-wise because they needed to be aired in order. Some time later, the co-creators ran into a Nickelodeon executive who told them that Avatar: The Last Airbender was the #1 show on Nicktoons. The network decided to air re-runs of the series in order and, and it did really well. Go figure.
For Korra, Mike and Bryan originally wanted the series on the Friday night time slot because Avatar: The Last Airbender succeeded on that time slot. Nickelodeon opted for the Saturday morning time slot and they were right. However, when Book 2 rolled around, Nickelodeon put the series on the Friday night time slot because it was no longer a new series.
Mike and Bryan initially disliked Nickelodeon’s decision to hastily put the entire Book 2 finale online at once. The co-creators received a 12 hour notice of this decision. In the end, the finale was viewed by millions of people, and it did better online than on the network.
Bryan thought it was weird that the network put Book 3 back on the Friday night time slot after they saw Book 2’s ratings fall due to the time slot. It was then eventually pulled from the network, and Mike explained that the whole thing was just a bunch of “mixed-signals.”
Mike explains that they don’t know when or where Book 4 will premiere, but its coming. Production is almost complete on the final season.
Mike: Book 3 is on most platforms except for iTunes. But that’s another story.
Bryan refers to our fandom’s speculation that Nickelodeon pulled Book 3 off the network because it was getting to violent, citing the Earth Queen’s on-screen death. Bryan: “I don’t think they [Nickelodeon] care.” Mike: “I don’t think they’ve watched this episode.”
Bryan: All these crazy things had absolutely no impact on Book 4.
The co-creators are ready to move onto other worlds after Korra. But Bryan explains that the Avatar World has this immense gravity to it. They can try to run away in the short run, but it’ll eventually pull them back in.

That's the summary of a brutal podcast they had about Book 3.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Jesto posted:

Mike explains that there was a window of opportunity programming-wise that forced them to premiere Book 3 when they did (without much notice) or they’d have to wait until next year to premiere Book 3.

What, were the eight hours a day of SpongeBob reruns locked down for the rest of the year?

Jesto posted:

The co-creators are ready to move onto other worlds after Korra. But Bryan explains that the Avatar World has this immense gravity to it. They can try to run away in the short run, but it’ll eventually pull them back in.

There's that at least. :unsmith:

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 11, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

quote:

Mike explains that The Last Airbender movie gave them motivation to initially write Korra themselves. They wanted to make sure it was done right.

Oh, the irony.

quote:

The co-creators butt heads with Nickelodeon because the network told them Avatar: The Last Airbender re-runs were doing poorly, citing that the show wasn’t a comedy. For years, Mike and Bryan tried to explain to Nickelodeon that the show’s re-runs weren’t doing well ratings-wise because they needed to be aired in order. Some time later, the co-creators ran into a Nickelodeon executive who told them that Avatar: The Last Airbender was the #1 show on Nicktoons. The network decided to air re-runs of the series in order and, and it did really well. Go figure.

So the Nickelodeon executives are about as clueless as I'd imagined, then.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 11, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I've always questioned the conventional wisdom that kiddie comedies work better than serialized shows (reason being kids aren't sophisticated enough to follow anything with continuity, so they say), because, when we were young, I remember my brother and I really liked serialized cartoons.

Then again, the last time I saw my 10-year-old half-brother, it took him about a millisecond to switch the channel from ATLA to some toon called Chowder, so what the hell do I know about how kids think.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 11, 2014

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
I always prefered shows with actual story flow and a sense of progress as well. Pirates of Dark Water got me hooked on the idea that cartoons could actually have a plot structure, of all things.

And then it got cancelled before the plot could be resolved. :sigh:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Some terrible american miniseries was my first experience with it, and I loved it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jesto posted:

I always prefered shows with actual story flow and a sense of progress as well. Pirates of Dark Water got me hooked on the idea that cartoons could actually have a plot structure, of all things.

That's probably the biggest risk for any serial. Shows like Sym-Bionic Titan and the newest Thundercats series were both serial shows and relatively good, but their plots were essentially written to last beyond a single season. Having a narrative like that can pay out big time, but it's also risky since a sudden cancelation or hiatus can leave everything hanging.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Wildeyes posted:

I've always questioned the conventional wisdom that kiddie comedies work better than serialized shows (reason being kids aren't sophisticated enough to follow anything with continuity, so they say), because, when we were young, I remember my brother and I really liked serialized cartoons.

Me too. The reason why I was so obsessed with DBZ and Pokemon back in the day was because they were cartoons with actual ongoing plots and continuity. That was absolutely mindblowing to me since up until then the most complicated thing I had watched was Scooby Doo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jesto posted:

And now you know where 90% of otaku that grew up in the 80s/90s came from.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Jesto posted:

Yeah, I still have fond memories of watching Exo-Squad before school. That was the first kids cartoon I can remember requiring a "previously on" before each episode.

Also similarly cancelled on a cliffhanger

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
It is kinda weird that they don;t understand that stories spread out over multiple episodes get people more invested into a series and it's characters. A cliffhanger is one of the most commonly used tactics to keep people watching a show, why wouldn;t this apply to kids shows?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can we get a thread title change with the book 4 date? I almost missed the book 3 debut until I saw this thread like 2 days before.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

PaulDirac posted:

It is kinda weird that they don;t understand that stories spread out over multiple episodes get people more invested into a series and it's characters. A cliffhanger is one of the most commonly used tactics to keep people watching a show, why wouldn;t this apply to kids shows?

In the case of Exo-Squad the final episode worked really well as a series finale, with the war wrapping up and people going back to civilian lives. The last five minutes however feature an entirely new alien race showing up, eating a planet, and leaving the main protagonist stranded in deep space in a short-range one-man spacecraft.

A cliffhanger only works if there's another episode to resolve it.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Me too. The reason why I was so obsessed with DBZ and Pokemon back in the day was because they were cartoons with actual ongoing plots and continuity. That was absolutely mindblowing to me since up until then the most complicated thing I had watched was Scooby Doo.

DBZ? Definitely me as well, I mean just the part about them not getting why it wasn't doing well OUT OF ORDER makes me want to yell,p. Imagine if they did that with DBZ, training filler episode, fighting on Namek, World championship, vegeta and nappa arrive on earth..

Idiots.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Babygravy posted:

DBZ? Definitely me as well, I mean just the part about them not getting why it wasn't doing well OUT OF ORDER makes me want to yell,p. Imagine if they did that with DBZ, training filler episode, fighting on Namek, World championship, vegeta and nappa arrive on earth..

Idiots.

Well, does finally getting all the way to the Android saga and then turning on the TV the next day to catch Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz count?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Well Manicured Man posted:

Well, does finally getting all the way to the Android saga and then turning on the TV the next day to catch Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz count?

I feel this has happened to me at least twice.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hiddenriverninja posted:

I feel this has happened to me at least twice.

I never saw any part of the Buu saga after Vegeta turns to stone because I guess Toonami lost the rights then.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Well Manicured Man posted:

I visibly cringed for you.

Does this explain all the problems in your life after?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

request to move the Korra thread to ADTRW

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

icantfindaname posted:

request to move the Korra thread to ADTRW

seconded

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

thirded

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Realtalk: wondering if you guys are up for a new thread for Book 4 or not. I know this one is fresh out of the box but it's really no trouble for me either way.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I don't think it really matters, you might want to make one the day before/of the premier so that people don't need to search this thread to find where discussion for the episode(s) begins?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrAristocrates posted:

Realtalk: wondering if you guys are up for a new thread for Book 4 or not. I know this one is fresh out of the box but it's really no trouble for me either way.

Do not deprive newcomers of the fantastic goodposts that make up this glorious thread thus far.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
We'd happily welcome you in ADTRW!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

But Korra is the only "anime" I watch and I was happy that it was here in TVIV, I don't want to go to a different sub forum. I'm scared of the transition

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

But Korra is the only "anime" I watch and I was happy that it was here in TVIV, I don't want to go to a different sub forum. I'm scared of the transition

You know what Korra would say.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Korra is anime. Give in to the madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

ImpAtom posted:

You know what Korra would say.

When I get out of these chains, none of you will survive?

• Locked thread