Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I have played that. Anything else in a similar vein (tactical turn based RPG)?

You should give Divinity: Original Sin a shot. If you can relax your fantasy requirement you'll also enjoy Silent Storm, Wasteland 2 (out next week), and Shadowrun Returns. The director's cut of the Shadowrun expansion, Dragonfall, is out soon too, it will give you the (much better and completely separate) expansion without the need for the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Time to bug the poo poo out of Tekken's Harada on Twitter if you want a Xenosaga HD collection.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/11/xenosaga-hd-collection-might-possible-needs-tens-thousands-fans/

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Phantasium posted:

Time to bug the poo poo out of Tekken's Harada on Twitter if you want a Xenosaga HD collection.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/11/xenosaga-hd-collection-might-possible-needs-tens-thousands-fans/

I think I like xenosaga about as much as anyone can, and I don't think I need this.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

That reads more like a plea for the 10 or so Xenosaga fans to stop loving bothering him on Twitter rather than a call for a Xenosaga HD petition campaign.

That being said, if they were to release Xenosaga HD I'd probably buy it. Never ended up finishing it and that would be a good opportunity.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

Xenoblade exists, we can basically forget any of the other games ever happened.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

That reads more like a plea for the 10 or so Xenosaga fans to stop loving bothering him on Twitter rather than a call for a Xenosaga HD petition campaign.

That being said, if they were to release Xenosaga HD I'd probably buy it. Never ended up finishing it and that would be a good opportunity.

It really does. It was so sad to read. If for some reason they decide an HD remaster is a good idea, it'd be nice to finally have a version of Episode III that isn't censored to the point of hilarity.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd support it if only because if it actually got released outside Japan there's be a chance we'd get it in the UK unlike 2 out of the three original games. They released Xenosaga 2 here. Yes, just the second one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I kind of liked the first Xenosaga at the time, though I never finished it. Looking back it probably was just a bunch of really embarrassing overly sappy anime cutscenes, wasn't it?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

No, there was a glossary full of terms from Jungian psychology and a fanservice robot too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yasunori Mitsuda's OST was good in Episode I! Then they proceeded to make most of the dungeons completely silent and only had two battle themes, one for the final boss and one for everything else.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Episode 3 was the best, if only because the game gave up trying to be sensible or balanced in battle and just went balls-out stupid. I remember so many over the top moves, from people or robots alike. It was great. Also, the weedy scientist worked up the courage to join your team properly... as a level 1 weakling.

A shame you had to slog through everything else to have framing for it all.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Elminage Gothic just showed up for preorder on Steam, releases the 18th.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

They released Xenosaga 2 here. Yes, just the second one.

Hahaha. Man, that's even worse than games being delayed or flat out ignored in the EU. It's like someone, somewhere, sat down and said "okay, fine, you can have Xenosaga, but we're only giving you the second game in a linear story-driven series, oh and it's the worst one too, haha gently caress you"

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

iastudent posted:

I'm digging this trend of good ports from consoles to PC.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

NikkolasKing posted:

Who was everyone's favorite characters in Cross? Can be a story or gameplay thing.

I always liked Leena's character. She's not too complicated, but holy poo poo did it take some balls to go on a journey like that and stick it through.

"What's that? You say you're that dead kid but you're not dead and from another dimension? gently caress yeah, let's go beat up a space/time parasite with my wooden spoon.:c00lbert:"

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

BloodWulfe posted:

Hahaha. Man, that's even worse than games being delayed or flat out ignored in the EU. It's like someone, somewhere, sat down and said "okay, fine, you can have Xenosaga, but we're only giving you the second game in a linear story-driven series, oh and it's the worst one too, haha gently caress you"

It came with a pack in DVD of all the cutscenes from the first one, not kidding.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

wateyad posted:

It came with a pack in DVD of all the cutscenes from the first one, not kidding.

They sold that in the US, too as well. And I actually watched it whenever I was bored.

Xenosaga 3 at least had the best "final fight song but not actually"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy0jmabqwj4

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tae posted:

Way to post the wrong song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgd6t58oeQ

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

wateyad posted:

So you got about 85 percent of the first game. That's not a bad deal.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Tae posted:

They sold that in the US, too as well. And I actually watched it whenever I was bored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy0jmabqwj4

Did they sell it too? I got mine as a pre-order bonus with XS2. Eight hours of XS1 cut scenes, finally on one DVD!

They didn't bother doing it for Ep2 or Ep3.

Ep2's non-event soundtrack was a bit poo poo, but Kajiura took over the whole thing for Ep3 and there was a lot of good stuff on there. Battle of your Soul is great because it's already a really high energy boss battle theme, but it plays during your first major ES battle which is an over the top battle in space with Margulis.

U-DO Burger posted:

Way to post the wrong song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbH6DB0vW9s

All of 'em are good though.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Maybe they can Budokai it and only release Xenosaga 1 and 3.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

iastudent posted:

Never played Elminage; is there anything about it that makes it stand out from other first-person dungeon crawlers?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Rasamune posted:

Never played Elminage; is there anything about it that makes it stand out from other first-person dungeon crawlers?

They're Wizardry clones made by people who used to make Wizardry games. That's it really. That it's coming out in English is most notable thing about it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If it's any consolation, Ghostlight is handling the translation instead of what UFO did for Original on PSP, like swapping around race descriptions. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Reminder that Ghostlight managed to introduce game breaking bugs in to Devil Survivor: Overclocked just by adding 'u's and changing 'elevator' to 'lift' and took six months to fix it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

iastudent posted:

If it's any consolation, Ghostlight is handling the translation

Ghostlight are still in business?

...How are Ghostlight still in business?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

iastudent posted:

poo poo yes! Preordered! I have a soft spot for the Japanese Wiz-styled games. I love Elminage Original despite it's horrific translation. I'm surprised it's coming out so quickly, to be honest.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Ghostlight are still in business?

...How are Ghostlight still in business?

I guess they sold a lot of Agarest copies on Steam? :shrug:

TBH, I forgot about the Devil Survivor debacle.

J
Jun 10, 2001

iastudent posted:

Happy to see this. Hopefully more rpgs keep coming to steam, I'd much rather play them on PC than on a handheld.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

It really does. It was so sad to read. If for some reason they decide an HD remaster is a good idea, it'd be nice to finally have a version of Episode III that isn't censored to the point of hilarity.
How was 3 censored, anyway?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zereth posted:

They removed all the blood, which leads to silly cutscenes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Zereth posted:

The most egregious example is at the end of the game Jin gets stabbed through the back and there's supposed to be a torrent of blood, so much so that the camera lingers on his stomach where the exit wound is, except we're treated to what amounts to a glamour shot of his midsection.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zereth posted:

It's hugely spoilerific so I'll just ay that a lot of blood is censored out.

If you want the details... There is a flashback of our young main character at the side of her mother, who has been brutally torn apart by monsters and is bleeding all over the place. The blood is pooling in our heroine's hands and she is saying "I gotta put it back... I gotta put it back or mom will go away...." Only, in the censored version, she's holding nothing because the blood was edited out.

Later on when her brother dies heroically, he was stabbed a couple times rather viscerally by swords so he was bleeding all over the place too. That also was censored out. That one I didn't mind so much. Jin's death is the single most emotional part of the Trilogy.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Zereth posted:

Mostly it was edited for blood and violence. For example young Shion kneeling over her mother's body trying to stop the hemorrhaging by putting her mom's blood back in. A bunch of URTVs and Realian(s) get stabbed and hacked up too.

I don't think there was any Xenosaga 1 levels of slicing off an arm violence or weird hand probing though.

e: aw it makes me happy that other people care about Xenosaga too :) or at least know something about it I guess

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I already told that Tekken guy I will buy Xenosaga HD first day when it comes out. If it comes out.

It could happen man, it could happen! We just have to have hope.

And BloodWulfe you should check out the ongoing Xenosaga LP. There are people on here who like it! We're just tragically few in number.

Also Xenosaga III had so much good music it's crazy. We even got a great Weltall Theme.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 12, 2014

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Just wanted to break up the Xenosaga lovefest for a Lunar update. Just crushed the Blue Dragon's temple and I'm in the process of grinding my way up- I refuse to be underpowered when I get back to the final boss.

So I'm heading through the Forbidden Forest to check out the second shrine to Althena. I battle my way through some ridiculously tough enemies who don't pay off proportional XP and finally reach the shrine. Magically I was teleported back in time when no one thought twice about creepy, overly sexualized, imagery of female characters that may not be any older than 16. The anime style seems to simultaneously make it more and less acceptable, it's a cartoon- but it's also a cartoon. In fact, the more I think about the love themes behind this game the creepier the whole thing gets. Not a single relationship can really be considered healthy, even Nash and Mia have some questionable things going on.

I was reading an article today in Slate which discussed the trend in American literature where the perspective revolves around the adolescent hero. It reminded me of Lunar (Japanese I know), I'm just so sick of the idea of a 15 year old being the only one who can save the world while most of the adults are weak or the enemy. Maybe this isn't as common in modern RPGs, but good god was it the theme from like 1989-1998.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And that's Valkyria Chronicles 3 down for the count. Final mission was exhausting, though I suppose it was a lot easier once I knew what to expect.

VC3 was very much a feast or famine sort of game. Most of the game is pretty easy, especially since you now have much more control over your characters' classes and levels. And some of the ace weapons are ridiculously overpowered (one Looted Universal Turret made the Tank a veritable fortress in a camp). But I swear some missions were just beyond frustrating, and mostly boiled down to going through them over and over again so you could gradually learn all of the tricks they'd like to throw at you in a given mission.

While I still prefer the larger map sizes in VC1 (not to mention map variety), I think overall I prefer VC3's gameplay in most respects. The classes and weapons just seemed a little bit better balanced. On the other hand I think it also demands a lot more attention and time in maintaining your squad; I don't remember how many hours I sunk in VC1 but I doubt it was half of what I put into VC3 (almost 120 hours!).

All in all it was a pretty solid game and the sequel we should have gotten in the first place. Just skip 2 and go straight to this one. Although it's probably worth stating that the translation patch is sort of pathetically incomplete with no real QC done at all.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

SpitztheGreat posted:

I'm just so sick of the idea of a 15 year old being the only one who can save the world while most of the adults are weak or the enemy. Maybe this isn't as common in modern RPGs, but good god was it the theme from like 1989-1998.

I think it's less common now but mostly because of the aging of the audience. Notice too that younger/teen heroes is a staple of like, young adult (and younger) fiction in general and always has been. It's a fifteen year old who can save the world because the primary audience is around fifteen.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
While I do think that's a big part of it the Slate article does go into detail about the long history of adults reading literature that's based around adolescent protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That old fogy Cloud was 21. He should have been in a retirement home, not saving the world.