Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

but for reals. i think without shinbo and shaft the madoka animes would have been pretty mediocre.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

but for reals. i think without shinbo and shaft the madoka animes would have been pretty mediocre.

Urobutcher's description of the witch barriers was literally just 'and weird poo poo happens' so they're responsible for at least 50% of Madoka being good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

It might just be because its on youtube but that animation looks extremely choppy and bad

They're doing that dumb thing where they cut the frames to simulate CG looking like 2D anime and I hate it!!

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

When I first watched Madoka I honestly thought that I was an Urobuchi fan, but the more of his shows I watched the more I realized that I only liked Madoka for the trippy fights. Although I quite liked Fate Zero, especially considering how stupid the premise of the series is.

Anyway, is that new movie of his about people trapped in a VR world? That would make it the only legit use of 3D animation in anime I've seen up to now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Absolutely, which is evident in that the third movie is the best madoka media and it is 100% due to the visual construction and very little to do with urobochi's writing

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

aers posted:

The movie bombed in theaters, the BD is coming out Nov 12.

How come?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Failed to introduce an older brother (non-blood related) and not enough panty shots, I assume.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Davincie posted:

How come?

King Records failed to promote it well and set an opening date nearly 2 years after the TV series stopped airing. They didn't get a lot of theatres either. Just really mind-boggling decisions from them.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Some more trailers.

Inou Battle Within Everyday Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEeVqJjjIQ

A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRMH7bapwY

Gugure! Kokkuri-san
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_QEl12Qc8

Sora no Method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgChkk7AqCY

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Snow Halation posted:

Some more trailers.

Inou Battle Within Everyday Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEeVqJjjIQ

life fibers confirmed

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Srice posted:

They're doing that dumb thing where they cut the frames to simulate CG looking like 2D anime and I hate it!!

Or maybe it's because they don't have enough money/staff to put a crazy amount of animation in every scene, so they cut down on the FPS to hide that some?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Hace posted:

Or maybe it's because they don't have enough money/staff to put a crazy amount of animation in every scene, so they cut down on the FPS to hide that some?

Except that you should be able to do perfectly smooth animation by letting the computer interpolate the motion for you. Only an idiot would arrange a scene frame by frame when they have more advanced animation software at their disposal. *cough* RWBY *cough*

It's basically the difference between a machinima made in Gary's Mod and a properly made animation using Source Filmmaker.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I have no basis in fact in what they're using to animate but shouldn't it actauly be harder to emulate 8/16/24 FPS filming with CG?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

I have no basis in fact in what they're using to animate but shouldn't it actauly be harder to emulate 8/16/24 FPS filming with CG?

This looks more like they animated the keyframes, and then let the machine interpolate up to the desired frame rate, probably using straight motion arcs etc. without consideration of the 12 rules.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pandaK posted:

life fibers confirmed

I'm hoping the Inou battle thing turns out to be good. I read the first chapter of the manga a while back, and while I love the premise (kids get superpowers but then just have a normal slice of life show with them), the main character seems massively irritating.

I think I heard somewhere that Kill La Kill didn't make Trigger as much money as you might think? If that's so, they could be in hot water if something bombs, as a young studio. That's probably why they're doing an adaptation of an existing property in the bread-and-butter club activity SoL genre.

The trailer there makes me feel more hopeful, at least. The animation looks good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bakanogami posted:

I'm hoping the Inou battle thing turns out to be good. I read the first chapter of the manga a while back, and while I love the premise (kids get superpowers but then just have a normal slice of life show with them), the main character seems massively irritating.

I think I heard somewhere that Kill La Kill didn't make Trigger as much money as you might think? If that's so, they could be in hot water if something bombs, as a young studio. That's probably why they're doing an adaptation of an existing property in the bread-and-butter club activity SoL genre.

The trailer there makes me feel more hopeful, at least. The animation looks good.

Zorak mentioned that KLK performed poorly which seems crazy to me because of its apparent popularity stateside but maybe the Japanese market didn't love it and all that really matters are those blu ray sales. How did KLK end up selling in Japan?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

KLK went from great to meh after the second half. Similar to Attack on Titan. Watching those two shows was depressing. Always hoping for the show to get better again and then disappointments until the end.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Bakanogami posted:

It's a bit complicated to say "Kill La Kill didn't make Trigger as much money" because of circumstances and how original shows tend to be structured committee-wise. While Trigger (and series composer Kazuki Nakashima) are credited as the original creators, giving them a bit of every piece of merchandise/rights, they are a subdivision of Ultra Super Pictures (funded by Good Smile, Max Factory, Bushiroad, nitroplus, and pixiv), which served on the production committee for KLK instead of Trigger. Money that the parent company earns through merchandise will go to the companies part of USP (Sanzigen, Trigger, Ordet, Liden Films) outside of what the parent companies get.

In short, Trigger, being a sub-part of a giant company that partially funded the show (Aniplex put in more than anyone else), gets what the company gives back via contracts and a piece of royalties from everything from figures to discs to international rights. Aniplex got the disc revenue due to being the "selling company" determining what goes on the discs, but shared that with USP and the other committee members. Given that they used under 10 volumes for a 24-26 episode series and averaged 11k "sold" (estimates by Oricon do not tell how much retailers bought, which is much more important and something usually not public), it's profitable, but not a giant hit like Aniplex of Japan wanted.

Other situations where you have original shows tend to have the studio as either the original creator and/or on the committee themselves. For example, Sunrise's robot shows tend to have the studio do both, but Bandai Visual (video distribution part of the Bandai group) usually (but not always) funds the majority of the show, so they get a lot back as well.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Zorak mentioned that KLK performed poorly which seems crazy to me because of its apparent popularity stateside but maybe the Japanese market didn't love it and all that really matters are those blu ray sales. How did KLK end up selling in Japan?

It's averaging over 10,000 per volume. In other words, really well. Like in the Top 10 for the year.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

do the studios and committees and all that stuff that goes into producing animes even care what is popular outside of japan? i wouldnt think that they do

----------------

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ultimatemegax posted:

Other situations where you have original shows tend to have the studio as either the original creator and/or on the committee themselves. For example, Sunrise's robot shows tend to have the studio do both, but Bandai Visual (video distribution part of the Bandai group) usually (but not always) funds the majority of the show, so they get a lot back as well.

How much does it matter in this case (given that Sunrise is part of the Bandai group)?

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

do the studios and committees and all that stuff that goes into producing animes even care what is popular outside of japan? i wouldnt think that they do
Generally no. You may get some committees adapting something that the Western audience would like (Marvel, Space Dandy), but those tend to have bigger money coming in advance than the typical production. When looking at who buys imported material from Japan, you have double the market in Asia than in Europe (North America/Australia weren't mentioned) even though anime is a much lower percentage than other shows. Additionally, when NA licensors can pay 25k or as low as 1k per episode on a show that takes 100k to make, it's easy to see that they're not using the NA market to make back their money.

aers posted:

How much does it matter in this case (given that Sunrise is part of the Bandai group)?

It's subdivisions within a giant group and should be noted as such. Each subdivision is trying to earn profit for themselves. While connections between the two are easier to make, it's not one big pot that everyone's contributing to. Similar things occur with Kadokawa and their different publishing companies/subdivisions that they've bought. Each one remains separate, but they're all part of the Kadokawa group (and now labeled as such, leading to confusion in NA).

ultimatemegax fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 12, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ultimatemegax posted:

Generally no. You may get some committees adapting something that the Western audience would like (Marvel, Space Dandy), but those tend to have bigger money coming in advance than the typical production. When looking at who buys imported material from Japan, you have double the market in Asia than in Europe (North America/Australia weren't mentioned) even though anime is a much lower percentage than other shows. Additionally, when NA licensors can pay 25k or as low as 1k per episode on a show that takes 100k to make, it's easy to see that they're not using the NA market to make back their money.

if it is that cheap to license a show why do they even let a company like crunchyroll stream their stuff? is it because they can just send a copy of the show and be done? i guess getting a thousand bucks just to send a dvd to someone is easy money.

----------------

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

if it is that cheap to license a show why do they even let a company like crunchyroll stream their stuff? is it because they can just send a copy of the show and be done? i guess getting a thousand bucks just to send a dvd to someone is easy money.

It's some money coming back to them for rights and if it's popular enough (see Funi/Viz titles and some of the other companies) they'll get royalty payments above that amount. It also helps fight against piracy to have it available streaming legally (though it'll never get rid of it entirely). Additionally, you'll see some Japanese companies get that amount twice (once from Sentai and once from Crunchy for simulcasting to a larger area), so it can be better.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

It's selling good as Snow Hatalion indicated, but my understanding was they kind of expected it to sell better? I could have sworn I read something on the subject but I'm honestly having trouble finding it again so I may just be misremembering this entire thing due to sheer Internet.

If it's anything like how DVD licensing works, there's a lot of package deals involved. I'm not sure how the actual monetization works though in terms of profit share; has Crunchyroll ever said anything about how this program works?

Zorak fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 12, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All Crunchyroll has said is that a proportion of ad and subscription revinue goes back to the licensor, and when you have a subscription a portion of your subscription is handed off to a publisher based on minutes viewed. (source) They're hush hush about this for obvious reasons. I assume there's minimums in place as well, like there's a minimum amount of money the show will make, and anything else is bonus.

Crunchyroll's biggest gain is in combatting piracy (notice that when several important piracy hubs went offline due to a DDOS a few weeks ago, no one cared) and increasing the reach of anime overseas. I doubt we'd have seen things like the revival of Toonami or Netflix dubbing their own anime if Crunchyroll hadn't shown that there still was a market.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zorak posted:

It's selling good as Snow Hatalion indicated, but my understanding was they kind of expected it to sell better? I could have sworn I read something on the subject but I'm honestly having trouble finding it again so I may just be misremembering this entire thing due to sheer Internet.

So it's a Tomb Raider situation where objectively, it's selling pretty drat well, but the maker just had really high expectations for it?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

darkgray posted:

Trailer for Urobuchi's new 3DCG movie thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExufsWmrMeA
oh no i didnt know this was cg

i bet that older mentor guy dies by the end

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Zorak posted:

Aniplex of Japan has used 10+ volumes for 2-cour shows as opposed to 8-9 volumes that the other distributors use in the past. SAO and KLK were rare in that Aniplex chose to use 9 volumes, indicating they felt that the additional sales of the other 9 would override the lack of an additional volume. We don't really know how many they produced and sold to retailers, but the amounts that Oricon say (if we assume they're accurate) would be good enough to have justified it due to very stable productions unlike some of the other 10-11 volume shows.

It might be somewhat accurate to say the disc sales underperformed, but there's so much more out there that any disappointment is counterbalanced by merch from the USP sponsors.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How well did Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt sell? Could some of the "underperforming" be based on the fact that they expected Imaishi's name (along with some of the staff's "pedigree") to boost the sales of KLK?

aers posted:

The movie bombed in theaters, the BD is coming out Nov 12.

drat shame to read this. I thought the series was a combination of fun :3: moments with a dose of :black101: and it somehow made sense.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Wark Say posted:

How well did Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt sell? Could some of the "underperforming" be based on the fact that they expected Imaishi's name (along with some of the staff's "pedigree") to boost the sales of KLK?

TTGL's average was like 21k off the top of my head. TTGL was also a Sunday morning kids show so its kind of odd (for clarification, it aired in a timeslot directly opposing Precure). I don't think PS&G sold well but I don't remember.

Wark Say posted:

drat shame to read this. I thought the series was a combination of fun :3: moments with a dose of :black101: and it somehow made sense.

Yeah it owns and it sucks we're never gonna get all the wacky poo poo in the later LNs adapted.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

aers posted:

TTGL's average was like 21k off the top of my head. TTGL was also a Sunday morning kids show so its kind of odd (for clarification, it aired in a timeslot directly opposing Precure). I don't think PS&G sold well but I don't remember.

TTGL: Funded mostly by TV Tokyo and Dentsu (TV station/advertising group), so disc sales were icing on the cake. It "sold" 20,050 units on average. (note: Oricon's tracking is spotty around this time. They didn't capture half of what Kadokawa shipped for Haruhi the year prior)

PS&G: Funded mostly by Kadokawa Shoten's video division. It "sold" around 2k on BD (at 9,200 yen apiece for 6 volumes) with DVDs not ranking at Oricon. While it's not awful, the increase in price helped balance it out to some extent.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

ultimatemegax posted:

TTGL: Funded mostly by TV Tokyo and Dentsu (TV station/advertising group), so disc sales were icing on the cake. It "sold" 20,050 units on average. (note: Oricon's tracking is spotty around this time. They didn't capture half of what Kadokawa shipped for Haruhi the year prior)

PS&G: Funded mostly by Kadokawa Shoten's video division. It "sold" around 2k on BD (at 9,200 yen apiece for 6 volumes) with DVDs not ranking at Oricon. While it's not awful, the increase in price helped balance it out to some extent.

Where do you find this enigmatic funded by data?

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

darkgray posted:

Where do you find this enigmatic funded by data?

It's the list of the production committee (TTGL credited as: 製作 - テレビ東京、電通、アニプレックス、KDE-J (TV Tokyo, Dentsu, Aniplex, Konami), PS&G credited as 製作 - PSG製作委員会 (PSG Production committee; I had to look up the people responsible via earlier credits as producer or production)). The higher you are on the list, the more money you put in.

For TTGL, you have three producers which correspond to TV Tokyo, Dentsu, and Aniplex's music division. The show also only aired on TV Tokyo affiliated stations in 2007, indicative that they funded the majority of it. Thus the ratings and ad revenue mattered more than video disc sales (which prompted Aniplex to lead two movie committees)

For Panty, Stocking, and Garterbelt, you have two planners that work for Kadokawa's video division and Gainax alongside other production members which meant those two funded the majority of production (since they planned what to do).

That's how we find out who funds shows and how they best earn back the production costs.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

http://youtu.be/Jkq3qLNpltw

PV for Ore Twintail. It doesn't look as trashy as I feared, and the villain is apparently a big toku looking guy with monster minions and combatants.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

PV for Ore Twintail. It doesn't look as trashy as I feared, and the villain is apparently a big toku looking guy with monster minions and combatants.

Holy poo poo! I never knew that Arthur's voice could be used for evil! :allears:

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Potsticker posted:

That actually looks like it could be silly fun, as long as it doesn't get fanservicey.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Snow Halation posted:

That actually looks like it could be silly fun, as long as it doesn't get fanservicey.

My expectations were low at first, but that video gave me hope that it will be a fun show. Especially compared to the similar-ish Cross Ange which I fully expect to drop after the first episode.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Potsticker posted:

My expectations were low at first, but that video gave me hope that it will be a fun show. Especially compared to the similar-ish Cross Ange which I fully expect to drop after the first episode.

Ugh, the only remotely decent thing I've seen come out of that one is a robot design that looks like fantasy Revolver Guncannon:

Edit: It just needs a cowboy hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

John Carstairs posted:

Edit: It just needs a cowboy hat.

Yeah, that one is pretty cool. I sort of like the hood ornament on the main robot's head as well. It's too bad the pilot suits are all fetishy along with the lineup of pilots. And a robot maid or something thrown in.

• Locked thread