Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'd be concerned if someone dedicated their gravy train ride to a sport and still sucked rear end at it.

To be fair to the guy, he has been doing it since 1993. Well before Sarah Palin was even a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Snow-machine

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I just got home from work and saw this article on TPM about Ted Cruz being booed right the gently caress off stage and getting indignant at an "In Defense of Christians" summit for leaders in the Arab Christian set:

Talking Points Memo posted:

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) walked off the stage Wednesday night after being jeered by an audience of Arab Christians he had challenged to "stand with Israel."

Cruz declared that "Christians have no greater ally than Israel" during his keynote address at a summit in Washington, D.C. hosted by the nonprofit group In Defense of Christians, according to the Daily Star, a Lebanese English-language newspaper. He began by emphasizing the need to defend Christians in the Middle East against terrorism and unite Christians and Jews.

“Tonight, we are all united in defense of Christians. Tonight, we are all united in defense of Jews,” he said, according the newspaper. “Together, against those who would persecute and murder those who dare disagree with their religious teachings.”

As the crowd began to turn against the Texas senator, he said, “If you hate the Jewish people, you are not reflecting the teachings of Christ.”

The article goes on to say that there were people there who had ties to Hezbollah and Ted Cruz knew that going in but still condemned them in the same breath with ISIS. The whole thing looks embarrassing on the surface but Ted Cruz seems like he doesn't interface with shame on a human level. It seems plausible that he intentionally provoked the crowd so he could grandstand about Israel. But why?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Because video of Ted Cruz getting booed by a group full of Arabs for boosting Israel will play really well among his base.

It doesn't matter that they're Christian Arabs, or that him bringing up Israel had nothing to do with anything. The takeaway for the target audience will be "Ted Cruz booed by brown people for telling them not to hate Israel."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Because video of Ted Cruz getting booed by a group full of Arabs for boosting Israel will play really well among his base.

It doesn't matter that they're Christian Arabs, or that him bringing up Israel had nothing to do with anything. The takeaway for the target audience will be "Ted Cruz booed by brown people for telling them not to hate Israel."

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?194867-Ted-Cruz-booed-off-stage-while-defending-Israel-by-Christians

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Holy poo poo is it depressing when I'm right.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

put a kettle on posted:

The article goes on to say that there were people there who had ties to Hezbollah and Ted Cruz knew that going in but still condemned them in the same breath with ISIS. The whole thing looks embarrassing on the surface but Ted Cruz seems like he doesn't interface with shame on a human level. It seems plausible that he intentionally provoked the crowd so he could grandstand about Israel. But why?

To garner support from nutbags. Why does he do anything?

To get money from scum like this:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Don't touch the poop, don't touch the poop, don't touch the poop...

quote:

Ted Cruz seems to be a good man. I wouldn't mind it a bit if he were our next President.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

To garner support from nutbags. Why does he do anything?

To get money from scum like this:

He knows that most people who support the GOP can not comprehend that anyone of Arab descent could possibly be Christian.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

radical meme posted:

He knows that most people who support the GOP can not comprehend that anyone of Arab descent could possibly be Christian.

I think that GOPers know there are Arab Christians; they get trotted out when they want to say that Christians are the most persecuted religion in the world when some get killed in the Middle East. However like most things their racism trumps religious camaraderie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Don't touch the poop, don't touch the poop, don't touch the poop...

That poo poo depresses me. I am pretty sure ted is a sociopath on some level and its depressing that these people are so deep into their religion that they cant see they are being played. but this brings up another question. do you think legit believes any of the hard social right poo poo, i only ask because it obvious his dad is big social conservative nut and it makes me wonder how much rubbed off on him.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pengun101 posted:

Its depressing that these people are so deep into their religion that they cant see they are being played.

You say that like it's not a trait that shysters, televangelists, and revival preachers bank on.

Quite procreating all over my culture!

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

pengun101 posted:

That poo poo depresses me. I am pretty sure ted is a sociopath on some level and its depressing that these people are so deep into their religion that they cant see they are being played. but this brings up another question. do you think legit believes any of the hard social right poo poo, i only ask because it obvious his dad is big social conservative nut and it makes me wonder how much rubbed off on him.

Cruz cares a lot more about power and fame than he does about anything else, I reckon.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Why is Reagan praised for an unemployment rate of 7% five and a half years into his presidency, but Obama is castigated for an unemployment rate of 6.1% five and a half years into his presidency?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Because we are in a post fact society.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Why is Reagan praised for an unemployment rate of 7% five and a half years into his presidency, but Obama is castigated for an unemployment rate of 6.1% five and a half years into his presidency?

Democrat bad?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why is Reagan praised for an unemployment rate of 7% five and a half years into his presidency, but Obama is castigated for an unemployment rate of 6.1% five and a half years into his presidency? not known for being executed by firing squad after his treason trial for selling weapons to an enemy government?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Because no senior official of the United States government will ever have to worry about facing jail time, let alone the death sentence, no matter what crime they commit.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

VitalSigns posted:

You say that like it's not a trait that shysters, televangelists, and revival preachers bank on.

Quite procreating all over my culture!

And walking all over my beloved corps!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ninjasaurus posted:

Because no senior official of the United States government will ever have to worry about facing jail time, let alone the death sentence, no matter what crime they commit.

I've sometimes wondered how far they'll take that. It's clear that doing traitorous or illegal things won't get you in trouble but that can often be spun as "making hard choices for the good of the country" or whatever and the next guy doesn't want to deal with the flak of not pardoning that. However what if someone just straight up murdered a guy in plain sight? I think it would be 50/50 considering Cheney almost committed manslaughter and the other guy apologized to him.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Just let Obama get caught with a young white intern, then you'll see some justice brought down on a high ranking official.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As a senator he was caught blowing a white dude and that didn't sink his career.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I love the Drudge Report

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

As a senator he was caught blowing a white dude and that didn't sink his career.

Um, what?

Moonswamp
Feb 14, 2012
[quote="VitalSigns" post="434763820"]

I can't help it but all I see is Chris Chan whenever this photo pops up.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
My favorite Ted Cruz thing is still the article about his college days: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/19/ted-cruz-at-princeton-creepy-sometimes-well-liked-and-exactly-the-same.html

quote:

In addition to Mazin and Leitch, several fellow classmates who asked that their names not be used described the young Cruz with words like “abrasive,” "intense," “strident,” “crank,” and “arrogant." Four independently offered the word “creepy,” with some pointing to Cruz’s habit of donning a paisley bathrobe and walking to the opposite end of their dorm’s hallway where the female students lived.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Why is Reagan praised?

There you go.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

http://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2012/04/16/sinclair-i-performed-oral-sex-and-smoked-coke-with-obama/

Educate yourself!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I suspect part of the reason for Reagan worship is that you have to all the way back to Eisenhower to find another Republican president that wasn't single term, (Ford, Bush 41) or disgraced somehow (Nixon, Bush 43). And by modern standards Eisenhower is a RINO, so you'd have to go back to Hoover... He is really the only option for deification.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what the gently caress? why do these people lie about this poo poo. its not even getting mainstream attention. i assume its just to jerk off the base.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The best part happens when you follow the link to the original story.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Ninjasaurus posted:

Cruz cares a lot more about power and fame than he does about anything else, I reckon.

I still don't think you can go for it as hard as he does without being a True Believer.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

deoju posted:

I suspect part of the reason for Reagan worship is that you have to all the way back to Eisenhower to find another Republican president that wasn't single term, (Ford, Bush 41) or disgraced somehow (Nixon, Bush 43). And by modern standards Eisenhower is a RINO, so you'd have to go back to Hoover... He is really the only option for deification.

Reagan was something of a god figure for conservatives before he even became President, too.

The deification of W was a work in progress as well but the recession was such a catastrophic end note that it isn't feasible currently.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

pengun101 posted:

what the gently caress? why do these people lie about this poo poo. its not even getting mainstream attention. i assume its just to jerk off the base.

You don't think it's plausible Obama carries a crackpipe around everywhere he goes?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Man, if I was Obama I'd be all over Sinclair. Just look at those muscles. :swoon:

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010

Xibanya posted:

My question is, why aren't big money lobbyists from insurance buying off right-wingers? The ACA is just a big funnel of money right to them. Or is it that big pharma or whatever has deeper pockets?

This is a little bit of a derail but insurance companies have absolutely been lobbying since the beginning. Remember when Rick Scott was considered a leading figure among governors against the Medicaid expansion until suddenly he supported it?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

Not entirely. The cockpit door is now armored, and locked during flight.

That's kinda it. It actually does help prevent a hijacking.
Don't forget about the pilots with guns.
The folks on the DEN-CLT US Airways flight certainly won't.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

pengun101 posted:

You don't have a lucky crack pipe?

moller fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 12, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Radish posted:

I think that GOPers know there are Arab Christians; they get trotted out when they want to say that Christians are the most persecuted religion in the world when some get killed in the Middle East. However like most things their racism trumps religious camaraderie.

I'll play devils advocate (sort of) and say it's more religious than racial. When they say "Christian" they mean "ultra-zealous, ultra-protestant nut". Orthodox Arab Christians who dislike Israel for its treatment of their Arab compatriots are pretty much 100% alien to people like Cruz. I think he would have the same reaction to most European Catholics

Now, ultra-protestant nutjob foreigners get along very well with people like Cruz. Christians in a lot of the world who were converted by protestant/mormon missionaries fit in that category. Places like Africa, Asia, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

That Cruz is Southern Baptist, which is weird, it is probably safe to say that liturgical Christianity, let alone Middle Eastern Christianity, might as well be aliens from another planet to him.