Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

Pretty much every game that has a big battle going on does stuff like this. To me the most impressive was when Kingdom Hearts 2 managed to have you fight through a thousand enemies in one fight. It probably used the same method for the most part, but I'm not sure.
I remember being awed at one of the Lego Star Wars game re-releases in which they had that huge-rear end fight scene in the arena in the movie perfectly represented with the little lego guys. Being able to mow through an entire crowd of droids without any framerate hitches at all was really cool to me even though lego dudes aren't really that detailed to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
The Total War games do this too, since those games are about thousands of units.

You can see this when you zoom out and the 3D models are replaced by 2D versions if they're far away enough. In Medieval:TW you can often see this very well, because the colours of the units are slightly different in 2D. In Napoleon:TW 2D cavalry units animated badly and it would often appear that the horses were skating.

Half Life 2 has an npc model used only for people in the distance. You can see it up close with Garry's Mod. It has black pits for eyes.

Edit: here's a picture of that npc next to a regular one:

Stick Insect has a new favorite as of 12:10 on Sep 11, 2014

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I still don't know how the hell they made the Mardi Gras level in Hitman: Blood Money on the PS2. It ran perfectly on my lovely PC at the time, too. The crowd was just as detailed as other characters in the game (though they lacked ragdolls) with AI and everything.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
There's a presentation somewhere that Valve did on the development of Left 4 Dead that went into some detail about how they used various tricks to reduce the memory required to handle all those zombie models and still have them all look different and I suspect that other games with crowd scenes used the same basic ideas.

I thought it was here but it isn't. It does have a bunch of other interesting stuff on L4D and other games and this has some of the info but not all of it.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

MissEchelon posted:

Nah he met Flinty in the Transvaal goldfields, before he went to Australia.

Oh yeah you are right, he tried to steal Scrooges lion when Scrooge caught up to him.
My mistake.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

WirelessPillow posted:

Oh yeah you are right, he tried to steal Scrooges lion when Scrooge caught up to him.
My mistake.
Nah, he tried to get a rifle from the cart he had stolen from Scrooge in the veld earlier. The lion Scrooge rode into town on had been taken to the same stable and proceeded to maul the gently caress out of old Flinty (in a completely family-friendly manner, of course), and the fact Flinty looked like a giant chicken after being tarred and feathered probably didn't help him.

Basically, The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck owns, and here in Finland we take our duck comics seriously. :goonsay:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Stare-Out posted:

I still don't know how the hell they made the Mardi Gras level in Hitman: Blood Money on the PS2. It ran perfectly on my lovely PC at the time, too. The crowd was just as detailed as other characters in the game (though they lacked ragdolls) with AI and everything.

One of the cleverest render-savers I've seen was in Torchlight 2, which basically cut every polygon it could. There is one area taking place in an industrialised steampunk fantasy-Arabian citadel thing, and there are giant cogwheels lying on the ground here and there. The cogs are represented by stacks of surprisingly few flat polygons with the same texture on each layer. It means that they basically use twelve polygons to represent a 3D model of a gear. Since the game uses a fixed camera angle and distance, you only notice if you zoom in. Stunning work.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Stare-Out posted:

That I can explain the crowds are actually just particles like snow effects in first person game, that are rendered in 3D as 47 moves through the crowd they simply inch/edge out of the way and once poo poo goes off they have another "mode" which is panic and run away and gradually the corwd thins to nothing. Its loving genius really takes almost no memory to run if all the "characters" rendered on screen have no AI other than flow or run.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, I thought it would be something clever like that. It's still pretty impressive playing the HD version too. Obviously Absolution has it beat by miles with the Chinatown and Chicago levels, for instance.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Pretty much every game that has a big battle going on does stuff like this. To me the most impressive was when Kingdom Hearts 2 managed to have you fight through a thousand enemies in one fight. It probably used the same method for the most part, but I'm not sure.

You know, that game is really old by now, and I'm still amazed by some of the things they pulled off. It runs super-smooth, and everything gets truly gigantic in scale. Pride Lands had a highly mobile boss that was bigger than entire game worlds. The final boss had you throwing around buildings. And while the cartoon-y style probably helped with that, the sheer range and quality of the animations was incredible! And, yes, the 1000 Heartless battle! Say what you will about the game's actual quality, but it sure was impressive from a technical perspective. It really goes on to show just how much you can do with cartoon/anime aesthetics.

Why yes, I skipped every single cutscene, why do you ask

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

Only game I've ever had to do that to is Valkyria Chronicles. I adore the combat strategy gameplay but dear god even as someone who at one point loved anime that poo poo is just garbage to the worst degree.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Part of the fun of that game was drinking a shot every time someone mentioned hearts or darkness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzxQ61b-gOo

I'm pretty sure the script for that game had some kind of glitch that inserted the word 'dark' into every sentence.

edit: After a while it just starts to sound like "dart miss".

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

CJacobs posted:

I'm pretty sure the script for that game had some kind of glitch that inserted the word 'dark' into every sentence.

dark mist

dog miss

dart ness

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Farecoal posted:

dark mist

dog miss

dart ness

dog piss

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

NHL 15 is uh.... special

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I learned the ability to teleport in Dead Rising 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCQmqLP_uC8

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Haruharuharuko posted:

NHL 15 is uh.... special

That's actually based on mocap of a lone Senators fan sitting in the Anaheim section.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I've never played that game, but this is extremely hilarious.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mickey Mouse yammering on to an anime about the darkest darkness inside of you is probably the funniest/stupidest thing to be in a video game.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Mickey Mouse yammering on to an anime about the darkest darkness inside of you is probably the funniest/stupidest thing to be in a video game.

darkness dark darkest darkness dark dark darknest dorknest dorkest, dork dark, im gay

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

You know if you catch a player you get to keep them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not even the first time that player has been launched into a crowd.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's Crosby, he's just embellishing. :v:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfuY93MqqbE

Learn to sell, Werdum. :argh:

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Here's EA's response to the launcher glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c071yZBOfQ

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Here's EA's response to the launcher glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c071yZBOfQ

EA's pretty cool about admitting to glitches, they did a similar video for a Tiger Woods Game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1st1Vw2kY

Paume
Jun 8, 2008

:commissar:

Haruharuharuko posted:

NHL 15 is uh.... special

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
http://gfycat.com/RemorsefulVastBinturong

Forgall has a new favorite as of 12:31 on Sep 15, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

That is truly the shittiest boss ever conceived.

One LP I saw of it, Silver caught them midair and sent them straight up, then just caught them again on the way down. Motherfucker is ruthless.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

One LP I saw of it, Silver caught them midair and sent them straight up, then just caught them again on the way down. Motherfucker is ruthless.
That's also good*, but here it's even funnier because the last ring he has just keeps bouncing off the wall too and being reabsorbed, and he eventually escapes.

*bad

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The key to Silver is not to jump. Slide into him when he picks up stuff if you want to be safe.

Homing attacks are much more accurate though, but you need to do it twice, once at him and another away, if you goof up and accidentally home in on him again, your dead.

With Sonic, once you get the whirlwind attack, you can simply spam him with it to get an easy S rank.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

scarycave posted:

The key to Silver is not to jump. Slide into him when he picks up stuff if you want to be safe.

Homing attacks are much more accurate though, but you need to do it twice, once at him and another away, if you goof up and accidentally home in on him again, your dead.

With Sonic, once you get the whirlwind attack, you can simply spam him with it to get an easy S rank.

The only winning move is not to play Sonic 06.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Sonic 06 is just the rudest loving game. If one defines a glitch as "unintended behavior in a program", the entire game is a glitch because I don't think the developers bothered with such a concept. It's more like a long series of awful things in a sequence.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Got a weird one in Fallout 3 recently (I know surprise, surprise). I went up to search a clearly dead molerat and kept getting the message "molerat is fleeing." It was most definitely dead, not just unconscious so I don't know what the hell happened. I also got a yao guai flying into space with spindly spaghetti limbs, an invisible yao guai blocking the entrance to a vault and a friendly giant radscorpion all in the same session. :v:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

scarycave posted:

Why do you know pro tips for Sonic 2006

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

HMS Boromir posted:

It's like knowing the best way to shove slivers of glass under your fingernails. If you have to do it, do it right.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

HMS Boromir posted:

You can never know true happiness without plunging yourself into utter despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HMS Boromir posted:

I dunno if I'd call them pro tips so much as it is learning how to play that broken mess of a game. When you fight Silver over and over again, you tend to pick up patterns and realize the best way to murder him before he throws you back and forth like a yo yo.