Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

Oh sure, Nintendo. Give me 599 points for redeeming free games like Wind Waker and NSMBU but I guess that extra 29 points on a SNES game is too much. :argh:

You'd probably get reduced points on those too if you redeemed the download codes when the games were on sale on the eShop. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

They can all be digital, actually. :v:

Ok, what am I missing? The two non-digital ones I meant were the DS games, that afaik aren't available on the 3DS eShop.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Froist posted:

Ok, what am I missing? The two non-digital ones I meant were the DS games, that afaik aren't available on the 3DS eShop.

Oh my bad then! I forgot about Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks! Never mind what I said!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Wand of Gamelon, Faces of Evil, Zelda's Adventure.

Tetra's Trackers. :colbert:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dont forget the Tingle games and Link's Crossbow Training.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bought basically everything on the Wii U sale, whyyyyyyyyy Nintendo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

irlZaphod posted:

Dont forget the Tingle games and Link's Crossbow Training.

I own Tingle's Balloon Fight, I wish all Tingle games came out here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How do the Oracle games hold up? I played them when they first came out 13 years ago and remember having fun with them (holy poo poo that was that long ago?) buy I'm going to have a lot of new stuff to play when this sale is over, to say nothing of the game it's actually leading up to. Are they worth revisiting on the cheap?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 11, 2014

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I tried replaying Seasons sometime about a year ago or so and lost interest after a while. I don't really think the dungeon designs hold up as much as I'd like them to. Also the dungeon tunes for both Seasons and Ages all range from "okay at best" to "atrocious" mostly because the track loops are so short and you hear them for so long.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Kaubocks posted:

I tried replaying Seasons sometime about a year ago or so and lost interest after a while. I don't really think the dungeon designs hold up as much as I'd like them to. Also the dungeon tunes for both Seasons and Ages all range from "okay at best" to "atrocious" mostly because the track loops are so short and you hear them for so long.

This was my experience trying to play Oracle of Seasons last year, as well.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Fine, I'm taking the plunge on KI:Uprising, this better be as good as every goon is saying.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kid Icarus: Uprising is not only one of the best 3DS games but also just straight up one of my favorite games. If the controls were just a tiny more accessible then most people would agree.

The only real gripe I have with the game is they introduce so many villains that a few of them don't get as much screen time as I wish they did.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

Kid Icarus: Uprising is not only one of the best 3DS games but also just straight up one of my favorite games. If the controls were just a tiny more accessible then most people would agree.

The only real gripe I have with the game is they introduce so many villains that a few of them don't get as much screen time as I wish they did.

Controls seems to be the major issue, yeah.
Beat the first mission, went back on intensity 5 to see what's behind that door, and got my rear end kicked. I just couldnt get behind that tank.
Dodging, in particular, is tricky.

But otherwise, it seems a really fun game, I'm going to go through a bit of the story on normal difficulty before attempting any higher-intensity shenanigans.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What are the control "issues"? Didn't it come with a stand or something for a while?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I found the multitude of villains to really fit in with the "saturday morning cartoon" motif the whole game had going on. All of the characters were bickering and arguing with each other through the entire game - I don't think you could have fit more character-building into that game if you tried.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I wish there was a demo of Kid Icarus. That's a good price but the game seems awkward to play.

Next week's Pokemon/Samus/Trainer/Mii looks like a dud. I will hold out hope for $25 Kirby Triple Deluxe in 2 weeks.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

C-Euro posted:

What are the control "issues"? Didn't it come with a stand or something for a while?
The control issue usually stems from a lot of people not really understanding it. The idea is that you're supposed to treat the touch screen like a track ball-- you put down your stylus, flick the screen, then place your stylus back on the screen to stop the reticle from moving. A lot of people just treated it as a 1:1 aiming system and not only does that get exhausting fast, but you are constantly pressing down on the touch screen while trying to support the 3DS with one hand (because most people don't want to use the stand or rest the 3DS in their lap, apparently).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Turning the sensitivity up helps as well, but it is an undeniably awkward control scheme until you get used to it and play for a while. Also you may not have found your favorite weapon type yet. (Protip: Cannons suuuuuuuuck uugghhhhh)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am left-handed and if I try to play Kid Icarus on higher difficulties my hand is going to be hosed something fierce. It's a super cool game, but god drat is the control scheme a bitch. I wish they'd just port it to the Wii U or something where I have two sticks.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'd kill for a Kid Icarus U but the team disbanded after making the game so I doubt it'll ever happen. :(

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
$25, huh? Maybe it's time I finally saw what all the commotion about KI:U is about.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I wonder if, with the New 3DS, we'll get Kid Icarus: Uprising - New Play Control :v:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I am left-handed and if I try to play Kid Icarus on higher difficulties my hand is going to be hosed something fierce. It's a super cool game, but god drat is the control scheme a bitch. I wish they'd just port it to the Wii U or something where I have two sticks.
I felt the same way. drat righties.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Turning the sensitivity up helps as well, but it is an undeniably awkward control scheme until you get used to it and play for a while. Also you may not have found your favorite weapon type yet. (Protip: Cannons suuuuuuuuck uugghhhhh)

I have a friend who loves Cannons and I think he's a weirdo

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I got a great twinbellows cannon early on and it was awesome for many, many chapters. Weapons vary considerably even within a class.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Also, I've been playing Pokemon Battle Trozei and I'd just like to note that whoever came up with this level where your board is entirely made of different Unown is a sadist and I hate them.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Chronojam posted:

I got a great twinbellows cannon early on and it was awesome for many, many chapters. Weapons vary considerably even within a class.

This is very true and is one of the many things that makes the game so charming.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Has anyone tried to use a Wii U controller stand for Kid Icarus? I keep my 3DS sitting around in the extra stand that came with my Wii U and it looks similar to the stand that comes with the game.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Played the first three levels of KI:U and it's super fun. I can feel it in my left wrist, though. I'll probably need to prop my 3DS up on something or I'll wind up with Sakurai hands.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Suspicious Cook posted:

Played the first three levels of KI:U and it's super fun. I can feel it in my left wrist, though. I'll probably need to prop my 3DS up on something or I'll wind up with Sakurai hands.

I tended to play KI:U sitting crosslegged either in a chair or in bed, with a pillow in my lap and the 3DS sitting down on that with the bottom screen down flat. That worked for me the best.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I tended to play KI:U sitting crosslegged either in a chair or in bed, with a pillow in my lap and the 3DS sitting down on that with the bottom screen down flat. That worked for me the best.

That actually sounds pretty good. I'll give it a shot.

Question about the weapon fusing while I'm here. Can you continue fusing weapons you created with fusion to endlessly upgrade?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

As a certified Kid Icarus: Uprising Pro™ I can confirm this is the best way to hold the 3DS while playing Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Question about the weapon fusing while I'm here. Can you continue fusing weapons you created with fusion to endlessly upgrade?
Weapon fusing is actually surprisingly complex but the most basic thing you need to know is "weapon + similarly valued weapon = highed value weapon". If you see a weapon fusion that results in a question mark, you haven't unlocked that weapon yet (either by finding zodiac chambers or completing challenges).

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Kaubocks posted:

Don't forget, Seasons was the BATTLES themed one. Ages was all about the dungeon puzzles.

(too all about the dungeon puzzles, some of that late poo poo was ridiculous)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I played KI:U at my desk with the included stand. It was very comfortable.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

John Lee posted:

Don't forget, Seasons was the BATTLES themed one. Ages was all about the dungeon puzzles.

(too all about the dungeon puzzles, some of that late poo poo was ridiculous)

I owned Ages back when it came out and played through it multiple times. The dungeons seriously go downhill starting at Crown Dungeon. After that there's TWO water dungeons!!

the theme for mermaid's cave is seared into my brain

EDIT: loving CHRIST I HATE MERMAID'S CAVE the gimmick is so annoying

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 12, 2014

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I still like both Oracle games. I remember Jabu-Jabu's Belly being the bigger pain in the rear end water dungeon.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!

Kaubocks posted:

I owned Ages back when it came out and played through it multiple times. The dungeons seriously go downhill starting at Crown Dungeon. After that there's TWO water dungeons!!

the theme for mermaid's cave is seared into my brain

EDIT: loving CHRIST I HATE MERMAID'S CAVE the gimmick is so annoying

You know how the N64 analog stick had a reputation for getting chalky from overuse? I feel like I did the same to my Game Boy Color dpad thanks to that stupid mermaid item.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So Nintendo of Australia haven't said a word about that Smash promotion. Guess we're not getting it....

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Minish Cap and Orcales are all completely filled to the brim with "do five map-spanning fetch quests and two minigames before you can access the next dungeon and progress the story" type bullshit that later Zeldas are known and reviled for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I still like both Oracle games. I remember Jabu-Jabu's Belly being the bigger pain in the rear end water dungeon.

I never finished either Oracle game back on the GBC. I picked up both of them on the eShop, intending to play Ages first, and then take my password into Seasons. I am stuck in Jabu Jabu's Belly. It sucks. gently caress that place. The Mermaid Dungeon was horrible too but at least I figured that out eventually.