Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DM Punk posted:

The whole idea was you take the wrestler the people hated the most and make him the unlikely hero. No one was more hated than Icarus in CHIKARA.

But does anyone actually like him? At the show where he won the title, it didn't seem like anyone cared about him and it was more cheering him because he was the guy we were supposed to cheer for. Nobody in Montreal gave a poo poo about his match either.

I dunno. He's just so bland and terrible to be. I wish I could get behind him but I just find it impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Gavok posted:

But there is a conclave.

One minor thing that kind of disappoints me is how they didn't do the internet fake-out stuff with the unannounced trios. That thing where if you type "kot_team_13.jpg" it would show a graphic for He-Man, Lion-O and Thundarr the Barbarian or something. Those were the best.

There's a conclave and "a pot-luck dinner thing."

But the lack of promotion for them beyond the youtube reports is what's boggling. The event page doesn't even mention the conclave, which, in the past, you'd need a ticket to get into.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Phenix Rising posted:

But does anyone actually like him? At the show where he won the title, it didn't seem like anyone cared about him and it was more cheering him because he was the guy we were supposed to cheer for. Nobody in Montreal gave a poo poo about his match either.

I dunno. He's just so bland and terrible to be. I wish I could get behind him but I just find it impossible.
He only really matters around Easton. The novelty of his face turn is long, long expired and he's going to turn into a vanilla no-character babyface that no one cares about.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Team 16 is LAX of Chavo Guerrero, Hernandez and Homicide

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Team 16 is LAX of Chavo Guerrero, Hernandez and Homicide

Ugh. What the hell, Quack.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

OmegaBR posted:

There's a conclave and "a pot-luck dinner thing."

Wow, I would have never realized it.

LAX would be fine if they were one of a bunch of special-attraction teams, but they're kinda meh as the sole special attraction team(other than the spirit squad, I guess).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Phenix Rising posted:

The storyline where he started turning face (his bromance/falling out with Dunkerton and his kissing up to Marty Jannetty) was decent and he made for a good centerpiece in the Ashes storyline. That said, he's part of one of Chikara's big problems over the years in that once a face's story arc is over, they become just another guy. They're suddenly Kofi Kingston. When they had a stable called the Future is Now (Jigsaw, Lince Dorado, Equinox II, Ricochet), they were just guys who each had a cool storyline that got them over at one point and then did a big pile of nothing. They were so hated that a "THANK YOU, ICARUS!" chant happened at King of Trios 2009 when they were eliminated.

Icarus' story really ended at NPWD. Making him champ seemed almost secondary and they've been failing in coming up with reasons for us to really care for him since. Though to be fair, he's only been at a couple shows since then due to a concussion because Eddie Kingston is Eddie Kingston.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Didn't having Homicide around work out not so great at some point, or am I thinking of someone else?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
LAX is pretty cool. Gunfire makes for a good entrance stinger, and you've got to respect any stable that got given their own entrance ramp.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Didn't having Homicide around work out not so great at some point, or am I thinking of someone else?
That was Inter Species Wrestling and probably because he was knocked out on his feet and not because he's a jerk.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wonder who I am thinking of then. I seem to half-remember a time when they brought in some distinctly-not-PG13 hardcore gangsta dude for a big event and were very surprised when he did some distinctly-not-PG13 hardcore gangsta poo poo.

... they didn't book New Jack, did they?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Homicide wrestled Kingston back in 2010. I don't remember anything bad about that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

No Colt Cabana, no buys. BULLSHIT.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't usually watch Chikara outside of King of Trios but goddamn that lineup looks bad.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wonder who I am thinking of then. I seem to half-remember a time when they brought in some distinctly-not-PG13 hardcore gangsta dude for a big event and were very surprised when he did some distinctly-not-PG13 hardcore gangsta poo poo.

Kevin Steen did, and a couple others have done stuff like that on accident.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't usually watch Chikara outside of King of Trios but goddamn that lineup looks bad.
Not a single trio I'm looking forward to seeing, they might as well still be on break, because nothing's blown me away this season.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

My Lovely Horse posted:

For a while they had the BLKOUT around and they did some stuff they shouldn't have. I recall one of them (Sabian, I believe) loudly yelling "HE loving DISSED YOU!" at Soldier Ant one time and Joker had a thing about putting his hand in his pants and then fishhooking his opponents during Trios '08.

Anyway, Chikara just announced that they're going to be doing the Rey de Voladores tournament at King of Trios (thank God) and the first announced participant is Tigre Uno.

Also, Kid Cyclone has issued a challenge to Deucalion. So that slaughter should be fun.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

We're getting Yoshi Tatsu vs. Ashley Remington on Night 2. Now that's more like it.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Bloc Party vs Team UK announced for Night 1.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I hope Yoshi brings his action figure with him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Announced for Night 1: Knight Eye for the Pirate Guy vs. Gekido. I guess they're trying to get the Jigsaw vs. Jolly Roger part of the story out of the way as quick as possible.

Tomorrow we're supposed to get two more tournament matches as well as "The Battle of the Bow Ties" on Night 2. That means Juan Francisco de Coronado, but I have no idea who the other guy would be. Who out there wears a bow tie? The return of Tank Toland?

Also, I guess that means that Kid Cyclone vs. Deucalion would be on Night 3. My guess is that the point of it is to build up Hallowicked (Cyclone's mentor) as the main hero to take Deucalion down at the finale.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

Announced for Night 1: Knight Eye for the Pirate Guy vs. Gekido. I guess they're trying to get the Jigsaw vs. Jolly Roger part of the story out of the way as quick as possible.

Tomorrow we're supposed to get two more tournament matches as well as "The Battle of the Bow Ties" on Night 2. That means Juan Francisco de Coronado, but I have no idea who the other guy would be. Who out there wears a bow tie? The return of Tank Toland?

Also, I guess that means that Kid Cyclone vs. Deucalion would be on Night 3. My guess is that the point of it is to build up Hallowicked (Cyclone's mentor) as the main hero to take Deucalion down at the finale.

Dude JFDC vs Bob Backlund!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The Battle of the Bowties revealed:

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Aw, I was hoping for Tokyo Magnum.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

rockstar spud rules

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Also, from the looks of things, the Rey de Voladores tournament appears to be a thing where they're actually announcing the line-up beforehand instead of the previous, "Ophidian's gonna be in one of them but the rest is just going to be all the flippy dudes who lost on Night 1."

So far we know that one of the matches is Tigre Uno vs. Shynron vs. Rich Swann vs. ?.

Two more tournament matches announced:

- Spectral Envoy vs. Flood
- Team Extravaganza vs. Devastation Corporation

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I've seen probably about 3 minutes of Rockstar Spud, but I could see his shtick working well in Chikara from what I know of him.

Glad TNA guys are apparently able to appear on indie DVDs again, that's the least they can do for them given the company's current dire condition.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

First round matches announced so far:

1) Team UK vs. Bloc Party
2) Knight Eye for the Pirate Guy vs. Gekido
3) Spectral Envoy vs. Flood
4) Team Extravaganza vs. Devastation Corporation
5) 3peck0 vs. BDK3
6) Colony vs. Colony XTREME Force

That leaves Spirit Squad, Golden Trio, Odditorium and LAX. I'm guessing Golden Trio vs. Odditorium and Spirit Squad vs. LAX (main event) since all the Flood teams are put up against face Chikara teams.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Chuck Taylor is the last person in the first RdV match

Guess that means the Bloc Party is out on night 1

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LobsterMobster posted:

Chuck Taylor is the last person in the first RdV match

Guess that means the Bloc Party is out on night 1

...Holy poo poo, I never made that connection.

My first Chikara show was Chuck Taylor winning the first ever RdV tournament, so this will be like full circle for me.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gavok posted:

...Holy poo poo, I never made that connection.

My first Chikara show was Chuck Taylor winning the first ever RdV tournament, so this will be like full circle for me.

It's okay, someone had to point it out to me, too.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Am I missing something?

I assume that means Sexy Chucky T's one of the Bloc Party dudes.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Well I mean I heard He is actually Mr. A

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, I looked up a close-up photo and it's definitely him.

Speaking of such things, I watched the first Canada show where they killed off Latvian Proud Oak. It was kind of funny that they had somebody else portray him for the death, just so Archibald Peck could be completely beside himself in grief more than anyone else when the locker room attended to the body. Then when he came out for his match, he yelled, "This is for you, Proud Oak!"

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

Yeah, I looked up a close-up photo and it's definitely him.

Speaking of such things, I watched the first Canada show where they killed off Latvian Proud Oak. It was kind of funny that they had somebody else portray him for the death, just so Archibald Peck could be completely beside himself in grief more than anyone else when the locker room attended to the body. Then when he came out for his match, he yelled, "This is for you, Proud Oak!"

I wonder if it was the same dude who played him at NPWD.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

You say Archibald Peck as if there's only one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Turns out the last first round matches are LAX vs. Golden Trio and Spirit Squad vs. Odditorium. So I was way off.

The second Rey de Voladores opener will have Great Sanada.

Tag Gauntlet is confirmed.

On Night 3, we're getting Submission Squad vs. a team of four mystery opponents.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

Turns out the last first round matches are LAX vs. Golden Trio and Spirit Squad vs. Odditorium. So I was way off.

The second Rey de Voladores opener will have Great Sanada.

Tag Gauntlet is confirmed.

On Night 3, we're getting Submission Squad vs. a team of four mystery opponents.

Submission Squad vs. 4 Deucalions

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
The annual Tag Team Gauntlet match has been confirmed for Night 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember there was a dirt sheet rumor a couple years back that CHIKARA and TNA were going to start working together - maybe that's finally happening?

• Locked thread