Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It is a brick kit that falls apart at the touch. MG Unicorn is bad enough, slapping on all those weapons just makes it worse. If you want something impressive to look at, maybe, but even then it'll take some work to get the psychoframe looking nice.

Considering you have a Neo Zeong, I'd recommend the HG instead.

Tenzarin posted:

Do you guys mix your colors to match the guide that comes with models? How easy/hard is it to get the colors to match?

Unless you exclusively use Mr Color, you're not getting a perfect match. Just follow the manual's color ratios with whatever paint you have to get something close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Literally The Worst posted:

How is the MG FA Unicorn anyway? It caught my eye as something I want to do after I get done with the Zeong and my little diorama and maybe the 00 Gundams.

I would highly suggest you get the HGUC FA Unicorn Gundam instead. Not only will it go with your Neo Zeong scale wise, but the FA components will make MG Unicorn a ticking time bomb. Here's what happened to mine when the action base gave out:

Also, it was on an action base cause there's no way in hell it can stand up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oof. I was planning on getting the HG FA Univorn and Banshee Destroy anyway for my dumb little diorama, but it sucks that such a cool looking kit is actually dog poo poo. Any recommendations for particularly good MG kits?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Literally The Worst posted:

Oof. I was planning on getting the HG FA Univorn and Banshee anyway for my dumb little diorama, but it sucks that such a cool looking kit is actually dog poo poo. Any recommendations for particularly good MG kits?

MG Wing Gundam TV version, Wing Proto Zero, Heavyarms EW, Astray Blue Frame Second Revise, Infinite Justice, Nu Gundam ver. ka, Sazabi ver. ka, Sinanju, 00 Raiser are a few that I can list off.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm partial to my Turn-A and my Sengoku Astray. Also, the Gouf Custom is an old kit, but proved to be perfect for painting for me since all its armor pieces are pretty big and simple.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG

GUNDAM

X

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Suzaku posted:

You can go through sanding sticks quickly, which is why you should make your own! Sandpaper + popsicle sticks + super glue = stupid amount of cheap sanding sticks.

And yeah, anything over 800 grit is polishing. Start at a low grit, like 320 or 400, and work your way up. 400/600/800 is usually a good progression. If you want to sand out stress marks, you're going to have to really get up there in grit. If you're not going to paint, your best bet is probably o get some really good sharp side cutters that can cut through nubs nearly flush with the part and not leave stress marks on the surrounding plastic while doing it.

Everyone is yelling at me for horrible nub management!

Seriously though, I do have lower grades. I'm just saying that I can definitely still tell it's been sanded even after 1200. I wanna buy like twenty cans of matte coat, but my hobby shop sells so little Mr. Top Coat Flat at a time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kurui Reiten posted:

Everyone is yelling at me for horrible nub management!

Seriously though, I do have lower grades. I'm just saying that I can definitely still tell it's been sanded even after 1200. I wanna buy like twenty cans of matte coat, but my hobby shop sells so little Mr. Top Coat Flat at a time.

Just run your fingernail down where the nub is/was you might be surprised, its gone and you are not looking at the nub but just stress marks which can be hidden with painting.

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
Continuing my obsession with old kits: The 1/144 Full Color Model (FCM) Guncannon.

My girlfriend loves the Guncannon, and as my other posts have shown, I like older kits. I found the FCM Guncannon on eBay and she bought it under the condition that I build it. The FCM is essentially a late-1980's re-release of select, late 70's Gunpla in 1/144 scale-- but with the added "bonus" of having everything in correct colors. Anything that needed to be a different color was pre-painted; all you needed to do was glue the kit together and panel-line for a decent-looking kit.

So some pictures:

Front view. All I did was glue and panel-line the kit. As is expected from kits from the 70's/early 80's, glue is required (though paint isn't this time around). Posing the kit also sucks terribly, as the joints have no free movement whatsoever.

Front view. I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted flash on; sorry about that.

The "108" sticker comes from my girlfriend's SD Guncannon; I might replace that with a spare dry-transfer from my MG Guncannon.

Speaking of MG Guncannon...

My next step: Buying the 80's 1/60 Gelgoog.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

MG

GUNDAM

X

Seconding the MG Gundam X and recommending the Duel and Build Strike. They're all very solid kits, simple, but extremely satisfying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Someone took a photo of a Neo Zeong and Nightingale together.

I knew the Nightingale was big, but I didn't think it was almost Neo Zeong big.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Jesus gently caress, no wonder the thing doesn't have an MG level inner frame, it'd be $500 easy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Scale size remember the Nightingale is 1/100 while Neo Zeong is 1/144.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shinde posted:

Continuing my obsession with old kits: The 1/144 Full Color Model (FCM) Guncannon.

My girlfriend loves the Guncannon, and as my other posts have shown, I like older kits. I found the FCM Guncannon on eBay and she bought it under the condition that I build it. The FCM is essentially a late-1980's re-release of select, late 70's Gunpla in 1/144 scale-- but with the added "bonus" of having everything in correct colors. Anything that needed to be a different color was pre-painted; all you needed to do was glue the kit together and panel-line for a decent-looking kit.

So some pictures:

Front view. All I did was glue and panel-line the kit. As is expected from kits from the 70's/early 80's, glue is required (though paint isn't this time around). Posing the kit also sucks terribly, as the joints have no free movement whatsoever.

Front view. I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted flash on; sorry about that.

The "108" sticker comes from my girlfriend's SD Guncannon; I might replace that with a spare dry-transfer from my MG Guncannon.

Speaking of MG Guncannon...

My next step: Buying the 80's 1/60 Gelgoog.

That is a nice Guncannon. I like almost all the grunt suits, they seem more possible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Scale size remember the Nightingale is 1/100 while Neo Zeong is 1/144.

I was talking about kit size :v:.

Tenzarin posted:

That is a nice Guncannon. I like almost all the grunt suits, they seem more possible.

I agree (it's why the 00 grunts are my favourites, especially the chunky Russian Tierens), but I think that helps to visually sell why the/a Gundam is the more advanced machine.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Memory lane!

This was (I think) the first kit I got and built and so far the only one I painted. Psyching myself up for painting resin in the weeks to come.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
:arghfist::(

I just finished assembling my MG Red Astray and got to the best step! Assembling his bitchin' swords!

Wait. Where did I place his blade pieces? Oh god they've disappeared on me. I know I saw them at the beginning of assembly, but I've searched all around my workspace and I can't find it. I don't know what I've done with it. Now I have a Red Astray with no swords :(

(I mean the metallic blade pieces, the ones on their own spruce.) God I'm so mad right now, I don't know where I put it. I hope something bad didn't happen to them. :( They were the whole reason I got a Red Astray to begin with.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 12, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ledenko posted:

Memory lane!

This was (I think) the first kit I got and built and so far the only one I painted. Psyching myself up for painting resin in the weeks to come.

:flashfap:

AoZ needs a kit for every dumb design from it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

:flashfap:

AoZ needs a kit for every dumb design from it.

Seriously. I think they are stupid designs in the context of Zeta but man would I build all the models of them I could.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
What search terms should I be using to find an upgrade kit for HGUC RX-78-2?

I remember seeing a kit at some point, that had just the Gundam Hammer, the Javelin, and the Bazooka parts for RX-78, but I can't seem to find it again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Let me know if you find it, id be interested in picking that up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's a 3rd party 1/144 version of the 3.0's expansion pack.

You can get the bazooka and the gundam hammer with the 30th anniversary version of the HG RX-78-2 too.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Just run your fingernail down where the nub is/was you might be surprised, its gone and you are not looking at the nub but just stress marks which can be hidden with painting.

No, no stress marks; I mean, I get the nub completely gone. I was just saying that I can see the difference between 1200 grit sanded, and unsanded, despite what some people said. I can only see it from up close, though, and as was said, a flat coat should eliminate that.

I'm actually slightly proud of the Turn A HG I've been working on. I'll try to take some pictures of it this weekend once it's completed.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

BlitzBlast posted:

There's a 3rd party 1/144 version of the 3.0's expansion pack.

You can get the bazooka and the gundam hammer with the 30th anniversary version of the HG RX-78-2 too.

Awesome that's what I'm looking for! Thanks.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Revitalized posted:

:arghfist::(

I just finished assembling my MG Red Astray and got to the best step! Assembling his bitchin' swords!

Wait. Where did I place his blade pieces? Oh god they've disappeared on me. I know I saw them at the beginning of assembly, but I've searched all around my workspace and I can't find it. I don't know what I've done with it. Now I have a Red Astray with no swords :(

(I mean the metallic blade pieces, the ones on their own spruce.) God I'm so mad right now, I don't know where I put it. I hope something bad didn't happen to them. :( They were the whole reason I got a Red Astray to begin with.

Is there any way to get replacement parts?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you feel like going through the parts order waitlist, but I don't think you should bother. The blade runners are really shiny, just shine a flashlight everywhere and I bet you'll find them.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BlitzBlast posted:

If you feel like going through the parts order waitlist, but I don't think you should bother. The blade runners are really shiny, just shine a flashlight everywhere and I bet you'll find them.

That's what I thought right? But it's not working :(

What is the wait list, in case that's my only option?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Look up GK Parts.

$30 off this Armored Core D-Style. And while these aren't really sales as much as Amazon's usual price, there's a decent selection of PGs for "reasonable" prices. ~$140 off SF and 00R, and ~$100 off Strike and Red Frame. Free shipping on all of them by the way.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
buy the strike gundam, its the best PG after the Strike Rouge

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fauxtool posted:

buy the strike gundam, its the best PG after the Strike Rouge

I find it mildly amusing that even though it's a PG-scale kit, it still has a pure-grey gun :allears:.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I find it mildly amusing that even though it's a PG-scale kit, it still has a pure-grey gun :allears:.

Like anyone ever doesnt just pose with the 2H sword. Speaking off, i dont remember that sword in the anime. There were swords, but when was that one?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fauxtool posted:

Like anyone ever doesnt just pose with the 2H sword. Speaking off, i dont remember that sword in the anime. There were swords, but when was that one?

It's a Gundam Evolve exclusive weapon.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

I've seen SEED more times than I'd like to say, the Grand Slam sword isn't in it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Strike's beam rifle is pure-grey. Are you thinking of the RG redesign's new color scheme?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

The Strike's beam rifle is pure-grey. Are you thinking of the RG redesign's new color scheme?

That I am :doh:.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The RG Mk-II comes with stickers, right? No decals of either kind?

edit: I found a waterslide pack on Amazon for $7.50. Let's hope that's a good price!

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
RE: Exia Auditore chat

could always go 00 with no binder on the right arm, and a cloth cloak affixed to the left binder.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

The RG Mk-II comes with stickers, right? No decals of either kind?

All RGs only come with stickers. They're good ones, all things considered.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

All RGs only come with stickers. They're good ones, all things considered.

The Dalong pictures of the Mk-II stickers look really ugly (even on the AEUG model) because of the "transparent" areas of the stickers. Is that not true in person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Loose posted:

The Dalong pictures of the Mk-II stickers look really ugly (even on the AEUG model) because of the "transparent" areas of the stickers. Is that not true in person?

Not if you take the time to smooth them down properly and get rid of the air bubbles, no.

• Locked thread