Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I got Injustice on the Humble Sale, but it kind of runs like poo poo. The frame rate is abysmal during a fight. I can handle most console ports at high/max settings, and I don't see why this would be any different. Is there a fix, or is this just a lovely port?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hi people keep asking why DmC's combat is bad compared to the old ones.

- The grapples make the Stinger basically worthless.
- Every gun except Kablooey is useless.
- Combo meter is based on damage instead of style now, which means that angel weapons are useless as the meter decays faster than they can cause damage, and everything is about demon weapons. And by "demon weapons" I mean "the Defiler" because Eryx requires charge moves to be good and even then they don't do much damage.
- The controls are really badly designed. Mapping "modes" to the triggers means there needs to be two dodge buttons (that both do the same thing) or else reaching the dodge button (which you basically need to be accessible at all times) would be a horrible clusterfuck. In order to have two dodge buttons,
- they got rid of the lock-on button
- It's pathetically easy. I went through my first time on the "Hard" equivalent (Nephilim?) and died three times throughout the entire campaign. Twice because they wanted me to jump onto red platforms in a red room with a floor made of red lava and grapple onto red points. The third time was because when I tried to grapple onto an enemy flying above one charging into me, and grappled into the charger instead, because they got rid of the lock-on button.
- Man speaking of which, there is a fuckton of platforming in this game about stylish action.
- Color-coded enemies are a dumb gimmick, especially the ones you can only use angel weapons on, because they don't adjust the HP to match, so you just sit there wailing away on one guy forever.

But nah, DMC fans are just mad about Dante's hair lol

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
My PC sucked at the time of its release so I tried the PS3 demo of RE6.

I went through the 3 scenarios and when I was done, I just felt burned out from the most "bloated" game I'd ever played (for lack of a better way to describe it). All the thrills and excitement and tension of 4 (and to a lesser extent 5) just didn't seem to be there. It was just a nonstop onslaught of enemies and flying bullets and ranged attacks, etc. (Especially the Chris-in-the-military squad scenario.)

But, that's just a demo. Maybe the whole package is a bit better? For $12 for the complete set it doesn't seem too bad. Thoughts?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DMC4 has this problem where the second half is just the first half backwards with a different character and it's really lame. I liked DmC more than I did 4, though 3 is still the best game in the series to me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
As far as these games go, Revengeance is very easy in comparison. Devil May Cry 4 allows you to be a badass, but it requires more work than MGR requires. For the most part, the parry system is very, very forgiving. The closest direct parallel that DMC4 has is the Royalguard style, which is arguably the most powerful style, but it requires a huge amount of precision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC2R8dUM9tU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Pirate Jet posted:

- Man speaking of which, there is a fuckton of platforming in this game about stylish action.

I'm not gonna defend DmC but this has been a problem with all the Devil May Cry games. Especially 4. It's never been fun, it's always been intrusive, and I have no idea why they keep putting it in.

Ed: Can't speak for the gameplay but I've never been a fan of the visual style of DmC. Overly-saturated levels, Really bad color choice, and they just look messy.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ddraig posted:

As far as these games go, Revengeance is very easy in comparison.

Yeah, keep in mind that Revengeance's difficulty was aimed downward because it was released in a franchise that wasn't used to that genre of gameplay. Hard mode is more equivalent to a usual Platinum game's Normal mode.

So if you get DMC4 and find yourself getting your poo poo wrecked, don't feel bad or be afraid to turn down the difficulty.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Agent Escalus posted:

I went through the 3 scenarios and when I was done, I just felt burned out from the most "bloated" game I'd ever played (for lack of a better way to describe it). All the thrills and excitement and tension of 4 (and to a lesser extent 5) just didn't seem to be there. It was just a nonstop onslaught of enemies and flying bullets and ranged attacks, etc. (Especially the Chris-in-the-military squad scenario.)

But, that's just a demo. Maybe the whole package is a bit better? For $12 for the complete set it doesn't seem too bad. Thoughts?

RE6 has horrible pacing issues and it never lets up. poo poo is always exploding and everything is constantly going wrong. Leon's campaign is inoffensive. Chris's campaign is pretty bad. Jake's campaign starts off as hot, irredeemable garbage until it miraculously shows you it has the single best chapter in the game because it just dumps you in a mansion and says "try to find your way out" and you can FINALLY just take your time, enjoy the silence, fight off a couple waves of enemies, and enjoy a dumb 'puzzle'. I can't vouch for Ada's campaign because I did the first chapter and hated it so much I put the game down forever.

That being said I enjoy how the game -PLAYS- and I'd say RE6 is worth picking up for Mercenaries mode if score attack modes are your bag.

Both it and the campaigns are much more enjoyable with friends.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

gypsyshred posted:

I got Injustice on the Humble Sale, but it kind of runs like poo poo. The frame rate is abysmal during a fight. I can handle most console ports at high/max settings, and I don't see why this would be any different. Is there a fix, or is this just a lovely port?

If it's anything like Mortal Kombat 9's PC port, there's a chance it didn't recognize your GPU. I wondered the same thing about MK9 when I first booted it up, til I realized it didn't utilize my card.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

So, for reasons, I will be riding in the back of a truck for an extended period of time with my laptop and a 360 controller.

What are some good controller-friendly games that are hard to burn-out on? Aside from obvious triple-A stuff like borderlands, I'm drawing a blank.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

So, for reasons, I will be riding in the back of a truck for an extended period of time with my laptop and a 360 controller.

What are some good controller-friendly games that are hard to burn-out on? Aside from obvious triple-A stuff like borderlands, I'm drawing a blank.

What kind of games do you like? rpgs, shooters (like Borderlands), platformers?

Mark of the Ninja is great, the Telltale Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead games are pretty fantastic, Just Cause 2 never really gets old, Ring Runner; Flight of Sages is really fun, and *others*.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Burnout Paradise :holy:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Started playing Five Nights at Freddy's, during the opening voicemail, Freddy's face suddenly popped onscreen with the text "IT'S ME" and then disappeared

Uhhh I think I'll watch a lets play :cry:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Agent Escalus posted:

it's loving garbage and everyone rightfully hates it

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Oh rad, is this one a tablet port to PC with a price bump of $10 "because he can"? For those unaware, this is a thing that has already happened.

I'd love to get him all riled up again, but I am not buying a game to post.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

it's loving garbage and everyone rightfully hates it

Eh, it's terrible on the consoles, but the PC version has AI tweaks/gameplay adjustments to the guns that make them worthwhile, and mouse aiming to make it a good enough game. It's still super bloated, but it's decently fun if you like dumb RE stories, and even better if you can get a friend to play with you.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Drifter posted:

What kind of games do you like? rpgs, shooters (like Borderlands), platformers?

Mark of the Ninja is great, the Telltale Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead games are pretty fantastic, Just Cause 2 never really gets old, Ring Runner; Flight of Sages is really fun, and *others*.

RPGs would be good, anything with a long play time. Though I can't really think of any PC RPGs that can run with a controller. Platformers are also good but I think they generally go by pretty fast.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

RPGs would be good, anything with a long play time. Though I can't really think of any PC RPGs that can run with a controller.
:darksouls:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349149

Gothic 2 is a pretty baller game. This is the Night of the Ravens one. It's not a GOOD game, but it's still pretty good, if you know what I mean.

Also, Consortium is a nice non combat focused rpg that had controller support patched into it. I like the game, too.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 12, 2014

Nacho
Oct 26, 2010

gypsyshred posted:

You might also want to try turning off Vsync. That helped me.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

RPGs would be good, anything with a long play time. Though I can't really think of any PC RPGs that can run with a controller. Platformers are also good but I think they generally go by pretty fast.

Dark Souls, Skyrim, Saints Row? As for platformers, there's always Spelunky for the infinite replay value. Super Meat Boy?

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
How worth it is it to get Dead Rising:Off the Record? None of the packs in the steam sale have it attached

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Witcher 2

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Dark Souls 1 (with DSfix) and/or Dark Souls 2 would be my main recommendation. They're great games with tons of content, and they work very well with a controller.

Skyrim can easily eat up a lot of time, and although I didn't play it with a controller myself, it does seem designed to be played with one.

If you're interested in strategy games at all, XCom: Enemy Unknown (with or without the expansion) has a good controller interface, can take up a lot of time, and is fun as hell.

I haven't played these with a controller myself, but I expect these would also be good choices: The Witcher 2, Sleeping Dogs, Saint's Row 4, Arkham City, Dishonored. Arkham City and Dishonored don't have extremely long play time (unless you go for all the collectibles), but they're not short and could probably hold your attention for a good length of time if you're interested in them.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Drifter posted:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349149

Gothic 2 is a pretty baller game. This is the Night of the Ravens one. It's not a GOOD game, but it's still pretty good, if you know what I mean.

Also, Consortium is a nice non combat focused rpg that had controller support patched into it. I like the game, too.

Actually I was digging Consortium until I got to the first ship combat section, I couldn't figure out how to be good at it and the computer kept killing me.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

If you like platformers, I'll go back so far as to recommend the Trine games. For RPGs, I'll say The Witcher 2 or Tomb Raider. If you've already played these/don't like that type of game, I'm sure goons here can recommend a host of others.

Also, any of the more recent Lego games.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 12, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ooh The Fall is pretty cool I'm gonna keep on ridin this one. A little janky, especially cause it has the Flashback-style jumping for some reason. But pretty cool.

Also tried Little Inferno and it seems pretty chill. Although I get what they're going for, satirizing iOS games with the timers and the "wanna speed it up??" currency, at the end of the day I'm just like HURRY UP!!!! I get the joke!! Just gimme my poo poo so I can burn it!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks Steam. Theam.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So my friend wasn't interested in my copy of Minimum. Anyone else interested for $3.50?

It's sort of like Brink DOTA, except more fun. Full disclosure: the game will probably be dead in a month or two.

PS: if you want to go insane KDRs in this, Bullet Hell + Olympian Armor + Olympian/Tatics Helm + Disaster Legs = unstoppable tank.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 12, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
DMC4 only has one song for combat encounters, it's awful, it has lyrics, and it always starts from the same point when you enter a fight. That made it unplayable to me.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

facerig is creepy as gently caress
It can be if you play with the settings
There's only one super anime chick at the moment though.

edit:

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks Steam. Theam.

Ha, thants.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AxeManiac posted:

Actually I was digging Consortium until I got to the first ship combat section, I couldn't figure out how to be good at it and the computer kept killing me.

I had the same loving issue at that first combat introduction. It's really not that good. I pushed through for the good of all, and enjoyed things.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Consortium ship combat, use your walk controls to rotate your view, just keep your mouse on enemy ships and keep shooting the tracking bomb things.

Then keep trying to convince everyone you're from the futurepast.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

DMC4 only has one song for combat encounters, it's awful, it has lyrics, and it always starts from the same point when you enter a fight. That made it unplayable to me.

Look at this bad opinion haver not coming when the time has come!

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think there's actually two, one for Dante and one for Nero. Devil May Cry 3 and 4 both have some awful battle music but for some reason I found 4's entertainingly terrible, whereas the battle music in 3 just makes me cringe.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Get the hell out of here. Butt rock is a staple of Devil May Cry. :colbert:

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Shindragon posted:

Get the hell out of here. Butt rock is a staple of Devil May Cry. :colbert:

Buttrock is the best kind of music for any action game and I will accept no substitutions.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hack n Slash is fun but I'm godawful at puzzle games and can't even get to the first boss. Looks quite cool though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeaah some of the puzzles are surprisingly tricky. I get what they were doing with the UI and hacking, but I find it tedious to switch things over and over and over using the keyboard like that.

I also find myself not really liking Double Fine's quirky pastel handrawn art for longish play sessions and it gives me a minor headache. I can appreciate that it's very good, well-done, and unique; but there is something about it that I just don't like looking at it for long periods. Maybe its something about the motion with it too, I'm not sure.

I felt the same about Broken Age which has almost identical art as HnS. This is just a personal problem though. :shrug:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

FZeroRacer posted:

Buttrock is the best kind of music for any action game and I will accept no substitutions.

Accept no butt-based substitutes.

(The rest of that soundtrack is unironically good however.)

• Locked thread