Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Zorak posted:

Even with these new leaks we still don't know ~80 cards.

This set looks sweet.

Yeah there's a lot of cool stuff going on. The one thing I want to see from the set that I haven't yet is a spell that costs U and contains the rules text "Draw a card." Come onnnnnn, it's got to be in there somewhere...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

So this is what I'm thinking for Mardu aggro. It's a rough draft; the sideboard's pretty basic since we don't know what the post-launch meta will look like, and I'm iffy on the maindeck removal suite, but:
Deck: Mardu Aggro

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
4 Swamp

//Spells
2 Mardu Ascendancy
2 Mardu Charm
4 Ulcerate

//Creatures
4 Bloodstained Brave
2 Butcher of the Horde
4 Gnarled Scarhide
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Mardu Skullhunter
4 Tormented Hero
4 War-Name Aspirant
4 Chief of the Edge

//Sideboard
2 Mardu Charm
2 Erase
4 Thoughtseize
1 Butcher of the Horde
4 Hero's Downfall
2 Ephemeral Shields

Display deck statistics

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm stupid and don't what I'm talking about, but the set feels a bit vanilla to me. Not that that can't make for very interesting and deep games.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

I'm stupid and don't what I'm talking about, but the set feels a bit vanilla to me. Not that that can't make for very interesting and deep games.

What do you mean by vanilla?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

What do you mean by vanilla?

Uncomplicated mechanically. Morph is complex rules-wise, but it's pretty straightforward once you've played a few games with it. It adds a new dimension to the battlefield (one I love), but there usually aren't many synergies (beyond the poker games that come with more morphs).

I might feel this way because I played a lot with morphs already.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Uncomplicated mechanically. Morph is complex rules-wise, but it's pretty straightforward once you've played a few games with it. It adds a new dimension to the battlefield (one I love), but there usually aren't many synergies (beyond the poker games that come with more morphs).

I might feel this way because I played a lot with morphs already.

That makes sense. What's an example of a recent set that you thought was reasonably complex?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I hope a lot of the cards left unrevealed are morphs with simple turn face-up triggers, like Skirk Marauder or Skinthinner were. A lot of the common/uncommon morphs revealed so far just get bigger, and the dichotomy between small utility morphs and fatty morphs was always way more interesting than commando/craghorn stuff

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

That makes sense. What's an example of a recent set that you thought was reasonably complex?

Heh, I haven't really followed recent sets closely enough to say. Though Innistrad seems very interesting. (I probably consider Mirrodin/Odyssey my favorite sets if that says anything. Although, Onslaught's still no. 1 just cause.)

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I hope a lot of the cards left unrevealed are morphs with simple turn face-up triggers, like Skirk Marauder or Skinthinner were. A lot of the common/uncommon morphs revealed so far just get bigger, and the dichotomy between small utility morphs and fatty morphs was always way more interesting than commando/craghorn stuff

Same, not that many utility morphs shown yet.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

For me my reservation is that none of the clan mechanics are that exciting except Delve. Most of the other exciting cards we've seen so far are exciting more because they have high power/toughness relative to their mana cost rather than because they have a particularly unique effect. I liked Prowess at first but I've cooled on it a bit now that it seems like it's going to be a minor perk on already-efficient creatures rather than something to build around.

Also more utility morphs, it seems like most of the spoiled morphs are fatties with morph cost equal to their mana cost minus 1 colorless.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Though, the original Ravnica's the actual best block ever, right?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Heh, I haven't really followed recent sets closely enough to say. Though Innistrad seems very interesting. (I probably consider Mirrodin/Odyssey my favorite sets if that says anything. Although, Onslaught's still no. 1 just cause.)

Ahhh, I get you. They don't quite make sets like they used to (on purpose - have you ever read New World Order?). They've done a lot to simplify commons for the sake of acquiring and retaining new players.

Rinkles posted:

You get a lot of different answers for this, though RGD is a pretty common one. I think Innistrad's the best single set they've ever made but the rest of the block doesn't live up to that.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Also ffs can we please just get a reprint of Zombie Cutthroat, the best and most fun limited morph of all time (not named Wall of Deceit, RIP damage on the stack)

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Also ffs can we please just get a reprint of Zombie Cutthroat, the best and most fun limited morph of all time (not named Wall of Deceit, RIP damage on the stack)

They don't want any turn-over-this-morph-to-completely-trump-another-morph situations for less than 5 mana, so no!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

Ahhh, I get you. They don't quite make sets like they used to (on purpose - have you ever read New World Order?). They've done a lot to simplify commons for the sake of acquiring and retaining new players.

I have. It seems smart as long as they don't over do it, but I'd probably prefer it otherwise (Time Spiral did seem to go overboard, though).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rinkles posted:

Shadowmoor. :colbert:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I have. It seems smart as long as they don't over do it, but I'd probably prefer it otherwise (Time Spiral did seem to go overboard, though).

I think Time Spiral was really cool, as someone who only started playing and following the game way later. But I would not have wanted Time Spiral to be my first exposure to Magic.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rinkles posted:

That's a lovely way to spell Invasion block.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Toshimo posted:

That's a lovely way to spell Invasion block.

I remember my (stolen from me) playset of Flametounge Kavus fondly (I didn't realize they were quite so bonkers powerful back then). And Vampiric Dragon seemed like the sickest card at the time. e:Oops, embarrassing that's an odyssey card!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The best blocks ever are Tempest, Odyssey, Time Spiral, Shadowmoor, and Innistrad, in no particular order.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

The mention of Flametongue Kavu makes me wonder - what do you think the oldest creature is that's too strong to reprint for Standard? Setting aside combo piece creatures like Goblin Welder or creatures you don't want to attack with like Mother of Runes.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Tempest, Odyssey, and Onslaught were my favorites growing up.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Scrouge is great, and so was the rest of Onslaught. Lorwyn/Eventide is good too. I think I'm one of the few who liked Coldsnap though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

The mention of Flametongue Kavu makes me wonder - what do you think the oldest creature is that's too strong to reprint for Standard? Setting aside combo piece creatures like Goblin Welder or creatures you don't want to attack with like Mother of Runes.

Maybe Cloud of Faeries?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

Probably Bloodbraid Elf. Creature quality has increased drastically over the course of time.

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe Cloud of Faeries?

Cloud of Faeries is just OK when it's not in a format with enablers like High Tide. Would be pretty gross in the current format with Nykthos and Master of Waves though.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

Earliest is probably from the Weatherlight block, unless you think Serendib Efreet is too strong for Standard. Weatherlight had Man-o-war, Mistmoon Griffin, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Veteran Explorer, and Wall of Roots. All of which are probably too good for standard.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Saeku posted:

Cloud of Faeries is just OK when it's not in a format with enablers like High Tide. Would be pretty gross in the current format with Nykthos and Master of Waves though.

Avalanche Riders then. Also from Urza's Legacy.

L0cke17 posted:

Earliest is probably from the Weatherlight block, unless you think Serendib Efreet is too strong for Standard. Weatherlight had Man-o-war, Mistmoon Griffin, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Veteran Explorer, and Wall of Roots. All of which are probably too good for standard.

Most of those fall under the "combo piece" and "creatures you don't want to attack with" exceptions. Man-o-War is a good candidate, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 12, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Saeku posted:

Probably Bloodbraid Elf. Creature quality has increased drastically over the course of time.

No chance of it ever being unbanned from Modern? I just found one in a random pack of Alara Reborn I was given back when I wasn't playing Magic.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008
Hypnotic Specter comes to mind. Dunno if it's actually too strong though.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Psychatog. Although this might be considered a combo piece.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Talibananas posted:

Hypnotic Specter comes to mind. Dunno if it's actually too strong though.

It was reprinted in M10, so it's probably OK in general. Not something I'd allow in a Standard with Gray Merchant and friends, though.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Most of those fall under the "combo piece" and "creatures you don't want to attack with" exceptions. Man-o-War is a good candidate, though.

Veteran Explorer and Wall of Roots are both good even without comboing them with something. Just imagine Wall of Roots with chord of calling in standard right now!

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Elyv posted:

The best blocks ever are Tempest, Odyssey, Time Spiral, Shadowmoor, and Innistrad, in no particular order.

Innistrad the set is the best set ever printed imo. Innistrad the block.. not as great, but still good as a whole.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rinkles posted:

No chance of it ever being unbanned from Modern? I just found one in a random pack of Alara Reborn I was given back when I wasn't playing Magic.

I could see Bloodbraid Elf getting unbanned from Modern - it was banned to knock Jund down a peg but Jund didn't really even miss it. I think a Deathrite Shaman unban is less likely than a BBE unban and I honestly wouldn't be that surprised to see DRS come off the banlist either.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

Veteran Explorer and Wall of Roots are both good even without comboing them with something. Just imagine Wall of Roots with chord of calling in standard right now!

Wall of Roots still isn't something you'd want to attack with, even if it didn't have Defender.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

I could see Bloodbraid Elf getting unbanned from Modern - it was banned to knock Jund down a peg but Jund didn't really even miss it. I think a Deathrite Shaman unban is less likely than a BBE unban and I honestly wouldn't be that surprised to see DRS come off the banlist either.
Unban BBE, unban Jace and let the meta figure it out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Hypnotic Specter was in 10th edition, Wall of Roots was in Time Spiral and AEther Adept is very very close to Man o' War.

Dreadnaught is a good pick, but I'm not sure it would do anything without a Stifle effect.

L0cke17 posted:

You mean like Ravnica/Time Spiral Standard?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

neetengie posted:

Unban BBE, unban Jace and let the meta figure it out.

I think unbanning Jace would be a terrible idea, if for no other reason than how hard they'd be to get.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think Hypnotic Specter is incredibly powerful without Dark Ritual.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I see they're trying to address some of the pricing problems on MODO - next week is Tempest block flashback drafts and the week after that is triple Innistrad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I see they're trying to address some of the pricing problems on MODO - next week is Tempest block flashback drafts and the week after that is triple Innistrad.
Flashback drafts!?! Does that mean...cube?

• Locked thread