Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Thanks, I was thinking of joining a boxing gym for striking but one of the bjj places I'm looking at has Muay Thai so that would work as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
So guys, who were the ones here who also instruct part time or full time or something?

I remember a post way back where someone suggested we start a bit of info and expertise exchange about the drills we run and how we do it.

That might be a good idea.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
When I wasn't a traveler I helped teach at my home gym. Did it for ~ 3 years and now I still run warm-ups and basic drills at my travel gym.

So uhhh... what do we want to talk about?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

-Blackadder- posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I saw fuji mentioned on another forum as well so I'll pick up one of those.

I'm also in need of a gi upgrade, but have the added complication of a near freakishly lanky (6'4" 145lbs) frame. Currently my starter gi stops about midway between my elbow and wrist. Now that I've got my blue belt and am thinking seriously about competition, and am also not completely broke at the moment, it's time to get my poo poo straight.

A couple of the skinnier guys at my school use Lanky brand gis. Anyone have personal experience? I seem to remember Padilla & Sons being the goon brand of choice a year or two back. Anyone know whether they've got models suitable for draping on an adolescent tree shaped person like myself?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Dang dude that is some serious lank. I'm the same weight and not even 5'10" and I'm pretty drat skinny.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Decades posted:

6'4" 145lbs

:pwn:

How do you even get to class without being carried away by a gentle breeze

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

When I wasn't a traveler I helped teach at my home gym. Did it for ~ 3 years and now I still run warm-ups and basic drills at my travel gym.

So uhhh... what do we want to talk about?

Ummm... footspeed drills for boxing or something. Except they are the same ladder drills for other sports that require feet. Which move. I dunno. Explosive power for the upper body that do not require weights? I was sort of thinking about adding variety to a striking class I sometimes run, in the hand + eye, conditioning and overall physical exercise & coordination department, but I'm all out of new stuff. But it would be fun to run some new drills now that the regular season (September - June) started again. It's not that using "old" exercises is a bad thing. They were invented and are used for a reason. For example the basic drill of just moving with a partner with your hands up isn't very glorious or exciting, but guys who have done striking started doing it the first week, and still do it after 15 years.

Ladder drills, for foot speed? Done.
Sandbells? (Like kettlebells, but bags filled with sand, so you can also throw and slam them.) Done.
Striking for power? Wherein you take 10 second turns in delivering huge bombs with 4-5 persons per bag taking turns. Done.
Speed drills for punches and kicks like above? Those too.
General calisthenics? We've been through so many hundreds of different ones it's difficult to imagine new ones.
Tennis ball drills? It's been a while though!

New heavy bag drills would be awesome to hear about, likewise with stuff that help people with balance.

Decades posted:

(6'4" 145lbs)

:stonk:

HOW ARE POSSIBLE

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have two (free) gyms available in my area and I pay 140/month for my BJJ gym which also gives me access to decent gym facilities.

30 minute drive for the free ones, 5 minute drive/15 minute bicycle/30 minute walk to the BJJ gym.

Decades posted:

(6'4" 145lbs) frame.

Kinda wanna bench press this guy.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I'm 6'1 and about 210lbs right now after my magnificent beer and cigarettes diet. Nobody has called me "fat" or "stocky" in... ever. Just take about 30% off of that and :stonk:

AND THERE ARE EVEN SKINNIER GUYS THAN HE IS AT THE GYM? :haw: A blue belt can't be in poo poo physical state either, quite the opposite. That's pretty awesome all in all.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I was 6ft 2 and 140 for a long time and I now weigh in at a cool 160 lbs. No one believes how light I actually am, I have won money standing on scales. IDK its like light bones or something.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Im 5'9 at 200 lbs and I have been staying at that weight ever since I started seriously working out again. I am an apparently "huge" guy and people tell me (and are apparently scared) of how strong I am.

I still to refuse to believe this poo poo even when I squat 200lbs, deadlift 200lbs and push dudes away using my hands when I am at the bottom of a sidemount. :psyduck:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Decades posted:

(6'4" 145lbs)

Haha what in the gently caress.

Definitely do some competitions, you'd probably be able to triangle most opponents in your weight class from a standing position.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I weigh 140 pounds too, but I'm 5'8".

Dunno how you manage to be that tall and light :stare:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ElMaligno posted:

Im 5'9 at 200 lbs and I have been staying at that weight ever since I started seriously working out again. I am an apparently "huge" guy and people tell me (and are apparently scared) of how strong I am.

I still to refuse to believe this poo poo even when I squat 200lbs, deadlift 200lbs and push dudes away using my hands when I am at the bottom of a sidemount. :psyduck:

I felt very manly about my 330lbs deadlift, after only a few months of (weight) training.

Then again, I don't feel so good about my 130lbs squats which leave me unable to walk for days, my dream is to even squat 1 x 5 at my own body weight.

>:[

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Instructor/geek stuff exercise post of the day:

Sit down, cross legged, yoga style. Or stand or whatever, who cares. Now press your other hand to your forehead, and your other hand to your opposite knee. Then touch with the hand on your knee first your butt, then your shoulder, and then your head. Easy! BUT AT THE SAME TIME use the other hand, which was at your forehead, to touch your shoulder, your butt and your knee - same sequence but the other way around, is all. Both hands move at the same time. Then change the rotation.

AAAAHHH!

This helps with: [insert something which sounds cool about coordination and focus]

edit:

I also suspect this might be easy for grapplers, who are used to moving their limbs as four separate instances. And some exercises like this are also very easy for boxers, who are accustomed to moving and stepping at the same time, both on the same side or opposite sides. But for someone who doesn't do stuff like this, might not be as easy as it sounds :v:

Ligur fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 12, 2014

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Ligur posted:

I felt very manly about my 330lbs deadlift, after only a few months of (weight) training.

Then again, I don't feel so good about my 130lbs squats which leave me unable to walk for days, my dream is to even squat 1 x 5 at my own body weight.

I find lower weighted squats tend to wreck me more than heavy squats, for example I was working at 80kg(176lb) last week and would not be able to walk properly for a day or two, but when working at 105kg(231b) I'm absolutely fine.

I'm 5ft 7 and 195lb I've managed to squat 125kg(275lb) for one rep but my deadlift is still only 140kg(300lb)

I'm potentially going to have to give up sparring for a good few weeks/month's I may be going in for eye surgery to treat Keratoconus...this is deeply upsetting as sparring is often the pleasant treat during a training session.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So is a kempo karate program an ok to join or am I going to be the nerd idiot in the cool kids martial arts group if I do?

I ask because I'm apparently in a martial arts desert for anything other than karate and some $90/month MMA school.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yeah pretty much

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh geez $90/month is apparently not that far out there for martial arts, never realized how expensive classes were

Time to look at the budget I guess

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Dang dude that is some serious lank.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:pwn:

How do you even get to class without being carried away by a gentle breeze

Ligur posted:

:stonk:

HOW ARE POSSIBLE

ElMaligno posted:

Kinda wanna bench press this guy.

I know, right? I don't really know what to tell y'all. I'm up towards 150 on a heavy day and the height's legit. I've lifted before, did starting strength for 6 to 8 months or so, and got up to maybe low 150s. But it inevitably meant less class, and I struggle to make it two or three times a week as it is, so it just kinda wasn't worth it. Now I focus on making class as much as I can and not worrying about it too much. My school's got a strength and conditioning class though it's not proper heavy lifting. I guess I'm very gradually filling out in the core and shoulders, whereas starting strength was more about my rear end.

Ligur posted:

AND THERE ARE EVEN SKINNIER GUYS THAN HE IS AT THE GYM? :haw: A blue belt can't be in poo poo physical state either, quite the opposite. That's pretty awesome all in all.

Didn't mean there was anyone skinnier, just the next most skinny guys. I've got a bit of muscle on me and am by no means skinnyfat. Don't feel particularly weak pound for pound and all in all get by okay.

Kekekela posted:

Haha what in the gently caress.

Definitely do some competitions, you'd probably be able to triangle most opponents in your weight class from a standing position.

I lock triangles up well but to finish they've gotta be perfect - locked deep, posture broken, calf across the neck, arm pulled to the side, angle turned, hooked under their leg, head pulled down - and then sometimes I'll still have a hard time.

So how bout that gi??

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Haha interesting you're taller/ lighter than me but not by much. I'm not strong but I've generally been told I feel closer to 175 than my real weight and like I said above people always say I'm bsing when I say I'm barely a lightweight

I think my best fitting gi's are lucky gi but they're expensive so I hesitate to recommend them.

I have an Atama that fits nicely as well. I saw a tall thin guy in a lanky gi that fit him well but I think he's heavier.

Origin offers some good options too. I don't own one but they cut a tall version and give you measurements on their site so you can tell wtf an Awhatever really means in their sizing.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

200lbs? step your squat game up son. I'm 5"8 and weigh 157lbs and I squat 220, my legs aren't that big either. For some reason I can't bench press for poo poo but have good pec and shoulder definition. I can only bench about 175 but I can do like 190 on the seated row dealie. Bodies are weird. I saw some beanpole looking dude bench press 220 10 times the other day. It's not technique either because a friend of mine is a sport science qualified trainer dude, not one of the 6 week you're now a personal trainer dudes either, like legit ecg-doing-qualified, human movement dude.

I'll tell you what is interesting regarding the above because my anecdotes are poo poo, but tracking your explosiveness by tracking vertical leaps and broad jumps. There are charts around that put you in a category based on age for whether you're poo poo hot or not. After doing BJJ for a good crack I improved both jumps by a huge margin and smashed the core strength level test.

I can't remember the exact exercises for the core test but its done from the sit up position and there's different levels
1. place hands on your thighs sit up and slide them to your knees
2. Elbows to knees
3. chest to knees
4. chest to knees with 2kg behind your head
5. chest to knees with 5 kg behind your head

If your feet move or come off the ground you fail.

I smashed number 5 ten times and that was through no specific regimen of sit ups. I'd wager all the grapplers in this thread could do number 5 atleast once. If you dudes have access to a 5kg weight give it a go and report back because I'm curious.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So I think I might get that bag. :ohdear: Not sure though. Parents might not want it around. I fell asleep and missed kickboxing tonight but went in anyway to watch some BJJ. Ended up getting a Rothwell hoodie and another pair of fight shorts so I can switch out my other ones finally.

We did Yin Yoga yesterday and Ben held me back after everyone left and said he read that sheet that I gave him and he told me that I have to stop drinking. He actually closed down and talked to me for about a half hour about how it's loving up my life. I agree. But... I have a few things going against me. My parents drink. I have a big Irish family. I live in Wisconsin (look up the statistics, it's loving insane). I'm bipolar. I'm out in the county. I have nothing to do. Etc....

So.... I think I'm going to take his advice and stop drinking for a while. Unfortunately that means my hypomania comes out more then but I guess I'd rather have that than the consequences of severe depression. It's going to suck though because we are going to have a party for his win against Overeem and I probably won't be able to drink, but it's for the best. His wife doesn't drink either I don't think. Maybe I'll be a DD or something.

Anyways. It's 3am and I'm awake so I don't know if I'll be able to make the advanced kickboxing class tonight but I might try. Either that or pick up a bag to beat up. Don't know. Have to decide. My diet is starting to get better already on it's own. So that's good. I'm starting to take certain vitamins as well. I forgot where I was going with this. I need to work on something over the weekend to keep me away from booze and get me more prepared for MMA. Something to keep my brain occupied.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just read that and it seems like the ramblings of a crazy person. Ugh. :downswords:

I'll try to relax and get to sleep and try to figure out something to do over the weekend that will move me in a more positive direction.

Sorry guys, I'll probably be fine later.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I wasn't in the same situation exactly, of course, but I drank and smoked before I started my martial art. And, for me at least, it just all kinda naturally went away. Couldn't drink cuz I couldn't be hung over and show up to class the next day. Couldn't smoke or I'd get out of breath so I switched to ecigs. I don't think I would have had the willpower to do either otherwise.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Instructor/geek stuff exercise post of the day:

Single hand chest taps. Assume the push up starting position. Keep your body rigid, like planking. Now slowly touch your chest with your other hand. Can you do it while keeping your body completely immobile otherwise? Repeat with the other hand. The slower the better.

Double hand chest taps. Assume the push up starting position. Keep your body rigid, like planking. Now tap your chest with both hands at the same time. Can you do it without "loading" at all? Not a lot of people actually can. Even if they have the upper body strength to do jumping push ups (like most martial artists easily do), their hands are simply too slow to touch the chest and get back to the starting position without falling on your face. Most hardcore push-up poo poo requires strength, but this is is more about speed.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I recently cut back my drinking by a lot and noticed I got pretty cranky for the first few days. It helped me to treat it like an addiction. The worst part is all the social situations where you're expected to drink.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Sometimes when people stop drinking (or never did to begin with) it seems to be more of a problem for other people, at least here. "What, you don't drink? WHY?!"

Last winter two of my training buddies quit boozing completely, the hangovers just got so bad, and when our office clerk found out they were sober at the summer party and only had soft drinks in their glasses he first refused to believe it, and looked like being close to tears when he finally had to accept the fact. I know one guy who, over the years, has become good at pretending to be drunk in certain situations to save the trouble of people hassling him over it, tho I don't know what kind of weird social circle he has.

Depends. If a bunch of your friends are martial artists or athletes, mostly they don't care either way.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I go through phases of not drinking and they're totally fine.

Most people will be totally fine about it, but if you're not sure, your go to move is "I'm driving".

Even if you struggle to quit completely, cutting down your intake dramatically is also good. I tend to drink about once every two weeks, once a week tops, and it works for me. If you quit completely though you'll notice your cardio goes through the loving roof, it's awesome.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The :jerkbag: motion is pretty much all you need if people are giving you poo poo about not drinking. "Seriously, gently caress off" is a solid follow-up if they persist.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 12, 2014

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

followed by a scissor takedown, followed by a heelhook

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

followed by a scissor takedown, followed by a heelhook

If you don't power double your rear end in a top hat friends at least once each time you go out then why even do martial arts

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BlindSite posted:

200lbs? step your squat game up son. I'm 5"8 and weigh 157lbs and I squat 220, my legs aren't that big either. For some reason I can't bench press for poo poo but have good pec and shoulder definition. I can only bench about 175 but I can do like 190 on the seated row dealie. Bodies are weird. I saw some beanpole looking dude bench press 220 10 times the other day. It's not technique either because a friend of mine is a sport science qualified trainer dude, not one of the 6 week you're now a personal trainer dudes either, like legit ecg-doing-qualified, human movement dude.

I can probably do 220lbs squats, but my working weight is 200lbs and with my current strength regime I add 5lbs to my workout per week anyways. So instead of just doing a single max rep of 220lbs now, i'll just wait and do 15 reps of 220lbs in 4 weeks or so~

Also a year ago I could barely squat or bench 45lbs and I was in a stationed in a good boat with a lovely gym

Ligur posted:

Sometimes when people stop drinking (or never did to begin with) it seems to be more of a problem for other people, at least here. "What, you don't drink? WHY?!"

When I tell people I have never been blackout drunk at a portcall they give me weird looks.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
People giving you poo poo or pestering about not drinking alcohol might have something to do with the Finnish culture, or the age of the people involved, or both. I seriously have no idea if X not drinking alcohol is a problem in places Y or Z by and large.

Is it? (Slightly doubt it isn't, many Brits and several others nationalities all over the world are prodigious drinkers who do it not to enjoy the glass of wine with their pasta, but to pass out and vomit.)

Yeah cutting booze has some pretty incredible returns. That cardio thing is so true. I don't understand the physiology behind it at all, but not drinking a drop for a few weeks or a month will somehow up your stamina so much I'm always blown away by how much. Shame I like my vodka shot and tallboy so much I'm prepared to live with the disadvantages unless I'm preparing for some kind of competition.

Greg Jackson posted:

I recently cut back my drinking by a lot and noticed I got pretty cranky for the first few days. It helped me to treat it like an addiction. The worst part is all the social situations where you're expected to drink.

That cranky feeling is actually called "withdrawal symptoms" :v: You don't have to be full blown heavy user and suffer bouts of delirium tremens to have 'em. Not pointing fingers or anything, when I drastically cut down my alcohol consumption last time I was pretty loving cranky too and felt weird all in all. My brain was telling me it's missing something it's used to having. I told it to shut the gently caress up and let me finish cutting my logs of lumber.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 12, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

That cranky feeling is actually called "withdrawal symptoms" :v: You don't have to be full blown heavy user and suffer bouts of delirium tremens to have 'em. Not pointing fingers or anything, when I drastically cut down my alcohol consumption last time I was pretty loving cranky too and felt weird all in all. My brain was telling me it's missing something it's used to having. I told it to shut the gently caress up and let me finish cutting my logs of lumber.

Yeah, exactly

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah, I haven't recently been drinking regularly enough to have withdrawals. I did many times in the past though. Enough to be given ativan in the hospital. Ben told me that I need to look at how it's hosed up my life so much and get angry at it. Really angry. Get mad at all of the dumb poo poo it made me do, and there is SOOO much of that. He was getting worked up and getting me worked up about how I should be upset with it and treat it like some odd outside force or something.

You know I think I get it now. Ben is the nicest guy in the world. But that's his secret. He's always angry. :ohdear:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah, I haven't recently been drinking regularly enough to have withdrawals. I did many times in the past though. Enough to be given ativan in the hospital. Ben told me that I need to look at how it's hosed up my life so much and get angry at it. Really angry. Get mad at all of the dumb poo poo it made me do, and there is SOOO much of that. He was getting worked up and getting me worked up about how I should be upset with it and treat it like some odd outside force or something.

You know I think I get it now. Ben is the nicest guy in the world. But that's his secret. He's always angry. :ohdear:

For real though, martial arts is an amazing and therapeutic thing to do, but it sounds like you should also look into regular clinical therapy if you haven't already.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh yeah, I have one psychologist and one psychiatrist through the VA. I've been hospitalized numerous times and have had about 40 (guessing) treatments of electroconvulsive therapy. The first round of ECT did well when I lived in Seattle. This second round at the Chicago Navy base didn't seem to have the same effect. I've been heavily depressed and sedentary for the past few months. After Ben's win, something inside me burst. I needed to stop waiting for my manic phase and start doing something myself. That's when I went to kickboxing on Tuesday. I was suicidal 2 weeks ago, and near hypomanic now after returning to MMA.

You're right. Martial arts really is a godsend and I've been making a note to go every day now even if I don't train. I just need to be around everyone to watch and have the atmosphere and everything.

I'm just worried about this weekend because the gym is closed Saturday and Sunday. That's usually when I get into trouble. I need some sort of plan to keep me focused on MMA. That's why I was thinking of picking up that bag here http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Training_Bags/Fight_Simulators/Century%C2%AE%20Versys%20VS.1%20Fight%20Simulator.aspx or maybe developing a cardio plan or something.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ligur posted:

Since you work out regularly, a basic 5x5 programme should get you there in a couple of months. It's really the simplest way of improving your strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

On weight and ready for dallas open tomorrow. 217.4 without the gi. I was 235 4 weeks ago

• Locked thread