Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Chili posted:

That is certainly the best case scenario. I do like to think however, that when I see something I don't like so much, the film can be the means to enjoying movies in the future at a deeper level.

Sure, that's what I'm talking about too. The enjoyment of movies in general is the end goal, rather than a means to finishing a list or obtaining bragging rights or whatever else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

caiman posted:

25: Andrei Rublev - I've seen Stalker and Solaris. I'm ready for more slow-burning Tarkovsky awesomeness.

As a fan of Solaris, I would like to see your take on this.

-

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was an interesting movie. It defied all expectations for me. For some reason I was expecting it to poke fun at the mentally ill but for the most part it was a very respectful portrayal. I thought Jack Nicholson's character was despicable at first but throughout the film he really gave himself up as a really caring guy.

I didn't agree with all of the film's messages. Women are either evil emasculators or hookers with hearts of gold, and every black man in this movie was petty and hedonistic.

It was a genius dynamic to have a guy that lead a successful revolt in a Korean POW camp to be completely undone by the American mental health system, I'm going to be thinking about this movie for a long time.

Bonus points for early career Danny Devito, Doc Brown, and Grima Wormtongue

9/10

-

2. If... - Heard Malcolm McDowell got his start in this, not too familiar with 60's era British film.

3. Casablanca - Ranked one of the greatest American films of all time. I have foreign friends that list this as their favorite film. Truly the most shameful movie on my list.

4. East of Eden/Rebel Without a Cause - James Dean.

6. The Maltese Falcon - Don't know too much about this one. Always enjoy a good mystery

7. Gone With the Wind - Classic Civil War film. Sign me up.

8. The Smartest Guys in the Room - I studied pyramid schemes in college and I'm still not entirely sure what the gently caress happened with Enron. Interested in anything concerning Crime and Punishment.

9. Paths of Glory - All you had to say was The Wire and I'm sold.

10. Neon Genesis Evangelion - I realize this is a TV/movie series, gonna start with the first reboot film. Loved the hell out of Xenogears and I hear this covers a lot of the same Freudian/Jungian/Nietzchean concepts.

De-Shamed: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Raid, House of Sand and Fog.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I don't think I've seen The Maltese Falcon on many lists here, go with that.

I can't believe it took me several years to get around to watching The Big Heat. What a good movie! For some reason I had always assumed this movie would be a challenge, but I was sucked in immediately and really enjoyed it. Shadowy cinematography, sketchy characters and a gritty atmosphere. You really can't beat it

Would someone like to recommend more that are similar?

1. Once Upon A Time in America - The run time is intimidating, but with Leone directing a cast like that...
2. Pandora's Box - Don't know much about it
3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance - Know nothing about this, but it is a Criterion release and sounds interesting enough.
4. Moonrise Kingdom - Never seen any Anderson, so I think I'll start here
5. Under The Skin - Another modern film I keep seeing mentioned in the horror thread. The trailer makes it seem similar to Beyond The Black Rainbow. I'm game.
6. Eyes without a face - I needed some horror on this list
7. Fort Apache - I'm stealing this one from TrixRabbi's list
8. Red River - I don't consider myself a fan of Westerns, but I can't say I've seen too many I didn't enjoy
9. Cat O' Nine Tails- Next up in the Argento 'Animal' trilogy
10.Assault on Precinct 13- I liked They Live
Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow, M, The Bird with the Crystal Plummage, Nashville,Miracle in Milan,Cinemania, Young Mr. Lincoln, Videodrome, Argo, Ace In The Hole, The Big Heat

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 5, 2014

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

Dr.Caligari posted:

10.Assault on Precinct 13- I liked They Live

I too like They Live. I'm choosing this blind though so hopefully I didn't make a mistake!

-

Full Metal Jacket - This film felt like an anthology: a series of vignettes, each tiptoeing into the next. I assumed this movie was going to be following an infantryman through the atrocities of Vietnam, but it was more subtle than that. It was both detached and blunt in its depiction of reality.

The first 40 minutes is about bootcamp, which could have been its own movie entirely. Then it transitions to the war.

I liked that it didn't focus on battles. Hell, it barely focused on armies. Kubrick instead focused on the people, which is all that ever really matters in these things.

I had no idea just how quoted this movie is. And not just the Lee Ermey stuff, everything! It was quite startling in some places but I can see why such lines have been pulled into general culture.

Lastly, that sniper scene at the end was amazing. That will haunt me for years.

Great film! The kind of war film I can wrap my head around and understand, one not centered on nationalism, but on men and women in impossible situations.

-

SHAMELIST: (in order of longest time on this list)

The Sound of Music - I feel filthy that I've never seen this. Something about Nazis, right? And spinning in a field of grass. Nazis spinning around in fields of grass? gently caress yeah.

Rain Man - I just finished a book on memory and it discussed the inspiration for this movie. Seems a good justification to finally see it.

Donnie Darko - This is another movie I want to see if only to understand the references people make to it. Is it any good? gently caress if I know. Let me find out and decide.

Mad Max - How does this stack up compared to the well-known classic Warriors of the Wasteland?

You Only Live Twice - James Bond #5 - My Bond dork friend says this one is also good. Glad to hear it.

Planet of the Apes - The old one.

Touch of Evil - I hear Orson Welles made good movies.

The Birth of a Nation - Because I hate myself and I'm sick of hearing this movie's title and not knowing why it stirs up bile. Something about racism. And according to IMDB it is 2.5 hours long! Woooo!

The Breakfast Club - Is this a feel good movie? I don't know.

-
De-shamed (58): Raiders of the Lost Arc; Alien; Blade Runner; The Godfather; Casablanca; Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom; The Godfather Part II; Die Hard; Grave of the Fireflies; Aliens; A Fistful of Dollars; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; Network; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Schindler's List; Superman; Dr. No; Rear Window; Young Frankenstein; Jaws; Akira; The Shining; American Psycho; Metropolis; The Graduate; The Birds; Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure; WALL·E; American History X; The Third Man; Blue Velvet; Seven Samurai; Notorious; Lawrence of Arabia; La Dolce Vita; The Jerk; Videodrome; Deliverance; Ed Wood; Mulholland Drive; From Russia With Love; Rebel Without A Cause; Senna; Groundhog Day; The Terminator; Who Framed Roger Rabbit; Goodfellas; Terminator 2: Judgment Day; Wreck-It Ralph; The Goonies; Some Like It Hot; Rashomon; The Rocky Horror Picture Show; Highlander; Thunderball; Rocky; Robocop; Full Metal Jacket

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Dr. Caligari, if you're interested in more films like The Big Heat, Lang made other cool noir films in his Hollywood career, quite fond of Scarlet Street, Woman on the Window, and Ministry of Fear, and if you can stomach 40's CinemaFreud Secret Beyond the Door... is worth a look. But more in the vein of The Big Heat(Cops/Detectives and robbers) try the The Big Combo, The Asphalt Jungle, Kiss me Deadly, Murder, My Sweet.

Space Cob you heard right, Orson Welles does make good films, and Touch of Evil is pretty good.

The White Diamond(2004) dir. Werner Herzog

About the daring adventure of exploring rainforest canopy with a novel flying device-the Jungle Airship. Airship engineer Dr. Graham Dorrington embarks on a trip to the giant Kaieteur Falls in the heart of Guyana, hoping to fly his helium-filled invention above the tree-tops.

Herzog frames the story of Dorrington as a quest for redemption and absolution, from an accident of a previous expedition that led to the death of Dorrington's close friend and coworker Dieter Plage. This spiritual journey, coupled with his dream(obsession?) of flying over the trees and a (massive) waterfall in a place almost free of human contact, makes Dorrington the perfect Herzog character. As usual in a Herzog documentary film, most of it is staged and played up for drama. But you know, that's part of his thing, his ecstatic truth, finding the real trough stylization. He gets Dorrington to put on a small rocket engine(jet pack?) on his back have him make rocket sounds and pretending his flying around as the camera lingers on for quite awhile. The fascinating part is that Dorrington continues on doing the act with child like glee for the whole scene.(also the scene doesn't cut away, it fades away, so I like to imagine that Herzog filmed a grown man with a rocket strapped to his back doing superman flight poses for 10 minutes straight) Later on, he has Dorrington again in front of the camera alone, this time for the story about the accident, the camera rolls with no interruption and as it goes on the more Dorrington let's out his real feelings and memories over the accident.

But the real star of the show is the jungle, Herzog's ultimate character, with it's strange and hidden away treasures. Like the secret kingdom of the swirls beyond the waterfall curtain, a place that should never be filmed and remain untouched till the end of the time. The local Rastafarian philosopher Marc Antony Yahp, who longs to see his family that went to Spain, or wanted to take his rooster(called Red Man) on the airship. Or even the locals who don't seem all that interested or infused by having the strange airship flying around. The shots of the jungle, waterfall, and the close-ups on the wildlife are simply staggering at times. Great stuff, if at some points a bit aimless and loose. 89(Great)

SHAME Part III Director's Cut:

Romeo + Juliet(1996) Oh dear

The Magician Been awhile since I had a Bergman film in this list.

I Vitelloni More Italian films that Scorsese has spoiled for me.

Bronson Masculine violence and anxiety by Nicolas Winding Refn

To the Wonder Catching up on my 2013 backlog

2046 Almost completing Kar Wai Wong

Sonatine Yakuza film, haven't watched a thing by Kitano

The Sting Paul Newman, Robert Redford, and Robert Shaw cool

Week End Godard

Have watched so far 59 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dancer in the Dark, How Green Was My Valley, Vivre sa Vie, Harvey, The Earrings of Madame de..., The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Tokyo Drifter, The Player, Intolerable Cruelty, The Insider, Late Spring, Munich, Juliet of the Spirits, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, La Chienne, Le Cercle Rouge, The Lady Eve, Primer, Roma città aperta, Black Narcissus, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Simon of the Desert, A Foreign Affair, Branded to Kill, In Bruges, Black Swan, The White Diamond

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Go watch The Sting, it's the only one of yours I've seen and I did like it quite a bit.

The Rules of the Game never really stood a chance. Nothing about this worked for me. I can generally enjoy a good farce, Clue is one of my favorite fun time movies, but I think the charm in a farce is not being able to follow it even though you should be able to. With this, even before the farcical elements got started, I had a nearly impossible time keeping track of the different, characters and their various romantic interests.

Also, everything about the characters and plot were so cavalier. No one really seemed all too upset about being cheated on, and that was ultimately the premise of the movie?

I don’t know, I really didn’t get this one at all. I’ll have to go read Ebert’s review and find out why I’m wrong, I guess.

6/10

New List

1. The Blues Brothers - Interested, not much else to say though.

2. The Purple Rose of Cairo - More Woodie!

3. *NEW* Kiki’s Delivery Service *NEW* - It’s been awhile since I’ve checked out a Ghibli film. I could use a smile or two, may as well get one this way.
4. Poolhouse Junkies - Looks like fun.

5. The Last Starfighter - I know nothing about this other than the bits that were referenced in Plinkett's Episode 1-3 reviews. It looks cool though!

6. Senna - Heard this about some car jesus that everyone in the world reveres outside of the USA.

7. Sherlock Jr. - Keaton has yet to disappoint me. The General actually brought me to tears. More please.

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there!

9. Gojira - I just saw the new one, and I loved the hell out of it. I'm really really interested in going back to the origin of this franchise.

10. Ashes and Diamonds - There was some kind of list of famous director's favorite movies. A lot of directors I liked listed this and I had never heard of it. Let's go!

91 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5, The Buddy Holly Story 7/10, Pleasantville 7/10, The Rules of the Game 6/10

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

Chili posted:

6. Senna - Heard this about some car jesus that everyone in the world reveres outside of the USA.

This is a great documentary so I'm picking this.

-

Touch of Evil - I have to be honest. I shut this movie off an hour in.

Why? I was bored as hell. Maybe I was missing something subtle or was not in any kind of mood for this sort of film. But either way, I couldn't care about any of it.

I like Orson Welles. The Third Man is a great film! But this one...I don't know what it was. Nothing about it grabbed me. If anything, I was sick of seeing Welles limp around and mumble like a living blimp.

Reading the Wiki article for it, the movie does look like it picks up. But I just...I don't know. Sometimes I just can't muster the will to care about movies I feel the need to stop halfway through.

Also, I never would have guessed that was Charlton Heston. I can only envision him in my head past the age of 70.

EDIT: I watched the rest of the movie and am really loving stupid. Far as I can tell, I stopped watching the second the movie turned good! Just my luck.

I turned it off right before it was pointed out that Welles's character may have been planting evidence.

The rest of the movie flew by after that point. I feel like I owe the movie an apology in some way, not giving it the benefit of the doubt. In lieu of that, I vow to never quit a movie I'm watching for this thread ever again. Even if it kills me. I'm glad I went back and righted this wrong.

-

The Sound of Music - I feel filthy that I've never seen this. Something about Nazis, right? And spinning in a field of grass. Nazis spinning around in fields of grass? gently caress yeah.

Rain Man - I just finished a book on memory and it discussed the inspiration for this movie. Seems a good justification to finally see it.

Donnie Darko - This is another movie I want to see if only to understand the references people make to it. Is it any good? gently caress if I know. Let me find out and decide.

Mad Max - How does this stack up compared to the well-known classic Warriors of the Wasteland?

You Only Live Twice - James Bond #5 - My Bond dork friend says this one is also good. Glad to hear it.

Planet of the Apes - The old one.

The Birth of a Nation - Because I hate myself and I'm sick of hearing this movie's title and not knowing why it stirs up bile. Something about racism. And according to IMDB it is 2.5 hours long! Woooo!

-
De-shamed (59): Raiders of the Lost Arc; Alien; Blade Runner; The Godfather; Casablanca; Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom; The Godfather Part II; Die Hard; Grave of the Fireflies; Aliens; A Fistful of Dollars; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; Network; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Schindler's List; Superman; Dr. No; Rear Window; Young Frankenstein; Jaws; Akira; The Shining; American Psycho; Metropolis; The Graduate; The Birds; Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure; WALL·E; American History X; The Third Man; Blue Velvet; Seven Samurai; Notorious; Lawrence of Arabia; La Dolce Vita; The Jerk; Videodrome; Deliverance; Ed Wood; Mulholland Drive; From Russia With Love; Rebel Without A Cause; Senna; Groundhog Day; The Terminator; Who Framed Roger Rabbit; Goodfellas; Terminator 2: Judgment Day; Wreck-It Ralph; The Goonies; Some Like It Hot; Rashomon; The Rocky Horror Picture Show; Highlander; Thunderball; Rocky; Robocop; Full Metal Jacket

edit: vvvvvv Very good point. You know what...gently caress it. I'll watch the rest tomorrow. Maybe I was just in a bad mood today.

Space Cob fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 6, 2014

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If you can't make it through Touch of Evil, good luck with Birth of a Nation.

Seriously though, I think you should give Touch of Evil another shot sometime. Until then does it really belong on your "de-shamed" list?

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

caiman posted:

If you can't make it through Touch of Evil, good luck with Birth of a Nation.

Seriously though, I think you should give Touch of Evil another shot sometime. Until then does it really belong on your "de-shamed" list?

Now that I've had a couple hours to think about it, I'm being stupid. I'll watch the rest of the movie and edit my post.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Space Cob, your next movie is Planet of the Apes

I'm still processing The Night of the Hunter. One thing I can say for sure is that this movie is absolutely stunning visually. I loved the use of light and the surreal shot compositions during the second act. Robert Mitchum is fantastic. I wasn't expecting this movie to center on kids so much. There is a ton of subtext in this movie that's gonna take me a while to sort out. I'll probably have to watch this one again sometime.

The List:

NEW 1. City Lights: I've never seen a Chaplin movie, or even a silent movie.

2. Memories of Murder: I made it 10 minutes into this once and realized I was going to fall asleep so I stopped

3. Throne of Blood: Kurosawa doing MacBeth sounds dope

4. Sunset Boulevard: I bought this on DVD like 8 years ago and it's still in the shrink wrap.

5. Eyes Wide Shut: This is my Kubrick slot now

6. The Life Aquatic: I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie.

7. North Dallas Forty: I've been told that this is the best football movie ever made. I like football and movies.

8. The King's Speech: I borrowed this from the library a few weeks ago but the DVD was scratched and gave out halfway through. I liked what I did see, though.

9. Blood Simple: There are still a few Coen bros. movies I haven't seen yet.

10. The Artist: I saw 10 minutes of this once and rolled my eyes pretty hard at it but I should probably give it another chance.

Watched (51): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing, A Fish Called Wanda, City of God, Psycho, Singin' in the Rain, Witness for the Prosecution, Se7en, The Wild Bunch, Oklahoma!, Cool Hand Luke, Paths of Glory, The Night of the Hunter

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

You aren't alone, I had trouble with Touch of Evil also.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Alfred P Pseudonym, watch Blood Simple

I liked Stalag 17 well enough, but the comedy bits fell kind of flat for me. The Harry and Animal characters felt unnecessary and at times grating. I did like the idea of a mystery set in a prison camp and it really is William Holden that holds this film together. He is superb. This is the first Wilder that didn't completely knock me out. Still an entertaining film though.

1) Le Deuxieme Souffle- love that Melville
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) Dead Man- haven't seen much Jarmusch, this looks interesting
4) Bringing Up Baby- I like early screwball comedies
5) The Red Shoes- everyone seems to love this film
6) The Music Room- never seen a Sanjit Ray movie
7) The Night of The Hunter- Robert Mitchum is great
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Swing Time- last musical on the AFI top 100 I haven't seen
10) A League of Their Own- I know the famous line, but that's about it. Is this any good?

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars, The Nightmare Before Christmas, For A Few Dollars More, Sanjuro, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Great Dictator, Around The World In 80 Days, Our Hospitality, Rain Man, Thief, Gun Crazy, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Act of Killing, Rebel Without A Cause, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Stalag 17

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oooooo. Toss up between Night of the Hunter and Dead Man. I've seen both because of this thread and I loved them, and checking their scores.... they tied. Go with Dead Man, someone else will pick Hunter soon enough for you, it seems to be a thread favorite.

Senna: Documentaries can be really tricky. I, as I’m sure is common practice, tend to choose documentaries that are in alignment with my interests. It’s hard for me to even classify documentaries as a “genre”. I wanted to watch Senna because I don’t have any interest in racing. None. I wanted to watch it because I had heard it was a phenomenal documentary. As a documentary, I understand that the story being told is done so perfectly. It has an agenda and the agenda is Senna is the loving man, he shat gold.

It painted that picture very clearly, and made Prost look like a real schmuck. Whether or not there’s any validity to that story… I have no idea, and I really don’t care.

It’s very hard to appropriately consider a documentary for what it is. The film did a good job telling its story. It doesn’t seem like there was nearly any principal footage shot for the film, this was all about compiling.

And yet, I still really don’t care.

I suppose it’s nice that now I’m a bit less of an ugly American, as this Senna dude seems to be supremely important to the rest of the world. And, in fact, those bits were the most interesting to me. I liked learning more about Senna’s identity as a Brazilian, how he stood by his flag when it seemed largely unpopular to do so. I could have done with more of that and less of VROOM VROOM.

That’s ultimately what separates this documentary from something like Hoop Dreams. I couldn’t give less of a poo poo about basketball, it was the human edge to the story that made it so compelling. You had to care about basketball because you cared about the kids, and we cared about the kids because we got to know them.

I don’t think I know much about Senna after watching this. I know he’s religious, I know he’s talented, I know he seems to be a decent guy… and I don’t really know much else and have very little reason to care about what he does.

But hey, if documentaries are meant to make you think, this one certainly did that, albeit not in a conventional way. Senna was in no way “bad” but it’s just not something I’ll talk about much with my friends later.

7.5/10

New List

3. Kiki’s Delivery Service - It’s been awhile since I’ve checked out a Ghibli film. I could use a smile or two, may as well get one this way.

5. The Last Starfighter - I know nothing about this other than the bits that were referenced in Plinkett's Episode 1-3 reviews. It looks cool though!

6. *NEW* Rebel Without A Cause *NEW* - I know that Fry from Futurama is based off of Dean's character (or at least his look). I also know it's classic and even though I'm over 90 movies in the shame seems endless.

7. Sherlock Jr. - Keaton has yet to disappoint me. The General actually brought me to tears. More please.

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there!

9. Gojira - I just saw the new one, and I loved the hell out of it. I'm really really interested in going back to the origin of this franchise.

10. Ashes and Diamonds - There was some kind of list of famous director's favorite movies. A lot of directors I liked listed this and I had never heard of it. Let's go!

91 Total De-Shamed

[sub]Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5, The Buddy Holly Story 7/10, Pleasantville 7/10, The Rules of the Game 6/10, Senna 7.5/10

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

Chili posted:

3. Kiki’s Delivery Service - It’s been awhile since I’ve checked out a Ghibli film. I could use a smile or two, may as well get one this way.

I remember this movie being cute. Try it.

-

Planet of the Apes - Back to back Heston today. After finishing Touch of Evil (which I'm glad I did), I get to see Heston closer to the man I imagined: a man who can jut his chin like the best of 'em.

This was pretty watchable given the silly premise and time period. I enjoyed it.

It makes me wonder how effective the ending was at the time. Were there many people who didn't think the whole time "it is probably Earth." And if there were such people, did the ending really hit them hard? I'm curious.

-

-
De-shamed (60): Raiders of the Lost Arc; Alien; Blade Runner; The Godfather; Casablanca; Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom; The Godfather Part II; Die Hard; Grave of the Fireflies; Aliens; A Fistful of Dollars; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; Network; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Schindler's List; Superman; Dr. No; Rear Window; Young Frankenstein; Jaws; Akira; The Shining; American Psycho; Metropolis; The Graduate; The Birds; Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure; WALL·E; American History X; The Third Man; Blue Velvet; Seven Samurai; Notorious; Lawrence of Arabia; La Dolce Vita; The Jerk; Videodrome; Deliverance; Ed Wood; Mulholland Drive; From Russia With Love; Rebel Without A Cause; Senna; Groundhog Day; The Terminator; Who Framed Roger Rabbit; Goodfellas; Terminator 2: Judgment Day; Wreck-It Ralph; The Goonies; Some Like It Hot; Rashomon; The Rocky Horror Picture Show; Highlander; Thunderball; Rocky; Robocop; Full Metal Jacket; Touch of Evil; Planet of the Apes

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chili posted:

...and then add on to that subtitles, requiring the viewer to mentally shift focus and attention style...

Just keep watching more and more of them. Subtitles in fast moving films with a lot of dialogue used to bother me but I must've broken through a barrier because it hasn't bothered me for years. I suppose it was similar in that I used to find B/W films distracting when I was a lot younger.

caiman posted:

Shoah's gonna be a killer :(.

I've been thinking about watching that one for years now.

Chili posted:

I've come to appreciate those movies in retrospect for how they've shaped how I experience movies that I've watched since watching them.

I kind of have that feeling for every single one I've seen. That's why when forced to rate films on a scale of 1-10 I don't think I could ever rate any in the 1-4 range as I still feel like I've gotten some new knowledge.

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

This is the first Wilder that didn't completely knock me out. Still an entertaining film though.

I don't know the history behind that production but it kind of felt like he was constrained in that film and tied to a more conventional script. It's lacking that Wilder magic.

Space Cob posted:

It makes me wonder how effective the ending was at the time. Were there many people who didn't think the whole time "it is probably Earth." And if there were such people, did the ending really hit them hard? I'm curious.

Yea, the bane of great endings in films is the more impact they have the more they're spoiled and weakened.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Zogo posted:

I've been thinking about watching that one for years now.

Shoah's not really a single narrative, though, is it? I gather it's a collection of testimonies. In that case, it's easy enough to break it up in pieces, just watch an hour a day or something, and think of it as a mini-series. I don't know, for me it's the thought of having to watch it all at once that's intimidating, but I can marathon a TV show because I know I can get to a stopping point if I have to.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

Just keep watching more and more of them. Subtitles in fast moving films with a lot of dialogue used to bother me but I must've broken through a barrier because it hasn't bothered me for years. I suppose it was similar in that I used to find B/W films distracting when I was a lot younger.

I actually really don't mind subtitles. On their own, it's not too bad. The only time they're ever a problem for me is when they're part of a problem, if that makes sense.

I'm sure you're right though, in that the more I get through, the easier they'll be to deal with.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Space Cob posted:

I asked my mom the same question when we first watched this together (I guessed the ending halfway through) and she said that when she saw it in theaters, she and the rest of the audience had no idea and there were gasps.

She described as it a really cool movie going experience. I can see it going that way. I think that the longer films have been around, the more prepared audiences get for twists. My mom told me that as far as she can recall this was really one of the first big, GOTCHA moments in a blockbuster film. I'm sure there are plenty of others but when you think of famous twists Planet of the Apes is definitely on the list for a summer blockbuster.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Kiki's Delivery Service isn't available through any of my usual means of instant streaming (vudu, amazon, netflix) so it's gonna be a bit until I can get my hands on it without paying a bunch of money.

I'll watch it, but in the meantime can :siren: anyone else please pick another movie off my list? :siren:

6. *NEW* Rebel Without A Cause *NEW* - I know that Fry from Futurama is based off of Dean's character (or at least his look). I also know it's classic and even though I'm over 90 movies in the shame seems endless.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

Pinch hitting for Kiki, number 54, Gojira!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Space Cob enjoy the awkwardly racist You Only Live Twice. Also glad that you went back and finish Touch of Evil, which I think is a film that continues to improve with more viewings.

The Sting(1973) dir. George Roy Hill
With Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Robert Shaw, Eileen Brennan

In 1930s Chicago, a young con man(Robert Redford) seeking revenge for his murdered partner(Robert Earl Jones) teams up with a master of the big con(Paul Newman) to win a fortune from a criminal banker(Robert Shaw).

A very harmless and consequence free film(Not for Robert Earl Jones though!), that manages to work perfectly on the backs of the great three man lead. You don't even care that all these characters are major crooks and deserve to be in jail, because they just so good at it. This came out on the same year of The Exorcist, Mean Streets, Badlands, and Serpico, and almost doesn't belong on how carefree it goes about. Not even the titular sting is all that nasty, something that the actual film seems to not only address and note, but also poke fun at.(Poor Robert Earl Jones) Charming and handsome actors, fluff, easy story with twists, drama and (cheap) dilemmas, goes through it's 2 hour runtime in a flash. It's a finely tuned big Hollywood blockbuster production, even before the term or that concrete idea came around to be. Feels like an almost lost tradition. Big dumb fun with little faults. 80(Great)

Romeo + Juliet(1996) Oh dear

The Unknown Known Not sure if I can stomach this creep like I did Mcnamara in Fog of War

Week End Godard

Witness for the Prosecution Wilder and Christie

Have watched so far 60 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dancer in the Dark, How Green Was My Valley, Vivre sa Vie, Harvey, The Earrings of Madame de..., The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Tokyo Drifter, The Player, Intolerable Cruelty, The Insider, Late Spring, Munich, Juliet of the Spirits, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, La Chienne, Le Cercle Rouge, The Lady Eve, Primer, Roma città aperta, Black Narcissus, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Simon of the Desert, A Foreign Affair, Branded to Kill, In Bruges, Black Swan, The White Diamond, The Sting

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Electronico6, I'm not sure why but I want to hear your thoughts on Romeo + Juliet.

Andrei Rublev - With its deliberate pacing and episodic structure, this movie moves like an intense, meditative, wonderful, sometimes terrifying dream. It's a surprisingly easy watch. Tarkovsky's camerawork is exceptional, and the events of each segment are always engaging. There are a number of scenes that'll likely stay with me for a long time. The Raid sequence, with its unexpected gruesomeness, is especially memorable, as is the final section about the construction of the bell. It's filled with many rich details and characters, and it tells so many seemingly disconnected stories, but throughout it all is an underlying cohesion that's difficult to explain. At the end it all gelled for me. Tarkovsky is beginning to really, really impress me. 88/100

Using the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? list, I'm just starting at the top and working my way down through every movie I haven't seen. The numbers represent the placement in the TSPDT list:

26: The Mirror - I'm ready for more slow-burning Tarkovsky awesomeness.

33: Ordet - Vampyr and The Passion of Joan of Arc both impressed the hell out of me.

35: Au hasard Balthazar - I've only seen Pickpocket from Bresson, and I liked it.

54: Children of Paradise - Mimes, huh?

64: Shoah - Admittedly, the length of this (9+ hours) makes it quite daunting. I suspect I'll spread it out over multiple sittings.

72: Gertrud - More Carl Theodor Dreyer can't hurt.

74: Rio Bravo - Another essential western that I've neglected to see.

75: Voyage in Italy - My first Rossellini.

77: Amarcord - Fellini has done nothing but impress me.

78: Close Up - This was recently the Movie of the Month. I probably should have watched it then. Oh well.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Should I be watching the theatrical or director's cut of Blood Simple?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Should I be watching the theatrical or director's cut of Blood Simple?
I've read there isn't really much difference between the cuts (apparently the Coens simply cut scenes involving the bartender), but make sure that jukebox plays 'It's The Same Old Song'.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

caiman posted:

35: Au hasard Balthazar - I've only seen Pickpocket from Bresson, and I liked it.

I've not heard of a single one of your movies so I used Random.org for this. So if it sucks, blame them.

-

You Only Live Twice - Aaaah, classic Bond. Another island lair and another woman in a bikini.

I enjoyed this film too! I've yet to see a Bond movie I didn't like so far. Those are coming down the line I'm sure, but as of now, the streak from the start continues.

Electronico6, you were right about the awkward racism. They threw shurikin, dripped poison, and ran around with katana. But they also had guns; at least they gave the ninjas firearms. The only thing I thought was a little too silly was when they gave Bond eye prosthetics to look more Japanese during his ninja training. That was hokey.

If anything, I found this movie more awkwardly sexist. There was a part where the head of the Japanese spies, :siren: TIGER TANAKA :siren:, outright said "In Japan, men always come first. Women come second." Other than the obvious sex joke there, it was met with "yup, women are below men alright. Let's get to the rubdown!" This isn't exactly out of line with the rest of the series, but to have it said so blatantly and accepted was cringeworthy.

I had a bit of a what the gently caress moment though. I have seen Diamonds Are Forever already (but may rewatch for this thread as I barely remember it) and an actor, the bad guy at the end I think, plays a bit part in You Only Live Twice. It had me thinking of conspiracies the whole time. Maybe that'll come true!

Goldfinger is still my go-to Connery. I also liked Thunderball more than You Only Live Twice, but this one had plenty of high spots.

-

-
De-shamed (61): Raiders of the Lost Arc; Alien; Blade Runner; The Godfather; Casablanca; Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom; The Godfather Part II; Die Hard; Grave of the Fireflies; Aliens; A Fistful of Dollars; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; Network; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Schindler's List; Superman; Dr. No; Rear Window; Young Frankenstein; Jaws; Akira; The Shining; American Psycho; Metropolis; The Graduate; The Birds; Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure; WALL·E; American History X; The Third Man; Blue Velvet; Seven Samurai; Notorious; Lawrence of Arabia; La Dolce Vita; The Jerk; Videodrome; Deliverance; Ed Wood; Mulholland Drive; From Russia With Love; Rebel Without A Cause; Senna; Groundhog Day; The Terminator; Who Framed Roger Rabbit; Goodfellas; Terminator 2: Judgment Day; Wreck-It Ralph; The Goonies; Some Like It Hot; Rashomon; The Rocky Horror Picture Show; Highlander; Thunderball; Rocky; Robocop; Full Metal Jacket; Touch of Evil; Planet of the Apes; You Only Live Twice

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Space Cob Christopher Plummer did the filming of The Sound of Music while drunk and you should follow suit when you watch it.

Romeo + Juliet(1996) dir. Baz Luhrmann
With Leonardo DiCaprio, Claire Danes, John Leguizamo, Harold Perrineau

loving Shakespeare

A timeless tale, 90's soundtrack, English from the 16th Century, and a wide variety of incredible tacky shirts. It's crazy and silly, and I kinda like it. It's got a very deranged and aggressive sense of style, very self-confident, doesn't particular waste time trying to ease the viewer into it, it's a barrage of colour, loud music, and straight Shakespeare dialogue from the word go, and you're with it or not. I understand why it's such a love or hate it kind of picture. It's somewhat dumb in it's garishness, and I think the Old Bard would've loved it.

But Shakespeare really comes alive by the strength of it's actors, mainly the leads. Some you can sort of wing it with a lame lead(Branagh's Hamlet comes to mind), others not so much. While I don't think neither Danes or DiCaprio are bad, or even poor, they do struggle a lot with the dialogue and it's intricacies. Especially compared to Pete Postlethwaite who lived this stuff, and Harold Perrineau who just owns his role as Mercutio. But their struggles don't really sink completely the film, it's very enjoyable in it's imagery and style. It's imaginative and actually quite pretty to look at. You just gotta have an open mind about it. 78(Good)

The Unknown Known Not sure if I can stomach this creep like I did Mcnamara in Fog of War

Week End Godard

Have watched so far 61 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dancer in the Dark, How Green Was My Valley, Vivre sa Vie, Harvey, The Earrings of Madame de..., The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Tokyo Drifter, The Player, Intolerable Cruelty, The Insider, Late Spring, Munich, Juliet of the Spirits, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, La Chienne, Le Cercle Rouge, The Lady Eve, Primer, Roma città aperta, Black Narcissus, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Simon of the Desert, A Foreign Affair, Branded to Kill, In Bruges, Black Swan, The White Diamond, The Sting, Romeo + Juliet

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Random luck of the draw says that you should go with Bronson.

So anyway, basically everything that A New Hope did well, The Empire Strikes Back did better. The pacing felt smoother, the sense of scope felt grander, characters were more fleshed out and the climax in particular left a much stronger impact overall. One thing that did surprise me, even knowing more or less the entire plot going in, is just how much of a backseat role Luke plays outside of the last half hour. The film definitely plays it to its favour though, using it to further develop his character further while also giving the rest of the cast their share of the spotlight, particularly Vader, who has a heightened presence compared to the first film. Aside from that, not much else to say aside from the fact that it's just a really solid film, and I can definitely see why it's regarded as the best of the franchise.

Also ended up watching The Fisher King a few days ago in between. I was expecting something along the lines of a drama with some comedic elements, so I was pretty surprised to see the comedy being as manic and prominent as it is. Not everything did it for me (The tone felt all over the place at times and I found the late-movie conflict between (and the abrupt resolution of) Jack and Anne to be somewhat contrived and unnecessary.), but what did work for me worked really well, the standout scenes for me in particular being Parry's telling the story of The Fisher King and the final Red Knight sequence. All in all, a good film, albeit one that I feel suffers somewhat from tonal inconstancy and mood whiplash.

1. 21 Jump Street - Didn't get around to seeing it when it came out, but love Lord and Miller's work on both Clone High and The Lego Movie.

2. The Avengers - I actually went to see this in a double feature at a drive-in across the border from me, but I think the projector light was almost burnt out or something, making the movie virtually unwatchable, so we left fairly early on, and I just haven't gotten around to picking it back up since.

3. This is the End - Piqued my interest and I heard all around good things when it came out but just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

4. Inglorious Basterds - Currently only have Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Django Unchained under my belt for Tarantino, so I figured I'd pick this one up next.

5. Fantasia - Considering my inclination towards animation in general, having never seen what is considered one of if not the the most groundbreaking animated films of all time is a definite sore spot on my film record.

6. Grave of the Fireflies - Continuing through Ghibli's work with what I've generally seen regarded as their darkest film.

7. Good Will Hunting - I feel like I owe it to myself to catch up of some of Robin William's filmography after his tragic passing, and by all acounts this is one that I've heard nothing but endless praise for.

8. Wayne's World - Given my affinity for comedy and rock, it's a wonder I haven't seen this yet.

9. The Social Network - Wanted to check this out for all of the acclaim it got but just never got around to it.

10. The Iron Giant - Technically I have seen this one, but not since I was really young, so I remember virtually nothing about it aside from the fact that I remember enjoying it. I've also seen it commonly regarded as one of the best animated films ever made, so I'd like to watch it again with a more adult mindset.

Deshamed (10): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Try, Good Will Hunting

Even before reading the trivia for Assault on Precinct 13, it was evident that Darwin Joston (Napoleon) was really trying for Charles Bronson ala Once Upon a Time in the West. The rest of the movie is basically a 're-visioning' of Night of The Living Dead. It is a fun movie, probably best enjoyed in the couple of some friends and drinks, but I liked it regardless. Carpenter said he had the most fun making this movie, and it shows while watching it.

I also (finally) watched What have you Done to Solange?. This is another one I put off for way to long for no reason. It was fantastic and if you are a fan of giallo's , then this one is a must see.

1. Once Upon A Time in America - The run time is intimidating, but with Leone directing a cast like that...
2. Pandora's Box - Don't know much about it
3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance - Know nothing about this, but it is a Criterion release and sounds interesting enough.
4. Moonrise Kingdom - Never seen any Anderson, so I think I'll start here
5. Under The Skin - Another modern film I keep seeing mentioned in the horror thread. The trailer makes it seem similar to Beyond The Black Rainbow. I'm game.
6. Terminator- Shameful
7. Fort Apache - I'm stealing this one from TrixRabbi's list
8. Red River - I don't consider myself a fan of Westerns, but I can't say I've seen too many I didn't enjoy
9. Cat O' Nine Tails- Next up in the Argento 'Animal' trilogy
10. Robocop - I'm maybe the only '80s kid' to miss this and Terminator

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow, M, The Bird with the Crystal Plummage, Nashville,Miracle in Milan,Cinemania, Young Mr. Lincoln, Videodrome, Argo, Ace In The Hole, The Big Heat, Assault on Precinct 13

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 11, 2014

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Dr Caligari, go with The Terminator

Well Dead Man certainly left me with a lot to chew on. I was hooked on every minute of it, even if I still am not quite sure what was going on. It was hypnotic, meditative, and gorgeous. I'm looking forward to revisiting it as I'm sure there is a lot more to be unlocked from repeat viewings than just a deconstruction of the western. I also dig subdued weird Depp way more than over the top look at me Depp.

1) Le Deuxieme Souffle- love that Melville
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) El Topo- another experimenatal western
4) Bringing Up Baby- I like early screwball comedies
5) The Red Shoes- everyone seems to love this film
6) The Music Room- never seen a Sanjit Ray movie
7) The Night of The Hunter- Robert Mitchum is great
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Swing Time- last musical on the AFI top 100 I haven't seen
10) A League of Their Own- I know the famous line, but that's about it. Is this any good?

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars, The Nightmare Before Christmas, For A Few Dollars More, Sanjuro, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Great Dictator, Around The World In 80 Days, Our Hospitality, Rain Man, Thief, Gun Crazy, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Act of Killing, Rebel Without A Cause, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Stalag 17, Dead Man

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy
Mistletoe Donkey, watch Carlos...because that's the only one I've seen on your list.

So, City Lights:

The first silent film I've seen. It was better than I expected, I think. Very charming. I was worried after the opening scene and the strange noises the people were making at the statue unveiling. It took a bit for me to let go an enjoy it, but midway through the movie things sort of clicked.
7.5/10

2) 12 Angry Men (1957) - I don't know a lot about this movie, though have considered watching it for a while.

5) City of God (2002) - Seen part of it. I feel like that is a bad habit I have.

6) Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - Another classic by Sergio Leone that I haven't seen.

7) It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - Oh god, another old-timey movie.

13) Life Is Beautiful (1997) - I remember seeing advertisements for this movie all the time on VHS movies. Surprisingly never on my radar as a 12 year old kid.

14) The Intouchables (2011) - This will sound ridiculous (more ridiculous than my other comments), but I just couldn't get over the cover for this movie. It seems so happy. It bothers me. I've heard it's a really good movie, from many people.

15) Modern Times (1936) - Vaguely dreading having two Charlie Chaplin movies on this list, but maybe I have nothing to worry about.

16) The Pianist (2002) - I've had this movie for so long, and I just have never gotten around to seeing it.

17) The Lives of Others (2006) - This is another movie I've considered watching countless times, but it's never really lined up for some reason. I don't know much about it.

18) Boyhood (2014) - I am just going down the IMDB top 250, and this one snuck in between the movies I haven't scene. I am generally a fan of Linklater, and I'd intended to watch this at some point. Here it is, on the list!

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan; Psycho; Sunset Blvd.; Rear Window; City Lights

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Tsyni posted:

The first silent film I've seen.

Edit; oh god, now I see that I already made this very recommendation to you back in April. I am a huge pain in the rear end, please ignore me.

I see that you've got another Chaplin on your list. He is great, but at some point, I hope you consider Buster Keaton. I got turned on to him because of this thread and his movies operate on a totally different plane than Chaplin's. The General is one of the few movies (out of 90 some) that I've given a perfect score to. It's a silent comedy and it made me cry.

Keaton seems to be one of the heroes of this thread, a lot of people get turned on to him here. He's worth a watch, especially if you're new to silent films.

Chili fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 12, 2014

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Tsyni you get 12 Angry Men

Bronson(2009) dir. Nicolas Winding Refn
With Tom Hardy and OthersnotTomHardy

The film follows the life of notorious Welsh prisoner Michael Gordon Peterson(Tom Hardy), re-named Charles Bronson by his fight promoter, who became one of Britain's most dangerous criminals, and is known for having spent almost his entire life in solitary confinement.

I wasn't feeling this one all that much. Tom Hardy is unbelievable and carries the film all by himself, but I couldn't quite care for what Refn is doing here, or maybe failing to achieve. A true story that doesn't play out like your conventional biography, it's more a string of vignettes, various episodes of Bronson's life in and out of prison. These are broken up by Bronson talking directly to us, the film audience, or in it's more outlandish moments, Bronson performing his life story on a theater in front of a upper class audience wearing clown makeup. It gets weird.

There's not much story about Bronson, the man is just a straight nutter, and not much effort is put to understand him. Which I think is on purpose, but it's also where the film sort of loses me. All this hyper-style, those monologues, the clown antics, the ironic aesthetics, all make Bronson a very distant character to appreciate, and Bronson a film very empty and pointless. There's definitely some questions of how a man can be 34 years in prison for the crime of stealing 20 pounds(and later on his second run a 1000 pound ring), yet it comes up short constantly and is content with the ridiculousness(as a prison warden puts it) of it's titular character. After awhile it just gets boring to watch. Almost a disservice to Hardy's incredible performance. 68(Eh)

Week End Godard

Have watched so far 61 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dancer in the Dark, How Green Was My Valley, Vivre sa Vie, Harvey, The Earrings of Madame de..., The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Tokyo Drifter, The Player, Intolerable Cruelty, The Insider, Late Spring, Munich, Juliet of the Spirits, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, La Chienne, Le Cercle Rouge, The Lady Eve, Primer, Roma città aperta, Black Narcissus, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Simon of the Desert, A Foreign Affair, Branded to Kill, In Bruges, Black Swan, The White Diamond, The Sting, Romeo + Juliet, Bronson

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Electronico6 posted:

Thanks for the reminder that I need to put more Bergman on my list.

Four hours later, Lawrence of Arabia turned out to be an absolute masterpiece. It has a ton of parallels to Patton, but it seems to be a bit more on point in every regard. Peter O'Toole put out one of the greatest performances I've ever seen out of an actor. Like Patton, Lawrence is portrayed as a war hero and borderline psychopath. O'Toole is at his best when he's forced to portray Lawrence in times of moral ambiguity. Everything about this movie was great, it was the quickest four hours I'll ever spend watching a film. The shots are still breathtaking in 2014, and the score does a great job of adding to the grand scale of this epic. I don't know what to add beyond this. The film has a sterling reputation, and after seeing it, I'm willing to add my voice with the masses of praise.

New List:

1. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Another movie that lives in lore that I've never seen.

2. Three Colors: White - Continuing the trilogy.

3. The Searchers - I've not seen all that much from Mr. Wayne in my lifetime. I know this is universally considered his best.

4. The Hustler - I haven't seen a Paul Newman movie in a while, and this has always been part of cinematic lore.

5. Modern Times - The last movie in imdb's top 50 I haven't seen until some above average action movie slips in.

6. Her - I have nothing from the 2010s on here, and I've never seen a Spike Jonze film. Let's try it out.

7. Ran - Kurosawa hasn't been on this list in a while. I would definitely like to look into his work more.

Best Picture Bonanza (43/87)

8. The Sound of Music - I've heard the hills are alive, it sounds like a weird horror flick.

9. Rain Man - I guess I know the premise, but I've never really thought of seeing it.

10. Kramer vs. Kramer - I know Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman are both very good at acting. I don't know much other than the poster and the title pretty much insinuating this is going to be about a marriage gone wrong (maybe a court case).

Watched Count 109: Chinatown, 12 Angry Men, Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Godfather Part I, The Godfather Part II, Goodfellas, Do the Right Thing, A Clockwork Orange, Wall-E, Citizen Kane, Aliens, The Shawshank Redemption, Back to the Future, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Dr. Strangelove, Raging Bull, Rear Window, The Green Mile, Braveheart, Apocalypse Now, Seven Samurai, The Great Escape, City of God, Vertigo, Blue Velvet, Ratatouille, All Quiet on the Western Front, Mulholland Dr., Sunset Blvd., Bridge on the River Kwai, Memento, Unforgiven, The Usual Suspects, Network, The Social Network, Psycho, Black Swan, The Professional (Leon), Duck Soup, Up, The Silence of the Lambs, The Hurt Locker, Animal Crackers, American Beauty, The Princess Bride, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Great Dictator, The King's Speech, American History X, Taxi Driver, The Philadelphia Story, Cars, Dial M for Murder, Amélie, Spirited Away, North by Northwest, Paths of Glory, Some Like it Hot, On the Waterfront, Platoon, Annie Hall, Patton, Harvey, Nikita, Yojimbo, How to Train Your Dragon, To Kill a Mockingbird, This is Spinal Tap, Fargo, Sin City, Wayne's World, A Streetcar Named Desire, Barton Fink, Slumdog Millionaire, No Country for Old Men, Rashomon, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Wild Strawberries, Rebecca, Dog Day Afternoon, The Departed, The Graduate, V for Vendetta, My Neighbor Totoro, E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial, City Lights, Life is Beautiful, Stand by Me, The Artist, Howl's Moving Castle, Good Will Hunting, Planet of the Apes, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, 12 Years a Slave, The Intouchables, The Grapes of Wrath, Ben-Hur, Three Colors: Blue, Grave of the Fireflies, Argo, Oldboy, Bicycle Thieves, Wings, Kiki's Delivery Service, Sunrise, Lawrence of Arabia

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

marionblack, so many good movies on your list. I'm going to pick Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Newman and Redford have great chemistry, and it is a fun film.

Nosferatu was great. This movie was creepy. Loved Max Schreck's performance. Also loved the visuals. Highly recommended. I liked it better than the 1931 Dracula.

My List:
Patton - George C. Scott is a very underrated actor. Was great in The Hustler and A Christmas Carol.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

Faust - Looking forward to another Murnau film.

True Grit - The original version. Been a while since a western was on my list.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

Howl's Moving Castle - Need to see some more Miyazaki.

Ran - Heard this is one of Kurosawa'a best, so I am really looking forward to seeing it.

The King and I - 1956 version.

House of Wax - I've never seen a Vincent Price picture (except for Edward Scissorhands)

The Man Who Knew Too Much - More Hitchcock here. This will be the remake with Jimmy Stewart.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 13, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Dmitri Russkie, go watch Patton

Blood Simple definitely feels like a Coen brothers movie. Their first instance of what's been a recurring theme in their work, people loving up at crime. I don't really have much to say other than that it's a very solid, entertaining thriller.

The List:

1. City Lights: I've never seen a Chaplin movie, or even a silent movie.

2. Memories of Murder: I made it 10 minutes into this once and realized I was going to fall asleep so I stopped

3. Throne of Blood: Kurosawa doing MacBeth sounds dope

4. Sunset Boulevard: I bought this on DVD like 8 years ago and it's still in the shrink wrap.

5. Eyes Wide Shut: This is my Kubrick slot now

6. The Life Aquatic: I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie.

7. North Dallas Forty: I've been told that this is the best football movie ever made. I like football and movies.

8. The King's Speech: I borrowed this from the library a few weeks ago but the DVD was scratched and gave out halfway through. I liked what I did see, though.

NEW 9. The Hudsucker Proxy: This is my Coen slot now

10. The Artist: I saw 10 minutes of this once and rolled my eyes pretty hard at it but I should probably give it another chance.

Watched (52): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing, A Fish Called Wanda, City of God, Psycho, Singin' in the Rain, Witness for the Prosecution, Se7en, The Wild Bunch, Oklahoma!, Cool Hand Luke, Paths of Glory, The Night of the Hunter, Blood Simple

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Alfred P. Pseudonym please watch Eyes Wide Shut - (you love it or hate it, but it‘s a Kubrick):D

-----------------------

Slumdog Millionaire: Ok i did it. After nearly two weeks of missing internet and PC issues, the movie found his way on my TV.
First I noticed, I like the kind of story telling. The associations with things happened in the past from the main actor are a interesting, but not new, way to tell.
All the time I had the feeling the move is not sure wich way he wants to go more in the line with other popcorn movies or maybe a bit closer to the great Independent films to show us more the real, unmasked, India.
The movie has great pictures from the living in India, on the other side the film takes in some places not themselves seriously but that is mostly ok.
At the end it is more a popcorn movie as a dramatic, sad story from the living for millions of people in India what it would have if they did it more seriously. The movie has moments and it shimmers from time to time all the potential of the story but at the end I feel they cut it to bring it more in line for the mainstream audience.

The movie is not wasted time for my opinion, if you watch it.

I give Slumdog Millionaire a 6.5/10 rating.

-----------------------

My List:
  1. The King's Speech - this film I wanted for so long even see it but have always forgotten...

2. Life of Pi - I think I hate it like the old man and the sea

3. Total Recal (remake) – Nothing can top the original "NEW in List"

4. Nightmare (remake) - I love the originals! all tasers I saw, a voice wispers "no no no" to me.

5. The Physician - the speech book was good so I have my own pictures in mind no place for
    this movie

6. Big Miracle - Drew Barrymore is great no idea why I missed this movie

7. 47 Ronin - read about the misstakes and trouble to bring this movie on screen, not realy
    interest to see neo as samurai...

8. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues - first part wasn't funny, sure the second part too

9. A Madea Christmas - nothing absolutly nothing tops Bad Santa as christmass movie!

10. Donnie Darko - all loved this, no idea if I missed great cinematic entertainment

Shameful Watched (001): Slumdog Millionaire,

XenJ fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 13, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Electronico6 posted:

There's definitely some questions of how a man can be 34 years in prison for the crime of stealing 20 pounds(and later on his second run a 1000 pound ring)

I had assumed he had his sentences extended over his incessant violence against the guards.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

I had assumed he had his sentences extended over his incessant violence against the guards.

I was thinking more in the sense that a system like that can not only keep him inside for 34 years, but also utterly fail at doing anything to change or help his behaviour. He never does a major crime, and the one he does(and fails at) ends up with him sent to another kind of mental asylum. The asylum scenes is where the film seems to grasp this better. "We are lion tamers here*gives potent paralytic drugs*".

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
XenJ, the only movies of yours I've seen are Life of Pi and Donnie Darko, so I'll give you the better one and say you should watch Life Of Pi.

Crimes & Misdemeanors - Really, really good. I can see why Woody Allen is a respected filmmaker, even if he's not a respectable person. Some very good cinematography, making nice use of apartments and houses. The screenplay is fantastic, and alternates smoothly between poignancy and humor. It touches on a lot of topics, just as the loss of love, morality, religion, how the last two intersect, and more. I loved the pacing and the timing of the movie; it knew exactly when to switch the focus of the movie between the two main stories. I'm very glad I watched it.

Here's my list:
NEW 1) Boogie Nights - PTA is one of those directors I want to explore more, because his other things haven't quite clicked with me. Maybe this one will

2) The Seventh Seal - I liked Ian McKellen's cameo as Death in Last Action Hero

3) Pan's Labyrinth - This is supposed to have amazing production design, and another goon made fun of me for not watching it.

4) The Hidden Fortress - I love A New Hope, and I love Kurosawa, so this feels like a movie I should love, but I've never seen it.

5) The Holy Mountain - My film teacher said I'd like Jodorowsky if I like Hausu a lot, but I haven't had access to his movies until now.

6) Schindler's List - Spielberg is my dude, and I saw clips of this in a high school class, but never the full thing.

Unshamed: Royal Tenenbaums, 8 1/2, Crimes & Misdemeanors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

X-Ray Pecs posted:

XenJ, the only movies of yours I've seen are Life of Pi and Donnie Darko, so I'll give you the better one and say you should watch Life Of Pi.

uuuh both sounds terrible for me today :p but thx for giving me the "better" one... I start a try to watch it sunday. :D

I like this thread. So much great inspirations for movies I haven't seen for a long time or never heard before.