Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Eschatos posted:

That's why you stick on a heart of life to make up for any of the other hearts. Heart of life and black heart are excellent for turning stealthy thugs into assassins.

I admit the heart of life always seemed worthless to me. With the chest wound it inflicts, and the 3 base encumbrance that most units have, you usually only have a net gain of 2 reinvigoration each round - and that's assuming the unit has no armor. A girdle of might gives 50% more for 1/3 of the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Just put it on an undead or lifeless unit, whichever one doesn't have any melee encumbrance.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
This is skelespam:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Of all the titles to get, why beverage. Dont drink my goddess you jerks.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Rum fountain?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Malcolm posted:

Rum fountain?

Make a fountain of alcohol that gives all units within its dominion berserk +1/2/3/4/5 if over 5 candles to simulate nation of zealot alcoholics.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Captain Morgan is a powerful spirit that inhabits a sacred spring of spirits. The spirit possesses a girl to serve as its instrument. The chosen pledge is blindfolded and rendered unable to do anything other than drink. At the age of twenty-one, she is sacrificed and replaced with a new girl, who bears a similar appearance to her predecessor. Captain Morgan is immobile and cannot leave the spring it inhabits unless borne by sacred adherents. It can possess willing targets to perform tasks such as performing lewd acts and shaming one's character. The fountain is tremendously strong in its Dominion and magically powerful. The drink can be quaffed, but not easily.

Dominion: 2
New magic paths cost: 20

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
the only thing anyone knows about how fear works is that the manual is wrong

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Samog posted:

the only thing anyone knows about how fear works is that the manual is wrong

Or at least is not telling the whole truth.

Apparently the devs themselves arent even sure how fear works anymore because they forgot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also, you should give dracoliches fire orders because their breath weapon is a long range, wide area fear and disease attack. Back in MadPantheon I had one make Agartha's big blob of Seal Guardians go all nopenopenopenope after one shot.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

This is skelespam:

Jesus christ I really stood no chance, did I?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jon Joe posted:

This is skelespam:

How many mages did you need for that?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carcer posted:

Jesus christ I really stood no chance, did I?

Well there's wither bones and undead mastery in thaumaturgy, but both are death magic spells so... Yeah, skeleton spam needs more counters. Aside from fireballs.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Kurnugia posted:

Well there's wither bones and undead mastery in thaumaturgy, but both are death magic spells so... Yeah, skeleton spam needs more counters. Aside from fireballs.

There's also ravenous swarm. That'll make a dent in low level undead that skelly spam uses rather nicely.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gaghskull posted:

There's also ravenous swarm. That'll make a dent in low level undead that skelly spam uses rather nicely.

I tested Ravenous Swarm a few times and it seemed like it was only 1 square of undead per turn, I wasn't able to get it to 'grow' to cover more than 1 square per turn that I noticed so I'm not sure how useful it actually is as a spell.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Neruz posted:

I tested Ravenous Swarm a few times and it seemed like it was only 1 square of undead per turn, I wasn't able to get it to 'grow' to cover more than 1 square per turn that I noticed so I'm not sure how useful it actually is as a spell.

Huh. I used it against a c'tis trying skelly spam and it worked quite well. For every 10 souless he raised, 8 ate of them got eaten by rats before they got to my lines. Not sure why the results would be so different.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It says it works one target at a time. Does it even stack?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gaghskull posted:

I've seen people mention fire shield on a thug for clearing out skelly spam before. Fire cloud might also work quite well. It's a large AOE, lasts multiple rounds, and longdeads have very low hitpoints.

There's also cleansing water, which should affect undead according to its description. Solar rays too, although it's only AOE 1.

Failing that, most longdeads only have 9 MR. Banish spam should cut through them well enough, no? Requires indy priests and zero research.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Banish spam works. It gets especially hilarious if you can manage to set up a holy communion, though not everyone is capable of doing that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of priests. Is the preach action from a priest (or the temple check related to it) affected by the holy level?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of priests. Is the preach action from a priest (or the temple check related to it) affected by the holy level?

Preaching only works when candles < 2*preacher level. Past that, I don't think there is.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I think it might only be 2x if there's a temple, and it's 1x otherwise?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flame112 posted:

I think it might only be 2x if there's a temple, and it's 1x otherwise?

Manual says that a temple in the province a priest is preaching in multiplies his holy level by 1.5, but who knows if that's true or not

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I know an H1 priest can preach to 3 or 4 candles in a province with a temple so its definitely more than just x2.

(To clarify I have given H1 priests the preach order in a province with 3 candles + temple and not gotten the 'your priest cannot preach any higher' notice)

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
On the topic of skellyspam, it's very difficult to fight through it using conventional means. Even Banishment spam falls behind, and you're spending a lot of gold on units that are less universally useful than skellyspamming mages.

I've had the most luck playing around it, or stopping it before it gets started. If they go short on troops and you're on defense, you can often use flyers and things like Swarm to tie them up T1. If they go heavy on bad troops to effectively block your flyers, you may be able to HP rout their army quickly.

Spells like Earthquake, Rain of Stones, Foul Vapors, Bloodletting and Heat from Hell are handy ways to get around a growing mountain of skeletons and kill the mages behind them. Typically the mages that are used to cost-effectively skellyspam are weak and poorly armored.

Those tactics won't help you as much vs things like Dai Oni, Angakoks and Carrion Lords, but at least you won't be fighting as many of those compared to C'tis massing Reborn.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I just bought Dom 4. Are there any popular mods among goons' multiplayer games or are they mostly vanilla?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Pretty vanilla but some people like Worthy Heroes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

This is skelespam:

Dominions 4 is a game about skeletons and the (un)lives they lead

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magil Zeal posted:

Dominions 4 is a game about skeletons and the (un)lives they lead

And now I understand why. poo poo be broken

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Neruz posted:

I know an H1 priest can preach to 3 or 4 candles in a province with a temple so its definitely more than just x2.

(To clarify I have given H1 priests the preach order in a province with 3 candles + temple and not gotten the 'your priest cannot preach any higher' notice)

I'm pretty sure the maximum is twice the priest level, plus one if there's a temple. I've had level 1 priests get a province up to 3, but never 4, and prophets can boost it to 7.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Jabarto posted:

I'm pretty sure the maximum is twice the priest level, plus one if there's a temple. I've had level 1 priests get a province up to 3, but never 4, and prophets can boost it to 7.

It's the priest's H level plus one, doubled if there's a temple in the province. I'm not sure if it doubles the H+1 or just the H though.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

How many mages did you need for that?

21, in a communion; that's 11 mages casting horde of skeletons and 10 absorbing the fatigue.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jon Joe posted:

21, in a communion; that's 11 mages casting horde of skeletons and 10 absorbing the fatigue.

Any casualties?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Kurnugia posted:

Any casualties?

None for the mages, due to the slave redundancy. I lost my frontliners, but their job was to only hold long enough for the skelespam to build, anyway.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jabarto posted:

And we have a winner. Also it's 30% chance to successfully generate a candle per H level. So you have to get all the way to H4 before it's guaranteed. Usually if you are interested in preaching H2s are the most economical way to do it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Another strategy that hasn't worked as well as I expected it to.

I thought middle-age Lemuria would be strong, at least for their sacred units. Ethereal, no need to eat, inherently magic weapons...with a quickness blessing and that one level 4 priest spell for undead, they also can get about 20(!) defense before any unit experience, which seems pretty darn good. I'd think that they could survive well, despite having no actual protection. But in practice, it doesn't seem to work very well - I bleed vestals regularly, and can't keep up any momentum in victory because I have to pull back to reinforce.

I guess probably they're getting arrowed, thinking of it. With no protection, no shield, and low HP, the only thing keeping an arrow from killing them is being ethereal, and that's not half as great of a defense as one might expect. Maybe I need some screeners with shields and armor in front of them. Or a spell could work later on, but that doesn't help at the beginning.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

I thought middle-age Lemuria would be strong, at least for their sacred units. Ethereal, no need to eat, inherently magic weapons...with a quickness blessing and that one level 4 priest spell for undead, they also can get about 20(!) defense before any unit experience, which seems pretty darn good. I'd think that they could survive well, despite having no actual protection. But in practice, it doesn't seem to work very well - I bleed vestals regularly, and can't keep up any momentum in victory because I have to pull back to reinforce.

I guess probably they're getting arrowed, thinking of it. With no protection, no shield, and low HP, the only thing keeping an arrow from killing them is being ethereal, and that's not half as great of a defense as one might expect. Maybe I need some screeners with shields and armor in front of them. Or a spell could work later on, but that doesn't help at the beginning.

Typically scripting tricks will save them; a few units are set in the front to catch arrows with the command to guard commander (make sure your commander isn't flimsy enough to die from a stray arrow!) which will pull the archers forward trying to fire on them, while you set your vestals on the side and back a bit, set to attack rear. They'll move forward quickly due to the bless to engage enemy units while the archers still faff about with bait, typically. That's only for expansion; strategies change considerably versus human players, who can set their archers into multiple squads set to fire none so they each target a different squad, and at least one will target your vestals typically. Against such players the trick is to use the vestals as raiders, as they're really good at that, and your main armies as counters to your opponent's armies, especially killing archers they recruit, until they switch away from that, then you can bring in the vestals into the main fold again.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Ah, I'm not even going to bother playing against other people, as I know I'd lose horribly. I don't have the patience for the micromanagement required to really play the game well, so I'm just faffing about with the AI.

I'll give that a try next time, though. Right now I'm playing late-age Lemuria, where I rushed to cast Burden of Time as soon as possible, as my previous attempts with them also foundered on a lack of units. I'm holing up in my little corner waiting for the world to die, which seems to be happening fairly effectively - the stacks they're throwing at me are getting smaller.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Defense avoids arrows as well as a shield. Mechanically speaking, a def 13 and shield parry 7 unit is the same as an unit with def 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurnugia posted:

And now I understand why. poo poo be broken
To be fair, Scelaria can do that poo poo, maybe even better than Ermor itself, the thing that Ermor does that's especially insidious is that it completely annihilates provinces to the point where you need a ton of supply items to go anywhere without diseasing and starving your forces, and their provinces are worth nothing but the gems.

• Locked thread