Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Smashed up a couple of display bases for a buddy's drop pods as if mid-arrival.

The multi-layering of painted cotton worked out a lot better than I expected.

Now I wish I still had drop pods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I can't quite see it but it does look good.

Can we get a pic of the 1992 Whirlwind mentioned? The one that has the stamp on it that says Gamesworkshop. Was interested in that.

Also, their already booking for Adepticon, we should plan a Goonmeet. I am going but just to play free games, Necromunda, and hopefully Warhammer Quest. A narrative if the figures are provided.

I just don't want to lug poo poo to Schaumburg, also Schaumburg loving sucks.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 12, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

I can't quite see it but it does look good.

Can we get a pic of the 1992 Whirlwind mentioned? The one that has the stamp on it that says Gamesworkshop. Was interested in that.

The copyright info isn't really visible there, but it's in that slope just under the launcher's barrels. I actually have that Vindicator too; it's sitting in Simple Green as I write this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I don't even remember that Vindicator. I do remember the Wave Serpent that they had and the goofy chicken leg Eldar Walker. I startd playing right at the end of Rogue Trader, right when 2nd edition came out.

Bucktooth Tyranid Warriors, Marneus Commodus, good times. I played unfortunately Ultramarines, which was dumb because my store had these huge styrofoam prepainted hills that were like 3 inches tall and just barely covered a Eldar Jetbike , so of loving course my friend just hid behind them and did pop up attacks and killed everything with Jetbikes Maugen Ra and Dark Reapers. Oh and Mind Warred everything to death while I played Tigurius and cast Vortex as much as I could.

Ugh gently caress 2nd edition Eldar, gently caress them to pieces.

I never won a single loving game versus Eldar or really any other army, loving Marines were the suck. Terminators were actually awesome though.

I remember buying the White Dwarfs just to get the Vindicare for Shield Breaker and the Callidus assassins. That helped but otherwise it sucked dick to play Marines and Imperial Guard could get 70 percent of their army dead on the first turn with Virus Outbreak. Especially if they played gunline.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 12, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

The copyright info isn't really visible there, but it's in that slope just under the launcher's barrels. I actually have that Vindicator too; it's sitting in Simple Green as I write this.

I seriously thought that was a freedom cannon for a second.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

I seriously thought that was a freedom cannon for a second.

It's basically a garbage can hot glued to the front of a Rhino.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

SRM posted:

Informative :words:
TL;DR: It's a good plan if you want to build a diverse, good looking force, but not exactly a super focused or super competitive one.
Sounds perfect, then. Just starting, so it's not like I could pull of that sort of thing anyways.

LingcodKilla posted:

Curious... Would you trade your dark angels for my chaos ?
Might. They're off the sprues already, but I'll keep them unpainted for now. Shipping would be a headache, though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

An Angry Bug posted:

Sounds perfect, then. Just starting, so it's not like I could pull of that sort of thing anyways.

Might. They're off the sprues already, but I'll keep them unpainted for now. Shipping would be a headache, though.

If they are just off the sprues and not glued I'd be down. Would just be a matter of $5 shipping box.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Esser-Z posted:

Thanks to IRC, I am now determined to do an Ork Skool Bus.

This was scratch built based off of a pattern I found here.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Just played my first game with my knight against Tau. The knight didn't do poo poo. A broadside squad with tank-hunting took out half of its hull points before I even hard a turn. Then deep striking meltas on suits finished it off turn 2. Not a great start to its career. Still, drew fire away from my Tyranids. Ended up only losing by 1 victory point.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Hey guys , I'm selling my Nurgle CSM stuff over in the SA-Mart. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664357

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
A sister of one of my friends had a deadbeat boyfriend move out and leave some of his poo poo behind that she was trying to unload on people before tossing it into the curb. My name got recommended as a recipient of the warhams that were left in her closet. Now I am richer by one (old) Tyranid Battleforce in box, and one small Eldar army.

I've only played against Eldar once or twice in my life, and have never collected the models before this year. I had picked up a metal Seer Council from consignment at my FLGS because they were cool models and were cheap, but they've been sitting in a box since last winter.

There's a lot of metal, which makes me happy. I have no idea what most of this is, and have even less idea about what I can do with it. Help me, please! What do I have? What can I do with it? And most importantly, what awesome Eldar colors should I paint them?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Looks like a couple of squads of Guardians, a seer council, a farseer, Eldrad, Fuegan, Jain Zar, a squad of swooping hawks, a squad of Scorpions, a squad of Warp Spiders, a Falcon, a Viper, a couple of jetbikes, and a Wraithlord.

As for what to do with them... I have no idea.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Well, you got yourself a Falcon that looks like it's painted in Craftworld Il-Kaithe colours, plus two Jetbikes, a Vyper jetbike and an old metal Wraithlord

The second tray looks like 24 Guardians at this distance.

The first tray is, left to right, top row: Warlock, 5x Warp Spider, Guardian, Eldrad
second row: Jain Zar, unknown, unknown, a star cannon, 2x Guardians, Fuegan, and some bitz
third row: Warlock, unknown, Warp Spider, I think 3x Warlocks, Guardian, Warp Spider Exarch

The blisters look like Striking Scorpions on the left, and Swooping Hawks on the right.

You can certainly field a legal force out of that! Might not be the winningest force, but you can have fun with it - need 1 more Jetbike to make a minimum squad though

Try the Lexicanum, they have all the existing in fiction Craftworlds and a lot of them have colours

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The 'unknown's are two swooping hawks in the 2nd row, and a striking scorion in the 3rd.
That's also a Farseer top left, not a warlock.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Renfield posted:

That's also a Farseer top left, not a warlock.

It's not a sculpt I'm familiar with, figured a pistol and sword made it a Warlock - the Farseer with that pose, at least the Finecast one I have, has a dagger instead of a pistol

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Nice, thanks y'all. I don't play much 40k these days, but this was a cool surprise from my friend. I'm going to make some repairs and give them a try on beerhammer night for a change of pace.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

This reminds me--I have an old late 2nd/3rd ed vindicator that I'm not using (because my IW don't really need 4 of them and I hate the old Rhino chasis). If you would like to have it, shoot me a PM.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
If anyone lives near King George Virginia who's free this Saturday morning I am aware of an insane amount of 40k stuff that is for sale at about 10% of what it is worth there, and I would pay you to pick it up for me! Alternatively you could just get it for yourself, either way. PM me for details.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/C/Castigator.pdf

Test rules are up.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey Carl, did you by any chance listen to the Yakface interview on the last episode of D6G? Any thoughts about his take on the state of play?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

D strength weapon that rerolls armor pen. Forgeworld.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I was expecting basically a vulcan megabolter. The one this thing carries hits quite a bit harder.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

D strength weapon that rerolls armor pen. Forgeworld.

What D Strength weapon?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Fearless posted:

I was expecting basically a vulcan megabolter. The one this thing carries hits quite a bit harder.

How? It has 1 more strength and sacrifices 7 shots, I'd rather have the megabolter. I guess it's better against Bikes?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fix posted:

Hey Carl, did you by any chance listen to the Yakface interview on the last episode of D6G? Any thoughts about his take on the state of play?

I didn't finish listening to it yet. I just got to the beginning of it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Fix posted:

What D Strength weapon?

Oh, my lovely cracked phone and my assumptions made me read that 10 as a D.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ghost Hand posted:

I didn't finish listening to it yet. I just got to the beginning of it.

Well, buckle in. It's long. Much of it is straight rules changes recap, and a lot of it is RAW v RAI argument, but I found his take on the collection of rules as part of the hobby to be pretty compelling and in line with my own main concerns.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Direwolf posted:

How? It has 1 more strength and sacrifices 7 shots, I'd rather have the megabolter. I guess it's better against Bikes?

My mistake, I thought it had better AP than the vulcan. It could still tear up an AV13 vehicle pretty good, though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Fix posted:

Well, buckle in. It's long. Much of it is straight rules changes recap, and a lot of it is RAW v RAI argument, but I found his take on the collection of rules as part of the hobby to be pretty compelling and in line with my own main concerns.

This sounds interesting, but not so much that I want to download and listen to a long podcast. Mind summarizing his thoughts?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fix posted:

So I scanned through a lot of the rules overviews. I'm aware of what the changes are and don't need to worry too much about that discussion. I did listen to about the last half of the discussion though.

I think he (Yakface) makes some good points. IMHO, his observations primarily impact tournament players and pick up game styles of 40k. I will say that while I agree with some of his points, I found myself completely disagreeing with Russ on many of his thoughts here. Which is really interesting because I USUALLY agree with Russ, but do not agree with Craig. However in this episode my opinions were reversed.

For me - I actually play with a fairly regular group of people, we often discuss in advance what TYPE of game we want to play and come prepared to play that type. Remember, I have been an advocate of Forge World in games for the last 5 years. So we are used to this type of gaming approach. One of the chief complaints I usually hear about this is "You can't just pop into a store and play someone you don't know with your 1500 point list." I get it. I look at it from the other direction though.

For those people willing to invest the time and energy in it - I think the game provides a much better experience than ever before. But there IS some up front work that needs to be done to get to that point. I think instead, you have community builders in stores that are facilitating these discussions in advance and helping guide their stores meta. I have seen this done in several stores in our area to greater or lesser degrees of success. I strongly feel that ultimately this can draw gamers closer together and provide much richer experiences in 40k gaming. This has been my experience so far anyway...

I also completely understand the opposite side of that coin. For those people who want to show up and throw down to any comers... I'm sorry to say that I don't think GW is making the game for you. I think arguing against that is silly. It's obvious (and has been shown!) that GW is making a game not focused on tournament play. It requires quite a bit of work to make it a tournament style game at this point. I think guys like Reece and Frankie of Frontline Gaming are going about this right. For those who don't know, they are polling players before and after events and then adjusting accordingly.

As Russ pointed out, Warmachine fits this niche for him quite well, and I totally understand why some people go that direction. More power to them! I say do what you enjoy and play with the people you enjoy.

I truly believe, more than ever, that your experience within Warhammer 40k is what you make of it. For me (and most of my group I think) 7th edition is proving highly enjoyable. It is actually spinning up in popularity around here it seems, but again my view may be distorted based upon the type of people I attract because of the tone of my Podcast...

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oh, my lovely cracked phone and my assumptions made me read that 10 as a D.

Nice shot quick draw McGraw!

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Direwolf posted:

If anyone lives near King George Virginia who's free this Saturday morning I am aware of an insane amount of 40k stuff that is for sale at about 10% of what it is worth there, and I would pay you to pick it up for me! Alternatively you could just get it for yourself, either way. PM me for details.

That's about 2 hours away from me up in Baltimore. I wonder if it's worth the drive...

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

GhostHand posted:

:words:

I pretty well agree with all of that. I felt that much of his complaint about the changes in 7th come from someone who spent a whole lot of time trying to make the game into a competitive ruleset and finally had to throw his hands up and move on. The fact that GW has been saying it wasn't a competitive game just about forever now should have probably been a pretty solid clue, but... well...

But I can totally get behind the idea that there is an element to collecting in this game that involves the rules specifically and while I am not and never was as big of a completionist as he was, one of the specific things about 40k that I liked was getting all the codexes in order to have a better idea of the whole scope of the rules. He mentions having to make the difficult choice of going digital and giving up his physical library of games rules, which was ultimately the first step in his quitting the game since he no longer had that anchor there. Like he said, if they had some kind of support for getting a cheap digital copy when you buy a physical book, they'd have seen more money out of him. I'd probably be the same way for what I buy.

I think the new "premium product" pricing GW is doing isn't well suited to rules and rulebooks, especially with the supplemental codexes and side products like Escalation and Stronghold where the actual return on investment is so low. It's a very similar problem to the one that had people shying away from Forgeworld in the first place. The barrier for entry was too high and there were so many small rules for people to either learn or deal with not knowing when they sit down at the table.

I think you're right vis-a-vis the core community building groups, and honestly when it comes to rules and rulebooks and the like local groups are probably best off building a sort of codex library at their local stores (to the detriment of the digital buyers) or just amongst players (since stores probably won't enjoy people borrowing books they're selling).

I don't know, I guess that it's just a shift that needs to take place, away from needing to know exactly what you're up against before you play, or structuring your play group so it limits options or plans far out in advance. But our local scene has lost a great number of players who haven't been able to make that shift, and it's not because they're all hardcore tournament players. It's just because they can't keep up with it all, whether it's the pace of change or financially. And I don't think that it's a matter of models there. It's the pace of rules that drove them off.

One thing I will say about that interview that I definitely agree with is the Maelsrom cards and the randomness they inflict. There's a few simple ways to mitigate it, and it would have been nice to see those better playtested before this edition of the game was released. It wouldn't have made the game tournament balanced but it would have been easier to plan for.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fix posted:

Says stuff that rocks.

I agree with everything you just said.

Holy poo poo it IS the End of Times!

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Buying rules has been / still is one of my main annoyances with this game. For Orks there is the basic codex, the Ghazgul supplement, Sanctus reach, the main rule book, then all the other supplementary rule books to go with it (escalation, apoc, Imperial armour, etc). I still don't own a copy of 7th edition yet and I've only bought the basic Ork codex because goddamn, I shouldn't need to throw down several hundreds of dollars just for the rules to play the game. It's pretty nuts.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ghost Hand posted:

I agree with everything you just said.

Holy poo poo it IS the End of Times!

I honestly have no idea where you get this idea that we disagree about things.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

CyberLord XP posted:

Buying rules has been / still is one of my main annoyances with this game. For Orks there is the basic codex, the Ghazgul supplement, Sanctus reach, the main rule book, then all the other supplementary rule books to go with it (escalation, apoc, Imperial armour, etc). I still don't own a copy of 7th edition yet and I've only bought the basic Ork codex because goddamn, I shouldn't need to throw down several hundreds of dollars just for the rules to play the game. It's pretty nuts.

For once its nice being a Tyranid player, I've only had to get the codex and the BRB. The IA 4:2.0 was purely because it kicks so much rear end.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hummm. A melee weapon with Deflagrate that rerolls armor pen. That makes it really good against hordes and pretty drat good against everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Hummm. A melee weapon with Deflagrate that rerolls armor pen. That makes it really good against hordes and pretty drat good against everything else.

The sweep attack is pretty rad too.

• Locked thread