Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

neetengie posted:

Unban BBE, unban Jace and let the meta figure it out.

I assume this was a facetious post but Caleb Durward actually just addressed the 'unban 'em both!' argument in his most recent column. Namely, the response is that even if the JTMS and BBE deck(s) countered each other, it would be oppressively hard for decks that aren't those two to get a foothold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

neetengie posted:

Flashback drafts!?! Does that mean...cube?

Yep, comes back on the 17th.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Holy poo poo the MTGO calendar of events stuff on the wotc website is AWFUL.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

I assume this was a facetious post but Caleb Durward actually just addressed the 'unban 'em both!' argument in his most recent column. Namely, the response is that even if the JTMS and BBE deck(s) countered each other, it would be oppressively hard for decks that aren't those two to get a foothold.

JTMS is getting unbanned on the first of never. They seem to really dislike Brainstorm-type effects.

Pyronic posted:

Holy poo poo MTGO/the wotc website is AWFUL.

Edited for clarity.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

JerryLee posted:

I think it's more reasonable for SFM to be unbanned as long as Butterskull gets banned. I think having her in would help with Aggro decks, since Nacatl didn't.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yep, comes back on the 17th.
gently caress yes, more of a money sink I can suck at!
So how do Flashback drafts work in general?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

next week is Tempest block flashback drafts

Well, I'm glad I saved up $150 in tickets. I'm drafting until I have my Wastelands. It seems less likely that I'll get my Lili of the Veils in the Innistrad drafts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

suicidesteve posted:

Well, I'm glad I saved up $150 in tickets. I'm drafting until I have my Wastelands. It seems less likely that I'll get my Lili of the Veils in the Innistrad drafts.

Keep in mind that due to the excessive (by modern standards) number of uncommons, Wasteland is about as likely to show up in a given pack as any recent small-set rare.

I mean, yeah it's more likely than opening your Lilianas, but drafting enough to get a compete playset would probably take a while.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jabor posted:

Keep in mind that due to the excessive (by modern standards) number of uncommons, Wasteland is about as likely to show up in a given pack as any recent small-set rare.

I mean, yeah it's more likely than opening your Lilianas, but drafting enough to get a compete playset would probably take a while.

Well I figure I'm owed something by the RNG gods after ~25 VMA drafts gave me exactly 0 pieces of power, 1 Badlands (which was passed to me,) a Mana Drain, and a Jace.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Well I figure I'm owed something by the RNG gods after ~25 VMA drafts gave me exactly 0 pieces of power, 1 Badlands (which was passed to me,) a Mana Drain, and a Jace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There was a Jace in VMA?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Rinkles posted:

There was a Jace in VMA?
He is apparently, that surprises me as well. Slipped under my radar.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

This was my first deck and is a pretty good reason why I'm fond of Invasion block/GW :3:

PTQ this weekend, here's hoping I don't lose my win-and-in this time around.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Taken from a MtG facebook group, and presented without comment.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Frozen_flame posted:

Taken from a MtG facebook group, and presented without comment.

Beautiful :allears:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Am I missing something? I know Tarmogoyf is a strong and ridiculously expensive card but what's notable about some guy having a playset of them?

EDIT: Oh. White borders. That's... nice I guess?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pyronic posted:

Holy poo poo the MTGO calendar of events stuff on the wotc website is AWFUL.

ftfy

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Someone took the trouble of turning their borders white. Some players don't like the look of white borders, and there's also a stigma associated with them because they used to be how Wizards indicated sets of reprinted cards (like the pre M10 core sets.)

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Not to mention the loss in value because they "destroyed" the cards.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
You could say that about a lot of alters.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm wondering how viable Rabble Red will be with the one-drop Prowess creature after rotation; it would be a cheap deck to build while you wait for prices to drop.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Someone took the trouble of turning their borders white. Some players don't like the look of white borders, and there's also a stigma associated with them because they used to be how Wizards indicated sets of reprinted cards (like the pre M10 core sets.)

Well I think white borders are sexy. :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

I'm wondering how viable Rabble Red will be with the one-drop Prowess creature after rotation; it would be a cheap deck to build while you wait for prices to drop.

I don't think that one drop with Prowess is good enough to replace Legion Loyalist in that deck. But there will be a Rabblemaster aggro deck. I just don't think it will be mono red.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I KNEW i should have preordered butcher of the horde yesterday for 5 bucks.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I almost did but I figured a week after release he'll be at that price range anyway. $5 seems right for that guy since he'll be in every mardu deck, but he wont go as high as desecration demon did since he cant be used in as many decks.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

I don't think that one drop with Prowess is good enough to replace Legion Loyalist in that deck. But there will be a Rabblemaster aggro deck. I just don't think it will be mono red.

You may be right but that is my plan for now. The basic is something like

4 haste prowess guy
4 firedrinker satyr
4 foundry street denizen
4 2 drop raid 3/2 guy
4 rabblemaster
4 lightning strike
4 titan strength
2-4 searing blood
2-4 3 drop make 3 gob's thingy
lands

It is a work in progress, but it'll be serviceable for FNM, if not a SCG Open contender until I get the stuff I want together for Temur ramp.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I have a hard time believing any non mythic aside from the fetches will beat $10 until the summer. Fetches are going to put a lot of downward pressure on other rares. Rav had deathrite, abrupt and ?? both multi format all stars that have hovered around there. I haven't seen any cards that jump out quite so much. Keep in mind too that this set rotates 6 months sooner than usual.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

neetengie posted:

This is pretty accurate. I think it is pretty meta dependent on which you bring, Jund, Junk or The Rock. If you have pieces to make them, why not just look around the place and scout out who's playing what?

I probably will, it's mostly a question of which one I sleeve up before I arrive in case I don't have time to switch.

suicidesteve posted:

Jund has an absolutely horrendous mana base. And somehow, people see Courser as an actual card that should be in the deck, which is not a thing I'll ever agree with. But you do get the better cards in Anger, Bolt, Terminate, Chandra, Jund Charm, etc.

Junk is just loses to Pod. I would strongly recommend a few Drown in Sorrow in the side if you play Junk. It's not nearly as good as Anger, but it helps. I've also had great success with Bow of Nylea and Pack Rat, which is pretty much your best hope against Pod. Junk is basically BG with Wildwoods and Lingering Souls. You're not losing out on a whole lot by adding the white splash, and you're gaining a lot of value vs. a lot of decks. Affinity and Jund have an especially hard time beating Lingering Souls.

They're both awful against Tron.

I've seen the same problems with Jund's mana base as well, but I'm curious why you're down on Courser? In a grindy midrange deck, being able to control your draws with Courser & fetches, life gain, and making land drops seem like they're worth revealing your draws. Also, I've noticed Coursers draw removal that my opponents should be saving for Bob or Ooze. I haven't seen a lot of Pod around, but I have seen a lot of aggro and combo decks (Affinity, Scapeshift), as well as Jund itself.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I doubt it'll be good enough to be a thing; but Raid works really well with Prophetic Flamespeaker (and since I bought four before M15 and the Rabblemaster, I quite like that little guy). I really hope there's going to be a second cheap red raid guy for that.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
1r
2/1

Raid: you may play this guy during the combat phase if a creature had attacked thus turn, it comes into play tapped and attacking if played during the combat phase

Good or bad? You can play it after blocks so you get in for 2. I know the formatting is not correct

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Molybdenum posted:

I have a hard time believing any non mythic aside from the fetches will beat $10 until the summer. Fetches are going to put a lot of downward pressure on other rares. Rav had deathrite, abrupt and ?? both multi format all stars that have hovered around there. I haven't seen any cards that jump out quite so much. Keep in mind too that this set rotates 6 months sooner than usual.

Rest in Peace is very Legacy playable as well, and I know Supreme Verdict is seeing a bit of play.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Molybdenum posted:

1r
2/1

Raid: you may play this guy during the combat phase if a creature had attacked thus turn, it comes into play tapped and attacking if played during the combat phase

Good or bad? You can play it after blocks so you get in for 2. I know the formatting is not correct

I'm pretty sure that putting an attacker in after blocks have been declared is a gigantic headache that Wizards don't want to get into.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Are we not getting the full spoiler today? Isn't that how these things usually work?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Serperoth posted:

Rest in Peace is very Legacy playable as well, and I know Supreme Verdict is seeing a bit of play.

Yeah but those aren't over 10. Were they at release/during rav block? Reckoner was over 10 for awhile. Verdict was the BaB though so that probably put some downward pressure on it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

You still can!

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/khans-of-tarkir/butcher-of-the-horde

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I went with Channel fireball instead. Spent half of what I would have spent on a box while getting most of the stuff I am probably going to play for this set. Waiting on fetches when they drop in price.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Molybdenum posted:

Yeah but those aren't over 10. Were they at release/during rav block? Reckoner was over 10 for awhile. Verdict was the BaB though so that probably put some downward pressure on it.

I don't know, I was just mentioning RtR rares playable in eternal formats (and Modern, which also loves shocklands). I think it's almost impossible that fetches will retain their price, considering it's five cards (not just one) and are VERY much wanted in those formats, and this will help other cards go down in price (as you mentioned).

Even mythics I believe will be cheaper than usual. Maybe not :10bux:, but Elspeth's TCG mid price is already ~20 bucks, I think she'd easily be sub-20 in a set with fetches.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I went with Channel fireball instead. Spent half of what I would have spent on a box while getting most of the stuff I am probably going to play for this set. Waiting on fetches when they drop in price.

CFB is like 25% higher on singles than TCG...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm pretty sure that putting an attacker in after blocks have been declared is a gigantic headache that Wizards don't want to get into.

Yeah, you could just do "Raid: When ~ enters the battlefield, if a creature attacked this turn, tap ~ and deal damage equal to its power to target opponent"

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Skillface posted:

Are we not getting the full spoiler today? Isn't that how these things usually work?

We are but it doesn't go up until 8:00 am Pacific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

awesomebrah posted:

We are but it doesn't go up until 8:00 am Pacific.

Right, thanks!

• Locked thread