Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Puntification posted:

It's a genre/style that's generally pretty awful, probably because it's really expensive to do well.

Yeah. Makes me think if you really want to have an animated music video, have it done in 2D. Would be less likely to look hilariously dated the second it's released, I'd say.

Or have a very strong art direction that doesn't depend on looking as realistic as possible in your 3D vid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
As ever, Laibach lead the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4VMDxSyLAU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Yeah. Makes me think if you really want to have an animated music video, have it done in 2D. Would be less likely to look hilariously dated the second it's released, I'd say.

Or have a very strong art direction that doesn't depend on looking as realistic as possible in your 3D vid?

2D or stop-motion. Definitely don't do CG of people unless you have the bux for a proper job, but yeah if it was something abstract it would probably work out alright.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

KMFDM - Son of a Gun does the strong art direction thing and it still holds up OK.

Rotoscoping is also pretty "timeless" :)

david_a fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 13, 2014

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

A slight tangent from the topic, but did Vnv Nation ever do any official music videos?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Puntification posted:

2D or stop-motion. Definitely don't do CG of people unless you have the bux for a proper job, but yeah if it was something abstract it would probably work out alright.

It's more hilarious than good, but Faderhead's Fistful of gently caress You video integrates 2D and actual filming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlCLQqhiOg

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

13Pandora13 posted:

It's more hilarious than good, but Faderhead's Fistful of gently caress You video integrates 2D and actual filming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlCLQqhiOg

I played a lot of sidescrolling beat'em ups growing up so I like the style however I hate faderhead so this video leaves me conflicted. I also found it interesting that while beating up dogs was not acceptable he didn't have the same qualms about fighting the homeless, black guys or drag queens.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I really hate Faderhead too, but I saw them at WGT this year and honestly enjoyed myself quite a lot.

then again the fact that I was completely wasted off my rear end at that point might've played a role hmm

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

I really hate Faderhead too, but I saw them at WGT this year and honestly enjoyed myself quite a lot.

then again the fact that I was completely wasted off my rear end at that point might've played a role hmm

They played resistanz earlier this year, billed as a secret band after Rotersand dropped out at the last minute, there was a rumour it was gonna be someone good (can't remember who) and a large number of us were instantly disappointed and left in disgust. That's my seeing Faderhead live story.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Puntification posted:

I played a lot of sidescrolling beat'em ups growing up so I like the style however I hate faderhead so this video leaves me conflicted. I also found it interesting that while beating up dogs was not acceptable he didn't have the same qualms about fighting the homeless, black guys or drag queens.

Pretty sure he beats off the first bulldog he encounters. Maybe he just misread his cue?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
outrage for the outrage throne

fake e: faderdude just reminds goons of the jocks that beat them up, they can't help hating him. he is the dudebro of industrial though

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Faderhead is dumb but his blog is actually pretty interesting and surprisingly, even brutally honest about the way they do things. For example, I really appreciate the fact that even if every laptop they have fails, they can still deliver a show. Very considerate and nice for the fans who'll most likely rather take a show with the music coming from an mp3 on a phone than nothing at all. I can dig that.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

even if every laptop they have fails, they can still deliver a show. Very considerate and nice for the fans who'll most likely rather take a show with the music coming from an mp3 on a phone than nothing at all. I can dig that.

That's just common sense, our emergency backup is basically anything that can play/stream mp3s.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

W424 posted:

That's just common sense, our emergency backup is basically anything that can play/stream mp3s.

I'm a student and literally don't have enough money to have a backup system of any kind set up yet :shobon:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Puntification posted:

They played resistanz earlier this year, billed as a secret band after Rotersand dropped out at the last minute, there was a rumour it was gonna be someone good (can't remember who) and a large number of us were instantly disappointed and left in disgust. That's my seeing Faderhead live story.

Really? Everyone I was with knew it was faderhead. Also when I was walking up to the venue I saw sami walk into the side entrance which is pretty drat secret haha.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Babby Sathanas posted:

Really? Everyone I was with knew it was faderhead. Also when I was walking up to the venue I saw sami walk into the side entrance which is pretty drat secret haha.

We were told by a friend of mine who was also djing so we all assumed he had some inside info but he actually just talking out of his arse. It wasn't just my group though I was met with a line of angry looking people when I went in to see who it was as well.

DeusExMachinima posted:

outrage for the outrage throne

fake e: faderdude just reminds goons of the jocks that beat them up, they can't help hating him. he is the dudebro of industrial though

If you're gonna act out a power fantasy in your video and you don't consider what your choice of targets says about you you're an idiot, if you do and think beating up drag queens, hobos and black guys makes you look cool you're a wanker. There's no outrage, just tedium, which sums up faderhead really. Are jocks even a thing outside America?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Power fantasy? The whole thing was a fun joke. For every Covenant there's a bunch of navel gazers. I'll take a Faderhead or Gothsicles to break it up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy_UJCjXbGA

e: like, I'm seriously at a loss. Everyone jokes about autistic goons but if you watch that MV and see power fantasy... idk

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 15, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

Power fantasy? The whole thing was a fun joke. For every Covenant there's a bunch of navel gazers. I'll take a Faderhead or Gothsicles to break it up.
Yeah. The Faderheads and Combichrists aren't my thing, but it's really not worth caring about.

Puntification posted:

Are jocks even a thing outside America?
Ohhhhhh yeah. But they wear soccer kits instead of football jerseys. This conversation feels like high school...

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 15, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Interesting Youth Code interview.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

DeusExMachinima posted:

Power fantasy? The whole thing was a fun joke. For every Covenant there's a bunch of navel gazers. I'll take a Faderhead or Gothsicles to break it up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy_UJCjXbGA

e: like, I'm seriously at a loss. Everyone jokes about autistic goons but if you watch that MV and see power fantasy... idk

He's literally the unstoppable, highscoring protagonist who beats everyone up, so yeah it's a power fantasy even if it's a jokey one. To be honest even though I dislike the band if it had just been other bands he'd fought I'd have liked the video but it wasn't so I thought it was dumb instead. I empathise with the need to break up the prevalence of po-faced purveyors of futurepop though.

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah. The Faderheads and Combichrists aren't my thing, but it's really not worth caring about.

My explanation for why I don't like a particular video is serious business that everyone should care about.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Gothsicles are a million times more fun than Faderhead could dream of being.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Pope Guilty posted:

The Gothsicles are a million times more fun than Faderhead could dream of being.

And super duper cooler and nicer in person.

For every Sami Is A Dick story there's a Brian Is So Nice story.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Youth Code are up on Pitchfork Advance with the new record.

http://pitchfork.com/advance/544-a-place-to-stand/

Its incredible.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

Its incredible.

I'm torn between how thoroughly this rules and what a godawful resource hog the streaming program is that loading a new page in a different browser causes the audio to briefly degrade.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

magiccarpet posted:

Its incredible.

Goddamn, this owns a lot.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My local distributor already has my copy of Project Pitchfork's Blood ready to pick up. I couldn't grab it today, will get it tomorrow.

CAT rear end now!!!, or anyone heard it yet?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

My local distributor already has my copy of Project Pitchfork's Blood ready to pick up. I couldn't grab it today, will get it tomorrow.

CAT rear end now!!!, or anyone heard it yet?

It's actually up on Spotify already.

It ooooowns

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Some thoughts after my first listen-through: As an album it's definitely a move away from the increasingly anthemic direction PP has been heading in since Dream, Tiresias!. It's darker and nastier, unsettling, even, it's angry and aggressive it's glitchy, and as a whole it just seems to have a kind of... "viscosity" to it. Like it very much sounds like the title Blood itself: it's thick and bubbly and threatening. It never really slows down, either. (Also Peter's Daimonion-voice is back again :swoon:) It's very much a Project Pitchfork album, but it also definitely shows a new project Pitchfork again, which is something the last couple of albums didn't really do. The change was more incremental there, but here it's brought to the forefront again.

It's good. It's a loving good rear end loving album and I am loving mad this guy manages to turn out insane albums in the space of like half a year. Seriously he said in an interview he started work on the album in January. What he hell, man. Like how do you even make tracks like Blood-Lust or Blood-Moon.

Edit: or Blood-Thirst. Jesus christ what

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 18, 2014

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Is a Front 242 show worth $42? I guess they're playing here next week.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's actually up on Spotify already.
Wasn't on Rdio on Tuesday, but is today oddly. Can't wait to listen tonight.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

magiccarpet posted:

Is a Front 242 show worth $42? I guess they're playing here next week.

If you like them, sure is. They still have great energy onstage and some of the songs sound amazing live, imho.

Edit: should hopefully be going to a pretty awesome industrial event tomorrow. Douglas McCarthy being interviewed live by the editor of The Quietus, preview of some kickstarted film involving Genesis P-Orridge exploring voodoo and then a live set from Douglas' new project DJMREX as well as a DJ playing really old school industrial and related music.

http://youtu.be/NuD7d5Sn0f4

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 19, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Some thoughts after my first listen-through: As an album it's definitely a move away from the increasingly anthemic direction PP has been heading in since Dream, Tiresias!. It's darker and nastier, unsettling, even, it's angry and aggressive it's glitchy, and as a whole it just seems to have a kind of... "viscosity" to it. Like it very much sounds like the title Blood itself: it's thick and bubbly and threatening. It never really slows down, either. (Also Peter's Daimonion-voice is back again :swoon:) It's very much a Project Pitchfork album, but it also definitely shows a new project Pitchfork again, which is something the last couple of albums didn't really do. The change was more incremental there, but here it's brought to the forefront again.

It's good. It's a loving good rear end loving album and I am loving mad this guy manages to turn out insane albums in the space of like half a year. Seriously he said in an interview he started work on the album in January. What he hell, man. Like how do you even make tracks like Blood-Lust or Blood-Moon.

Edit: or Blood-Thirst. Jesus christ what
I don't get what you mean by anthemic. I'd say their older stuff is anthemic; I can't think of anything I'd describe that way since Dream, Tiresias!

After listening to this all, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it grabbed me far easier than their output for ages. It's very, very good. And honestly makes me so loving happy. I've been so disappointed with the genre lately, i.e. Seabound's last album. But, I wish there was an anthemic single I could point people to to say, this is Project Pitchfork, and this is why you should (still) listen to them. It's a great album, best in ages, but there's no Timekiller, Karma Monster, I Live Your Dream, Steelrose, Alpha Omega, I'll Find My Way Home, Human/Alien Crossing, Instead of an Angle, Dance In The Air, etc.

I really liked the songs you mentioned, but would also draw attention to Blood-Pressure (track 7). And hell, track 1, Blood-Line, was such a great first impression.

--------------------

Uh totally unrelated, but the lyrics to New Order's Love Vigilantes finally clicked with me tonight. gently caress, what a punch in the gut. I know they have a dark sardonic sense of humour, but their lyrics are usually poo poo. Love Vigilantes is unexpected and fantastic.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you like them, sure is. They still have great energy onstage and some of the songs sound amazing live, imho.

Edit: should hopefully be going to a pretty awesome industrial event tomorrow. Douglas McCarthy being interviewed live by the editor of The Quietus, preview of some kickstarted film involving Genesis P-Orridge exploring voodoo and then a live set from Douglas' new project DJMREX as well as a DJ playing really old school industrial and related music.

http://youtu.be/NuD7d5Sn0f4

That sounds pretty cool, I saw Nitzer Ebb at the corp a while back post-comeback and they are great. His solo stuffs always been pretty interesting too.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

I don't get what you mean by anthemic. I'd say their older stuff is anthemic; I can't think of anything I'd describe that way since Dream, Tiresias!

After listening to this all, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it grabbed me far easier than their output for ages. It's very, very good. And honestly makes me so loving happy. I've been so disappointed with the genre lately, i.e. Seabound's last album. But, I wish there was an anthemic single I could point people to to say, this is Project Pitchfork, and this is why you should (still) listen to them. It's a great album, best in ages, but there's no Timekiller, Karma Monster, I Live Your Dream, Steelrose, Alpha Omega, I'll Find My Way Home, Human/Alien Crossing, Instead of an Angle, Dance In The Air, etc.

I'm talking about how after Daimonion Pitchfork went into a more introspective mode for a long while and started doing more and more catchy, "big" tracks after that again. For me, NUN-Trilogie, Kaskade, Wonderland/One Million Faces and Dream, Tiresias! weren't all that catchy (although excellent, obviously, esp. NUN-Trilogie is one of my favorite things ever), but Continuum Ride - BLACK had increasing amounts of huge, anthemic tracks. Have you already forgotten about tracks like Way of the World, Continuum, Beholder, Lament, The Queen of Time and Space, Pitch-Black or especially stuff like Rain and Acid Ocean?

As for wishing for one song to point people at - the thing is, you could pretty much do it with any song here, because it's all so loving good. I'd personally go with Blood-Money, Blood-Moon or Blood-Lust.

Also Karma Monster is one of the very few terrible Project Pitchfork songs for me, sorry man

quote:

I really liked the songs you mentioned, but would also draw attention to Blood-Pressure (track 7). And hell, track 1, Blood-Line, was such a great first impression.

It's all loving good. The only songs I don't really care about (yet?) are Blood-Shed and Blood-Night.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 20, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm doing an exchange semester in Leipzig next spring / summer and I'm gonna have to spend a ridiculous amount of money on festivals and concerts again. Look at this horrible poo poo.

March 28: E-Tropolis in Oberhausen
PROJECT PITCHFORK + VNV NATION + LAIBACH + DE/VISION + LEÆTHER STRIP + SOLAR FAKE
FROZEN PLASMA + SOLITARY EXPERIMENTS + PHOSGORE + SPETSNAZ + CENTHRON + TORUL

April 10: Unheilig in Leipzig

April - May: And One tour, gonna attend at least the show in Leipzig

May: WGT

July: Amphi Festival in Köln
AND ONE - VNV NATION – FRONT 242 – THE MISSION – DIARY OF DREAMS – OOMPH! – DAF – GOETHES ERBEN – AGONOIZE – SAMSAS TRAUM – WELLE:ERDBALL – THE CRÜXSHADOWS – [:SITD:] – DAS ICH – WESSELSKY – ZERAPHINE – NEUROTICFISH – DIORAMA – QNTAL – S.P.O.C.K. – STAHLMANN – RABIA SORDA – [X]-RX – CHROM – DARKHAUS – CENTHRON – SCHÖNGEIST – PATENBRIGADE: WOLFF

And those are just the ones I know of at the moment. I will be incredibly poor in autumn.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

You poor, poor thing!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

I'm doing an exchange semester in Leipzig next spring / summer and I'm gonna have to spend a ridiculous amount of money on festivals and concerts again. Look at this horrible poo poo.

March 28: E-Tropolis in Oberhausen
PROJECT PITCHFORK + VNV NATION + LAIBACH + DE/VISION + LEÆTHER STRIP + SOLAR FAKE
FROZEN PLASMA + SOLITARY EXPERIMENTS + PHOSGORE + SPETSNAZ + CENTHRON + TORUL

April 10: Unheilig in Leipzig

April - May: And One tour, gonna attend at least the show in Leipzig

July: Amphi Festival in Köln
AND ONE - VNV NATION – FRONT 242 – THE MISSION – DIARY OF DREAMS – OOMPH! – DAF – GOETHES ERBEN – AGONOIZE – SAMSAS TRAUM – WELLE:ERDBALL – THE CRÜXSHADOWS – [:SITD:] – DAS ICH – WESSELSKY – ZERAPHINE – NEUROTICFISH – DIORAMA – QNTAL – S.P.O.C.K. – STAHLMANN – RABIA SORDA – [X]-RX – CHROM – DARKHAUS – CENTHRON – SCHÖNGEIST – PATENBRIGADE: WOLFF

And those are just the ones I know of at the moment. I will be incredibly poor in autumn.

You don't need both kidneys anyway.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Those all look super awesome. I went to WGT back in 2005 and used it as a catalyst for a small trip through Europe. Its an amazing thing, but odd, coming from USA. Leipzig was full of goths. We took the train and the amount of people dressed up out numbered the regular Joes.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I unfollowed KMFDM on all social media sites a while back. Decided to see what they're up to, and :lol: now I remembered why I unfollowed them.

In the last six months they have posted a total of 66 updates on Facebook. That's 11 updates per month on average, or one every three days or so.

Out of the 66 updates a grand total of eight haven't mentioned preordering or buying some dumb crap, or said dumb crap being shipped. What an exciting band to follow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You sound pretty cranky and tired, man. Have you considered what Aloe2Go could do for your punk rock physique?