Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

quote:

Added 10 turns to the time limit in 5th Elven Court campaign map (Torchbearer branch).

WHOO, boy, that was a good idea.

So, yeah, if anyone's been having trouble with that mission, you might want to go give it another try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Impossible to find goons to play with! Can you make it so you can message people in the steam group without being friends? Or maybe so people can make events

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 12, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I don't get it, I thought I had like Heroes of Might and magic or X-Com figured out or something. One thing this game put me off of was that It turns out i'm extremely terrible at combat in this game. I feel like I'm not getting it, so i'm auto-solving them. It's hard to get enthusiastic about your units if you're just gonna do an auto match.

What i'm saying is, I need tips on how to combat, because i'm missing out.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 12, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I don't get it, I thought I had like Heroes of Might and magic or X-Com figured out or something. One thing this game put me off of was that It turns out i'm extremely terrible at combat in this game. I feel like I'm not getting it, so i'm auto-solving them. It's hard to get enthusiastic about your units if you're just gonna do an auto match.

What i'm saying is, I need tips on how to combat, because i'm missing out.

Flanking is the key to winning in tactical combat. A successful flank attack (Like a backstab more or less, but it works at range too.) does double damage and draws no retaliation. Although, after the first hit the defender will spin around to face the attacker, but this is something you can manipulate to set up a series of flank attacks against a single target, tearing even Tier 4 units to shreds in short order. You should constantly be looking for opportunities to flank, while simultaneously protecting your own units from enemy flank attacks.

On that note, a unit given the defend command cannot be flanked that turn. It's often wiser to position a unit and have them guard rather then attack if you don't have a strong attack lined up for them, or if your worried about them being isolated and counter flanked on the enemy turn.

Attacks of opportunity are also important. Every unit threatens the three hexes in front of them, and will make a retaliation attack if a unit attempts to move through or out of one of those hexes. Like flank attacks, these retaliations do double damage. A little known trick is that you can change a units facing by holding down the right mouse button while you have the unit selected.

Also important is the concept of action points. All units have three action points they can use per turn to move, attack, and use a special ability (Number of action points required can vary.) Melee units can make up to three melee attacks in a turn using all their action points, but moving large distances first will drain their action points. In general, all units can full move and make a single attack. Likewise, most units can move a single hex without using any of their action points, this can be key to positioning ranged units without losing damage.

Taking any action out of turn will drain action points for the following turn. A unit that uses three retaliation or attacks of opportunity out of turn will have no action points remaining on their next turn and will be unable to take any action. Like every other combat mechanic, this is something you can and should exploit.

All physical damage attacks target defense, and all elemental damage/effects target resistance. An attack that does combined physical/elemental damage has each damage channel calculated separately against their proper defensive stat. Dual Channel (Or tri even) damage is considered especially powerful when making flank attacks, because both damage amounts are doubled individually, and additional damage modifiers, (Like the Rogues backstab ability) are added to both damage types.

That's more or less it for basic combat tips, if there's a particular situation or unit type you have trouble with, let me know and I'll ramble on some more for you. :)

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Anyone know where the custom heroes are saved? I had like 20 that I don't really want to lose. Leif Erikson with his bigass red beard and intimidating stance scared the poo poo out of me every time even though I manually put him in the game with me. At least we're getting new character creation stuff if I have to remake them.

All the expansion stuff seems to be in the game files now too. It's cool, just unlock it a week early Triumph.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Another dev journal up, this time looking at Wild Magic.

http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-wild-magic/

Also, one of the beta testers has started up a lets play looking at the new features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EajVxEmuJw

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Royal Scrub posted:

All the expansion stuff seems to be in the game files now too. It's cool, just unlock it a week early Triumph.

It's probably in a form of closed beta atm.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Warp Domain seems like a huge gently caress you to anyone who didn't take either Air, Fire or Destruction mastery or Creation adept. I wonder if it'd be at all reversible otherwise.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kajeesus posted:

Warp Domain seems like a huge gently caress you to anyone who didn't take either Air, Fire or Destruction mastery or Creation adept. I wonder if it'd be at all reversible otherwise.

Drench Lands (Water mastery) would let you get rid of the volcanic terrain, but yeah otherwise you can't fix it! My tests show it usually reduces city happiness by about 200 points, regardless of the race that controls the city.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's probably in a form of closed beta atm.

It is. Also, we need to test that none of the expansion content is leaking out to people who haven't gotten the expansion. Everyone gets the content so they can play multiplayer games versus othr people who have the expansion.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Gerblyn posted:

It is. Also, we need to test that none of the expansion content is leaking out to people who haven't gotten the expansion. Everyone gets the content so they can play multiplayer games versus othr people who have the expansion.

Does that mean players without the expansion could be going up against halfling leaders with wild magic in multiplayer? Or are all expansion features, spells and units disabled in multiplayer games involving non-expansion players?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Slashrat posted:

Does that mean players without the expansion could be going up against halfling leaders with wild magic in multiplayer? Or are all expansion features, spells and units disabled in multiplayer games involving non-expansion players?

If you play me, and I have the expansion and you don't, then all expansion content is enabled in the game. The only limitations are:

1) I need to host to unlock the Seals victory condition and Empire Quests
2) You may not choose a leader with expansion stuff (i.e. no halfling, no wild magic, no partisan)

Once the game's started, there's nothing stopping you from conquering a halfling city and making units in it. In theory, you could even try and get the All Knowing empire quest, by finishing all available research. That gives you 2 new specializations at random to research, and could give you wild magic.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wild magic looks fun as hell to play with. Degenerate seems like it would be insane if you had control of a fairy dwelling

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
This patch changes so much more than just the mechanics already talked about in dev journals. A lot of units have been changed to be more racially flavorful from what I've seen, like some draconian units being 100% fire immune. A lot of spells/hero abilities have been rebalanced so the weak ones are more desireable as well. So many units have been tweaked and reworked. I was surprised as hell when I fought an earth elemental and found it had a new ability, regrowth, which let it regain some hp passively each combat round. Any balance discussions going on can basically be thrown completely out the window as the amount of changes are enormous, and seem to always be done with particular care and reason.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The amount of stuff that's changed is positively insane, and even more amazing that it feels so balanced and fun. (Human Halberds have overwhelm now, btw. Not in the patch notes.)

I mean hell, they made humans interesting and powerful. Halberd Supremacy, Evolving Cav, Spirit Arrows, Shark Assassins, just lots of stuff. There's so many interesting options for each race/class now that I don't know what I want to try first, and that's not even considering the new DLC content. They seem to have managed to buff all the weak options without killing the stuff that was already strong. It's a really cool patch.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Do we still not know how much the expansion is going to cost? Seems weird to not have that number 5 days before it comes out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I read $12 on another forum.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
That's correct, IIRC. There was a German lets play video that leaked the price a few days ago.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Does anyone else find the medium maps are too large?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Twelve bucks for this expansion? That is amazing. The base game was modestly priced too, come to think of it. Can we just donate extra? I feel like this is probably worth twice that at least.

^^ Medium seems about right for 4 players, if there is no underground to double the map size. Less than that and games get really lengthy, though the new victory conditions in the expansion will help with that.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 13, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

If you play me, and I have the expansion and you don't, then all expansion content is enabled in the game. The only limitations are:

1) I need to host to unlock the Seals victory condition and Empire Quests
2) You may not choose a leader with expansion stuff (i.e. no halfling, no wild magic, no partisan)

Once the game's started, there's nothing stopping you from conquering a halfling city and making units in it. In theory, you could even try and get the All Knowing empire quest, by finishing all available research. That gives you 2 new specializations at random to research, and could give you wild magic.

Sounds better then how I remember Civ5 being at release, every single person in the game needed to have your DLC civs if you wanted to play as them, means they were effectively not usable online 90% of the time.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
My plan to finish the last campaign mission (Commonwealth, Loyalist) after the patch came out may not have been wise. The AI is just so much better now. Gathering up it's starting units and sweeping through allied territory with 8+ coordinated stacks, or in siege battles pulling back behind the walls to force me into attack range. It's not perfect but it really is remarkably improved.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
So the new no watching battles mode - the description sounds like even in simultaneous turns you can't do anything while another players battle is ongoing, is that correct?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Theswarms posted:

So the new no watching battles mode - the description sounds like even in simultaneous turns you can't do anything while another players battle is ongoing, is that correct?

Right. The game is essentially still frozen when a tactical battle is happening, you just have the option of not watching the battles.

Edit: Part 2 of the preview Lets Play is up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bftSB2w8Cng

If you're curious about multiplayer, there's also a stream of the first game in the finals for the big multiplayer tournament that was announced a while back:

http://www.twitch.tv/ayenara/b/567789210

(It's a 2/3 game series for the Final, the remaining games will be played this weekend to determine the winner.)

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 13, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Theswarms posted:

Yeah this is nice in that you can play without giving away your position / class to your opponents, which is important! Unfortunately it doesn't help with the whole encouraging everyone to afk during battles, especially in 4+ player games.

I think what people really wanted was the ability to continue to play during a battle. As long as they don't interact with the armies in the battle itself there is not a possibility of screwing the game up. It would tremendously speed up games and make them feel much more smooth. Having it just put an icon over the stacks in a combat like crossed swords would work, pop up a message if you try to attack them saying that you have to wait until they are done.

The tactical combat is such an important and rich part of the game (this is good!) that encouraging people to spam autocombat detracts from the overall experience, and it is always annoying to lose units you would not have let die yourself. In this respect the no-spectate option has not really changed much. I was so very happy when I heard one of the devs mention the option on the forums but I don't think this is quite what everyone hoped for.

I hope Gerblyn and the team reads this and similar feedback as this aspect is a major stumbling block for a lot of people. No one wants alt tabbing to do something else to be a central part of the gameplay experience.

Still, this patch is amazing and even this aspect is somewhat improved over what it was before.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Even if moving armies during a battle on the map is something the devs wants to avoid, being able to do empire management would be nice. The option to change city build queues, research items, strategic spells, create magic items or even plan automoves for the next turn could reduce some of tedium.

e: I was hoping in the video above they'd tweak pathfinding so that the game will always try to offer a path first that won't lead to trepassing so that it's up to players to manually choose like how it works in civ (albeit a DoW window).

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 13, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Carnalfex posted:

Yeah this is nice in that you can play without giving away your position / class to your opponents, which is important! Unfortunately it doesn't help with the whole encouraging everyone to afk during battles, especially in 4+ player games.

I think what people really wanted was the ability to continue to play during a battle. As long as they don't interact with the armies in the battle itself there is not a possibility of screwing the game up. It would tremendously speed up games and make them feel much more smooth. Having it just put an icon over the stacks in a combat like crossed swords would work, pop up a message if you try to attack them saying that you have to wait until they are done.

The tactical combat is such an important and rich part of the game (this is good!) that encouraging people to spam autocombat detracts from the overall experience, and it is always annoying to lose units you would not have let die yourself. In this respect the no-spectate option has not really changed much. I was so very happy when I heard one of the devs mention the option on the forums but I don't think this is quite what everyone hoped for.

I hope Gerblyn and the team reads this and similar feedback as this aspect is a major stumbling block for a lot of people. No one wants alt tabbing to do something else to be a central part of the gameplay experience.

Still, this patch is amazing and even this aspect is somewhat improved over what it was before.

One idea I was thinking was to have multiplayer manual battle queued against the AI and then everyone do theirs simultaneously at the end of the turn.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Carnalfex posted:

Having to do so much waiting around is whats ruining multi for me and my friends. We don't want to just autocalc because the battles are fun and we'd like to actually play a big part of the game, but having to sit around with nothing to do while others play their battles is really bad.

Autocalcing also seems like it weakens some classes - theocrats and rogues really want to be able to pick who they are trying to charm, so they can get some trolls or other strong units early, but autocalc uses charm on whatever the hell it feels like, rather than the unit you want in your army.

Battles really, really should not be stopping other people from playing their turn, this is the whole point of simultaneous turns.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can the devs reading this plz plz ask around and see how feasible this is

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WYA posted:

One idea I was thinking was to have multiplayer manual battle queued against the AI and then everyone do theirs simultaneously at the end of the turn.

But how would you handle those who have movement points left after their battle? A post-battle extension for the turn? Or maybe leftover movement points would be added to the next turn. Either way, it's not very feasible for a unit stack to have more than one battle per turn.

I like the being able to fiddle with empire management idea more but tbh anything would be better than the godawful system we currently have. I find it funny that in trying to fix the perennial problem with multiplayer tbs games, they managed to come up with something that is arguably worse.

fspades fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 13, 2014

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

madmac posted:

Shark Assassins

Now Human Assassins need small plastic fins strapped around their waist. This needs to happen at any cost. :colbert:

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

a!n posted:

Now Human Assassins need small plastic fins strapped around their waist. This needs to happen at any cost. :colbert:

This and dire penguin mounts.

re: combat in simultaneous turns, the trick is really just to make sure no one else can interfere with stacks already in a fight. You could even have multiple tactical combats going at the same time - in fact you pretty much would have to be able to, since everyone is surely going to be fighting whatever things start next to them on the first few turns.

As long as the game stops people from attacking or casting on stacks that are busy fighting until after that battle is over there is no difference between that and the current implementation (from the player's perspective) other than it is intuitive, smooth, and keeps the game pace moving. Which is to say, better in every way than the way it is currently handled.

If Triumph pulls that off they will have pulled ahead of every other TBS ever made. For examples, Total War games only allow 2 players (in campaign) and don't have simultaneous turns. Civ 5 took years to get to where it is and has no distinct tactical combat layer. Having robust multiplayer support like this would launch AoW3 from "a really good MoM remake" to being a shining unique snowflake standing above other similar games on an olympic gold medalist platform.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 14, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the issue is mostly that once a player enters combat, he'd be blind to everything that happens on the strategic map. A third player could gang up on all his stacks and he wouldn't get a chance to consolidate his armies or anything.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Semi-simultaneous turns like in CiV? Simultaneously while at peace, and players at war with each other go in turns?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Deltasquid posted:

Semi-simultaneous turns like in CiV? Simultaneously while at peace, and players at war with each other go in turns?

I hated the latter in Civ 5, since it meant you were locked out of managing your empire while others shuffled units around. At least if I could still pick science or change what my cities were building, I'd have something to do when people were at war.

As a result nobody plays Hybrid turns in Civ 5.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

This is why I only play 1v1 with friends. We just can't stand simultaneous turns.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

I think the issue is mostly that once a player enters combat, he'd be blind to everything that happens on the strategic map. A third player could gang up on all his stacks and he wouldn't get a chance to consolidate his armies or anything.

This can happen in simultaneous turns anyway though, the issues of "who can click faster" and "no one can see the whole map at once" are already a thing.

edit: Another goon started a thread about it on the official forums, perhaps having some more people chime in there will get attention since multiple members of the dev team are pretty active on there. They won't have much reason to look unless there is significant discussion, though. I honestly think this is the biggest stumbling block for AoW3. More content would be awesome and everyone is eager for it but this issue bogs down the game *right now*. It would also mean a lot more attention for any future multiplayer tournaments as they would be far more feasible and less painful, which means more attention to the game, and thus more sales and fans.

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/suggestions-and-ideas-for-implementing-simultaneous-manual-combat-into-mp/ is the thread.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 14, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

This can happen in simultaneous turns anyway though, the issues of "who can click faster" and "no one can see the whole map at once" are already a thing.

edit: Another goon started a thread about it on the official forums, perhaps having some more people chime in there will get attention since multiple members of the dev team are pretty active on there.

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/suggestions-and-ideas-for-implementing-simultaneous-manual-combat-into-mp/

It would still be even worse being completely blind for an extended time every time you entered a battle though.

I'm not opposed to the idea of finding a way to fix tactical battles in multiplayer, but it's not exactly a topic/request that hasn't come up many, many times already.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Been far too long since I looked at this game, I own it but hated how long Mulitplayer or vs computer games could last with the whole gotta find every unit and oh look your town of 10,000 people were overrun by a single thief unit, but an expansion has me intrigued. Curious what all will be implemented and the price point seems great

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

madmac posted:

It would still be even worse being completely blind for an extended time every time you entered a battle though.

I'm not opposed to the idea of finding a way to fix tactical battles in multiplayer, but it's not exactly a topic/request that hasn't come up many, many times already.

Let's be honest, if someone gets armies within one turn's movement of you without your knowledge (which they would need to do in order to set up an ambush while you were fighting) then they are either concealed or they have killed your scouts. In both those cases they could move on you without your knowledge anyway since you are already blind.

Yeah, the issue has come up often. Squeaky wheel gets the grease though, if the dev team doesn't think of it as a significant issue it will never be resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Been far too long since I looked at this game, I own it but hated how long Mulitplayer or vs computer games could last with the whole gotta find every unit and oh look your town of 10,000 people were overrun by a single thief unit, but an expansion has me intrigued. Curious what all will be implemented and the price point seems great

The AI will offer surrender now, and the expansion has a "Seals of Power" feature that allows you to win the game without literally owning the entire map.

Also the AI in general is waaaay better just from playing the beta patch. Some of the campaign missions are brutal now because nearby enemies will actually wrangle together a big pile of starting units and come hunting for you instead of twiddling their thumbs until you show up. The tactical combat is quite a bit smarter now too, though obviously still exploitable in some ways.

• Locked thread