Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marumaru
May 20, 2013

You could probably make a DLL to do programmer magic and export info to a program independent of Unity. Telemachus does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I had forgotten how weak the gravity is on Gilly. Edgrett (I think?) stepped outside and floated for a second before gravity remembered he was there. When orbital speed is only ~10 m/sec, even your jetpack can get you there :haw:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Since it hasn't dropped, and it was all the talk when I last read the thread, I'm throwing my hat in for skipping the number.25 and skipping to .26 because:

quote:

Update .26 - No quarter given

I'm hesitant to get back into KSP again due to the funky "dead drop directly onto the capsule door from capsule ladder crashes game" issue killing my Kerbin surface sample acquisition progress with consistency, but I'm sitting on the latest Karbonite for when I get back into it.

Inacio posted:

You could probably make a DLL to do programmer magic and export info to a program independent of Unity. Telemachus does that.

This should just be a matter of reading and displaying certain reserved memory pools or something. Hell if I know where to find them, but I know the theory of it all, at least. I do know you can read the memory from a third party/application, but you might encounter access violations doing so, I think, but it's been a while for me.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Having seen all these wonderful mods (especially MKS), I'm really wishing there was a multiplayer option.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Trivia posted:

Having seen all these wonderful mods (especially MKS), I'm really wishing there was a multiplayer option.

Like this one?

Yes, it's a mod, and yes, it's extremely alpha, but it works well enough with other mods, so long as it's Sandbox mode. Haven't tried MKS/OKS, but Karbonite appears to work just fine.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I had forgotten how weak the gravity is on Gilly. Edgrett (I think?) stepped outside and floated for a second before gravity remembered he was there. When orbital speed is only ~10 m/sec, even your jetpack can get you there :haw:

Not just orbit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDLBTvpzf_s

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

nullfunction posted:

Like this one?

Yes, it's a mod, and yes, it's extremely alpha, but it works well enough with other mods, so long as it's Sandbox mode. Haven't tried MKS/OKS, but Karbonite appears to work just fine.

I've tried that extensively with a friend.

Docking in orbit worked. Both of us descending our own crafts at the same time resulted in exploded ships on each other's screens. Trying to land near an already landed craft = exploding ships.

We came to the conclusion that anything not in orbit will explode horribly (and even then some things randomly exploded).

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Trivia posted:

I've tried that extensively with a friend.

Docking in orbit worked. Both of us descending our own crafts at the same time resulted in exploded ships on each other's screens. Trying to land near an already landed craft = exploding ships.

We came to the conclusion that anything not in orbit will explode horribly (and even then some things randomly exploded).

But you can dock together in orbit? Say for instance, my friend makes a lander and flies it to orbit, I make an inter-planetary engine and orbit it, could we dock, and I fly us to Duna, get in his pod and him land us?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Rynoto posted:

Unity can be tricked into stretching across multiple monitors. It cannot, however, have pieces of the UI off the screen.

So yeah, engine limitation.

And there's no way to fake it and make it one big "screen" with all the UI elements combined? This makes Jeb sad.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

BMS posted:

But you can dock together in orbit? Say for instance, my friend makes a lander and flies it to orbit, I make an inter-planetary engine and orbit it, could we dock, and I fly us to Duna, get in his pod and him land us?

We did manage to dock fairly easily. It worked better than KMP. When docked, one person retains control over both vessels. You can then fly that to, say Minmus, and then attempt to land it. The biggest problems happen when you EVA one of your Kerbals and board your partner's ship. That fucks all sorts of poo poo up in my experience.

We tried to get a refueling and extra-planetary base on Minmus set up. My friend landed several vessels with KAS attachments, and was also harvesting ore to make into parts. I brought a Karbonite refueling lander. He was already landed and set up, while I was still in orbit. We decided that while I was landing he would not move any vehicles, yet even so his poo poo (on my screen) blew up once I came into proximity (I synced while in a stabilized orbit).

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
Yeah, in addition to this, you can make orbit on pretty much anything smaller than Mun (and even Mun as long as you're careful about avoiding mountains).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Trivia posted:

We tried to get a refueling and extra-planetary base on Minmus set up. My friend landed several vessels with KAS attachments, and was also harvesting ore to make into parts. I brought a Karbonite refueling lander. He was already landed and set up, while I was still in orbit. We decided that while I was landing he would not move any vehicles, yet even so his poo poo (on my screen) blew up once I came into proximity (I synced while in a stabilized orbit).

The 2.5km sync up is the killer, particularly when landed and it has to take the surface into account for the collision meshes. Early KAS 0.4 suffered badly from the same thing and since they got it mostly fixed, I suspect the multiplayer guys will get there eventually too.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah, other crafts slowly start drifting in odd directions, then snap back in place. They do this repeatedly for about 5 minutes, then poo poo goes awry and explosions abound. It's quite a fireworks festival so I'm never THAT disappointed.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I built a new PC running Ubuntu and installed KSP and imported my save and all the ships and mods and everything just...worked. No fidgeting or anything, just dropped my Windows files right in and went. However, the timer still going yellow even with a ship with one engine, one fuel tank and a cockpit when near Kerbin's surface; is this just normal? Going to a gigantic ship barely impacts performance more than a tiny ship does, so it's weird. Is this something weird with the Linux version? I guess I should specify that I'm running an i5 4690k with 8gb of RAM and the on-board HD4600 for graphics.

Also, KSP should have a disclaimer about how much an SSD improves the experience, holy poo poo it loads so much faster.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 12, 2014

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Not given that it will depend entirely on how many SRBs you're using, how much the spacecraft weighs at any given time, and where you are in the atmosphere.

I will say however, that most large SRBs have surprisingly low TWR when full, so reducing their thrust is probably going to make it a bit hard to get off the ground if they're also lifting a spaceship, and result in a greater portion of their thrust being eaten by gravity.

I usually use my main rocket engine to compensate for that, just to quickly build a bit of speed at take-off. Activate it with the boosters at full thrust, cut thrust at 80-100 m/s. Boosters are usually at 30-50% thrust.

The optimal way to do it I guess (and Mechjeb can do this for you) is to let the SRBs do most of the work and use the rocket engine to fine-tune speed to make sure you're exactly at the "speed limit" imposed by air resistance. Bit too much of a hassle for me to do manually though, as that speed limit changes constantly with altitude.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cubey posted:

I'm running an i5 4690k with 8gb of RAM and the on-board HD4600 for graphics.

Tried turning down the graphics settings? Maybe running at a lower resolution. You're probably GPU-limited here.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nielsm posted:

Tried turning down the graphics settings? Maybe running at a lower resolution. You're probably GPU-limited here.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, and I do plan on eventually buying an actual car when there's a good sale. Still weird to me that a ship with 200 parts doesn't make the game run any worse than a ship with 3 parts. Is the water on Kerbin to blame? 'Cause I did switch to a medium-sized ship orbiting Minmus and there was absolutely no lag whatsoever, and I've read complaints about the water before.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thesoro posted:

Yeah, in addition to this, you can make orbit on pretty much anything smaller than Mun (and even Mun as long as you're careful about avoiding mountains).

Last time I checked, you're about 100 m/s dV short to make Mun orbit, unless they've changed the EVA pack since 0,18 or so?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Apoffys posted:

I usually use my main rocket engine to compensate for that, just to quickly build a bit of speed at take-off. Activate it with the boosters at full thrust, cut thrust at 80-100 m/s. Boosters are usually at 30-50% thrust.

The optimal way to do it I guess (and Mechjeb can do this for you) is to let the SRBs do most of the work and use the rocket engine to fine-tune speed to make sure you're exactly at the "speed limit" imposed by air resistance. Bit too much of a hassle for me to do manually though, as that speed limit changes constantly with altitude.

Hm. That's a good thought. MechJeb set to below terminal velocity is currently showing me over TV during launch even without the main engine firing.

I think I'll turn down the SRB thrust in increments and do a few test launches until I find a thrust setting that requires some (but as little as possible) main engine assistance.

I still wonder if there's a way you can calculate this other than trial and error, though.

New question: Ascent profiles. Other than for spaceplanes, do you guys vary yours much? I've left MechJeb at the default start turning at 7km and finish at 70km curve for all my rockets so far, but I wonder if I'm missing a trick.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 12, 2014

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

New question: Ascent profiles. Other than for spaceplanes, do you guys vary yours much? I've left MechJeb at the default start turning at 7km and finish at 70km curve for all my rockets so far, but I wonder if I'm missing a trick.

If your rocket has a high TWR at liftoff use the setting I tend to use, Turn at 4km, finish at 70km turn slope of 43-47%. Seems to work well for me at least when playing stock.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

So Duna's atmosphere doesn't have any Karbonite huh? Found that one out the hard way

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Could someone give me a ballpark figure on how many Karbonite drills I need to still turn a surplus with a generator running? Planning on going to one of the Kerbin moons if that matters.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Ideally mechjeb should calculate optimal profile based on height required and TWR of each stage. Can it do that yet?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apoffys posted:

The way I generally do it is attach as many SRBs as I can and am willing to spend money on, and then fire the maneuvering stage as high up into space as I can with those (you generally can't steer it) and then circularise from there.

It's not fuel efficient but as SRB fuel is super cheap, it doesn't really matter. And it's very easy from both a rocket design and orbital maneuvering standpoint. gently caress terminal velocity and gently caress the oberth effect. I have an infinite supply of cheap-rear end rocket boosters.

Lansdowne posted:

Could someone give me a ballpark figure on how many Karbonite drills I need to still turn a surplus with a generator running? Planning on going to one of the Kerbin moons if that matters.

Depends on where you land. Karbonite has different collection rates at different points on the surface. If you land on a hotspot, probably not many. if you land anywhere else, probably quite a few, possibly impossible.

My advice would be, pack six, try and land on the highest concentration you can, see if that works. Turn off drills until it holds stable. If that doesn't work you're buggered.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 12, 2014

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
I wonder if Squad has been contacted by the Mexican Space Agency yet? It seems like it'd be obvious!

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Hadlock posted:

Last time I checked, you're about 100 m/s dV short to make Mun orbit, unless they've changed the EVA pack since 0,18 or so?
If you're willing to make a really really low orbit you can do it with ~550 m/s.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Here's my best for illectro's challenge: Fast & Floppy: to Space and Back in 85 Seconds. Current fastest on Reddit is 81 seconds, but I wanted to share my attempt anyway.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
So I'm really new to this and I've been following Scott Manley's tutorials. All good until I got to the "get to the Mun" tutorial and I realized my launches are not working very well.

After launching, my orbits around Kerbal are very eccentric, and require 60 seconds plus burn to establish. I *think* the problem is I'm not turning enough to get to my 45-degrees during launch, so I ran through several launches this morning to try to get a feel for it - I nailed it once but I can't seem to do it consistently.

From watching his Navball, It looks like I start turning around 5-7KM, and plan on being at 45 degrees around 30 KM, then try to get closer to 90 degrees by the time I'm at 60 KM or so - is that right? Is there a better way to think about this, since I'm still trying to control things manually?

The one launched I nailed, I accidentally jettisoned my fuel tank instead of executing my orbital burn. :smith:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Peas and Rice posted:

So I'm really new to this and I've been following Scott Manley's tutorials. All good until I got to the "get to the Mun" tutorial and I realized my launches are not working very well.

After launching, my orbits around Kerbal are very eccentric, and require 60 seconds plus burn to establish. I *think* the problem is I'm not turning enough to get to my 45-degrees during launch, so I ran through several launches this morning to try to get a feel for it - I nailed it once but I can't seem to do it consistently.

From watching his Navball, It looks like I start turning around 5-7KM, and plan on being at 45 degrees around 30 KM, then try to get closer to 90 degrees by the time I'm at 60 KM or so - is that right? Is there a better way to think about this, since I'm still trying to control things manually?

The one launched I nailed, I accidentally jettisoned my fuel tank instead of executing my orbital burn. :smith:

You've got the method down. The important thing is to stop burning once you have an apoapsis above 70km. Then coast to the edge of the atmosphere and circularise at apoapsis. If you keep burning you'll push your Ap up super high and make it correspondingly difficult to circularise.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
You also shouldn't start your gravity turn until a little higher--more like 8.5-10km than 5-7km.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

The turn I used when initially starting out was 45 degrees at 10, then 90 at 30. As you get more practice with that, just smooth it out, vary it for different TWR's, and you should have very little problem getting to orbit.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
What they said. After you've established your rocket is relatively flight-stable, go into orbital view and control the navball from there. That way you can see your current apoapsis (and peri, once you break it free from the surface). Once your apoapsis is about 65-70 km (I usually go for 72ish) stop thrusting, go 90 degrees, and keep your nose pointed to the horizon. Might be tricky if you have a heavy boost stage still attached but as long as you're in the ballpark you can use your gimballed thrust to even things out. When you're within 1-2 km of your apoapsis altitude (higher TWR can wait until you're closer) fire the engines back up and burn. If the ap starts getting away from you cut thrust and wait until you get close again, rinse/repeat. This will get you a nearly circular orbit out of the gate.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Jack the Lad posted:

You've got the method down. The important thing is to stop burning once you have an apoapsis above 70km. Then coast to the edge of the atmosphere and circularise at apoapsis. If you keep burning you'll push your Ap up super high and make it correspondingly difficult to circularise.

Ok - I was following Scott's tutorials to put my Ap closer to 100km. Is 70km better, even if I'm gonna make a shot at the Mun? (Or - better question I suppose - where does Kerbin's gravity well end?)

E:

OAquinas posted:

What they said. After you've established your rocket is relatively flight-stable, go into orbital view and control the navball from there. That way you can see your current apoapsis (and peri, once you break it free from the surface). Once your apoapsis is about 65-70 km (I usually go for 72ish) stop thrusting, go 90 degrees, and keep your nose pointed to the horizon. Might be tricky if you have a heavy boost stage still attached but as long as you're in the ballpark you can use your gimballed thrust to even things out. When you're within 1-2 km of your apoapsis altitude (higher TWR can wait until you're closer) fire the engines back up and burn. If the ap starts getting away from you cut thrust and wait until you get close again, rinse/repeat. This will get you a nearly circular orbit out of the gate.

OK cool. I may need a little more practice to do that well.

quote:

You also shouldn't start your gravity turn until a little higher--more like 8.5-10km than 5-7km.

Ah, OK. I was trying to follow what I saw on the video's Navball / Altitude and reverse-engineer it, but he does admit he starts his turn a little early. Thanks!

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 12, 2014

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

Ok - I was following Scott's tutorials to put my Ap closer to 100km. Is 70km better, even if I'm gonna make a shot at the Mun? (Or - better question I suppose - where does Kerbin's gravity well end?)

You can have a stable orbit around Kerbin up to ~80 million km. You won't use as much fuel getting into a lower orbit and you'll have more available for your burn to get to the Mun, so there's some savings there. I usually burn up to a 125 km orbit, but that's more of a habit than anything else.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Peas and Rice posted:

There's nothing wrong with going to 100km prior to going to Mun (it's slightly less efficient but not a big deal), but I think there's some problem we're not getting at--when you've got a suborbital trajectory peaking at 100km, burning prograde right around apoapsis should circularize your orbit pretty well. When do you stop burning on your turn, and when do you start burning again?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Peas and Rice posted:

Due to the curious and almost entirely counter-intuitive ways orbital mechanics work, you actually want to have as low an orbit as possible. 70k is generally considered the spot to aim for since that's where the atmosphere ends, and going any lower means you start aerobreaking and falling back to the surface. You might want to add a few km to have a margin of error, especially if you're using low-thrust engines.

And Kerbin's gravity stops mattering when you exit its SOI, 85Mm away.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Peas and Rice posted:

E:

OK cool. I may need a little more practice to do that well.

Ah, OK. I was trying to follow what I saw on the video's Navball / Altitude and reverse-engineer it, but he does admit he starts his turn a little early. Thanks!

70km is just a hair out of the atmosphere, if you fall below 65km you start to get drag. Most people use 100km as a standard orbit, I think, so that when you start to do rendezvous and docking maneuvers for more complicated interplanetary missions, you have wiggle room to catch up or slow down with either vessel.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Thesoro posted:

There's nothing wrong with going to 100km prior to going to Mun (it's slightly less efficient but not a big deal), but I think there's some problem we're not getting at--when you've got a suborbital trajectory peaking at 100km, burning prograde right around apoapsis should circularize your orbit pretty well. When do you stop burning on your turn, and when do you start burning again?

So I open the map to keep an eye on my Ap and cut the engines when it shows as 100km - and then begin a maneuver to get to orbit. I drag the prograde setting out to establish an orbit, and I'm usually seeing an Ap of 350km vs an Pe of like 70km on that maneuver, which leads me to believe my launch arc is just too steep (IE, I'm not turning soon / far enough).

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Peas and Rice posted:

It doesn't. To get into orbit, you have to be going sideways fast enough to miss the ground as you fall, you never go so far up that there's not gravity pulling you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Keiya posted:

It doesn't. To get into orbit, you have to be going sideways fast enough to miss the ground as you fall, you never go so far up that there's not gravity pulling you back.

Oh. Wow, OK, that makes way more sense.

• Locked thread