Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Kahns looks amazing. Abzan looks very strong, and between M15 and KtK I think a pretty decent token/outlast deck will be feasible. Most of the really good token generators are in white as well, and we have some really good anthems from Theros block that will help the cause as well. Going to be interesting in Standard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Brave the Sands looks pretty good.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

Uh it looks pretty bad you mean? I don't see when I'd actually want this card in limited instead of a bear. It's 'job' is to help you perform defense but wouldn't it just be better to have a creature to block/trade with?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

This card is pretty bad except for the precise scenario where you have a big creature that's holding off their entire team and still want to attack with it, and in that case you could just play another big creature instead of the Brave the Sands.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Final land

Not important for constructed, but I think Sulati could've done with one more good self milling card.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sarmhan posted:

Uh it looks pretty bad you mean? I don't see when I'd actually want this card in limited instead of a bear. It's 'job' is to help you perform defense but wouldn't it just be better to have a creature to block/trade with?

I assume it's best with the Abzan House, which is all about getting beefy. Put that down after bulking up some guys with Outlast and you turn a decent mid/late game battlefield into a pretty big wall to overcome.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I assume it's best with the Abzan House, which is all about getting beefy. Put that down after bulking up some guys with Outlast and you turn a decent mid/late game battlefield into a pretty big wall to overcome.
But if you have had the time to bulk up guys with outlast you're probably winning anyway. Again, I'd rather have a card that's actually good on the curve or a late-game powerhouse instead of a techy enchantment that only matters in very specific scenarios.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Straight up yeti

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It looks like Temur is going to be the most interesting clan to play. They're very tempo-y, with a lot of bounce, lockdown, and permission. You'll land a couple of early threats and then use Icy Blast, Mindswipe, Force Away, Crippling Chill etc. to keep your opponent from developing a board while chipping away at their life total. Crater's Claws is a good finisher in that deck. Savage Knuckleblade is so god drat good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

For some reason I see the strength of the card being more effective when you have a lot of token/small creatures out with the cost being just small enough for turn 4-5 to be played with something else. I see spot removal and cards like "ride down" being an almost playable strategy with an attack every turn based deck.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Compare Brave the Sands to the other white uncommons- both outlast uncommons are great and do a lot more to shore up your game while being efficient. Ramparts is an actual good blocker that also deals with evasive creatures. Seeker of the way is a bear with a good upside. Suspension field is very good removal. Take up arms is a potential combat blowout, timely hordemate is not the best for abzan but is still a very strong card, watcher of the roost is a very solid flier. The only uncommon that isn't way better is venerable lamassu due to its massive cost and low toughness. Even then it's still probably better. Playing a do-nothing in limited is an easy way to lose.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Wurzag posted:

Jesus christ, Erase is 'gently caress theros - the card'

Really? What enchantments do you want to play that you think the existence of Erase makes unplayable? There's answers to everything. People aren't going to be jamming their sideboards full of Erase to kill Courser of Kruphix or whatever when their more flexible existing creature removal does the job just fine.

Elyv posted:

Can Tarkirites(Tarkirians?) not be inspired or something?
It's always kind of weird when they rename a functional reprint even though the original name would have worked just fine.
Now there's a converted mana cost, goddamn.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SharkTattoos posted:

Pretty sure this is a guy who plays in the Chicagoland area as I saw this a week ago or so on Facebook. He has whole modern decks with cards he has altered to be whitebordered. The story goes that at some point someone ripped off his JTMS deck so he now makes all his cards white-bordered to deter would-be thieves.

Tell him those look really cool. I'd white border mine too but I don't use them that often and might want to get rid of them at some point.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

sarmhan posted:

But if you have had the time to bulk up guys with outlast you're probably winning anyway. Again, I'd rather have a card that's actually good on the curve or a late-game powerhouse instead of a techy enchantment that only matters in very specific scenarios.

If you have enough outlast cards in your deck it gets pretty good. The downside of using outlast (fairly obviously) is that it means your creature can't attack or block that turn, so you have to choose between getting in less damage now or more damage later. This removes the choice. It's not like it's an auto-include in every deck, but if I pick up 6-7 cards with outlast I'd consider it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

Now there's a converted mana cost, goddamn.

I also find it hilarious that they paid for this trap door full of croccodiles by using scraps of dead people.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Kabanaw posted:

If you have enough outlast cards in your deck it gets pretty good. The downside of using outlast (fairly obviously) is that it means your creature can't attack or block that turn, so you have to choose between getting in less damage now or more damage later. This removes the choice. It's not like it's an auto-include in every deck, but if I pick up 6-7 cards with outlast I'd consider it.
It's still worse than an actual card that affects the board. You can construct board states where it is good but you can't construct a deck where it is better than most of the cards in the set. This is a very deep set, you won't be hurting for playables.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like that the Jeskai randomly have giant bugs.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm looking forward to playing Sultai, it looks like they have the right enablers to actually cast their spells on time or a little early.

I don't like how many vanilla creatures there are in this set. Maybe more than in m15? Also, because there are so few gold commons and so many gold uncommons and rares, the power gap between commons and uncommons/rares is even larger than usual.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Also welcome back, Coral Merfolk! Blue Elks are the best! (This printing must be a joke, they put a functional reprint in Shards of Alara also.)

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Fate Reforged is going to have a colorless theme, I think. That way it'll play well with both Khans and whatever Louie's gonna be like.

Also this thing is one hell of a bear.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

sarmhan posted:

It's still worse than an actual card that affects the board. You can construct board states where it is good but you can't construct a deck where it is better than most of the cards in the set. This is a very deep set, you won't be hurting for playables.

It affects the board more than a piker in the late game. It doesn't go into every deck, or even most decks, but if I put my deck together and find I have a good number of creatures with tap abilities and aggressive stats I'll put it in. Not that I would pick it highly in draft or anything, but if I had it in my pool during deck construction I'd absolutely use it over a piker. Especially in a set like this, where triple costs and the set up needed for most the mechanics means it will probably be slower than most.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lets Pickle posted:

I'm looking forward to playing Sultai, it looks like they have the right enablers to actually cast their spells on time or a little early.

I don't like how many vanilla creatures there are in this set. Maybe more than in m15? Also, because there are so few gold commons and so many gold uncommons and rares, the power gap between commons and uncommons/rares is even larger than usual.

Yea I'm really torn if I wanna go with Sultai or Jeskai, both seem really cool in their own ways.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lets Pickle posted:

There's only 5 common multicolor cards -- a single cycle of clan-colored Morphs. :stare:

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
With altar of the brood, now I want mill-dergoats to be a thing.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Somebody on MTGS was pointing out the synergy with Undead Alchemist.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm pretty sure that putting an attacker in after blocks have been declared is a gigantic headache that Wizards don't want to get into.

Really? It's been done before.

One thing that struck me when reading the spoiler is they seem to be playing it really carefully with Delve. There seem to be as many ways to nuke someone's graveyard as there are ways to get bonus cards in. Glad to see the common Delve enablers did show up, though I wish they were attached to some sort of board presence. If those are your turn 2 and/or 3 plays then you're probably going to be behind on board for a bit, though being able to play a Delve-cheapened fatty on 4 is a nice reward.

Also, the 4/5 for 3B seems really strong. Even if you're on the defensive, he'll probably save you at least that 4 life by blocking just about anything on the ground that turn.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yetis and Llammasu and Kirin, Oh My

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Do we know what the prerelease promos are going to be yet?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Do we know what the prerelease promos are going to be yet?
There isn't a set one any more, you get one of 8 clan rares/the khan in your promo pack. They did this in response to the balance problems and warped environments having a guaranteed rare produced in the past (Journey into Nyx being the worst).

On the topic of brave the sands: You can't compare it to a creature because it doesn't attack or block. You can't compare it to a 2-drop because playing it on turn 2 doesn't help you get tempo at all. So it's replacing some late game spell, and then I can't think of one I'd cut for this literally ever. Again this is one of the deepest sets we've seen in a long time, you will not be hurting for playables. Even the white piker has a huge upside.

If I have 7/8+ outlast guys I'm not looking for Brave the Sands, instead I'm looking for tricks to 'cheat' the cost.

This isn't including the king of outlast enablers, incremental growth.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 12, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I was so psyched for this until I realized that a mill strategy is suicide with delve in the format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Myriad Truths posted:

Yeah, I think Scout the Borders is the ideal delve enabler I was looking for. It would be better if it cost 2 like Commune with the Gods, but it's still good enough to allow playing some of the crazy expensive delve cards.

I wish they had just reprinted grisly salvage.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Devor posted:

I was so psyched for this until I realized that a mill strategy is suicide with delve in the format.

It's a touch pricey, but Burn Away is both removal and will exile their graveyard. 6 damage should get rid of pretty much anything in the format you care about.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Devor posted:

If you counter a spell after delve has been paid, the cards are all still exiled right

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Death Bot posted:

If you counter a spell after delve has been paid, the cards are all still exiled right

Yes, they were exiled as part of paying the cost.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Devor posted:

Sideboard tormods crypt?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Death Bot posted:

Also this, in addition to my previous point.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Sideboard tormods crypt?

Why? It can't respond to a Delve spell being played and is dead against most of the field.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Niton posted:

Why? It can't respond to a Delve spell being played and is dead against most of the field.

Also using a card to temporarily make one or two cards dead seems like terrible value.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Delve isn't gonna be played as "mill myself for 20 then cast a bunch of spells for free," it's going to be more incremental-- exiling cards as you go to play spells efficiently. Tormod's Crypt is dead against any deck that's not a dedicated delve deck with Sidisi, the Ascendancy, and other enablers, and against that deck it's a one-shot thing. If a delve deck ever has more than 7-8 cards in their yard they are probably either doing it wrong or about to use them all on a giant Empty the Pits or something.
You can Delve in response to a Crypt activation and get value; if you do things in the reverse order then the Delve player still gets value.
It's not a good counter card.

EDIT: A lot of people are judging Delve wrong (not accusing anyone specifically in this thread, it's something I've seen at my LGS). You should not assume you are going to either 1) delve for the maximum value or 2) not delve at all. Necropolis Fiend is very strong as a 4-drop. Murderous Cut is fine as a 2-drop. Hooting Mandrills is great as a 3-drop. Treasure Cruise is fine as a 4-drop. All of those require delving 3-4 cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The only Delve card I can see being a 4-of is Murderous Cut in a Black/X 1-for-1 shell. Empty the Pits and most of the other Delve cards will be 2-of at most.

• Locked thread