Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Uuugghh. At the vet now with Ella. She's gassy in the beginning stages of gi stasis.

Effing auto correct.

Edit: Ella is home now, resting with a tum full of meds and critical care.

Hey who wants to see gassy bunny xrays? You do, of course.

https://aisv1.antechimagingservices.com/AisViewer/ImageViewer?studyUid=1.2.840.114387.1487659949.26370.20236.34713.5382376520497

editedit: I just noticed a glaring error. Ella is fixed, not unaltered.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
:ohdear: Those look expensive.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

pseudonordic posted:

:ohdear: Those look expensive.

The funny thing is, I was with my dad. Who claims to hate pets. But Ella is his breakfast buddy, he didn't even blink at the price, and offered to cover it. It helps that Ella is extremely responsive and friendly towards him.

Here Ella is helping with my ICSA entry over on GWS.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663150&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Tell me about treating rabbits for fleas. Revolution is the only safe stuff, right? Pepper is about three pounds, is a whole dose going to kill her?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bean posted:

Tell me about treating rabbits for fleas. Revolution is the only safe stuff, right? Pepper is about three pounds, is a whole dose going to kill her?

I don't know about "revolution", but frontline kills rabbits and advantage is safe on rabbits.

Our Rabbits had fleas because the person who lived in our house before us had a dog who had fleas. According to a local HRS:

quote:

Advantage, made by Bayer, is the only topical product that is tried and tested safe for rabbits. Dr. Brick says that Advantage is "a lot less hassle than the other stuff," and adds that she considers it a safe product for adult bunnies (she has seen only rare topical reactions from using Advantage, and even then, it was nothing serious). In general, a very small or dwarf rabbit should be treated with half of a pre-filled tube; bigger rabbits can be given a full dose. Because it takes a while for such topical flea treatments to disseminate through a dog or cat's coat, the HRS recommends that rabbits be kept apart from other animals that have been treated for at least 12 hours. Check with your veterinarian for specifics.

So you should be fine, but ask your vet.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I've used Revolution before with mine, even a likely higher than recommended dosage thanks to a not so savvy vet. As far as a dosage I'm sure that greatly depends on what type of revolution you have. Here's there actual website recommendations for rabbits.

http://www.revolution.com.au/what-is-revolution.aspx

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Yes, revolution has been shown in veterinary studies to be safe for use in rabbits: http://www.k-state.edu/media/newsreleases/aug10/selamectin83010.html (there's also dosing info there - they actually recommend a higher dose than in cats and dogs).

They don't like the alcohol feeling so you'll get a lot of skin shaking for a few hours afterwards, like they're trying to shake off a fly.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
These are my (my roommates) two bunnies:

Mango is like 2ish years old and suuuuuper friendly and cuddly. Also really pissy.

The kitten lives with her parents but she was pretty sweet to Mango.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPwKvI2bN6s

And this is Wonton who is about 6-7 months old. He's pretty shy but is warming up to us a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3iu-b3W0iQ

Sorry for the vertical videos.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I love bunnies. I miss my dopey rabbits

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dodecalypse posted:

These are my (my roommates) two bunnies:

Mango is like 2ish years old and suuuuuper friendly and cuddly. Also really pissy.

:3: A needy Dutch...

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Someone in the house left a chair not pushed in and my little crime bunny got not a table and raided the fruit bowl. He chewed through the skin and ate a clean third of a banana before we caught him.

Do your bunnies act guilty? For the next day after his banana crime he was so slinky and penitent. He's normally not a fan of being picked up but he reluctantly lets us do it after he's been bad like it's some sort of punishment.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
How picky are bunnies with hay, normally? I'm really annoyed at my bun being such a picky rear end in a top hat and only eating like 40% of the hay I give him. I'll see his little hay boxes are like practically full and he'll still hop around like he's hungry. When I put in some new hay he'll eat a bunch of that, but then leave like 60% of it. He's so wasteful! Doesn't he know we're in a recession?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

My friend could no longer take care of her rabbit, so she gave me him about a week ago. I've never owned a rabbit before but I did a ton of reading and I feel a little more comfortable now, but the small nuances are really hard to figure out.

It's an Angora rabbit, so the fur is pretty fluffy. I try to comb him every day but a) he hates being combed (maybe because he doesnt know me super well yet?) and b) he has a lot of matted hair and I have no idea how to deal with it. I try and gently comb it out but im mostly unsuccessful (sometimes i get a tiny bit out) and again, hes like "i hate this, im going to hop away from you"

I tried googling "rabbit groomers" in los angeles but I didnt have a lot of luck :/ Should I just do it myself? How do you deal with big patches of matted hair?

He's not neutered and potty training has been really difficult, so i may get him fixed. But there's a lot of other things. He is OBSESSED with my fridge, which didnt alarm me until he peed all around it and he also managed to squeeze in BEHIND it (i was freaking out, he couldnt get out unless i moved the fridge forward (though he managed to find an open area UNDER my fridge and he was just chilling inside (but i was really nervous he would chew the wires)

I don't regret getting him or anything, I like his company, I just wish he would listen a bit more :( I'm hoping he gets more comfortable with me and I can clap or something when hes bad and he knows he cant do that (but maybe that doesnt work on rabbits?)

He also "coughed" yesterday, there was like 5 coughing sounds in a row, and then it stopped, then like 10 minutes later he did it again. I havent heard it since, but hes been doing other "weird" things like stretching his legs out and lying there on the floor for awhile. I thought maybe he was just being comfty, but then he put his head down and it worried me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

somnambulist posted:

He also "coughed" yesterday, there was like 5 coughing sounds in a row, and then it stopped, then like 10 minutes later he did it again. I havent heard it since, but hes been doing other "weird" things like stretching his legs out and lying there on the floor for awhile. I thought maybe he was just being comfty, but then he put his head down and it worried me.

A rabbit laying down stretched out means they're very content and feel safe. It's a very good sign. If he's upset or not feeling well he'll hide, not flop out in the middle of the floor.

As for the rest of it, pretty normal bunny stuff. He'll calm down drastically once altered and the trust thing, well, rabbits are prey animals. It's gonna take time. Best advice is lay down on the floor with him. Don't follow him around, just lay down on the floor and let him come up to you.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

somnambulist posted:

I try to comb him every day but a) he hates being combed (maybe because he doesnt know me super well yet?) and b) he has a lot of matted hair and I have no idea how to deal with it. I try and gently comb it out but im mostly unsuccessful (sometimes i get a tiny bit out) and again, hes like "i hate this, im going to hop away from you"

I tried googling "rabbit groomers" in los angeles but I didnt have a lot of luck :/ Should I just do it myself? How do you deal with big patches of matted hair?

http://www.larabbits.org/
Ask if they have any input on Angora Shearing (not shaving!). Also look into people that do hand-spinning, they might have an angora person.

quote:

He's not neutered and potty training has been really difficult, so i may get him fixed. But there's a lot of other things. He is OBSESSED with my fridge, which didnt alarm me until he peed all around it and he also managed to squeeze in BEHIND it (i was freaking out, he couldnt get out unless i moved the fridge forward (though he managed to find an open area UNDER my fridge and he was just chilling inside (but i was really nervous he would chew the wires)

I only have experience with my female rabbit, but I can not recommend neutering enough. It gave me my sweet girl back from the grasp of hormones. However, finding a vet experienced in it can be difficult, not every vet has experience with it. However, the LA Rabbits group might be able to help you and advise you further.

Does he have any of his own rabbity hiding places? He's probably just looking for somewhere to make his 'den'. The best disposable bunny den I ever used was the box from an 18 pack of budweiser longnecks, with an old towel stuffed in it. Cardboard boxes in general make great bunny toys.

quote:

Was it like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4RZXrvb7yk
or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWkmEhNYVF0

Also, flopping out with his legs out and head on the floor means you have a very comfortable and happy bun. Very similar to cats and dogs, the more ridiculous the resting or sleeping position, the more comfortable and happy they are.

A sick rabbit will often hide, curled up in the smallest space they can, and be uninterested in their favorite snacks. That's when you worry.

We also need photos in order to correctly diagnose how adorable your snugum wuggum floofy bun is. It's procedure, you see.

Bloodnose posted:

How picky are bunnies with hay, normally? I'm really annoyed at my bun being such a picky rear end in a top hat and only eating like 40% of the hay I give him. I'll see his little hay boxes are like practically full and he'll still hop around like he's hungry. When I put in some new hay he'll eat a bunch of that, but then leave like 60% of it. He's so wasteful! Doesn't he know we're in a recession?

If a herbivore can waste hay, they will. This goes from the largest of elephants to the tiniest of buns. Half of the satisfaction and seemingly nutrition from eating hay comes from stepping and pissing on it.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 15, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

If a herbivore can waste hay, they will. This goes from the largest of elephants to the tiniest of buns. Half of the satisfaction and seemingly nutrition from eating hay comes from stepping and pissing on it and then eating it afterwards.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

We also need photos in order to correctly diagnose how adorable your snugum wuggum floofy bun is. It's procedure, you see.

I agree because Angoras are pretty cool. My first and so far only experience with them was on a Chinese Angora wool farm and it was a really fun time. They're just these gigantic fluffballs, like if bunnies were sheep instead, that hop around all friendly and fluffy. The even seemed to like getting sheared. Whenever one of the farmers would go into the barn they'd start hopping up to it all excited. Maybe because southern China is hot as sweaty balls.

somnambulist posted:

He is OBSESSED with my fridge, which didnt alarm me until he peed all around it and he also managed to squeeze in BEHIND it (i was freaking out, he couldnt get out unless i moved the fridge forward (though he managed to find an open area UNDER my fridge and he was just chilling inside (but i was really nervous he would chew the wires)
Be really careful about this. My bunny had to go for [extremely expensive] surgery when he went behind my wobbly fridge and it crushed his tail.

Now I have a really dumb-looking tailless rabbit.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

somnambulist posted:

My friend could no longer take care of her rabbit, so she gave me him about a week ago. I've never owned a rabbit before but I did a ton of reading and I feel a little more comfortable now, but the small nuances are really hard to figure out.

I'll just echo Suspect Bucket, you should absolutely contact that rescue and just let them know you're a new bunny owner who could use the info. If they're like any rescues I've had experience with they will likely be thrilled to offer advice and tips to someone with the good intention of giving a bunny a good life.

Also neuter, neuter, neuter, once that bunny gets those hormones out of his system he'll be much more chill and most likely grow out of a constant need to be a cute furball of destruction. Not that a certain amount of bunnyproofing won't be a given either way. Even past their hormonal/adolescent phases most bunnies have a weakness for some brand of trouble. Make no mistake, just like the sneaky fridge incident, that bunny will likely prove you wrong at multiple times when you think things are safely bunnyproofed.

Litter training may be a challenge until he's past all those hormones, but even so you'll typically notice favor some area(s) as the go to for pooping and peeing (I'm not sure how persistent he may be on "marking" as a male, and strategically positioned poops are totally a bunny territorial thing). It's often easier to introduce the litter box(es) to an area they've already chosen to go in, many times bunnies will pick up pretty quickly on this. The go to trick to help encourage litter use is to give them easily accessible hay on location because then they can multitask on eating/pooping, and since hay is something they should have as a 24/7 buffet, it encourages those litter habits.

As far as tolerating petting/touching/grooming, bunnies can vary wildly. Some are very hands off, be it a prey instinct thing, or simply that some bunnies can be real snobby jerks to the big, oafish humans that have the worst social graces by their standards. His may just be a case of needing to warm up to you in particular, especially when it comes to the hands on task of grooming and messing with his fur or nails, or anything else.

The337th fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 15, 2014

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions, I'm going to try and have him fixed ASAP.

It's been hot as HELL in los angeles this week, but today I noticed a spot of fur is missing and its kinda reddish (pinkish red) Notice the matted fur around the area, I tried using some scissors to cut some of it off but its really difficult (he was given to me this way)

I'm going to have to take him to the groomers, I cant seem to get it all :(

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Looks like either an over-grooming spot, which means he's been stressed (which he had been and may have developed habits), or a hot spot, which means he has allergies (possibly to something he's eating). What have you been feeding him? Have you gotten him a box to hide and hang out in? Do you see him bothering the spot much? Don't worry at it yourself, it looks tender. The best thing you can do is contact the LA Rabbit Society and get a vet appointment. For the heat, I suggest a box fan and a shady comfortable spot for him to hang out under, with free access to lots of fresh water, in multiple spots. I use small, heavy ceramic microwave safe bowls you can get at walmart.

Your rabbit is also defying gravity and hanging out on your ceiling, might want to mention that to the vet.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I love bunnies. I miss my dopey rabbits

You could always foster a rabbit for a local humane society or something. :)

I know your loss is still pretty recent, but it would be a nice change of pace to help out a local bunny, and you wouldn't have to worry too much about anything long term!

(Just, you know, don't get too attached. :v: I still have my most recent foster, but he had a bunch of medical things going on. And he still pees on my tile floor.)

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I've finally found a bonded pair of bunnies for adoption that don't look too much like my past two. I'm going to be calling the foster mom tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything specific to bonded pairs that I should ask about. I have a list of general concerns, but I've never dealt with bonded rabbits.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Windy posted:

I've finally found a bonded pair of bunnies for adoption that don't look too much like my past two. I'm going to be calling the foster mom tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything specific to bonded pairs that I should ask about. I have a list of general concerns, but I've never dealt with bonded rabbits.

Are they male/female I assume? Ask about their behavior between each other and if they need personal spaces or can hang out together all the time. Make sure they're spayed/neutered too I guess.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Windy posted:

Expect them to not have much time for you.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Are they male/female I assume? Ask about their behavior between each other and if they need personal spaces or can hang out together all the time. Make sure they're spayed/neutered too I guess.

It's a mom and son that have both been fixed, but personal space is a good one. I didn't think of that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Windy posted:

It's a mom and son that have both been fixed, but personal space is a good one. I didn't think of that.

Also ask if one is more dominant than the other, just so you know. We have 2 sisters and there's a power relationship there where one is very much the queen bun.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

We have two sisters who spend all their time cuddling each other and not us, when snoopy isn't trying to hump peanut's head :(

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
I found a baby rabbit earlier today and I'm wondering what I should do with it. It's about half the size of my palm and it's eyes are just starting to open. I didn't see any adults anywhere or I would have left it, but seeing as this area has a lot of out door cats, I wouldn't be surprised if they were chased off/killed.

So, should I put him back where I found him, hide him under a bush, or something else entirely? I'm not interested in keeping it, especially since my dog has been begging for the 'treat' I found and I would like to do whatever gives it the best chance.

Though it would make Surma oh so happy to eat it...

e: it's hard to tell because it moves kind of awkwardly, but I think it's back right leg is injured

Aggressive pricing fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 23, 2014

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
You should definitely put it back. Just because you can't see the mother doesn't mean she's not there, and even with cats in the area it has a better chance with her than with you. Baby rabbits are really difficult to care for!

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

You should definitely put it back. Just because you can't see the mother doesn't mean she's not there, and even with cats in the area it has a better chance with her than with you. Baby rabbits are really difficult to care for!

Makes sense, as adorable as it is, I'm not interested in giving the it the care it needs. I put it back near where I found it, but under a bush, so hopefully it's mom can find it soon.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
You would basically need to hand feed it every couple of hours, yeah.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Yeah, it's really young, maybe too young, Winter is pretty close and it's hard to believe it'll grow enough to survive, but it could, I don't know that much about rabbits.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aggressive pricing posted:

Yeah, it's really young, maybe too young, Winter is pretty close and it's hard to believe it'll grow enough to survive, but it could, I don't know that much about rabbits.

Rabbits grow crazy fast, they reach sexual maturity in 6 months. So its probably as alright as any wild rabbit is.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Aww they're fwiends. :3:

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Well, I got me some rabbits. It's the mom and son pair that I wrote about earlier. They are both fixed, and very friendly. While I was visiting, the boy sat in my lap for a half hour and wouldn't budge except to butt my hand for more petting. They were owned for a year by a well-meaning family who didn't know anything about rabbits at the time they found the mom in a farmers field. In fact, they took her to the vet after finding her and the vet labelled her a boy. They realized she was female a month later when she had babies. All the other babies grew up healthy and were re-homed.

Here are the things I know. Both are definitely fixed. Both lived in the house in a smallish cage but were allowed free roam several hours every day. They were fed about a cup and a half of pellets daily as well as romaine lettuce in the morning and hay at all times. They sometimes went outside but never had fleas. They almost never fight and are almost always by each others side. They also used to get baths. The last time they saw the vet was last year "because they've both looked healthy."

They are in Debbie's old pen now since it is MUCH larger than the cage they came in. I've already remedied the food issue since that was clearly too many pellets. Neither one eats hay to they extent that they should but I'm hoping this changes over the next few weeks. I'm going to have to put them both on a diet though. I've also noticed that one or both are not eating their cecotropes. I guess it's nothing new and they haven't every really eaten them, but my understanding is that it's not healthy for a rabbit to not be eating them. My other bunnies very rarely left any lying around. I'll be calling tomorrow for a vet check-up and advice on safely dropping some of the weight.

This is the only decent picture of them in their old cage. The mom(black) is named Silo, and the boy(brown) is Eeyore. I hate the name Eeyore so that will be changing as soon as I can think of something better.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Good call on the pellets, a cup and a half is way too much. Ella gets like a quarter cup. What kind of pellets are they on? I really only trust the kind with chopped timothy as the first ingredient. Oxbow Rabbit Essentials is what I feed.

Getting a rabbit to eat an appropriate amount of hay is a pain in the rear end. When they get raised on industrial diets, they go all "DRY GRASS FOOD? POOP? FOOD? DIG. DRY GRASS NOT FOOD BOTHER GULLIBLE HUMAN FOR SNACKS." Ella came to me with similar issues. Lived in a tiny cage, was fed birdseed, did not eat hay. Now she nibbles on it, not really enough for my liking, but at least she's getting the mechanical action to wear her teeth down correctly. I made the transition by feeding her pellets in a bowl of orchard grass. She eats her pellets in the morning and has free choice of her hay through the day. Any treats we give her (veg scraps) get thrown in the hay bowl to further enforce 'HAY EAT THIS'. A small drizzle of honey in it also helped me, but it leaves you with a slightly sticky rabbit.

You might also have to experiment with hay kinds to see what they like. Orchard and Timothy are the two most easily found. Different cuts of grass taste different as well. I'd avoid Alfalfa, as it has too much calcium, and too little fiber for adult rabbits. It's also a huge mess.

They look good. I have faith in a sensible diet, good vet advice, and light exercise curing what ails.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 29, 2014

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I fed Debbie only 2tbsp of pellets daily so I almost gasped when the lady said what she was feeding. They are larger than my other two rabbits but, yeah, 3/4 cup per rabbit is excessive. I always feed Oxbow, so I promptly put an end to the 40lb feed store bag of food. They don't seem too interested in veggies right now so I'm going to have a tough few months ahead of me.

One thing I noticed this morning is that they are stinky rabbits. I've never had issues with smell before unless the litter box was full, so I'm wondering if it's the pellet litter they came with or something else. I just came home for lunch and cleaned out the pan and added different litter pellets so we'll see what happens with that.

I got so used to particular rabbit habits over the last 11 years so it feels weird having so many questions/issues to deal with again.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
A stonky rabbit is a shameful rabbit. Do they smell like urine, old chicken soup, or hair grease? Hopefully they're not sleeping in their pissy spots, that's a pain.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
When my rabbits are angry, they smell like weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

When my rabbits are angry, they smell like weed.

Stinky rabbits are very shameful. My dumbass buns smelled like sweet sugar and grass. Except when they stepped in a cecal pellet, then they smelled loving awful.