Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prefect posted:

i have to look it up every so often to find out -- i think it means that the icon for a folder you store digital files in should look like a real-life folder you would store real-life files in

I guess that make sense except for all the times it probably blows up spectacularly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

you don't need open or save dialogs if you have a decent desktop file manager and a standard stationery system for apps to hook into.

they only exist at all because the original Macintosh didn't have enough RAM to run Finder at the same time as an application. the Macintosh team invented them because of the limitations that were imposed upon them, not because they were a good idea in themselves.

of course every system that followed the Macintosh has mimicked them, and some of those systems (any form of desktop Linux) are nth-degree mimics because they're just mindlessly copying what another system did.

I don't understand your proposal. What do you do instead of having a Save dialog? It launches the file manager, and then the user does... what exactly?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't understand your proposal. What do you do instead of having a Save dialog? It launches the file manager, and then the user does... what exactly?

you just forget about files and hierarchies entirely and when you click save it puts the file in the butt on its own and when you click open it goes looking in the butt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

api call girl posted:

you just forget about files and hierarchies entirely and when you click save it puts the file in the butt on its own and when you click open it goes looking in the butt

users hate this

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

users hate this

well sure, who wants to see a proctologist to recover their tax returns form from 2007

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the problem with not having save/open dialogues, using the finder exclusively, is task switching

as a user, when i hit command-tab or alt-tab, i'm not presented with a list of open documents to switch among. instead, i have a list of applications to work with. this completely trashes a file- or document-centric view of the world

it becomes natural to open excel, THEN look for the thing you wanted to operate on

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
As much as I would like that, because I never use folders anymore and rely on desktop search to find my files, I think that's the exact opposite approach users who want to change the Open/Save dialogs would like to go.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, if there's one thing we've learned about linux users, it's that they really don't want to be bogged down with the nitty-gritty of file management...

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

this is a small issue, but is there much going on to make gnome lower overhead? If you're on a slow computer and you go into finder, it'll take a while to populate a directory - but then if you back out one level and come back it repopulates the whole thing again. On really slow computers moving directories will bog the system for a bit, but if I go to the shell and move it it's fine. I know there's a bunch that can't be changed, but it'd be nice if that could be made zippier.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

this is a small issue, but is there much going on to make gnome lower overhead? If you're on a slow computer and you go into finder, it'll take a while to populate a directory - but then if you back out one level and come back it repopulates the whole thing again. On really slow computers moving directories will bog the system for a bit, but if I go to the shell and move it it's fine. I know there's a bunch that can't be changed, but it'd be nice if that could be made zippier.

I recently showed the maintainer of nautilus about "perf top", and he spent his whole weekend fixing performance issues in nautilus. This next release will likely be much faster.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I recently showed the maintainer of nautilus about "perf top", and he spent his whole weekend fixing performance issues in nautilus. This next release will likely be much faster.

That's good to hear. I don't know what actually goes on internally but it seems like it copies then deletes when it moves instead of just moving the pointer; a move should be quick but I don't know what obstacles there are to it actually being that simple. I wouldn't want to hack on it myself so bless you folks for doing so. A lot of the time people develop on fast enough machines they don't really see those issues unless they profile their code carefully.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Moves across the same mount should be fast. Moves across two different mounts, even if they're on the same volume, needs to be a copy.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Suspicious Dish posted:

:aaaaa: I already thought perf was awesome for getting flamegraphs of both apps and the whole system, and now i've only just discovered perf top

perf is magical

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

user double-clicks stationery in the file manager to create a new document

user never has to save because of auto-save (but "save" still exists to checkpoint immediately, without bringing up a panel)

this is how Lisa worked and how the Mac was supposed to work, the original Mac just didn't have enough RAM to achieve it (it would probably have needed another 32 or 64KB)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Broken Machine posted:

my new computer does this really fast and doesn't bog down the system

it's a BeBox, and it's old enough to vote

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

eschaton posted:

my new computer does this really fast and doesn't bog down the system

it's a BeBox, and it's old enough to vote

the computer in question is a toaster

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

user double-clicks stationery in the file manager to create a new document

user never has to save because of auto-save (but "save" still exists to checkpoint immediately, without bringing up a panel)

this is how Lisa worked and how the Mac was supposed to work, the original Mac just didn't have enough RAM to achieve it (it would probably have needed another 32 or 64KB)

I'm sure users will be ecstatic if we rewrite even more of the last 40 years of computing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the Windows Explorer save/open dialogs basically perfected the formula, GNOME should've copied that, but that would've required Nautilus being some kind of reusable component

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
does GNOME have an analogue to KParts?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it had some CORBA monstrosity that I think has been completely abandoned because it was a CORBA monstrosity

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

does GNOME have an analogue to KParts?

Not anymore, thank god.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

Not anymore, thank god.

tell me teh horrors :allears:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Compound documents are just a terrible idea to begin with.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

but how will I put my spreadsheet in my presentation???!!!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

"I do not want to see the light." - Linus Torvalds 2014 :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSgUPqygAww

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

it had some CORBA monstrosity that I think has been completely abandoned because it was a CORBA monstrosity

bonobo

and CORBA was not really the problem with it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bonobo

and CORBA was not really the problem with it

it was certainly a problem with it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
so I noticed that some of my students were opening the terminal and immediately typing su and I asked why, I mean, we were just p-langing some stuff

"oh, the linux teacher taught us to always be root, without it you can't do anything on the terminal"

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
lol

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
Double-replying for effect

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quoting for effect

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow it's like windows vista but somehow less functional

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Symbolic Butt posted:

so I noticed that some of my students were opening the terminal and immediately typing su and I asked why, I mean, we were just p-langing some stuff

"oh, the linux teacher taught us to always be root, without it you can't do anything on the terminal"

:cry:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Symbolic Butt posted:

:suicide:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
My former colleagues on the desktop team at Red Hat now have a job open for anybody interested to take over my place. You won't regret it -- it was an amazing team to work with.

https://jobs.redhat.com/jobs/descriptions/senior-software-engineer-westford-massachusetts-job-1-4732322

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

My former colleagues on the desktop team at Red Hat now have a job open for anybody interested to take over my place. You won't regret it -- it was an amazing team to work with.

https://jobs.redhat.com/jobs/descriptions/senior-software-engineer-westford-massachusetts-job-1-4732322
ssl cert on that site is only valid for *.sc.hodesdigital.com, also godaddy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
on my desktop, the oomkiller just shot pulseaudio in the head

16 GB of ram used by the audio server gg

code:
[287818.959312] Out of memory: Kill process 2578 (pulseaudio) score 377 or sacrifice child
[287818.959314] Killed process 2578 (pulseaudio) total-vm:8194508kB, anon-rss:7435148kB, file-rss:1684kB

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
can't wait for systemd memory leaks to kill my system

thanks, lennart

thaaaaart

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's "thennart".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sacrifice child