Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Now how many similar artifacts do you suppose have been destroyed or lost throughout the ages?

I'm going to go with "most of them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know about books, but there are records of people finding bog bodies in peat since at least the 17th century and probably further back than that. But usually they were given a regular burial so I'd assume they're pretty much lost by now. I've also heard of lot of them being accidentally damaged either by the people who found them or by bad attempts at preserving them outside the bog.

Speaking of, ancient mummies used to be ground up for medicine and fertilizer so there's no telling how many of those have been lost.

Paper and Paint too!

See the nice brown hues in that painting?

Mummies!

How's that for your afterlife, King Tut?

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
I'd love it if someone dug me up in thousands of years and painted an awesome picture with me.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Speaking of mummies... I'm reminded of the mellified man:

quote:

Li [Shizhen]: According to 陶九成 [Tao Jiucheng] in the 輟耕錄 [Chuogenglu "Record after retiring from plowing"], it says in Arabia there are men 70 to 80 years old who are willing to give their bodies to save others. The subject does not eat food, he only bathes and partakes of honey. After a month he only excretes honey (the urine and feces are entirely honey) and death follows. His fellow men place him in a stone coffin full of honey in which he macerates. The date is put upon the coffin giving the year and month. After a hundred years the seals are removed. A confection is formed which is used for the treatment of broken and wounded limbs. A small amount taken internally will immediately cure the complaint. It is scarce in Arabia where it is called mellified man.

Most likely a myth, but pretty freaking bizarre. I'm also wondering if folks just did this with a pig and a barrel of honey for a few months and passed it off as a true mellified man.

Related: Lamas preserved in salt, sitting in the lotus position:

benito has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Sep 12, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Haha, I was born in eastern europe and we used to get these too. Probably still have my goggles somewhere.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

benito posted:

"Here lies a boy, his last meal was dried out pork chops and burned dinner rolls. Perhaps there was a ritual significance."

:laffo: "Ritual significance" is sometimes (not always though) archaeologist-code speak for "I found this thing and I don't know what the hell it is or how it was used."

I debated posting about mellified man because this thread got me reading about mummies this morning. So instead I'll throw in the Xin Zhui, which I always thought was a little eerie because (besides looking gross) she was preserved enough for her joints to still be flexible and for an autopsy to be performed. The kicker is that they're still not 100% sure how she was preserved so well for 2000 years, though apparently scientists have come up with some "secret compound" to help. :raise:

And the really depressing but incredibly preserved Children of Llullaillaco. This one is known as "La Donchella" and is well preserved enough that they could diagnose her lung infection 500 years later with a swab:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The science museum in Portland had a mummy section for their temporary exhibit last year. Some of the mummies were really neat but I don't remember any of the names. They also had preserved anencephalic fetuses on display and they were just was alien looking as they are in the pictures. I couldn't imagine giving birth to one of those. Ugh.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Really enjoying the volcano and mummies stuff, thanks, guys/gals! (Although it was Pliny the Younger's uncle, not his dad, who was killed by Vesuvius).

He (Pliny the Elder) sent out part of the Roman fleet to try to save people, as his villa was just opposite the bay; Pliny the Younger was just 16 at the time, and he later wrote about it in a letter to his pal Tacitus

:hist101:

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Benders

A family of serial killers who set up a tavern along the Osage Trail in Kansas. They were a huge story and the cause of a nationwide manhunt when their tavern/abattoir was discovered in 1873, but not much remembered these days.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

The_Raven posted:

A family of serial killers who set up a tavern along the Osage Trail in Kansas. They were a huge story and the cause of a nationwide manhunt when their tavern/abattoir was discovered in 1873, but not much remembered these days.

I was just about to make a post about this. :aaa:

The Bloody Benders are a good read, especially if you go with Rick Geary's graphic novel account of the case.

He's actually done a bunch of other comics about olden days true crime -- H. H. Holmes, Lizzie Borden, the Axman of New Orleans, JACK THE RIPPER, the Lindbergh baby kidnapping...all are amazing, Rick Geary is the man, and you should definitely read everything he has ever written if you are even passingly interested in this stuff.

Wildeyes has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Sep 12, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I am sorry, this thread is now about serial killers who are either volcanoes or ancient bog-folk. I should probably update the OP.

Mother Nature: straight up dealer, serial killer.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Quote is not Edit.

Edit: still a good serial killer link though, I didn't know about them at all! Basically, only post lesser known serial killers

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The_Raven posted:

Investigation Discovery had a documentary on this last night.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Here is a mummy I'd like to know more about : St. Bee's Man. He was a knight who was killed in the Crusades in 1368 named Anthony de Lucy, and his body was buried in a lead coffin that perfectly preserved his body to the point that when it was discovered in 1981, his skin was pink, his irises were visible, and he had liquid blood in his chest.

Unfortunately, there aren't many pictures of him online, which is frustrating because when I hear about a perfectly preserved mummy I want to see him, dammit, and judge for myself. There's a nice transcription of a talk about him here that describes his discovery, autopsy, and the process of identifying him, as well as a brief discussion of some similar mummies.

I wonder if any of de Lucy's descendants could be found, and if so, how they would feel about looking at their literal flesh and blood from six centuries ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Here is a mummy I'd like to know more about : St. Bee's Man. He was a knight who was killed in the Crusades in 1368 named Anthony de Lucy, and his body was buried in a lead coffin that perfectly preserved his body to the point that when it was discovered in 1981, his skin was pink, his irises were visible, and he had liquid blood in his chest.

Unfortunately, there aren't many pictures of him online, which is frustrating because when I hear about a perfectly preserved mummy I want to see him, dammit, and judge for myself. There's a nice transcription of a talk about him here that describes his discovery, autopsy, and the process of identifying him, as well as a brief discussion of some similar mummies.

I wonder if any of de Lucy's descendants could be found, and if so, how they would feel about looking at their literal flesh and blood from six centuries ago.

Did somebody gently caress up the storage of the body? I'd think that the minute you found something like that you'd thrown the lid back on until you could transport the body someplace with a controlled environment. It seems like so much could be lost in letting the body dry out.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Molentik posted:

The Tollund Man.

The Tollund Man is the naturally mummified corpse of a man who lived during the 4th century BCE, during the period characterised in Scandinavia as the Pre-Roman Iron Age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollund_Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_body

For these people, the bogs held some sort of liminal significance, and indeed, they placed into them votive offerings intended for the Other world, often of neck-rings, wristlets or ankle-rings made of bronze or more rarely gold. The archaeologist P.V. Glob believed that these were "offerings to the gods of fertility and good fortune",.[17] It is therefore widely speculated that the Iron Age bog bodies were thrown into the bog for similar reasons, and that they were therefore examples of human sacrifice to the gods. :black101:

Reminds me of this bog body, found on a bog in my native Sweden in 1936. The skin and stuff isn't as well preserved as with the Tollund man, but his hair, skeleton and clothing are. Plus some fragments of muscle, skin and brain.

There's one of the poles he was staked with, through his heart originally.

Reconstruction made on the basis of his bodily remains and clothing he was wearing.

His tunic

His shoes

He's the Bockstensmannen, died around 1350, his body staked by wooden poles to the bog to prevent him from returning as a haunting ghost. What is fascinating are the details of his life we can deduce due to his well-preserved skeleton and clothing. His tunic is probably the best preserved medieval tunic ever found in Europe.

Cause of death is unknown though, but most likely violent. According to medieval superstition, it was mostly people who died violent deaths that would return as poltergeists. He was in his 30's, belonged to the upper class of medieval society, but not the very top. So not a nobleman or a king, but possibly a higher official of some nobleman. 171 cm tall, gangly and unmuscular, wellnourished, and signs on his femur indicated that he rode alot. Wore very fashionable clothing for his time, which is also one of the biggest pieces of evidence for his suggested lower upper class background.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Sep 13, 2014

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It said they reburied St Bee's Man's body, but his shrouds are on display at the church so I expect he has decomposed now...which is a shame, because see how much more we learn about the Ice Man on a regular basis. Always a new discovery, even on an old mummy.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Mass grave found. Bodies almost perfectly preserved. Flesh almost perfectly intact due to the environment. Still wearing appropriate clothes that would have helped them stay warm in the climate and appropriate footwear to traverse it. Still wearing colourful clothes that suggest some kind of religious performance or mass hysteria. Location totally remote from any useful function or habitation. Speculation of a ritual sacrifice to the god of the Mountain.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Falukorv posted:

Reminds me of this bog body, found on a bog in my native Sweden in 1936. The skin and stuff isn't as well preserved as with the Tollund man, but his hair, skeleton and clothing are. Plus some fragments of muscle, skin and brain.

Reconstruction made on the basis of his bodily remains and clothing he was wearing.

His tunic

His shoes

He's the Bockstensmannen, died around 1350, his body staked by wooden poles to the bog to prevent him from returning as a haunting ghost. What is fascinating are the details of his life we can deduce due to his well-preserved skeleton and clothing. His tunic is probably the best preserved medieval tunic ever found in Europe.

Cause of death is unknown though, but most likely violent. According to medieval superstition, it was mostly people who died violent deaths that would return as poltergeists. He was in his 30's, belonged to the upper class of medieval society, but not the very top. So not a nobleman or a king, but possibly a higher official of some nobleman. 171 cm tall, gangly and unmuscular, wellnourished, and signs on his femur indicated that he rode alot. Wore very fashionable clothing for his time, which is also one of the biggest pieces of evidence for his suggested lower upper class background.

This is one of the best things. I've sewn a reproduction of most of his surviving garments based on photos and some measurements I found in a book. Well-preserved textiles are insanely awesome.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
This thread is turning into "cool artifacts" and I'm ok with that.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I think this is the "What do you think this thread is becoming" thread.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

What always gets me about the Tollund Man is how peaceful he looks. That picture especially — he just looks like he's sleeping. The crinkle in his lips looks like your early-morning slightly dried out lips, not a couple thousand years of death. That slight frown looks like he's just furrowing his brow in his sleep. It's just... drat uncanny.

Even though h was hanged, he looks like he's welcoming it. In fact, he was hung so carefully the cervical vertebrae weren't even damaged. This was not a quick death. This wasn't a drop and snap hanging. This was slow. The autopsy in 2002 showed his tongue as being distended, a classic symptom of hanging. And yet he looks like he's asleep. :psyduck:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

TheModernAmerican posted:

I think this is the "What do you think this thread is becoming" thread.

Volcanoes vs bog mummies no matter who wins we lose D:

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
It's creepy how many of these preserved bog bodies appear to have been strangled. Like Yde Girl from about 2,000 years ago.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Loving the bog bodies....back to missing people for a second, the whole wiki page is a great read...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_disappeared_mysteriously

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Falukorv posted:

His tunic

His shoes

God, I never realized how deeply creepy it would be to see a skull with hair.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I unfortunately wasted a large portion of schooling almost getting a history degree. I was focused very heavily on the Dark Ages specifically. And the thing I always found the most unnerving was how into appearance and self upkeep the Vikings were, and also how their society was very progressive enough to trick you into a lull until you are suddenly reminded of their stunning level of cultural violence.

In the Sagas there is a point where a man wont let some travelers (our main characters at this point) stay in his home. This is a huuuuuge no-no in Viking society because things were so harsh and spread out that the existence of commerce depended heavily on being able to sleep in peoples houses for free. So the characters get pissed and come back at night to steal food from his storage house. But then when they are walking away to their boat their leader remembers that stealing is illegal and dishonorable.

So, like, do they return his stuff, say sorry, maybe work his land for a while to repay the slight?

gently caress no, they light his house on fire and kill him.

Because as long as you defeat a man in battle taking his stuff is honorable and cool.

The idea that people who thought and acted so much like us (it was customary for Norse men to carry expensive shaving kits with them everywhere they went! Women had actual rights! They liked pro wrestling!) but were also accepting of a extremely cavalier attitude towards killing other men. Also the sport of Viking lords/chiefs/kings was horse fighting. Where you sexually excite and anger two stallions and then place them in a deep pit where they proceed to violently kill each other.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I unfortunately wasted a large portion of schooling almost getting a history degree. I was focused very heavily on the Dark Ages specifically. And the thing I always found the most unnerving was how into appearance and self upkeep the Vikings were, and also how their society was very progressive enough to trick you into a lull until you are suddenly reminded of their stunning level of cultural violence.

In the Sagas there is a point where a man wont let some travelers (our main characters at this point) stay in his home. This is a huuuuuge no-no in Viking society because things were so harsh and spread out that the existence of commerce depended heavily on being able to sleep in peoples houses for free. So the characters get pissed and come back at night to steal food from his storage house. But then when they are walking away to their boat their leader remembers that stealing is illegal and dishonorable.

So, like, do they return his stuff, say sorry, maybe work his land for a while to repay the slight?

Because as long as you defeat a man in battle taking his stuff is honorable and cool.

The idea that people who thought and acted so much like us (it was customary for Norse men to carry expensive shaving kits with them everywhere they went! Women had actual rights! They liked pro wrestling!) but were also accepting of a extremely cavalier attitude towards killing other men. Also the sport of Viking lords/chiefs/kings was horse fighting. Where you sexually excite and anger two stallions and then place them in a deep pit where they proceed to violently kill each other.

Obligatory mention of the Blood Eagle.

I was reading Jared Diamond's book Collapse and he goes into detail about how the violence of Norse culture likely hastened the demise of their settlements in Greenland and the new world. He gives the first account known of Viking interaction with the Natives ("Skraelings") which is basically 'we met these people in this new land, here is what weapons they have and what happens when we stab them!' and according to the Sagas they were violently expelled from Vinland, so they seem to have never tried to get along with the natives even from the start. When they were in Greenland they had a similarly contemptuous view of the recently arrived Thule people, adopting none of the very useful technology or customs they had and having no records of anything friendly. Meanwhile there are lots of records and stories of violence and blood-feuds in Greenland, which was crippling to the male population in a society with only around 4-5000 people total. God, people suck!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Dick shoulda let them stay, maybe they wouldn't have had to kill his jerk rear end then. :colbert:

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Ague Proof posted:

Mass grave found. Bodies almost perfectly preserved. Flesh almost perfectly intact due to the environment. Still wearing appropriate clothes that would have helped them stay warm in the climate and appropriate footwear to traverse it. Still wearing colourful clothes that suggest some kind of religious performance or mass hysteria. Location totally remote from any useful function or habitation. Speculation of a ritual sacrifice to the god of the Mountain.

:golfclap:

You are talking about all the bodies on Mt Everest, right?

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Rondette posted:

Loving the bog bodies....back to missing people for a second, the whole wiki page is a great read...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_disappeared_mysteriously

I'll call this one out specifically, the Disappearance of Maura Murray. Relatively recent, we know a fair amount about what was happening immediately prior to her disappearance, and yet she vanished 10 years ago and we don't have anything conclusive.

quote:

Maura then left Amherst, presumably via Interstate 91 north. She called to check her voice mail at 4:37 pm, the last recorded use of her cell phone. To date there is no indication she had informed anyone of her destination or evidence she had chosen one.

Some time after 7:00 pm, a Woodsville, New Hampshire, resident heard a loud thump outside of her house. Through her window she could see a black Saturn sedan up against the snowbank along Route 112, also known as Wild Ammonoosuc Road. The car pointed west on the eastbound side of the road. She telephoned the Grafton County Sheriff's Department at 7:27 pm to report the accident. At about the same time another neighbor saw the Saturn as well as someone walking around the vehicle. She witnessed a third neighbor pull up alongside the Saturn.

That neighbor, a school bus driver returning home, noticed the young woman was not bleeding but cold and shivering. He offered to telephone for help. She asked him not to call the police (one police report says "pleaded") and assured him she'd already called AAA. (AAA has no record of any such call.) Knowing there was no cell phone reception in the area, the bus driver continued home and phoned the police. His call was received by the Sheriff's Department at 7:43 pm. He was unable to see Maura's car while he made the phone call but did notice several cars pass on the road before the police arrived.

At 7:46 pm, a Haverhill police officer arrived at the scene. No one was inside or around the car. The car's windshield was cracked on the driver's side and both airbags had deployed. The car was locked. Inside and outside the car he discovered red stains that looked to be red wine. The officer found a damaged box of Franzia wine on the rear seat. In addition, he found an AAA card issued to Maura Murray, blank crash report forms, gloves, compact discs, makeup, two sets of MapQuest driving directions (one to Burlington, Vermont, another to Stowe, Vermont), Maura's favorite stuffed animal, and Not Without Peril, a book about mountain climbing in the White Mountains. Missing were Maura's debit card, credit cards, and cell phone, none of which have been located or used since her disappearance.

Explanations range from "stumbled off the road, died someplace where her body hasn't been found" to "picked up by opportunistic murderer" to "traveling in tandem with another driver in a separate vehicle who picked her up after the crash." This last one is the preference of James Renner, who has written and researched a lot about Maura, evidently - his blog is here He also pops in on this Reddit thread from 2012 about the case. I haven't read back through his archives so I can't comment on the crackpot/legit investigation ratio here. In the Reddit thread, he tells someone who theorizes that Maura was abused by her father that they "have a good read on the case."

Much like the bog people or Jack the Ripper or most of the other human things we've discussed here, which theory makes the most sense depends on how you weight the evidence. We have a lot of info in this case - like the fact that she was being investigated for credit card fraud - that could be key or could be completely unrelated.

Some nasty gently caress also released strange videos taunting her family a few years ago. (James Renner re-hosted them here.) One of the videos included a picture of a lift pass from nearby Bretton Woods ski area, dated two days after her disappearance (and many years before the videos).

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
On the bog body topic. Lots of the above bodies are in relatively good nick. They still have say, heads & arms. There is a well-known exception to this however.

This is Old Croghan Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Croghan_Man

Old Croghan Man is rather interesting among bog bodies as you can tell. He was decapitated & his body cut in half for some mysterious reason. Further, by measuring his arm length he was estimated to be about 6 foot, 6 inches tall. Other than that, he's believed to be of noble birth by the plaited leather band on his left arm.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Helena Handbasket posted:

I'll call this one out specifically, the Disappearance of Maura Murray. Relatively recent, we know a fair amount about what was happening immediately prior to her disappearance, and yet she vanished 10 years ago and we don't have anything conclusive.

Explanations range from "stumbled off the road, died someplace where her body hasn't been found" to "picked up by opportunistic murderer" to "traveling in tandem with another driver in a separate vehicle who picked her up after the crash." This last one is the preference of James Renner, who has written and researched a lot about Maura, evidently - his blog is here He also pops in on this Reddit thread from 2012 about the case. I haven't read back through his archives so I can't comment on the crackpot/legit investigation ratio here. In the Reddit thread, he tells someone who theorizes that Maura was abused by her father that they "have a good read on the case."

Much like the bog people or Jack the Ripper or most of the other human things we've discussed here, which theory makes the most sense depends on how you weight the evidence. We have a lot of info in this case - like the fact that she was being investigated for credit card fraud - that could be key or could be completely unrelated.

Some nasty gently caress also released strange videos taunting her family a few years ago. (James Renner re-hosted them here.) One of the videos included a picture of a lift pass from nearby Bretton Woods ski area, dated two days after her disappearance (and many years before the videos).

Alden Olson, the guy who made the videos, is a very intelligent and mentally-ill alcoholic who lives in a halfway house and occasionally works part-time helping a guy who buys unclaimed storage units. He lives in the same general area where Maura disappeared. He found the lift pass in one of the old storage units he was going through, and decided to make those videos both to troll Topix, where he hangs out under different names, and to taunt Maura's parents and the people investigating her disappearance, but mainly to get attention. I actually posted a thread about this a few years ago (and was promptly banned by Senor Woodchuck, who thought I was James Renner promoting his blog, lol) and ended up tangling with Alden a little bit online. He's a pretty sad case; a well-educated man who writes beautifully, who could have had a good life except for late-onset schizophrenia and alcoholism.

As for Maura, I think she had a drinking problem herself, she definitely had an unhealthy relationship with her father (though I don't agree with Renner and his hints about sexual abuse) and she had money troubles and minor legal troubles (she used the credit card of another student in her dorm to order takeout food, that's it.) She took off with a carful of booze that she was possibly drinking as she drove, she had a fender-bender on an icy, rural road, and I think she wandered off into the woods and froze to death. There's a lot of other weird, creepy poo poo around her disappearance, but I think it only becomes weird and creepy in the context that she disappeared.

If you ask Topix, she staged the accident, was met on the road by a Canadian boyfriend no one knew about, and is currently living under another name and managing a Curves workout salon in Toronto.

bonestructure has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Sep 13, 2014

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Aristophanes posted:

:golfclap:

You are talking about all the bodies on Mt Everest, right?

I did not catch that at all. It makes me wonder what writings will survive that will explain our contemporary world, and how many elements will be left up to the speculation of future historians.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Fragrag posted:

I did not catch that at all. It makes me wonder what writings will survive that will explain our contemporary world, and how many elements will be left up to the speculation of future historians.

We don't know who this "Colonel Sanders" was, but we find it hard to believe he controlled all the territories which hold his garrisons. More likely he was an amalgamation of many petty conquerors, merged by folklore.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
It seems that America, at the peak of its power, ascribed some power to the sun, building hundreds of giant coliseums specifically designed to face the rising and setting of the sun. The largest of these were situated in major cities, indicating their role as places of gathering and worship.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Fragrag posted:

Here's the definitive book on that scenario: Motel of the Mysteries, which is about a famous archaeological discovery in the year 4022.

The authors point is that while archaeologists are truly dedicated to their work, once history gets remote enough their guesses are just that. The book is really funny because all of their guesses are wrong... its "present day" seems equivalent to about the nineteenth century, and the grand burial plaza they uncover is just a 20th century motel. It never occurs to the archaeologists that the civilization they've uncovered might have been more technologically advanced than their own.

How these ceremonial accoutrements may have been worn (note the outhouse in the background). When they uncover the parking lot for instance, they confidently assume that the rusted metal coffins they find were designed to transport souls to the afterlife, since they are all labeled with the names of powerful ancient gods and totems (Saturn, Thunderbird, Eagle, Ford etc.)

Then there are the misfortunes that befall some of the excavators... the dreaded and mysterious Curse of Toot n' Come In.

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Sep 13, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Jeherrin posted:

Even though h was hanged, he looks like he's welcoming it. In fact, he was hung so carefully the cervical vertebrae weren't even damaged. This was not a quick death. This wasn't a drop and snap hanging. This was slow. The autopsy in 2002 showed his tongue as being distended, a classic symptom of hanging. And yet he looks like he's asleep. :psyduck:

Keep in mind that "hanging" as we think of it now, with the drop/broken neck wasn't really a thing until around the 19th century. Until then (and in the time of Tollund Man) hanging just meant putting a rope around someone's neck, suspending them and letting them strangle to death. Which might explain why his vertebrae weren't really damaged.

Freudian posted:

We don't know who this "Colonel Sanders" was, but we find it hard to believe he controlled all the territories which hold his garrisons. More likely he was an amalgamation of many petty conquerors, merged by folklore.

You joke, but stuff like this is exactly why I hated studying archaeology in college. We did an exercise once where the professor gave the class a fictional "site" and told them to interpret it. And pretty much everyone just did the "it was a religious/ritual object" thing and started making up elaborate scenarios with no evidence whatsoever. I understand there's a certain amount of filling in the blanks required when you're dealing with ancient evidence, but it got kind of ridiculous.

Cannibalism is another. I don't know what it is, but everyone wants to see cannibalism when they find any marks on a bone.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

RevSyd posted:

Here's the definitive book on that scenario: Motel of the Mysteries, which is about a famous archaeological discovery in the year 4022.

The authors point is that while archaeologists are truly dedicated to their work, once history gets remote enough their guesses are just that. The book is really funny because all of their guesses are wrong... its "present day" seems equivalent to about the nineteenth century, and the grand burial plaza they uncover is just a 20th century motel. It never occurs to the archaeologists that the civilization they've uncovered might have been more technologically advanced than their own.

How these ceremonial accoutrements may have been worn (note the outhouse in the background). When they uncover the parking lot for instance, they confidently assume that the rusted metal coffins they find were designed to transport souls to the afterlife, since they are all labeled with the names of powerful ancient gods and totems (Saturn, Thunderbird, Eagle, Ford etc.)

Then there are the misfortunes that befall some of the excavators... the dreaded and mysterious Curse of Toot n' Come In.

My favorite part of this book was they pronounced 'USA' as 'Ooo-saaa', like a word.

Also what they think caused the downfall of USA was they slashed postal rates for junkmail, causing the entire nation to be buried in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Freudian posted:

One of the cute little moments in Neal Stephenson's "Diamond Age" has a Chinese official sitting in a restaurant dining upon a meal of Colonel Sanders chicken, and wondering if the ancient individual it is named after and his inscrutable herbs and spices ever really existed, like anyone today who has ever eaten General Tso's chicken has. It's easy to go overboard with the "in the future our everyday mundane things become exotic ancient wisdom" sci-fi trope but Stephenson does it well.

I read somewhere that both Elvis and Colonel Sanders have taken the initial steps towards becoming worldwide cultural memes, as their images and legends are adapted and assimilated into various societies worldwide, so it's unlikely but not terribly unlikely that in 1500 years you'll have some cult worshiping Elvis as an ancient deity etc.

To connect back to Wikipedia, there's the burgeoning Prince Phillip Movement, a cargo cult deifying the Royal consort. (When asked for comment, Prince Phillip probably remarked "They do seem rather brighter than the average darkie.")

The_Raven posted:

How very... local.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOtpgz4L5d8

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Sep 13, 2014