Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Oxyclean posted:

When Transverse fails to get crowdfunding they said they'll just fund it through more traditional routes, rather then take the hint that no-one is interested in it.

"Traditional routes" will probably just mean we'll see a content drought on MWO for several months, then suddenly CLAN WAVE TWO, PREORDER YOUR EXCLUSIVE LIMITED TIME PLATINUM MECH FOR 500$ TODAY!

I hope they do a orange/cherry candy paintjob this time. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

imperialparadox posted:

:vince:

I guess Doob has a place to work if the hotdog business falls through. Or is it that Paul has a place to work if the Transverse fails?

IIRC after goons gave him a shitton of money it turned out that the building he was fixing up didn't have a proper hood or ventilation or whatever for the area he was going to be cooking the dogs, and adding it would have been like $15k which was way out of his price range? Never followed the aftermath, whether it was just dooby not having a clue or if he was stringing goons along as far as he could.

The second one would work better for this tangent though. :pgi:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
In about the same timeframe, this has raised more than Transverse.

Of course, their website looks like less of a shitshow, so there's that...

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I saw a while ago folks talking about old MW stuff being abandonware. I never played the old stuff besides maybe mech assault 1 which I have a copy of but no recollection of playing. I like stompy robits, what would be a good starting point for someone looking through old titles and where would I find them?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

axelsoar posted:

I saw a while ago folks talking about old MW stuff being abandonware. I never played the old stuff besides maybe mech assault 1 which I have a copy of but no recollection of playing. I like stompy robits, what would be a good starting point for someone looking through old titles and where would I find them?

3 and up, maybe 1 just for the kicking bar music. 2's core gameplay is still fun but everything else is just super dated. MW4:Mercs free release is probably the best one released.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

imperialparadox posted:

:vince:

I guess Doob has a place to work if the hotdog business falls through. Or is it that Paul has a place to work if the Transverse fails?

Does doob have an opening for "Head tetris player?" Because Paul has that poo poo covered.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Well it's being made by MekTek. It's not exactly p2w as you have to buy the game then you own it, no monthly sub or any poo poo like that. I'd much rather pay 40 up front than what PGI is doing. They have videos of destructible terrain. They're going to have a melee system. They know what makes robots fun. I definitely won't be giving them any money until I try closed beta. I loving love me some Heavy Gear 2. Hoping it will be good but obviously jaded at this point.

On their own forums they have poo poo on PGI. That's also pretty good.
They changed it to not be free to play? When did that happen?

I was listening to the Kong Kast episode recently with them and the modular plate system they got going is cool. I'd definitely buy into it regardless, wanna get in on some totally-not-Scopedog action.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Zeether posted:

They changed it to not be free to play? When did that happen?

I was listening to the Kong Kast episode recently with them and the modular plate system they got going is cool. I'd definitely buy into it regardless, wanna get in on some totally-not-Scopedog action.

I have no idea when they changed it. I think they want that esports competitive angle and decided free to play wasn't the way to go?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

axelsoar posted:

There is somebody putting together a new SA MechWarrior OP I think that intends to have all the details on the older games, but if you are in the goon SC group (full of MWO refugees) there's a post here you might want to check out with information on what's been made available.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

MW4 Mercs download

Is this what you're looking for? Includes MTX Extractor, the game files, the standalone hotfixes, and a readme on how to install it all. I'm downloading it now. Thanks reddit!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kazvall posted:

I have no idea when they changed it. I think they want that esports competitive angle and decided free to play wasn't the way to go?
I'd be willing to drop cash on the game if it pans out well. They were also talking about stuff like individual finger movements and I think they brought up being able to flip someone off with the mech's hand after punching them/shooting out one of their critical sensors which would be amazing.

Also have fun trying to get MW3 to work on modern video cards. My mech bounced into the air walking off a ledge during training and took forever to come down.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 12, 2014

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Hey guys I just acquired the IP rights for command and conquer, gonna make an RTS game. Gonna need funding though so listen here are some stretch goals:

$1B: you can build a man
$2B: you can build more than one man
$2.5B: you can build different sorts of mans!!
$3B: mans can move around the map
$3.5B: map can rotate AND zoom
$4B: ghost heat
$5B: combat

PGI do you like the way I think? Hire me for COO thanks.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Zeether posted:

Also have fun trying to get MW3 to work on modern video cards. My mech bounced into the air walking off a ledge during training and took forever to come down.

It's the free release of MW4: Mercs by MekTek, including the other patches and files you need. I'm extracting them now will update when/if the game works.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Zeether posted:

I'd be willing to drop cash on the game if it pans out well. They were also talking about stuff like individual finger movements and I think they brought up being able to flip someone off with the mech's hand after punching them/shooting out one of their critical sensors which would be amazing.

In a desperate bid to play MW3 after MWO went to hell I tried loading up a VM with MW3 and got some seriously strange draw issues even though I was trying to do everything through software rendering hoping that my CPU (i7 4660k) could compensate but no dice. I loved MW4 and all but something about MW3 really appealed to me. As dumb as it is, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the trajectories missles would take after firing. I love seeing missles doing barrel roll motions through the air before smashing into big stompy robots.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kazvall posted:

It's the free release of MW4: Mercs by MekTek, including the other patches and files you need. I'm extracting them now will update when/if the game works.
I know that, I was just bringing up the weird issues with MW3. 4 works fine as far as I know but I wish 3 would too :(

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Kazvall posted:

MW4 Mercs download

Is this what you're looking for? Includes MTX Extractor, the game files, the standalone hotfixes, and a readme on how to install it all. I'm downloading it now. Thanks reddit!

You are good people Kaz, sorry we are not shooting robbits together because of this lovely game/company.

Does this have working multiplayer?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

axelsoar posted:

You are good people Kaz, sorry we are not shooting robbits together because of this lovely game/company.

Does this have working multiplayer?

Yes and it can be rather fun, I have my gimmick build for that.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'd be down to play MW2 NetMech, I was able to get onto the server for it easily. Would be more fun than MWO despite the graphical downgrade.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zeether posted:

I know that, I was just bringing up the weird issues with MW3. 4 works fine as far as I know but I wish 3 would too :(

I tried mw3 a while back. I had issues with APCs bouncing a thousand feet into the air if I had hardware acceleration turned on, and my mech just fell through the floor if I had it turned off. It's a finicky beast but if you can get it up and running it's pretty drat fun still.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries is still probably my favorite, even though the graphics are super dated. There was just something incredibly fun about being rewarded for NOT doing one of the major story missions by taking a one-off black ops job to steal a Kodiak (and then turning around and killing the people who hired you to steal it for yourself).

Edit: I still have my physical copy. If I could figure out how to get it to run on my computer I'd probably play very little else.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Pop

PoptartsNinja posted:

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries is still probably my favorite, even though the graphics are super dated. There was just something incredibly fun about being rewarded for NOT doing one of the major story missions by taking a one-off black ops job to steal a Kodiak (and then turning around and killing the people who hired you to steal it for yourself).

Edit: I still have my physical copy. If I could figure out how to get it to run on my computer I'd probably play very little else.

There is a website that has a utility to do exactly that! It has been a few years since I searched for it at home!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's a shame the guy who was doing the MW2 LP disappeared/lost interest before he could get around to doing Wolf campaign, or GBL or Mercs.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

PoptartsNinja posted:

There was just something incredibly fun about being rewarded for NOT doing one of the major story missions by taking a one-off black ops job to steal a Kodiak (and then turning around and killing the people who hired you to steal it for yourself).

:stare:

Goddamn, you can actually do that? I wish I bought a copy.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Axe-man posted:

There is a website that has a utility to do exactly that! It has been a few years since I searched for it at home!
MechVM. Make sure to check this thread to see which versions work though: http://www.mech2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=281

Basically if you have the Pentium edition or the disc with "Includes NetMech" in red you're good.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 12, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

10 minutes in and I'm playing MW4 Mercs on Gameranger. Holy gently caress poo poo these default controls. This is GREAT, though. I suggest everyone gets it loving RIGHT NOW.

Zeether posted:

Ah, sorry, MW3 is probably my favorite.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Pooncha posted:

Yep there is a mission with a moral choice :obama:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kazvall posted:

10 minutes in and I'm playing MW4 Mercs on Gameranger. Holy gently caress poo poo these default controls. This is GREAT, though. I suggest everyone gets it loving RIGHT NOW.
Yeah, MW4's controls turned me off from it. Not sure what a good keyboard + mouse setup would be but I could come back to it if there's a good setup.

Also it's pretty much like the newest BattleTech pod game which is cool.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

Yeah, MW4's controls turned me off from it. Not sure what a good keyboard + mouse setup would be but I could come back to it if there's a good setup.

It's because it was designed with joystick use in mind. It took me a long time to get a keyboard setup that I liked.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Zeether posted:

I'm spending more time mapping my controls than I did installing. I'll try whatever I have now and see if it works.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pooncha posted:

Yup. You pretty much tell them: "Mission? What mission?" later on (you also don't get paid--and the payout for giving it back is pretty much enough to buy an Atlas). Since it was a secret ISF project and you killed everyone involved, nobody knows a thing (but the Draconis Combine pretty much won't hire you afterwards).

The game is also a jerk and starts you in a Commando. It's great. :allears:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 12, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Okay this is really not bad once you figure out the controls. I'm not even going to try customizing any mechs until I try out all these stocks, I guess. So many loving choices. Anyone can host a server on Gameranger and we could all be playing this later in crazy hunchback IICs!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yup. You pretty much tell them: "Mission? What mission?" later on (you also don't get paid--and the payout for giving it back is pretty much enough to buy an Atlas). Since it was a secret ISF project and you killed everyone involved, nobody knows a thing (but the Draconis Combine pretty much won't hire you afterwards).

How does it feel to be strapped into a walking nuke reactor at 6am? You'll be killing people before breakfast.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah that makes the game so hard commando :argh:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Just do the Urban Unrest missions before you do the Tutorial and you will salvage a Jenner in what the first or second mission? Then do the tutorial and salvage the Javelin and sell all three and buy a Hunchback.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Or just take that Jenner to the end like a man I mean drat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

Yeah that makes the game so hard commando :argh:

With your starting cash you can sell it and immediately upgrade to a Jenner (just make sure to point your cockpit slightly up or down, because the Jenner's head is perfectly centered for easy headshots by other Jenners--of which the first mission contains one).

Or be cheap and swap out the SRMs for medium lasers and just steal the Jenner from the first mission (Jenners are incredibly easy to headshot).

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
http://mwomercs.com/news/2014/09/949-kill-dev-weekend

Maybe :pgi: is giving the players a chance to vent?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
MW4 runs like crap on my computer and I have no idea why.

OB_Juan posted:

500 mc isn't enough to even buy loving PAINT.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OB_Juan posted:

We need to use number19 as bait to set up pubbie ambushes.

A.o.D. posted:

500 mc isn't enough to even buy loving PAINT.

Product not thought out completely? From PGI? :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The best thing about MW2:Mercs (in retrospect, because it was fukkan annoying at the time) was finishing a tough mission, getting your pay and not having enough to get a mech fixed up enough to take another mission. Then this plays

• Locked thread