Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Munin posted:

I like the design but looking at the transition from underneath it looks as if it is something someone bodged together and I'd be curious how (probably badly) the upper support column was attached to the ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Hope a stretcher is never needed up there. drat.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

The House Of Broken Toes

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Veinless posted:

Except for a couple that are bolted to the wall, all steps stay in place through friction only. You could loosen one of the screws in the rings and swing the steps out of the way, making a hole you could lower someone through vertically along a rope.

That is: in theory. Reality is all those tiny screws are stripped due to them having a hole for an allen key only very slightly smaller than the thickness of the screw.

I've been meaning to change them out for hex bolts for the last ten years, but eh.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Nice!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

One acid trip away from being a 2nd-floor recluse

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Except for a couple that are bolted to the wall, all steps stay in place through friction only. You could loosen one of the screws in the rings and swing the steps out of the way, making a hole you could lower someone through vertically along a rope.

Please mechanize this process so they are only out when someone's near them, like some kind of bullshit videogame bridge. Bonus points if they're all pressure-sensitive and supply just one stair at a time above and below the one in use.

e: if you do this then consider also replacing them with an approximation of those hands from Labyrinth.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 6, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Munin posted:

I like the design but looking at the transition from underneath it looks as if it is something someone bodged together and I'd be curious how (probably badly) the upper support column was attached to the ceiling.

you'd think there would at least be a substantial connection between the two posts instead of just that little wire keeping them aligned.

I'm picturing the top half coming loose and taking a core sample of somebody going downstairs.

Veinless posted:

Assuming it's like most places and rolls a fire unit along with the medics, just always send a ladder truck when that address comes up, and take the stretcher out through the window.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

take the stretcher out through the window.

:iit:

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

lol

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Zemyla posted:

HOW THE gently caress
The wall just wanted to chillax for a few minutes :c00lbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

At my brother's apartment complex:

Hmm, yes, this seems fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nothing jumps out as me as "not to code" or hazardous there.

Just typical lazy phone/catv installers. This is what happened to the cable plant of both industries since they started hiring contractors as installers. It's even worse in places you don't typically see (cross connects and in some cases head ends).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Motronic posted:

Nothing jumps out as me as "not to code" or hazardous there.

Just typical lazy phone/catv installers. This is what happened to the cable plant of both industries since they started hiring contractors as installers. It's even worse in places you don't typically see (cross connects and in some cases head ends).

So there's no code that says that the boxes can't be open and let water into everything? Is that because it's under 50V so the government basically says "gently caress it whatever it's cool"?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

So there's no code that says that the boxes can't be open and let water into everything? Is that because it's under 50V so the government basically says "gently caress it whatever it's cool"?

There is nothing hazardous there. So no reason to regulate the hell out of it. Not that that hasn't stopped building/property maintenance codes before.

If you want good work, hire good people. Or better yet, do it yourself.

Also, minimum code is usually poo poo. It's not exactly some benchmark to strive for.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

There is nothing hazardous there. So no reason to regulate the hell out of it. Not that that hasn't stopped building/property maintenance codes before.

If you want good work, hire good people. Or better yet, do it yourself.

Also, minimum code is usually poo poo. It's not exactly some benchmark to strive for.

No kidding. If you want to see how dangerous a low voltage shock is, stick a 9V battery to your tongue. Better yet, look up on YouTube how many 9V batteries you would need to attach together to weld with.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you want to see how high voltage "low voltage" actually goes, try stripping phone wire with your teeth when someone calls the line. 90V AC @ 20 Hz is a great substitute for coffee in the morning...

There's still no real danger involved, but it sure stings.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wolrah posted:

If you want to see how high voltage "low voltage" actually goes, try stripping phone wire with your teeth when someone calls the line. 90V AC @ 20 Hz is a great substitute for coffee in the morning...

There's still no real danger involved, but it sure stings.

True. Had a kitten that loved chewing on the telephone wire...until the last time, which was when the phone rang mid-chew. Never did it again.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm told rubbing habanero pepper juice on their favorite wire is a good deterrent.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've used a product called Bitter Yuck, which deters chewing but also does not involve smearing food all over something you might want to touch eventually.

The wiring in my phone photo up there is all cable and phone, but it's also fairly typical of what his apartment complex is like generally. I'll try to take a couple photos of the electrical work at some point. It's not as blatantly exposed, but it's still a messy hackjob with some highly questionable external exposure.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Javid posted:

I'm told rubbing habanero pepper juice on their favorite wire is a good deterrent.

Dominic you rat! How could you give your own brother the spicy phone line Dominic!?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

PainterofCrap posted:

True. Had a kitten that loved chewing on the telephone wire...until the last time, which was when the phone rang mid-chew. Never did it again.

My Dachshund loved doing that- Was chewing his way thru (thankfully unplugged) 240V extension leads with alarming regularity. Until one day he bit the LV side of the Macbook Pro's power lead while it was plugged in- That was a hell of a yelp!

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Re: Home Depot...

kastein posted:

The realist in me says that the same complete retard who wrote their search engine also was responsible for their order fulfillment system.

Their website is awful, but it used to be worse. Way worse.

It's still bad enough that I certainly would never trust it with financial details or a password I used anywhere else. You know that poo poo is stored in plaintext on an old desktop jammed under someone's desk and probably fed through the encryption equivalent of Blistex's porch-room instead of being properly protected.

Just quoting some prophetic words here for posterity.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Aoi-chan posted:

One of the developers of it is on trial for hot car murdering his child and sexting underage girls. lol.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Ferremit posted:

My Dachshund loved doing that- Was chewing his way thru (thankfully unplugged) 240V extension leads with alarming regularity. Until one day he bit the LV side of the Macbook Pro's power lead while it was plugged in- That was a hell of a yelp!

My puppy has destroyed two of these so far. I soldered the second one back together rather than spending another $80. Neither was plugged in at the time unfortunately so she didn't learn her lesson.
Hopefully she never chews something connected to the mains.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Aoi-chan posted:

god dammit :eng99:

what have i done

e: from an article I found on the data breach - the 3000 stolen credit cards for sale from the home depot branch (they're pretty sure there are more, but that's all that has made it out so far) had these billing ZIP codes. If your ZIP is among them, check with your bank and check your statement for suspicious transactions.
http://krebsonsecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/hd_rescator_zips.txt

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 12, 2014

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

kastein posted:

what have i done

e: from an article I found on the data breach - the 3000 stolen credit cards for sale from the home depot branch (they're pretty sure there are more, but that's all that has made it out so far) had these billing ZIP codes. If your ZIP is among them, check with your bank and check your statement for suspicious transactions.

In it, voted 5.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

what have i done

I like the "Canad" at the end. Ahhh, Americans and your inability to program a system that accepts Canadian postal codes...

"NO YOU HAVE TO PUT A SPACE IN THERE"
"NO SPACES IN THIS ONE"
"I don't recognize that as a valid postal code."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Luckily for me, my wallet got stolen recently so my new credit cards aren't affected by this breach :suicide:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
gently caress, mine's on there. :| No suspicious charges on the card I can check from here, at least, and the other one just expired so I have a new one anyway.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

these billing ZIP codes
Mine's not on there, but my card was compromised last week. I'm sure it was a total coincidence then! Hah. The zip code up the street from me is on there, whoever made this list probably just hasn't reached my block yet.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

PuTTY riot posted:

One of the developers of it is on trial for hot car murdering his child and sexting underage girls. lol.

Pretty sure he wasn't one of those developers. My brother worked with him, and at the time I think they were developing the paint mixing machine software.

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

slap me silly posted:

Mine's not on there, but my card was compromised last week. I'm sure it was a total coincidence then! Hah. The zip code up the street from me is on there, whoever made this list probably just hasn't reached my block yet.

I think these are the zip of the Home Depot store.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

spencer for hire posted:

Iiiiinnnn that case.... I'm in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slap me silly posted:

Iiiiinnnn that case.... I'm in.

Oh boy....me too.

I just went through this a few months ago with the Target hack.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

spencer for hire posted:

Correct:

Krebs on Security posted:

The card data stolen from Home Depot customers and now for sale on the crime shop Rescator[dot]cc includes both the information needed to fabricate counterfeit cards as well as the legitimate cardholder’s full name and the city, state and ZIP of the Home Depot store from which the card was stolen

Apparently Home Depot is also offering credit card monitoring for free to affected customers so give them a shout.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/09/in-wake-of-confirmed-breach-at-home-depot-banks-see-spike-in-pin-debit-card-fraud/

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Heads up, don't make low content posts like this please.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just went downstairs and noticed this. I have absolutely no sane explanation for why what seems to be soot would be there, but I have to imagine this is something I should be concerned about. On a scale of 1 to turn the gas the hell off now how much do I need a new water heater?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

wolrah posted:

I just went downstairs and noticed this. I have absolutely no sane explanation for why what seems to be soot would be there, but I have to imagine this is something I should be concerned about. On a scale of 1 to turn the gas the hell off now how much do I need a new water heater?

Nothing in that area should ever really burn unless things were beyond hosed up. I'm guessing you got some dusty stuff in that area and the convection draft of the hot pipe is pushing air up that column maybe. Unless it smells burnt it's probably just weird dust buildup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dietcokefiend posted:

I'm guessing you got some dusty stuff in that area and the convection draft of the hot pipe is pushing air up that column maybe. Unless it smells burnt it's probably just weird dust buildup.

:aaaaa: :doh:

Yeah, doesn't smell like burnt plastic, that's for sure.

I can't really tell anything from smell myself, but the utility room had been been used for a :350: session today so I think the pieces are coming together. I feel dumb.