Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notmandatory
May 18, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That really expensive Nest smoke detector at least lets you silence it from your phone. I think it also has some special cooking features.

I have these and they have never gone off when I was cooking. I don't know that I have really filled the place with smoke, but considering the old smoke detector went off at least once a week, I consider it a huge improvement.

I also love being able to pull out my phone at any time and verify that my house is not on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
If I want to keep cooking with lots of rosemary without having annoying-rear end leaf needles in my food, a spice grinder is what I ought to be looking into, right?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You want cheesecloth.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I wonder if you can get a rosemary oil or essence too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Penzey's and Spice House both have cracked and powdered rosemary.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

If I want to keep cooking with lots of rosemary without having annoying-rear end leaf needles in my food, a spice grinder is what I ought to be looking into, right?

Just leave the needles on the stalk rather than taking them off. or if you have to take them off,just mince them into confetti until the texture isn't an issue...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Discovering that my cheesecloth is garbage, I was shopping for a new cheesecloth when I came across muslin.

Is there any application for cheesecloth that muslin isn't better at?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Steve Yun posted:

Discovering that my cheesecloth is garbage, I was shopping for a new cheesecloth when I came across muslin.

Is there any application for cheesecloth that muslin isn't better at?

Some say no: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2012/03/muslin-is-the-better-cheesecloth.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah I saw that but was wondering if goons had any experience with the two materials and whether I needed both or just one

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah that looks like a good one. Do it outside--even if you don't think you're making much smoke, you would be amazed how quickly torching inside will set off every smoke alarm in your house/apartment. Trust me.

So I didn't listen to this advice. That being said, it wasn't so much the smoke but the sheer amount of heat that was being generated. Was sweating and everything after torching my steak and pork.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize they had dropped the price of the Nest smoke detector so now I have one on the way. Will report back on how it does with kitchen smoke.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Arcturas posted:

You want cheesecloth.
Will that work in tomato sauces? I'd be concerned that the thickness would prevent the flavor from distributing well.

mod sassinator posted:

I wonder if you can get a rosemary oil or essence too.
I can get rosemary (and other herb) infused olive oil, but there are lots of times where I'd rather not add additional oil, just rosemary. This works really well if baking fish, though.

Anne Whateley posted:

Penzey's and Spice House both have cracked and powdered rosemary.
This is also an option for me, but anything powdered will lose essential oils much more quickly than needles. Cooking for just myself leaves me with spices for a long time, but I'm at the point where I'll probably just buy powdered from now on if I can't find a good grinder that isn't insanely expensive/huge.

mindphlux posted:

Just leave the needles on the stalk rather than taking them off. or if you have to take them off,just mince them into confetti until the texture isn't an issue...
I buy stalks if I know I'll be cooking a big amount of something, but they're too big to keep around otherwise. What I have now is a container of stripped needles from a farmer's market. I'd just grow it myself, but not even rosemary can survive the heat of my balcony and my roommate has cats.

I've tried mincing, but I can never seem to get them as fine as I'd like. And they have a tendency to go flying as a result of their brittleness.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

I buy stalks if I know I'll be cooking a big amount of something, but they're too big to keep around otherwise. What I have now is a container of stripped needles from a farmer's market. I'd just grow it myself, but not even rosemary can survive the heat of my balcony and my roommate has cats.

I've tried mincing, but I can never seem to get them as fine as I'd like. And they have a tendency to go flying as a result of their brittleness.

idk man, rosemary is super duper hearty. I've left it on my balcony unwatered in 100 degree atlanta sun for 2 weeks, put it through freezing winters, and worse. it's a survivor. also super cheap at any nursery or place that sells herbs.

Put it on a shelf in your window or something, or make a little shade for it on your balcony. dunno how to help you with dried rosemary problems - dried rosemary sucks, I just don't cook with it unless I have fresh on hand. same for basil, oregano, mint, ginger, idk. a few others. some herbs are ok dried (thyme comes to mind) but some are just not worth the effort outside of fresh.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Has anyone used the Costco three ply stainless set? Need a set for induction and they no longer sell the Cuisinart 12 piece.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wookums posted:

Has anyone used the Costco three ply stainless set? Need a set for induction and they no longer sell the Cuisinart 12 piece.

Is it this one?

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/1148...ews/reviews.htm

If so, it should be induction ready.

edit: or do you mean this one, which is misleadingly labelled "tri-ply" when really it's just a disc bottom: http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%99-1810-Stainless-Steel-13-piece-Cookware-Set.product.100025036.html

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 16, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think it's the deceptive one. Suppose I'll hunt Amazon for a set.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Any tri-ply set is going to be induction ready, and AFAIK any tri-ply set is going to be a good solid cookware set. I haven't heard of a bad one yet. All Clad is undoubtedly better but nobody regrets getting one of the cheaper sets either (Tramontina, Cuisinart, Calphalon)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

idk man, rosemary is super duper hearty. I've left it on my balcony unwatered in 100 degree atlanta sun for 2 weeks, put it through freezing winters, and worse. it's a survivor. also super cheap at any nursery or place that sells herbs.

Put it on a shelf in your window or something, or make a little shade for it on your balcony. dunno how to help you with dried rosemary problems - dried rosemary sucks, I just don't cook with it unless I have fresh on hand. same for basil, oregano, mint, ginger, idk. a few others. some herbs are ok dried (thyme comes to mind) but some are just not worth the effort outside of fresh.

Yeah, I dunno. I've tried growing herbs also on an Atlanta balcony for two years now and both times the summer sun just laid waste to everything living out there. It even killed succulents. I've done some experimenting with shades and big leafy plants, but they all just delayed the inevitable and I'm tired of putting time and money into it. I agree about those herbs, but as I've established, there's not much I can do to keep fresh anything around. Inside or out they'll be callously destroyed by uncaring forces of nature. If I only cooked from recipe, I'd just buy fresh stuff as needed from the farmer's market, but most of my cooking is planned at the last minute with whatever I have around.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Recently purchased an industrial wire shelving unit, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SG1FE6 , to organize my kitchen.
I have to say, this has to be one of the best kitchen purchase I have ever made. It's so nice to be able to see everything is, easily get to it, and do things like hang pots and pans from the shelves.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

.Z. posted:

Recently purchased an industrial wire shelving unit, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SG1FE6 , to organize my kitchen.
I have to say, this has to be one of the best kitchen purchase I have ever made. It's so nice to be able to see everything is, easily get to it, and do things like hang pots and pans from the shelves.

I had to get rid of mine because they're easy access jungle gyms for mice. Fixed my rodent problem but decided to go with wood shelves in case they come back.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Zenzirouj posted:

Just use a tea ball.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Doom Rooster posted:

Just use a tea ball.

Not a bad idea. I wonder if the mesh is big enough for marinara to circulate through...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you are making your own marinara from canned or fresh tomatoes, it will likely be more than watery enough at the beginning to circulate pretty freely. As it cooks down and thickens, you'll get less, but pretty much every tomato sauce still has some free water than can seep.

If you wanted to get super spergy about it though, you could strip the leaves off, and tie them together with butcher's twine, like a smaller version of this:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have thoughts on these doohickeys? My wife and I don't want to invest in a proper espresso machine, but we tried a "Maple Milk" in Vermont and want to try and duplicate it. It's basically the most ridiculous thing ever - steamed milk with maple syrup. I'm sure it's terrible for us but on a cold winter afternoon it sounds glorious.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm curious about those too--I hear a lot about putting coconut oil in coffee and found it tastes great but is a pain to mix. Wondering if one of those little frothers would mix stuff into coffee easily.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm curious whether a stick blender would do the job

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Those are frothers, not steamers. It won't be identical, but yes, you can heat up some milk and stick a $2 ikea frother in it, and you'll get frothy milk with whatever you want mixed in. It's my go-to for easy hot chocolate -- none of those little self-sealing bits of powder!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

They work ok but not great. You can get good results just heating milk and putting it in a sealing thermos and shaking the bajeezus out of it. Or, if you want super velvety foam, put it in a french press and ram the filter up and down.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have thoughts on these doohickeys? My wife and I don't want to invest in a proper espresso machine, but we tried a "Maple Milk" in Vermont and want to try and duplicate it. It's basically the most ridiculous thing ever - steamed milk with maple syrup. I'm sure it's terrible for us but on a cold winter afternoon it sounds glorious.

I got the cheap IKEA thing for my mom and she loves it, but it's not as good at frothing as something that uses steam/hot water for sure. It won't heat anything up so you have to heat up your milk separately. I wouldn't spend the amount that one costs for it but the cheap IKEA one works pretty nicely.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I discovered this neat kickstarter today. I thought some of you might like the idea.

It is a pot cover holder with spoon rest. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794797705/potcov?ref=category

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Hopper posted:

I discovered this neat kickstarter today. I thought some of you might like the idea.

It is a pot cover holder with spoon rest. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794797705/potcov?ref=category

I'm pretty sure this is one of those things that would get boughtgifted and then never ever used.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I know it takes up too much space for me to even consider it. It's not too overpriced though, considering. I imagine stuff like that sitting in Bed Bath and Beyond for $40.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
That contraption that sits on a counter is going to take up just about as much counter space as just a pot lid would.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
On a similar note to my earlier question, what's the most I should pay for a granite mortar and pestle? I seem to recall people saying that they could find them for ~10 bucks, but I'm having trouble finding anything under 25. Something about asian markets, I think?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zenzirouj posted:

On a similar note to my earlier question, what's the most I should pay for a granite mortar and pestle? I seem to recall people saying that they could find them for ~10 bucks, but I'm having trouble finding anything under 25. Something about asian markets, I think?

Asian markets, latin markets, or check your local charity shop/thrift store. People get those things as gifts and never use them, so you can usually find one that's completely untouched.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Asian markets, latin markets, or check your local charity shop/thrift store. People get those things as gifts and never use them, so you can usually find one that's completely untouched.

Same with marble rolling pins and, if you're lucky, cast iron. All sorts of cooking equipment, in fact.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Same with marble rolling pins and, if you're lucky, cast iron. All sorts of cooking equipment, in fact.

Any heavy poo poo that makes people go "gently caress it, I"m not lugging this through another move" you can get for pennies on the dollar.

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011
So I saw one of these while watching Mind of a Chef:

Breville's Fast Slow cooker. Basically a counter-top pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, etc. all in one. I've been meaning to get both a nice slow cooker and rice cooker, and also have always wanted a pressure cooker. This seems like the perfect all in one package. I know Breville makes quality products and this unit is ~$170 on Amazon. While perusing Amazon, I found more or less the same products of different brands with 4.5 star reviews (with hundreds of reviewers) that are alot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I...pressure+cooker

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KLFU02W?psc=1

Has anyone tried these things? Is Breville's product price just inflated because of the brand name? Even the cheapest one at ~90 bucks seems to have 4.5 stars..

P.S. - One pretty cool feature of these machines is that you can brown your meats right inside the cooker. Saves the hassle of having to brown my meat in a pan and transfer it over to the crock pot like I used to.

hoshkwon fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 25, 2014

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
So after babying the poo poo out of a set of ceramic knives for a few years, and keeping around a stamped lovely set of walmart knives for poo poo jobs, I finally managed to chip the tip off my chef's knife. Not even sure how I managed to do it, I always store them in the sheath in their own drawer, and always hand wash them, but anyway it happened.

I'm feeling fancy, and would like to gauge the opinions of high end cutlery.

How would you fine denizens of GWS rate this 7 piece set of Wusthof Classic Ikon?

Can I debone beef and quarter whole chickens with these? How often do they need sharpened? Obviously I'd need seek out a professional sharpening service, so I'm just trying to figure out maintenance cost here.

I'd consider other brands, I'm not a label whore, I just like to find that nice intersection of price and utility. So any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DrPain fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
We have a dedicated knife thread but the general consensus is that knife sets are generally a bad purchase, and knife blocks aren't particularly good for storing them either.

• Locked thread