Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Stability goes down the tubes at 82c/1550MHz, if I pop off the side panel to this case I'm pretty sure I could keep this stable around 1525MHz. It's absurd. Why are the stock clocks on these things so low? Did I get a miracle chip?

Once TSMC's 28nm got a bit more mature, you could get huge overclocks out of the salvage chips since they were clocked quite a bit lower but used the same PCBs. Getting 7850's to 1150 core(+34%) and 7950's to 1200 core(+50%) was very common once you gave them more voltage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Guni posted:

Is the 970/980 going to be a significant improvement over say a 290 at 1440p? Debating whether to pick a 290 up now or wait till they're out.

Do we know prices?

Rumors point towards "No", still, no harm in waiting two more weeks till we know for sure.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Rumors point towards "No", still, no harm in waiting two more weeks till we know for sure.

Thanks. I remember reading something in the last couple of pages that pointed to no it won't be a very big improvement. Definitely worth waiting a couple of weeks as you say though, just never know.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
I often hear that the high end cards are overkill for 1920x1080, but is that still the case if you're running a 120Hz monitor?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
No, since you can get results by rendering up to twice as fast.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Guni posted:

Is the 970/980 going to be a significant improvement over say a 290 at 1440p? Debating whether to pick a 290 up now or wait till they're out.

Do we know prices?

970? I think we can certainly say not a real improvement over a 290. However it'd be hard to say if a 980 would be or not. Depending on the reference clock it could be on par or better than a 780ti, which is better than a 290 by what I would probably call at least a significant amount. Now if the 980 starts around $500, I'd say at least wait and see

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm hoping a fool's hope that the 970 is at least on par with the R9 290 and isn't more than $400 at launch. If not I'll just get an R9 290 instead because I want something that will blow my 660ti out of the water and move the card over to my Skylake build next year if Skylake drops next year that is.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If you are being price-conscious then there's no reason to even worry about the 970/980. They're not going to be THAT much faster than anything currently out, and there's no way in hell they're going to be price-competitive with the used R290/290Xs you can still get for $300-$400.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, unless there's a really killer feature that I'll actually use there's no way in hell I'm going to buy three top-end video cards within the space of, what, a year-ish? It'd have to provide a >33% improvement in performance or a massive, massive power savings over my 780Ti for me to even consider ditching it - and I'd be doing a concurrent monitor and graphics card upgrade if that were the case, so I'd be staying ~more or less in the same spot as far as how games play on my system even if that were the state of things. Plus, so many devs these days are putting out non-AAA style games that focus less on pretty and more on fun, and that is definitely a consideration in my will-to-spend. If the 780Ti will get me through The Witcher 3 I'm probably going to skip this generation.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Will the 780 (NOT the 780Ti) get a price cut after the 980 and 970 are released? If so, maybe I'll just pick up one of those instead.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spasticColon posted:

I'm hoping a fool's hope that the 970 is at least on par with the R9 290 and isn't more than $400 at launch. If not I'll just get an R9 290 instead because I want something that will blow my 660ti out of the water and move the card over to my Skylake build next year if Skylake drops next year that is.

For the last couple generations, the best bang for buck has come on old-stock last generation cards being cleared out as their replacements come onto the market. Look for a post-mining R9 290 or maybe even a GTX 780 getting cheaper. If you're after pure bang for buck, the GTX 770 is trickling down to $280-ish, and will probably get cheaper. Get two!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

spasticColon posted:

Will the 780 (NOT the 780Ti) get a price cut after the 980 and 970 are released? If so, maybe I'll just pick up one of those instead.

Very unlikely. The best you can hope for is a clearance sale months down the road.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Hace posted:

Very unlikely. The best you can hope for is a clearance sale months down the road.

That is what I noticed with the 600-700 series transition. It tooks a few months, and it was just a few major retailers for short amounts of time.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

DrDork posted:

If you are being price-conscious then there's no reason to even worry about the 970/980. They're not going to be THAT much faster than anything currently out, and there's no way in hell they're going to be price-competitive with the used R290/290Xs you can still get for $300-$400.

Hm. Decisions, decisions. I have a voucher to a store, so getting a used card isn't an option. Secondly, I live in Australia where prices are ridiculous (I.e. $450) for a 290 or $520 for the cheapest 780. Think I might still wait for them to come out, just to see what the prices are.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Guni posted:

Hm. Decisions, decisions. I have a voucher to a store, so getting a used card isn't an option. Secondly, I live in Australia where prices are ridiculous (I.e. $450) for a 290 or $520 for the cheapest 780. Think I might still wait for them to come out, just to see what the prices are.
In that case maybe buying a used card off eBay would still end up bein cheaper than using your voucher to knock down a crazy-high priced card? Or do you get shafted with import duties?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

DrDork posted:

In that case maybe buying a used card off eBay would still end up bein cheaper than using your voucher to knock down a crazy-high priced card? Or do you get shafted with import duties?

Well there is shipping cost...

I would never suggest buying computer hardware from overseas. It would make it very hard to enforce the very strong legal rights Australian consumer protection law provides. It's ok for disposable stuff like books and dvds from amazon. But I wouldn't do it for big ticket stuff.

I say buy your graphics card from a local store, that way if it dies in two or three years it's a trivial issue to just pop back to the store and get a full refund.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

DrDork posted:

As Bude mentioned, shipping costs alone would eat away most of the cost difference. Also I have a $300 voucher, so it's even more unlikely I'd be able to make up the difference buying used, unfortunately.

I'm not opposed to dropping another $300 or so on top, but it's got to be a good price:performance compared with a $450 MSI 290. (I.e. I wouldn't pay another $200 for 10% performance)

Guni fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 12, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Guni posted:

As Bude mentioned, shipping costs alone would eat away most of the cost difference. Also I have a $300 voucher, so it's even more unlikely I'd be able to make up the difference buying used, unfortunately.

I'm not opposed to dropping another $300 or so on top, but it's got to be a good price:performance compared with a $450 MSI 290. (I.e. I wouldn't pay another $200 for 10% performance)

I have an inherent preference for Nvidia cards - My personal experience is that I've had far fewer driver issues, game release bugs, etc with the Nvidia Cards I've owned than with AMD, not to mention frame latency and poo poo; although I understand AMD has made great strides on these issues with the most recent generation. I also kinda like having PhysX and shadowplay.

That being said, you can't really debate the fact that AMD has a strong Price:Performance advantage at the moment. A 290X sits comfortably between a gtx780 and a 780ti, the 290 runs neck and neck, or maybe just below the 780. Take that into account when deciding what to buy.

Which store do you have a voucher for?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I have an inherent preference for Nvidia cards - My personal experience is that I've had far fewer driver issues, game release bugs, etc with the Nvidia Cards I've owned than with AMD, not to mention frame latency and poo poo; although I understand AMD has made great strides on these issues with the most recent generation. I also kinda like having PhysX and shadowplay.

That being said, you can't really debate the fact that AMD has a strong Price:Performance advantage at the moment. A 290X sits comfortably between a gtx780 and a 780ti, the 290 runs neck and neck, or maybe just below the 780. Take that into account when deciding what to buy.

For reference, I'm currently running a 7870 at 1080p

The Lord Bude posted:

For reference, I'm currently running a 7870 at 1080p and I'm pretty happy with the performance I get from that and I've never had any issues with drivers (first GPU). It's purely the fact that I'm getting a 1440p monitor that I'm looking to upgrade. The only real games I play are BF4 and a few sports games (plus maybe some upcoming games, e.g. Witcher 3, GTA V).

I imagine the 980 will debut at around the price that the 780 did?

Also, the voucher is to PCCG.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Guni posted:

For reference, I'm currently running a 7870 at 1080p

For reference, I'm currently running a 7870 at 1080p and I'm pretty happy with the performance I get from that and I've never had any issues with drivers (first GPU). It's purely the fact that I'm getting a 1440p monitor that I'm looking to upgrade. The only real games I play are BF4 and a few sports games (plus maybe some upcoming games, e.g. Witcher 3, GTA V).

I imagine the 980 will debut at around the price that the 780 did?

Also, the voucher is to PCCG.

I use a 780ti for 1440p. I would consider a 290 the minimum acceptable 1440p card at the moment - given that you're happy with a 7870 at 1080p - something I'd consider borderline inadequate; you may be happy with a 290, although a 290X would probably be better. A 780 definitely isn't worth the price premium under current PCCG pricing.

It's hard to say what price the 980 and 970 will debut at - it depends on how they perform relative to their nearest AMD neighbours, how much they want to screw you with the Australia Tax, etc. Graphics cards tend to be very overpriced at launch, especially in Australia. This time last year you would have been spending 700-800 dollars for a gtx780.

My advice is, if you don't desperately want to buy stuff right now, just wait and see what happens when the cards come out. You can always buy a 290X or even a clearance sale 780 a month from now when you have more information.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 12, 2014

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

If you pick the slowest option, shipping from Amazon is cheaper than PCCG at the moment which is absurd to think about logistically. My 780ti had ten dollar shipping, so 639USD total, which after using my CC company's conversion rates was still far far cheaper than the same card from PCCG (839AUD+20AUD shipping).

I mean I love PCCG for their range and next day shipping, but Amazon has some killer deals.

Edit: No ACL coverage though which is a bummer

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 12, 2014

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I use a 780ti for 1440p. I would consider a 290 the minimum acceptable 1440p card at the moment - given that you're happy with a 7870 at 1080p - something I'd consider borderline inadequate; you may be happy with a 290, although a 290X would probably be better. A 780 definitely isn't worth the price premium under current PCCG pricing.

It's hard to say what price the 980 and 970 will debut at - it depends on how they perform relative to their nearest AMD neighbours, how much they want to screw you with the Australia Tax, etc. Graphics cards tend to be very overpriced at launch, especially in Australia. This time last year you would have been spending 700-800 dollars for a gtx780.

My advice is, if you don't desperately want to buy stuff right now, just wait and see what happens when the cards come out. You can always buy a 290X or even a clearance sale 780 a month from now when you have more information.

I will definitely wait until the new GTX cards are out, purely for the fact AMD may (hopefully!) reduce prices, or, failing that, PCCG drops prices/has a sale.

I don't particularly care about ~MAX~ settings, but definitely want a smooth 60FPS when I'm playing - I note the 290 averages about 45PS at Ultra in BF4. So I imagine it will be pretty adequate at High (something I'm more than happy with).

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

The Lord Bude posted:

The difference between a 290 and 290X really isn't worth the extra cost. It's a margin of around 6%. Even now it's possible (albeit slim) to get a 290 that can flash the extra shaders to a 290X.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I was in a Microcenter the other day and a dad came in to upgrade his son's 770 2gb for something more. The sales dude looked like he was in another planet so my expectations were low. So the dad asked "can I just get the 4gb version" and I grimaced

But then the sales guy said "... No, it won't help at your resolution. At best, it will provide extremely marginal gains at 1440p or 4k, however the performance will suffer so badly you wouldn't notice. I wouldn't even sell you one. The next step up is the 780"

I was amused, I never heard advice like that in a store. But then the dad asked about 290's and the alarms started going off

"A 290 won't be an improvement over the 770. Your only choice is a 780"

:smithcloud: started so strong too

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Could have just been biased for nVidia. Which isn't necessarily a good thing, of course.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Microcenter raised a lot of AMD cards way above MSRP for the mining craze, and many still haven't come back down. They have a lot of great deals but their graphics cards are still a ripoff compared to Amazon/Newegg. The Open Box cards can be a decent price but half of the AMD ones are fried and no one tests them. They don't actually test any returns before putting them back on the shelf.

I go to Microcenter every other day as IT for my company, I feel like an interloper when a person is reading the box of a 1200 watt $400 PSU and I'm like hey chief, you don't need that thing, put it back before a salesperson sees you and tries to talk you into it.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
I'm only gaming in 1080p but I want to absolutely max out ultra everything if possible. I'm now running a 7950 and wonder what would be a worthwhile jump for it. Looks like a GTX 770 or a R9 280x is my best bet - is there any reason to go for nVidia vs AMD besides who is cheaper when I go looking or if I care about heat/noise? I also wonder if either of those cards is going to be bigger than the 7950; it's already "A goddamn flux capacitor" to my non-techie gf when she saw me pull that monolith from 2001 out and put it in.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I thought the 7950 was a 280. If so, you are going to be getting a small boost with those two cards (ie not worth it), are you bottlenecked somewhere else? Also probably wrong thread

Zero VGS posted:

Microcenter raised a lot of AMD cards way above MSRP for the mining craze, and many still haven't come back down. They have a lot of great deals but their graphics cards are still a ripoff compared to Amazon/Newegg. The Open Box cards can be a decent price but half of the AMD ones are fried and no one tests them. They don't actually test any returns before putting them back on the shelf.

I go to Microcenter every other day as IT for my company, I feel like an interloper when a person is reading the box of a 1200 watt $400 PSU and I'm like hey chief, you don't need that thing, put it back before a salesperson sees you and tries to talk you into it.

Yeah I mean, typically I hear just bad advice period there or anywhere so it was refreshing at first, then not.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

gently caress them posted:

I'm only gaming in 1080p but I want to absolutely max out ultra everything if possible. I'm now running a 7950 and wonder what would be a worthwhile jump for it. Looks like a GTX 770 or a R9 280x is my best bet - is there any reason to go for nVidia vs AMD besides who is cheaper when I go looking or if I care about heat/noise? I also wonder if either of those cards is going to be bigger than the 7950; it's already "A goddamn flux capacitor" to my non-techie gf when she saw me pull that monolith from 2001 out and put it in.

You realize that these are not significant upgrades, right? A 280X is a 7970. Literally the same silicon. You wouldn't spend money to upgrade to a 7970 from a 7950, would you? And a 770 is a 680 with the power target turned up and an overclock.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

gently caress them posted:

What game are you experiencing issues in? A 7950 should be very comfortable at 1080p. You may have a bottleneck elsewhere.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Factory Factory posted:

You realize that these are not significant upgrades, right? A 280X is a 7970. Literally the same silicon. You wouldn't spend money to upgrade to a 7970 from a 7950, would you? And a 770 is a 680 with the power target turned up and an overclock.

So the only worthwhile upgrade from here would be a R9 290 or a GTX 780. Fuuuuuuuck.

Also god drat it's easy to fall out of the loop with this stuff.

Twerk from Home posted:

What game are you experiencing issues in? A 7950 should be very comfortable at 1080p. You may have a bottleneck elsewhere.

I had mixed timing memory. Watchdogs would go OOM so I got another 8gb (total 16) and I thought I had gotten the timing lined up. I had neglected to see the actual speed of the ram. I just got a 2x8gb pair and everything is noticably faster, even booting. :downs:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Isn't there like a 128kbit patch to fix Watch_Doge since it runs like 3 simultaneous textures or some other garbage?
Test it with something else before deciding to upgrade or not, since I've found a 280x/7970 to be more than enough for most everything maxed out at 1080p.

edit: If you're running an older AMD CPU or stock C2Q or something that would certainly add a bottleneck.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 12, 2014

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Twerk from Home posted:

I would like to play games at 1080p, 60fps and ultra settings (incl. high AA+AF), with a lot of recent games my GTX 670 wasn't enough for that. I think even at 1080p high end cards aren't entirely unreasonable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I would like to play games at 1080p, 60fps and ultra settings (incl. high AA+AF), with a lot of recent games my GTX 670 wasn't enough for that. I think even at 1080p high end cards aren't entirely unreasonable.

As I understand it, the 7950 with a moderate overclock is a closer equivalent to a GTX 770 or 680. It's still a bad position to upgrade from unless you can sell the 7950 to a sucker for more than its worth and trade up to a R9-290.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Which ones of the R-cards is the HD7870's equal again?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Geemer posted:

Which ones of the R-cards is the HD7870's equal again?

R9-270 = 7850
R9-270X = 7870
R9-280 = 7950
R9-280X = 7970

Way to go with the rebrands, AMD.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Nah, not at all. The 270 is a 270X clocked lower (900 vs 1000) so it only needs one PCIe power connector.

The 265 is equivalent to the 7850.

They're not 100% straight rebrands - the 265, 270 and 270X have 1400MHz RAM vs the 1200MHz on the 78xx series.
So, they all have faster RAM, but in terms of core clocks:
The 265 has a 40MHz higher base clock than a 7850 and also boosts to 65MHz higher overall.
The 270 is like a 7870 but with a 25MHz lower base clock and a 50MHz lower boost clock.
The 270X has 75MHz higher base clock than a 7870, and a 75MHz higher boost clock.

Of course, in reality, a lot of people bought non-reference cards that could eliminate these clock differences anyway.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 12, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Nah, not at all. The 270 is a 270X clocked lower so it only needs one PCIe power connector.

The 265 is equivalent to the 7850.

Wow, I lost track of this in the mess, thanks for correcting me. I got confused because all 4 of them are the same GPU, Pitcairn.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7503/the-amd-radeon-r9-270x-270-review-feat-asus-his

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks guys, it's nice to know where I'm actually standing when I decide to go look for upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007
My GTX 570 was pretty comfortable gaming at 1080p, but once I got a 1440p monitor I've had to drop some settings down. It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade once the GTX 900s come out right?