Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
The parks in general are dead zones right now. My office overlooks the Sea World parking lot and aside from the handicap area filling up and the idiots who pay for premium parking if there are two to three rows full by noon it is a miracle. We took the day off tomorrow in fact and will be at Sea World because gently caress crowds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I was at Universal on Monday and the new Harry Potter ride that people were waiting hours for in August had a 20 minute wait. All the parks are dead right now and it is awesome.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Universal's crowds dry up come school year. Disney has more of a year round appeal.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

They officially announced the death of the Maelstrom today. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/09/frozen-attraction-coming-to-epcot/

As expected, people are losing it. I can only hope they give it a ceremonial viking funeral and set it on fire while pushing it out to the sea.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm going to miss Maelstrom by like 2 weeks. Kinda sucks because it's one of few things I remember from Epcot when I went in middle school.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'm going to miss the Maelstrom. Ah well.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Well that's disappointing. I liked Epcot being a bit less Disney.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm really not happy with this at all. Maelstrom was one of my favorites. I liked that it was Norwegian folklore. I love Frozen as much as the average 6 year old girl, but I don't think Epcot is the place for a movie based ride. I don't blame Norway for not wanting to foot the bill for it. The movie isn't even IN Norway. Arendelle is not a real place.

And I'm going to miss the closing by 6 days. It closes Oct 5 and I roll up Oct 11. Super bummed.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
the parks are empty right now, right? does that mean hotels are cheap?

soooo say i wanted to take a trip THIS MONTH, would it be cheap?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
On the local news around here of it was not well received at all. Even the tourists they approached to interview were WTF Disney? Fine by me though, the wife and I officially boycotted the Norway pavillion now so it saves us one stop when we go to Epcot. Screw frozen ten thousand times to the deepest level of hell.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

the parks are empty right now, right? does that mean hotels are cheap?

soooo say i wanted to take a trip THIS MONTH, would it be cheap?

A room at All Star Sports plus 5 day base tickets for Sept 15 - 19 would be just over $1100.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The parks are so dead. I did pretty much all of MK in about six hours.

BBS, your coord was trying to send me to storybook circus when I asked if you were around hah.

I'm sad to see Maelstrom go but it was truly "so bad it's good". It was hokey and lame and I loved every second of it, but its time had come. The downtown is well over a year - not supposed to reopen until 2016 which leads me to believe they're not just going to slap Olaf on top of a polar bear and call it a day.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I cannot stand Frozen and this honestly makes me hate it even more. We're heading to the not scary halloween sunday after next, I'll make sure to hit epcot Monday to ride it one last time. It's not the end of the world or anything but Maelstrom was always a fun, goofy ride and I hate to be one of those dudes but Frozen doesn't belong in the world pavilion. I guess Epcot isn't making money compared to the other parks and this will sure as poo poo get people lined up for hours and into the park but I just wish they'd try and actually fix what's wrong with epcot (future world is a complete dud except for the rides) rather than just throwing Frozen at it.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I'm surprised I'm not more upset about this than I am. I had an absolute shitfit over El Rio Del Tiempo. Maybe I'm just numb.

I'm not crazy about Frozen being horked into the World Showcase, but Maelstrom either needed a major refurb or a Viking funeral. Looks like they opted for the latter. As long as they don't halfass it, whatever. At least my kids will be happy.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also the trip to Sea World was great. We walked into everything with no lines. We spent at least half an hour in the penguin exhibit and it was dead enough that we had the ear of a trainer who was out and about. He called over a penguin, how the hell he recognized it much less the penguin who jumped off the little rock thing and swam over was beyond us.

This is the little guy after he called him over making his way to the water..

and this is him torpedoing over to the trainer.

We were able to get an up front interaction with the penguin which was really cool because my wife loves penguins. This one in particular has a track record of jumping into places he should not go.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I cannot stand Frozen and this honestly makes me hate it even more.

Amen brother...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
What is people's beef with Frozen? It wasn't as good as people said it was but it's a pretty good Disney movie. Are people just grumpy about anything that messes with their 20 year old Epcot memories?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

My personal issue is that I don't think a Frozen ride belongs in The World Showcase. Now, if they wanted to build this at Hollywood Studios, I'd be thrilled.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JoshTheStampede posted:

What is people's beef with Frozen? It wasn't as good as people said it was but it's a pretty good Disney movie. Are people just grumpy about anything that messes with their 20 year old Epcot memories?

Not everyone enjoys having frozen rammed down their throats the way Disney is approaching it. For some of us having to hear the song(s) over and over like a broken record then everything around you has some tie-in to the movie, it's just too much. What killed it for me was for months every weekend when the family got together they played the stupid movie before and after dinner then listening to the five nieces and nephews repeating every line back and singing along.. I finally told my wife I was going to stay home else I would have to either show up at her sister's house heavily sedated and drunk or just hang myself in the bathroom. I was hoping they would contain it to one park but Epcot is getting boned now with the ride and it does not belong there. They already invaded MK, let them have that.

Braksgirl posted:

My personal issue is that I don't think a Frozen ride belongs in The World Showcase. Now, if they wanted to build this at Hollywood Studios, I'd be thrilled.

They announced that it is being extended at MK and over the holidays Elsa or whoever the stupid queen is will be transforming the f*ing castle into some frozen nightmare.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My kids like Frozen but for them it didn't have the staying power of some of the other Disney Movies. I've seen Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast way way way more than Frozen. They enjoy the movie, but when I ask them what I want to watch, it's never Frozen.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

JoshTheStampede posted:

My personal beef with Frozen is the same as demonR6- total unrelenting over-exposure. It had this weird demographic that reminded me of bronies proclaiming it was the second coming of Walt and the best thing disney has ever made. My wife and I sat down and really wanted to give it a fair shake but after 30 minutes she asked me to turn it off. Different stokes and all that. I don't think it's bad by any measure but it wasn't my cup of tea and the total obsession with it now almost seems weird. Disney's taking that ball and running though and while Maelstrom/Norway needed a reboot, I just don't know if people are going to be so absolutely batshit over Frozen five years from now.

Like Braksgirl said- if it were at MK or the studios, I'd be totally fine with it. It absolutely does not belong in Epcot- fantasy and (film) magic are the domains of the other parks. While Epcot embraces mythology and legend, the world showcase is about our world. Not one some writers shat out a couple of years ago.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

I'm going to buck the trend and say I'm excited about the Frozen ride.

It's not perfect. It's not ideal. But Epcot REALLY needs some help. World Showcase, while cool was/is boring as poo poo to a great many kids. Kim Possible/Agent P helped with that. The Frozen ride will as well. Epcot has buildings and restaurants that are empty and shut down (most of the time. I guess Wonders of Life is open sometimes for events). Living Seas (or whatever it's called) needs a massive refurb. Journey into Imagination has nobody riding it, and their activity room afterwards needs to be fixed up. World of Energy needs to be updated. There's a ton of work that needs to be done in that park. So it's a start. It might not be one everyone is happy about. But it's something.

Honestly, with almost all the countries not supporting their pavilions anymore, Disney should Disney up the whole loving thing.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm going to miss the giant mural at the loading area for Maelstrom. Think they'll also try adding Big Hero Six to Japan,after this news?

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 13, 2014

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

demonR6 posted:

They announced that it is being extended at MK and over the holidays Elsa or whoever the stupid queen is will be transforming the f*ing castle into some frozen nightmare.

I hope it doesn't become another birthday cake castle. :( That thing was awful.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Braksgirl posted:

They showed concept art on the local news and it just looks like a similar effect like they already use on the castle with light and laser imagery. I would boycott MK for the duration if they drape the castle with frozen garbage. Walt's cryogenic head is probably spinning like a top in its special chamber right now.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Wow I'm mad about Maelstrom closing. Gotta jump on disboards or something.

Somehow I'm not surprised though, WDW management has obviously wanted to destroy the Norway pavilion awesomeness ever since they took out the brilliant Norwegian food version of Akershus and turned it into a princess luncheon with herring.

Why you gotta stick it to a single country over and over Disney?!?!?!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh you know what is going to happen to the gift shop at the exit of the ride? Goodbye Helly Hansen.. hello frozen hell.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's cool how they always use the "Disneyland is never really complete" quote from Walt every time they do something even the least bit "controversial"

The only way I see this Frozen thing working out in Norway is if they make it like the Three Caballeros ride (or more like Rio del Tiempo maybe). Either way it's stupid and takes away from what the World Showcase is all about. I don't think Princesses and things like that should be in the WS unless they are based of real people or something.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Braksgirl posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just going to be the usual Christmas lights but with Elsa doing the lighting instead of the Fairy Godmother.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Norway is one of my favorite parts of WS, but for some reason I'm not too upset about the news. I really like Maelstrom, but at the same time, I was never overly attached to it.

If the pavilions have any function as a commercial for the countries they represent to encourage tourism, then I would think relating Frozen to Norway would have a better chance at getting someone to go see Norway than a very aged dark ride talking about vikings, trolls and oil rigs.

I'm more aggravated with the fact that what makes World Showcase the best thing in Disney is that it's an escape within an escape. It's the least Disney thing about the park, and simultaneously, somehow the most attractive part of it. I wish they could enhance Epcot with just throwing Frozen at it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
And I completely forgot that I am staying at French Quarter resort for two nights next weekend. I guess I can get one last Maelstrom ride before Disney let's it go.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Cais posted:

The parks are so dead. I did pretty much all of MK in about six hours.

BBS, your coord was trying to send me to storybook circus when I asked if you were around hah.

I'm sad to see Maelstrom go but it was truly "so bad it's good". It was hokey and lame and I loved every second of it, but its time had come. The downtown is well over a year - not supposed to reopen until 2016 which leads me to believe they're not just going to slap Olaf on top of a polar bear and call it a day.

Hahaha, it was confusing. I was off that day (was actually at Hollywood Studios riding Tower of Terror to my hearts content with some friends in town) I was at MK the next day for the Halloween party and my cooirdinator was like "Someone was looking for you" and I was like "Christ, probably someone on SA" (Actual thought that ran through my head)

Speaking of the Halloween party. That poo poo is BOSS.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I just don't know if people are going to be so absolutely batshit over Frozen five years from now.

At least Frozen is still hot right now. Just a reminder that they're still building Avatarland at Animal Kingdom. Who could possibly care about that now, much less five years from now? It's a multi-million dollar expansion solely for James Cameron to enjoy.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
The avatar thing is really weird- I know there are more movies coming and the first one made a ton of money but it's not something I would have figured to base a large section of a disney park on but if it's done right, it'll be a pretty cool thing to see. I haven't seen the movie since it was in theaters but I recall the flora/fauna much more vividly than the characters/plot.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

Fish Of Doom posted:

At least Frozen is still hot right now. Just a reminder that they're still building Avatarland at Animal Kingdom. Who could possibly care about that now, much less five years from now? It's a multi-million dollar expansion solely for James Cameron to enjoy.

My understanding is that there's two more Avatar movies in the works, and that Avatar land's opening is going to coincide with one of them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm not a huge fan of throwing then-hot (well, now-hot) lays on rides that have been around for a real long time and still attract visitors. Or you know, that dumb Avatar land thing. As much as I think the idea of Starwars land is idiotic, at least those movies are well known and people can recognize a light saber and the word "jedi" from a million miles away. I don't know anybody that even knows what a navi is (or how to spell it) anymore. There's a couple more movies, sure, but social casual interest in it is dead as hell and it wasn't even released a decade ago. More people start talking about Avatar: The Last Airbender when I mention Avatar (which is rarely because it's not relevant at all) than even remember the blue rabbit kitty alien people existed.

I figure the Frozen ride will see about a bazillion people until Disney releases the next thing that the weird Disney obsessed moms buy their kids like crazy and in 10 years nobody will give a poo poo it exists and stuff like that just feels like a cheap, quick moneygrab that lacks the usual Disney effort? I dunno how to explain it without being weird. It's something Six Flags would do by rebranding a rollercoaster briefly then slapping on some new paint and declaring it's the new cool movie thing. Disney's supposed to be cool and good at making neat stuff that doesn't necessarily blow it's load endlessly about the most recent movie. If you didn't have anything Frozen, by all means throw in some Frozen stuff. But goddamn, it's everywhere and I'm glad my trip got canceled because just seeing Frozen all over everything gets kind of tiring when you aren't boners about the movie.

If Maelstrom was dead most of the time I wouldn't give a poo poo. By all means, re-make it or whatever. But it's like, the only good ride in world showcase. And now it's gonna be some dumb frozen thing that's going to have to get rehashed again in a few years when nobody cares about it. It just seems like this massive waste.

Doronin posted:

Norway is one of my favorite parts of WS, but for some reason I'm not too upset about the news. I really like Maelstrom, but at the same time, I was never overly attached to it.

If the pavilions have any function as a commercial for the countries they represent to encourage tourism, then I would think relating Frozen to Norway would have a better chance at getting someone to go see Norway than a very aged dark ride talking about vikings, trolls and oil rigs.

I'm more aggravated with the fact that what makes World Showcase the best thing in Disney is that it's an escape within an escape. It's the least Disney thing about the park, and simultaneously, somehow the most attractive part of it. I wish they could enhance Epcot with just throwing Frozen at it.

This too. And a couple other bits. There's very little education and ingenuity left to Epcot compared to when it opened. It was super smart for a while there. I'd like to see that happen more instead of throwing in movie characters or just closing pavilions. Epcot needs work but now both world showcase rides are getting boned by unnecessary disney characters thrown in there. Like, yes it's Disney but sometimes it's nice to see what Disney can do without pouring Mickey and Co constantly over my face like some sort of weird cartoon bukkake. There's lots of little areas in California that don't have a single thing to do with a specific Disney character. It's a really nice break from you know, Fantasyland (which is great, but sometimes you want a change).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
You really think they'll just rebrand it away from Frozen in a few years? They haven't rebranded Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast stuff and those movies are 25 years old.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Not to mention that Frozen has monetarily surpassed literally everything Disney has ever done.

I understand that you guys are annoyed by saturation (I have a seven year old daughter so I get it, really) but seriously. They saturated the hell out of Lion King and Frozen's surpassed even that.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This too. And a couple other bits. There's very little education and ingenuity left to Epcot compared to when it opened. It was super smart for a while there. I'd like to see that happen more instead of throwing in movie characters or just closing pavilions. Epcot needs work but now both world showcase rides are getting boned by unnecessary disney characters thrown in there. Like, yes it's Disney but sometimes it's nice to see what Disney can do without pouring Mickey and Co constantly over my face like some sort of weird cartoon bukkake. There's lots of little areas in California that don't have a single thing to do with a specific Disney character. It's a really nice break from you know, Fantasyland (which is great, but sometimes you want a change).

That's what I miss most. In the 80s and early-90s, there were all sorts of interesting educational exhibits that were interactive. I forget what it was called at the time, but one of the Future World areas had concept future cars, the robot butler (which is in a museum case at MGM I think) and other things, like Body Wars, or whatever it was called. Now they have a ton of unused real estate (ie: Odyssey restaurant and Body Wars), and instead of enriching existing space, they're just giving Norway an un-needed makeover.

Frozen is the single biggest money-maker Disney has ever had by a large margin, so I would have thought that it would have been worth a larger investment than simply re-doing Maelstrom. With only a year of downtime, that would indicate that they aren't doing any major structural changes.

Roar posted:

Not to mention that Frozen has monetarily surpassed literally everything Disney has ever done.

I understand that you guys are annoyed by saturation (I have a seven year old daughter so I get it, really) but seriously. They saturated the hell out of Lion King and Frozen's surpassed even that.

I really believe that at some point, Frozen is going to carry a strong permanent presence at more than one park. MGM has a shitload of space to use up, so a Frozen themed show similar to Beauty and the Beast would make too much sense, and they're already doing a scaled down parade version of it in that park.

Beauty and the Beast is one of the 'younger' properties of the Disney renaissance of the 90s, and it has the big stage show (MGM), Be Our Guest (MK) and Belle makes appearances in Epcot. Frozen might find its way into all four parks eventually. I mean, Frozen has animals, too, right?

EDIT: My wife just informed me that the Frozen sing-a-long in MGM is staying. So now it's staying in two parks for good.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

The Sing-along's been extended indefinitely and it's probably going to wind up moving into the American Idol theater where there's more space and the line of people waiting to get in won't be in the way of the Christmas lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mearn posted:

The Sing-along's been extended indefinitely and it's probably going to wind up moving into the American Idol theater where there's more space and the line of people waiting to get in won't be in the way of the Christmas lights.

The theater they were using for frozeshit is also used for special events and group meetings. Disney has crapped on a few of these already angering the companies that have paid assloads of money to have an event at the location where frozeshit is at. One company was promised an elaborate corporate event at said theater only to be bumped to the AI theater and none if what they were promised was delivered. This made said company very very upset with Disney. Now AI is gone so the Imagineers can patch together something there and not piss off everyone who has events booked for the remainder of the year at that venue.