Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Radbot posted:

Sorry you talk to people underwater, I guess. Here's one from my inbox:

Good enough for me, even if it's coming from Dr. face Lee

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Google Voice and use it for everything. But that's a transcription from my inbox, and about 60% of them are about that garbled. Some are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FogHelmut posted:

It's a lot better than it used to be. Still large errors, but you get the gist of the message.

Yeah, I can almost always get the gist of a voicemail from the transcription.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I wouldn't say accurate GV transcriptions are the norm.

This is my optometrist.

Did they get your rear end attached?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I wouldn't say accurate GV transcriptions are the norm.

This is my optometrist.

Did they attach an rear end?

EDIT: drat

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
They agawam'ed my rear end right back on so all is good.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I just got a notice that my Hangouts and Voice were merging and it looks like it went through all the way correctly this time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I can't wait for mine to go through so I can switch off of cyanogenmod. The primary reason I'm tethered to this ROM is for Voice+ which let me send texts through hangouts.

I really want to try an android L preview ROM.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I'm looking for a to-do list app with the functions that were available on the defunct Astrid Tasks. Mainly, the ability to set repeating tasks with more than just the usual weekly, monthly, daily options. For example a repeating task due Mondays and Thursdays every two weeks. Bonus points if you can set notifications so they can't be dismissed unless you check them off as done. Anyone know an app like this?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been checking my Hangouts like 10 times a day for my message that it's time to integrate.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

FogHelmut posted:

I've been checking my Hangouts like 10 times a day for my message that it's time to integrate.

Yeah, it's driving me nuts. We're so close to Voice integration I can taste it.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Any recommendations for a video player with network support (samba or ftp would be great)? Dice player seems to have been abandoned (or just broken on cyanogenmod since a few weeks back).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So it looks like Google is back to rolling out GV/Hangouts, just got mine. It's really neat and all but it seems to be missing a critical feature or I'm missing something... You can't start a conversation with your native number.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zom Aur posted:

Any recommendations for a video player with network support (samba or ftp would be great)? Dice player seems to have been abandoned (or just broken on cyanogenmod since a few weeks back).

I've been using MXPlayer for years. I don't know if it does non-wifi playback, but I would imagine so. I just browse to something on my PC with EStrong's and MXPlayer plays whatever it is just fine.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So it looks like Google is back to rolling out GV/Hangouts, just got mine. It's really neat and all but it seems to be missing a critical feature or I'm missing something... You can't start a conversation with your native number.

Are you talking about texts.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are you talking about texts.

Yes. If you choose a contact to start an SMS thread with it defaults to sending via GV and there is no option to send from your native number.

I can continue with current SMS threads that are happening via my native number but not make new ones.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes. If you choose a contact to start an SMS thread with it defaults to sending via GV and there is no option to send from your native number.

I can continue with current SMS threads that are happening via my native number but not make new ones.

There's no way to quickly differentiate on a per-hangout basis, but you can go into Hangout's SMS settings, and there's a "send SMS from" option you can configure. Default is "smart reply" which is the behavior you're seeing. Instead you can configure it to send all messages from either your carrier number or your google voice number.

It definitely needs to be more front and center and be toggled per hangout, I agree.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

api call girl posted:

There's no way to quickly differentiate on a per-hangout basis, but you can go into Hangout's SMS settings, and there's a "send SMS from" option you can configure. Default is "smart reply" which is the behavior you're seeing. Instead you can configure it to send all messages from either your carrier number or your google voice number.

It definitely needs to be more front and center and be toggled per hangout, I agree.

Thanks for the heads up, definitely missed that option. Clunky but at least its something.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

api call girl posted:

Thanks for this. I honestly cannot believe they merged it, fuckin a that was a long time to wait.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
For folks who are getting the Hangouts integration, is there a web site you can use for reading/sending texts? I use the Voice site for that pretty regularly and I'm really hoping there's something equivalent after the migration.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The text bar at the bottom of the hangout tells you which number it's sending SMS from, at least. So if they make a long press on that let you toggle sources that'd probably be ideal.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

kri kri posted:

Thanks for this. I honestly cannot believe they merged it, fuckin a that was a long time to wait.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/6023920?p=voice_sms&rd=1

"You can send text messages with your Google Voice account through Hangouts in Gmail and on Android devices."

It looks like it also works in the hangouts chrome extension. I now have a SMS option on the top bar.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

kri kri posted:

"You can send text messages with your Google Voice account through Hangouts in Gmail and on Android devices."

It looks like it also works in the hangouts chrome extension. I now have a SMS option on the top bar.

Yep! Unfortunately the desktop client appears to make a separate conversation for each number you message for a single contact. The mobile client does keep messages from a contact to your different numbers in a single conversation, though.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kreeblah posted:

For folks who are getting the Hangouts integration, is there a web site you can use for reading/sending texts? I use the Voice site for that pretty regularly and I'm really hoping there's something equivalent after the migration.

Hangouts in Gmail or the Chrome Hangouts extension is how you do Google Voice SMS after you are merged.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Hangouts in Gmail or the Chrome Hangouts extension is how you do Google Voice SMS after you are merged.

Do I need these weird routing numbers I had to add the contacts to get hangouts SMS working before this merger?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

kri kri posted:

we finally made it folks

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

kri kri posted:

Do I need these weird routing numbers I had to add the contacts to get hangouts SMS working before this merger?

No.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

we finally made it folks

Seems kinda anticlimactic. :v:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to get back the GV number I ported away to ring.to?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I got my invite for GV-Hangouts too. Still can't receive MMS :saddowns:

My dad loves to group text from his iPhone, and I never get any of them. I guess it's not a step back in that respect. :unsmith:

I'm so glad I'm finally free from that goddamn Google Voice app!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mogomra posted:

I got my invite for GV-Hangouts too. Still can't receive MMS :saddowns:

My dad loves to group text from his iPhone, and I never get any of them. I guess it's not a step back in that respect. :unsmith:

I'm so glad I'm finally free from that goddamn Google Voice app!

Yeah, I'm not receiving MMS either.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm looking forward to the merger if only so I can uninstall Voice and use Hangouts to check the one voicemail I get a month.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

For years the Voice page had my main number listed as my GV number also. I go and check it today and apparently the number has changed? Is this a common thing? Have I been confused all these years? Should I contact Google about it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

GV - Hangouts integration has made it so that Moto Assist doesn't read incoming texts while driving. :(

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

XIII posted:

I'm looking forward to the merger if only so I can uninstall Voice and use Hangouts to check the one voicemail I get a month.

I'm pretty sure you still need the Google Voice application installed if you want to make regular calls through GV from your phone's dialer.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mogomra posted:

I'm pretty sure you still need the Google Voice application installed if you want to make regular calls through GV from your phone's dialer.

I don't. I only use Voice for visual voicemail.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

GV - Hangouts integration has made it so that Moto Assist doesn't read incoming texts while driving. :(

I was kinda hoping the integration would make it work with my Google Voice number.

Not receiving MMS here either. I can send MMS.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Being able to send text messages from the desktop Hangouts Chrome app via GV and have it sync in Hangouts on my phone is a thing of a beauty :allears:.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I was kinda hoping the integration would make it work with my Google Voice number.

Not receiving MMS here either. I can send MMS.

That worked before if you set Hangouts as your default SMS app.

Or, at least I think it did... I don't get many texts, and there's still a fee ppl who send texts to my carrier-supplied number.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 13, 2014

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
The updates to Hangouts seems to have broken its TeslaUnread support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Speaking of hangouts, what's the best app to have texts pop up so I don't have to open the app? I've tried Pop Up SMS, but I you can't delete texts from it thanks to 4.4.

Also, it seems you can't turn off SMS notifications but keep hangout notifications? It's either all or nothing right? I don't want Pop Up and Hangouts telling me I have a text, but I also want to know when I get a message from hangouts.

• Locked thread