Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

anthonypants posted:

what does /etc/hostname have in it, or does that exist

what distro are you using

/etc/hostname doesn't exist. this is centos 6.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

these instructions should be pretty easy to follow

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

prefect posted:

try "man hostname" for some extra insight if you like

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
what would stop me from testing an integer for being set to infinity in obj-c? for some reason it's not working

code:
int infinity = INFINITY;

if(infinity == INFINITY){

NSLog(@"this is infinity");

}

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

possibly the same thing that causes nan comparisons to fail

also typically int INFINITY isnt a thing, INFINITY is only floating-point but idk wtf objc does with their numerics

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
ah, you're right. other places where i have stuff set to infinity are floats. i still have lots of integers set to infinity, and it seems to work correctly, but i never have tested if they are set to infinity until now

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i'm going to just update those ints set to infinity sometimes to floats. i was going to test for INT_MAX, but i'm afraid i've been just assuming that those int values were infinity and stayed that way, but were really just a big number

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a friend who recently had her motherboard blow up (because her idiot friends made her a lovely ricer PC) and I was just wondering how powerful a PC do you actually need for programming? I was under the impression that you could just used any lovely thing for programming classes.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

an mba, op

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a surface pro 3 so you can visual studio

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I'm having a problem with a computers

it's a mac

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

guess its time to a buy a new one

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

cmykjester posted:

I have a friend who recently had her motherboard blow up (because her idiot friends made her a lovely ricer PC) and I was just wondering how powerful a PC do you actually need for programming? I was under the impression that you could just used any lovely thing for programming classes.

development environments can be big applications, although even a decent laptop should be okay. Actually compiling large projects can be something where you want a nice fast computer, otherwise it's mostly nice but not necessary.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

cmykjester posted:

it depends on what you are programming but if the answer is not "data mining" or "3d games" you can literally use anything

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

cmykjester posted:

any decent laptop or whatever works p ok. BUT more importantly u need 2 monitors at least

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
can you bring a macbook in to an apple store and get them to replace the trackpad (or touchpad; whatever it's called)?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prefect posted:

can you bring a macbook in to an apple store and get them to replace the trackpad (or touchpad; whatever it's called)?

yeah but they can never give a good one

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

1/5

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

0.5/5

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

apple's market share in laptops

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

0/5

Nintendo Kid posted:

apple's market share in laptops

4.5/5

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i'm trying to find that gif animation of that guy talking on a cell phone which morphs into a screen that he crams his face into, all the while getting fatter and fatter

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

the modem router that virgin supplied me with is a pos, are there any recommendations for a real router so i can just let this thing do modem duty?

also my speakers buzz when gifs are on the screen whats up with that?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Awia posted:

the modem router that virgin supplied me with is a pos, are there any recommendations for a real router so i can just let this thing do modem duty?

AC66U, AC68U, AC87U

the other thing is probably bad shielding, hopefully on your speaker/monitor cables. if it's not that then it's bad shielding on your motherboard and lol

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 14, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Awia posted:

you're sound card and maybe video card are pieces of poo poo

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

if i have headphones plugged in the front panel they buzz in time with my usb hard drive spinning, its p lols

but the back panel speakers buzz too, i think its the speakers tbh on that front

anthonypants posted:

AC66U, AC68U, AC87U

thank you very much

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

sometimes i put my computer into sleep mode and it will wake itself up after anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes

it's annoying

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

MiniFoo posted:

sometimes i put my computer into sleep mode and it will wake itself up after anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes

it's annoying

mine used to do this too, turned out it was my brother sending wake on lan packets from a mobile app

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

p sure i have wake-on-lan turned off in my bios though

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
do you leave a gamepad or other controller plugged in

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Awia posted:

if i have headphones plugged in the front panel they buzz in time with my usb hard drive spinning, its p lols

but the back panel speakers buzz too, i think its the speakers tbh on that front

i really want one of these even though it's probably stupidly overpriced. cheaper usb dacs seem like a waste of time to me even though electrically they are probably the same. some audiophile habits die hard i guess :tinfoil:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

MiniFoo posted:

it's annoying

some usb device might be waking the computer. there might be bios option to fix that or you can disable devices from waking the pc through windows.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

yeah now that i think about it, my 360 controller has some deadzone issues on one of its analog sticks, maybe that's it (i leave it plugged in all the time)

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

i really want one of these even though it's probably stupidly overpriced. cheaper usb dacs seem like a waste of time to me even though electrically they are probably the same. some audiophile habits die hard i guess :tinfoil:

AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2: Now With Even Better Sound, Just as Easy to Use, Plus It's More Affordable!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MiniFoo posted:

yeah now that i think about it, my 360 controller has some deadzone issues on one of its analog sticks, maybe that's it (i leave it plugged in all the time)
my 360 controller does the same thing :tipshat:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Awia posted:

AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2: Now With Even Better Sound, Just as Easy to Use, Plus It's More Affordable!

i want 2 bbelieve

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

MiniFoo posted:

powercfg /lastwake will tell you what device brought the system out of sleep

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
how hard is it to put linux on a mac laptop? is it the same amount of janitoring as a normal laptop?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mac laptops come w/ Linux preinstalled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Corla Plankun posted:

how hard is it to put linux on a mac laptop? is it the same amount of janitoring as a normal laptop?

assuming we're talking about a modern intel system yes

you can do the EFI route if you want, or the garbage legacy option

why you would despoil a MacBook with slackware is beyond me