Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

And Megaman 8 is somehow worse! Luckily 9 is incredible and 10 is also really good.

Ummmmm...

Megaman 7 is bad because of a sprite. Yeah sure, whatever. Go troll elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Austrian mook posted:

Ummmmm...

Everything with sprites is bad. Drink 7-Up.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
8's fine.

I don't like 9's level design. 10 was an improvement.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Austrian mook posted:

Ummmmm...

No it's bad because the levels, bosses and music suck. It is nowhere near 8 in that regard, though. That game is a steaming turd.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Everything with sprites is bad. Drink 7-Up.

Uh-oh.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

No it's bad because the levels, bosses and music suck. It is nowhere near 8 in that regard, though. That game is a steaming turd.

:wtc:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mega Man 7 is actually really fun! It's definitely not better than any of the NES games (well, maybe MM5) but it's still a drat good game in its own right.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Kapp'n song remix for Smash Bros may be the best song on the soundtrack :swoon:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

JordanKai posted:

Mega Man 7 is actually really fun! It's definitely not better than any of the NES games (well, maybe MM5) but it's still a drat good game in its own right.

Thank you, Jordan

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Does Nintendo usually go to TGS?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm shocked. What a surprise!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Does Nintendo usually go to TGS?
Is that supposed to be TGS? They don't call it MH4 Ultimate over there.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

8's fine.

I don't like 9's level design.
I don't remember much from 8 that was really that fun, but at least it had some ideas attached to it and (most of)the levels weren't slogs. It also had the ball which added an optional skill ceiling to traversing levels.

Megaman 7 and 9 both suffer from having way too many stages with boring and/or poorly utilized stage hazards that are more likely to kill you quick instead of allow any mistakes. About the only reason Megaman 9 is hard is because there's so much in it that will instant-kill you. Most weapons in both are pretty lackluster, though I can't name a single Megaman game that has great weapons all around, and most of the robot masters really phoned it in with the difficulty(the only reason Tornadoman is slightly hard is the same reason as Burstman: Spikes in the boss room).

Also, as much as some people might not want to hear it, yes, Megaman's larger sprite in 7 is a detriment to the level design; Everything had to be resized along with him while the SNES only had so much space that it could all fit into without making everything a sprawling giant area like Megaman X. I also don't generally like the very bulbous style for the robots but that's just me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Is that supposed to be TGS? They don't call it MH4 Ultimate over there.
Is there some other convention/expo going on that's not TGS next week?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Is there some other convention/expo going on that's not TGS next week?
Apparently its from some German anime con(??), looks like it was a mistake, its set up next to the 3DS demo area.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BFC posted:

Most weapons in both are pretty lackluster,

Um, what? Mega Man 9 has one of the strongest selections of weapons in a game period. They are both versatile and powerful. Black Hole Bomb, Jewel Satellite, and Laser Trident are all immensely useful and powerful items and Concrete Shot is a tremendously good tool-oriented ability. Even the lesser moves like Plug Ball and Tornado Blow are still fairly good.

I can understand the complaints about MM9's level design (though I don't agree with them) but saying the weapons are lackluster is incredibly wrong.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 13, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BFC posted:

I don't remember much from 8 that was really that fun, but at least it had some ideas attached to it and (most of)the levels weren't slogs. It also had the ball which added an optional skill ceiling to traversing levels.

Megaman 7 and 9 both suffer from having way too many stages with boring and/or poorly utilized stage hazards that are more likely to kill you quick instead of allow any mistakes. About the only reason Megaman 9 is hard is because there's so much in it that will instant-kill you. Most weapons in both are pretty lackluster, though I can't name a single Megaman game that has great weapons all around, and most of the robot masters really phoned it in with the difficulty(the only reason Tornadoman is slightly hard is the same reason as Burstman: Spikes in the boss room).

Also, as much as some people might not want to hear it, yes, Megaman's larger sprite in 7 is a detriment to the level design; Everything had to be resized along with him while the SNES only had so much space that it could all fit into without making everything a sprawling giant area like Megaman X. I also don't generally like the very bulbous style for the robots but that's just me.

JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE

"I'm Aqua Man, but you can call me handsome!"

I disagree about MM9, the weapons in that game are excellent.

EDIT: MM10 had that hard mode that was bullshit, mostly because I couldn't get past the midboss in Sheep Man's stage. And then when I did I died at Sheep Man. loving hard mode, man.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have 2 questions for current Wii U owners. I am thinking about buying a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo for $200. Is it worth it or should I just pay the full $300 for a new one? Second as a PS4 owner, am I stupid for wanting a Wii U just to play Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros., and the new Zelda when it comes out? The last Nintendo console I loved was the N64, but I have nostalgia for Nintendo first party games. The Rayman game for the PS4 scratched that itch, but still it is no Mario. I just want to feel like as a gamer I spent my money wisely.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

homeless snail posted:

Apparently its from some German anime con(??), looks like it was a mistake, its set up next to the 3DS demo area.

so the dream is dead? :(

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

homeless snail posted:

I think I just suffered whiplash from the sudden shift in emotions. :saddowns:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

nate fisher posted:

I have 2 questions for current Wii U owners. I am thinking about buying a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo for $200. Is it worth it or should I just pay the full $300 for a new one? Second as a PS4 owner, am I stupid for wanting a Wii U just to play Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros., and the new Zelda when it comes out? The last Nintendo console I loved was the N64, but I have nostalgia for Nintendo first party games. The Rayman game for the PS4 scratched that itch, but still it is no Mario. I just want to feel like as a gamer I spent my money wisely.
There's a simple test for whether or not the Wii U is for you: Do you enjoy Nintendo games? If yes, go ahead and buy it; their first party output on the platform has been absolutely stellar so far. If not, don't bother (and why are you even asking in the first place). As to your other question, I haven't heard about any drawbacks of buying refurbished but since that's not what I did, others might know more about that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

YUSSSS

homeless snail posted:

By "mistake" I really hope you don't mean "that Wii U logo was supposed to be a 3DS logo"

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

PrBacterio posted:

There's a simple test for whether or not the Wii U is for you: Do you enjoy Nintendo games? If yes, go ahead and buy it; their first party output on the platform has been absolutely stellar so far. If not, don't bother (and why are you even asking in the first place). As to your other question, I haven't heard about any drawbacks of buying refurbished but since that's not what I did, others might know more about that.

As someone who grew up on the NES and SNES, I absolutely enjoy and love Nintendo first party games. My top 10 list of games are littered with Nintendo first party games. I have my PS4 to scratch the itch of other games like Destiny, Last of Us, etc., but I still feel like something is missing (the games of my youth). I played Mario Kart 8 for the first time waiting for Destiny at GameStop, and I can't get it out of my mind. I guess I'm just trying to push myself over the ledge of spending the money.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Don't you dare play with my heart this way.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

ImpAtom and Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Megaman 9 weapons are excellent
Tornado Blow has one interesting use with increasing Megaman's jump height and otherwise it's a room-clearer which we've seen many times before, Laser Trident was basically a weapon version of the megabuster, Plug Ball is a carbon-copy of Bubble Lead/Search Snake, Jewel Satellite is probably the best shield because it reflects everything and takes a beating but there's been 5 or so in the series already, I'd like to enjoy Concrete Shot but it's use is limited and it's been done better before with Cold Man's Ice Wall in Megaman and Bass, and both Hornet Chaser and Magma Bazooka are re-skins of older powers.

I'm not denying Black Hole Bomb, though. It's a cool weapon. I just think Megaman 9 didn't do much with new ideas for weapons so much as it re-skinned existing ones.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

enojy posted:

YUSSSS

By "mistake" I really hope you don't mean "that Wii U logo was supposed to be a 3DS logo"
That's exactly what I mean, but you'd have to be pretty dumb to not think that they're gonna do a HD upport at some point. Gotta remember that in Japan it was a full year year between Portable 3rd and Portable 3rd HD ver, and another year between MH3G and MH3G HD ver. For once we're actually getting a Monster Hunter game at almost the same time Japan is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BFC posted:

Tornado Blow has one interesting use with increasing Megaman's jump height and otherwise it's a room-clearer which we've seen many times before, Laser Trident was basically a weapon version of the megabuster, Plug Ball is a carbon-copy of Bubble Lead/Search Snake, Jewel Satellite is probably the best shield because it reflects everything and takes a beating but there's been 5 or so in the series already, I'd like to enjoy Concrete Shot but it's use is limited and it's been done better before with Cold Man's Ice Wall in Megaman and Bass, and both Hornet Chaser and Magma Bazooka are re-skins of older powers.

I'm not denying Black Hole Bomb, though. It's a cool weapon. I just think Megaman 9 didn't do much with new ideas for weapons so much as it re-skinned existing ones.

There's a limited amount of things you can do with MM powers but the difference s in the details.

MM9 was very careful to make every ability distinctive and useful. Even Laser Trident, which is probably the most 'boring' weapon, is still useful in its ability to pierce barriers, when used in conjunction with Concrete Shot, and the fact that it is powerful and versatile enough to replace the Mega Buster without being as absurdly overpowered as Storm Tornado or Metal Blade. MM9's weapon lineup is one of the most coherently strong and well-designed in the franchise with each having a distinctive and interesting niche. (Aside from maybe Magma bazooka which is a bit underutilized.)

I can't imagine why you'd say Concrete Shot has limited use though. It is absurdly good and makes it extremely easy to get past a lot of obstacles without difficulty. It is a much better weapon than Cold Wall. It can be used on walls or floors, can freeze certain barriers or traps, and in general is incredibly more versatile than Cold Wall which just makes a block you can stand on or push.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 13, 2014

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

nate fisher posted:

The refurbished version from Nintendo will be the best bang for your buck outside of an extremely unlikely crazy Black Friday deal but that way has the drawback of no instant gratification. You should get Super Mario 3d World on top of the other games you listed. It's a drag that you missed out on the NSMB/SM3dW eShop sale and the Mario Kart 8 free game deal but it should still be pretty easy for you to get good value out of the system if you can afford to buy it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So it looks like the treehouse is over and there's still no official release date for Smash Bros WiiU. That's disappointing.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Carrasco posted:

So it looks like the treehouse is over and there's still no official release date for Smash Bros WiiU. That's disappointing.
There was not much chance they were going to announce the release date of Smash for Wii U before the 3DS version released. I did expect a release date for Captain Toad, though.

homeless snail posted:

I will continue to believe.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well the WiiU is continuing to outsell PS4 in Japan, so I'd think if they do make a console version it will probably be on WiiU where they have the engine running already.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

nate fisher posted:

As someone who grew up on the NES and SNES, I absolutely enjoy and love Nintendo first party games. My top 10 list of games are littered with Nintendo first party games. I have my PS4 to scratch the itch of other games like Destiny, Last of Us, etc., but I still feel like something is missing (the games of my youth). I played Mario Kart 8 for the first time waiting for Destiny at GameStop, and I can't get it out of my mind. I guess I'm just trying to push myself over the ledge of spending the money.

Yeah, it's a great secondary system, and completely worth the price of admission. The refurb is the way to go. They are almost always immaculate. I think I've read 1 or 2 stories of people having an issue in the past 4 months. I got one and it's an amazing system for the price. Mine looked like it hadn't been touched by human hands.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Mega Man 9 is my favorite MM game after MMX!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I enjoyed MM9 but I could never beat the...um, I don't even remember, it was the Air-Man like guy (but not Air Man). His stage was just loving brutal and death and I never won.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The thing is there's a shop and E-tanks are cheap as hell in both MM9 and 10. The only way you should die once you make it to a boss is if you're limiting yourself from using the shop. Which I wouldn't blame you.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

nate fisher posted:

The Wii U is a great system. Get it! Also make sure to pick up Super Mario 3D World a well. If you like Super Mario World on the SNES, you will love SM3DW. Even if you didn't or didn't play it, you still probably will love it! (If you hate Mario it won't change your mind, though, and you have no soul if this is true.)

Also worth grabbing is Lego City Undercover. It's like GTA with Lego people. It's super goofy and has tons of content.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Mega Man 9 is my favorite MM game after MMX!
I've never played Mega Man, I love Castlevania games. Is Mega Man X (the one on sale on Wii U right now) a good place to start?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fritzler posted:

I've never played Mega Man, I love Castlevania games. Is Mega Man X (the one on sale on Wii U right now) a good place to start?

Yes, it's as good a place as any. It is probably the most accessible starting point the franchise has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Fritzler posted:

Absolutely yes. The design in that game is excellent even if its not as difficult as Castlevania.

• Locked thread